Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Twenty-Seven: Heated Encounter

by Giroro5X 2 reviews

Sorry it's been awhile since the last update, headed home for the weekend. Really enjoyed it, had a great time. It was good to see my family and friends again. I've been really looking forward ...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-10-24 - Updated: 2006-10-24 - 4570 words

0Unrated



Roses of the Valley

Chapter Twenty-Seven: Heated Encounter



"Hi Yakone!" one of the girls giggled as she waved towards the teenager, her friends blushing and smiling as they gossiped, watching him on his way to the plaza.

He grinned smugly, winking at the girl as the two passed the group.

His superior had grown to dislike traveling with the waterbender, his popularity with the girls of the North Pole inspiring a slight jealousy. He observed Yakone's movement, noticing that his confident swagger had returned. Miksa did not approve of such displays, which could so easily be interpreted as arrogance, yet could not help but be glad that the young waterbender had finally stopped pouting.

"You seem to be in a good mood," he noted.

"Eh, decided to stop sulking. Not my style," Yakone shrugged.

"I'm glad for that."

"I mean, you were only doing what you figured was right. Can't blame you for that."

"Wise," Miksa noted flatly, disliking the implication that his actions were in the wrong.

"Arnook'll..."

"Chief Arnook," he corrected.

"Sure. Chief Arnook'll pack them up and send them on their way, no worries."

"I wouldn't presume," the warrior warned.

"I would. Those soldiers're harmless, Arnook isn't..."

"Chief Arnook."

"Stop that."

"Refer to him properly."

"What difference does it make?" his eyebrow rose as he questioned.

"It's a matter of respect."

"Fine, look, when I say 'Arnook,' just imagine I said 'Chief' before it."

"No."

"Why not?"

"I will not permit you to be disrespectful for no other reason than your own sheer laziness."

"I'm not lazy!" he protested.

"That's not what master Pakku says."

"Pakku's an old jerk, he thinks everyone's lazy," he looked up towards the plaza, the two entering quietly.

Rumors concerning the Fire Nation soldiers had spread quickly, concerned warriors and members of the tribe gathered to determine the validity of the notion.

Yakone and Miksa took their places, sitting calmly as Chief Arnook entered, his wife and Pakku sitting to either side of him.

The young waterbender grinned confidently, assured that he already knew what was to come. He folded his arms, tilting his head as he watched the scene.

"There has been much talk of an armed Fire Nation operation against us, a sudden and powerful invasion. I assure you, such notions are entirely false," Arnook was well aware of the worries haunting his people, his statement meant to clear any fears that weighed upon them.

Yakone smirked, the speech beginning just as he had predicted it. The sound of low whispers and sighs of relief could be heard throughout the crowd.

"To be certain; a Fire Nation ship was discovered a short distance from the North Pole. However, this was a lone ship that had been ravaged by battle. The men aboard had neither weapons nor armor."

Miksa glanced towards his subordinate, narrowing his eyes as his smug expression grew. The crowd had grown quieter, paying careful attention to the Chief's words.

"We are all well aware of the threat posed by the Fire Nation. To set these soldiers free would pose a serious risk to our wellbeing." There was gravity to his words, the war forcing him to take drastic measures.

The waterbender's eyebrow rose up, the statement unexpected.

"The soldiers will remain here at the North Pole, as prisoners of war." Arnook stood firmly, his posture implying his confidence in the decision.

It was greeted with more low whispers and discussion, the oldest veterans nodding in approval.

"What!?" Yakone stood, the only voice of protest.

Arnook looked in the direction of the waterbender, studying the teenager.

Pakku narrowed his eyes, recognizing the voice instantly.

"You can't just hold them prisoner; they didn't do anything wrong!"

"Yakone," Miksa whispered, nearly growling as he motioned for his subordinate to calm down.

"They were dying of cold and hunger when we found them, and you're going to imprison them?!" He slapped the warrior's hand away, his tone growing angrier.

"The Fire Nation is a..." Chief Arnook started, maintaining his civility.

"What, a ruthless enemy!? If we keep these soldiers prisoner, how are we any different?!"

"You'd do well to watch that tongue of yours," Pakku warned grimly. It was not the first time he had to tell the smug waterbender such.

"Why, can't handle hearing the truth?" he glared towards his master.

"Yakone!" Miksa's whispers grew louder.

"Yakone," Arnook's tone had grown sterner, the teenager's disrespect succeeding in offending him. "The decision is final; the soldiers shall remain as our prisoners, but I guarantee that no harm will come to them."

"Like that matters," he glared.

"You will not sit and ridicule our traditions and cultures for the sake of a lone ideal!" his frame tightened in anger.

"When did culture outweigh humanity!?"

Miksa wrapped his arms under Yakone's, dragging the screaming waterbender out of the plaza.

Pakku stared after him with agitation, closing his eyes as they disappeared from sight.

"What were you thinking?!" Miksa threw him to the ground, watching him with a mix of shock and anger.

"Shut up," he sat up slowly, glaring towards the ocean.

"Have you lost your mind?! You think you can just talk to Chief Arnook and master Pakku however you want?!"

"If I don't, who will?" he nearly growled the question as he turned towards his superior. "You all seem perfectly content letting people who did nothing to offend us rot in a cell."

"They're Fire Nation!" he screamed.

"They're people!" he stood as he screamed back, face to face with the warrior.

"Yakone," Miksa looked at the ground, exasperated. "Chief Arnook wouldn't have made this decision without careful deliberation. This is what's best for our people."

"No. If anything, this makes us worse. We're giving up humanity for security, how is that what's best?"

"He promised they would be taken care of, that no harm would come to them. Isn't it enough to accept that?"

The waterbender sneered, waving his hand dismissively at Miksa as he turned and walked away. Sliding his hands into his pockets, he continued staring towards the sea.

"You just don't get it."

Miksa stared after him, sighing disappointedly at his inability to make his subordinate understand.

He looked up towards the winter sky, a soft snow drifting down around them.



"Hey, you alright?"

"Hmm?" Yakone's eyes went wide, his trance disrupted.

"You alright?" the soldier repeated, his eyebrow rising curiously towards the teenager.

"Yeah, fine," he muttered, looking back towards the path before them.

"Ah," Seung smiled as they reached the edge of the pass. A large Earth Kingdom base stood in the distance, protected by a grand wall. The base itself rested atop a small mountain, nestled carefully amongst the rocks.

"We're here," he looked back towards the others, grateful that they had reached their destination safely.

Xiu smiled softly from atop Kyo, nodding. She had been worried about their arrival for days, nervous that she would unwittingly do something to cause trouble for the general. She marveled at the huge white walls surrounding the base, impressed by their size.

Yakone simply stared, uninterested.

Their pace increased as they drew closer to the base, excited that they had reached their goal.



"You..." Ryoko's pipe nearly fell from her lips as she whispered it, her eyes going wide.

Quiet fell over the dojo, the warriors standing readily to intercept any possible threat posed by the masked stranger.

Oyaji stood behind Jung, surprised by the word he had uttered.

The guardian of Bai-Jing was motionless, shocked by the encounter.

"Idiot!" she roared as she leapt forward, her foot slamming directly into the mask.

He remained still, the mask preventing him from feeling the effects of her sudden attack.

"Didn't I teach you how to dodge?!" she yelled loudly, referencing the numerous scars upon him. She lashed her fist out towards his head to further berate him.

Lifting his arm he intercepted the turtle shell strapped to her forearm as it neared his ear.

"Look at you, you even got that stupid mask busted up! What was lesson one?!" she spun quickly, her leg launching up towards his neck.

"You make the rules," he answered calmly, lifting his palm to grasp her ankle.

"What's lesson two!?" she twisted her body, retracting her leg from its attack. With a powerful step she thrust her elbow towards his gut.

"You always make the rules," he slammed his two fists together directly before her elbow, stopping it.

"Lesson three!" Her elbow remained firm against his knuckles, her forearm rising up to punch him in the chest.

"Don't break the rules." He had spent years traveling with her, reminded each day of the lessons. They had become a part of him, resulting in quick and calm responses as he met each of her attacks. His right hand shot up, grasping her fist.

"Four!" she slid back, breaking away from his brief hold. Her feet pressed hard against the ground as she launched herself forward for another assault.

"Never back down," he took a firm stance as he blocked a kick, his left arm lashing out for an attack.

"Eh? Wait, I thought that was lesson six," she ducked, his arm missing her entirely as she twisted her body, her leg sweeping out towards his ankle.

"No, lesson six is to never skin a porcupine boar with your bare hands," he strengthened his stance, her sweep having no effect on him as it knocked against his ankle. He kicked forward.

The warriors had surrounded them, fans ready as they waiting for an opening.

"Right, right," she muttered, remembering that to be an extraordinarily painful lesson they had both learned on a cool spring day. She dodged back, stepping in as both fists shot forward. "What's lesson five, then?"

His fists met hers, the two poised against one another. Their stances were identical, their bodies reflecting one another as they pushed their fists forward, neither giving any ground.

"...We are ghosts," he answered slowly. "We pledge loyalty to no nation, only to our own spirits. We will wander the lands forever, regarded as heroes by some and villains by others. In our actions, we will speak to those deaf to reason. They will attack us, attempt to silence our spirits. As ghosts, their blades should never touch us; their bending should never break us."

"Very good," she grinned as the two remained locked. "Except for you...Who else do you pledge loyalty to?" she took a half step back, lowering her body as she thrust herself against him. She understood him to be taller, using her lower center of gravity to her advantage.

He lowered himself quickly, slipping into a defensive stance as she pressed against him. He slid back, stopping near the entrance.

"You." He stood tall as he answered.

"Right," she folded her arms, grinning. "So, what's your excuse for all those scars?" she took the pipe from her mouth, inspecting it to ensure it was still lit.

"...I have none," he answered honestly. He had perceived dodging to hold a degree of cowardice to it, preferring instead to meet attacks head on. He was well aware that saying such would only result in a more heated fight between the two.

"Hmph," she grunted, lifting the pipe back to her lips. "Honest as ever," her hands rested on her hips as she watched him. "Get outside; I want fifty pushups for each scar!"

"Fifty?" one of the Kyoshi warriors whispered in surprise. She had noticed the numerous scars littering his body, wondering if her assignment was perhaps excessive.

"You're right," Ryoko muttered, her face taking on a pensive expression. She nodded her head slightly, realizing a superior form of discipline.

"A hundred for each scar! Get out there!" she bellowed, pointing towards the entrance to the dojo.

Oyaji and the Kyoshi warriors stared in shock, the number seeming entirely ridiculous.

Jung bowed respectfully, exiting the dojo with no protest. Oyaji followed, glancing back towards Ryoko as they walked away.

His mentor folded her arms, smirking. Glancing to her side, she noticed the idle students.

"Hey!" she yelled out at them. "Get back to work!"

The warriors returned to their training without hesitation. They understood Ryoko to be experienced, something that had brought them to respect her. Yet in seeing her not only fight but command the Demon of War, they felt a slight intimidation.

She grinned, returning to her place at the head of the dojo. She sat firmly, watching carefully as the warriors trained. Through the open door she could see her student, already enacting the task she had assigned him.

Ryoko smiled.



The air was warm, the last few rays of light pouring softly through the leaves of the trees above as the sun set in the distance. The night was still, the air around them motionless.

The Sarugaran temple stood in the distance, every aspect of it beautifully crafted and maintained. To the far end of the temple was the statue of Gousaru, meditating peacefully atop a short pillar with a merry smile.

Three large gates stood between the temple and Chin-Hwa, the stone path littered with a few stray leaves. He stared towards the temple, a nervous coat of sweat forming over his brow.

Wen Lan stood to his left, her frame tense as she waited for any sign of the spirit. Her eyes strained as she searched the temple carefully.

Gang stood rigid, his arms folded as he glared past the gates. To some extent he was excited, having never fought an actual spirit before.

"You sure this is where he's comin' from?" the old guard glanced towards Chin-Hwa.

"I can think of no other point from which he would originate. The temple is his home," he narrowed his eyes as he second-guessed himself, praying that he had not missed some small fact or detail.

The sun conquered, the moon claimed victory over the landscape. Its soft glow bathed the path, gentle columns of silver light falling between the trees to either side.

"Are you certain this plan will work?" she whispered, thoroughly worried. She had never seen a spirit, much less fought one.

"I hope that is the case."

"You hope?" Gang's eyebrow rose.

"There!" his eyes went wide as he lurched forward, the spectacle amazing him.

The two turned quickly, stepping into their stances as they gazed past the three gates.

The figure stood directly in front of Gousaru's statue, nothing more than a distant silhouette. It stepped forward slowly, dragging something large along the ground as it moved.

Not a word passed between the three, each silent as they waited for the spirit to reveal itself.

Concealed in darkness, it slowed its pace as it reached the temple entrance. It remained motionless, the path between them illuminated.

"Gou..." the old noble started, nearly speechless at the situation. "Gousaru..."

The spirit's eyes shot open at the voice. They were large and round, completely white. Their brightness pierced through the shadows.

Gang glared, his muscles tensing as he prepared to engage the spirit. Its sudden stare had put him at unease.

The silhouette leapt into a nearby tree with amazing speed, the branches rustling as it disappeared from sight.

Wen Lan looked towards the tree, her eyes going wide as the branches of another closer to them began rustling. Gousaru's speed had amazed her, stepping forward with intense determination.

The old guard rushed towards the tree, ready to intercept the violent spirit. He glanced towards the edge of the path as he moved, quickly inspecting the passing branches to eliminate any potential for a sneak attack.

"Gang!" Wen Lan screamed out.

He turned quickly, an intense force slamming directly into his chest. He hit the stone path hard, rolling along it until he stopped near one of the gate columns.

Chin-Hwa gazed at the spirit, the moon revealing it entirely.

Gousaru appeared to be a very large monkey, his torso and arms exhibiting powerful muscles. Three gold earrings decorated his left ear, a golden armlet upon each arm. A short black and gold bracer covered over his wrists and ankles, another near the end of his tail. He wore a finely woven red hakama stopping just above his feet. Though he stood like a man his feet were completely identical to his hands, the end of his tail revealing a fifth, slightly smaller and thinner than the others. Various markings decorated his body, his mouth twisted into a maniacal toothy grin.

The spirit carried on his shoulder a large red staff, each end coated in gold. He slammed the weapon against the ground, screeching towards the night sky.

The young noble launched forward, her hands stabbing out in an intense barrage of strikes.

Stepping back, Chin-Hwa watched worriedly as he waited for the proper moment to enact his plan.

Gousaru twisted his body quickly, chattering as he evaded each of her attacks. He leaned to the right, his left leg launching up into her hip, grasping before throwing her towards the forest.

Gang growled loudly as he rushed the spirit, his arms cutting through the air as waves of flame tore towards the enemy.

He screeched, flipping back onto his hands as he dodged the old guard's assault. His legs began blocking each of Gang's strikes, moving with just as much precision and strength as his arms.

The firebender stepped back, bringing both hands to the ground before lashing them up towards the moon. Fire tore along the ground, nearing the spirit's hands.

Gousaru pushed up, his left hand and foot grasping the large staff. Stabbing it into the ground, he pulled himself up. He tilted his head as he watched the gruff bodyguard, balancing carefully on one hand atop the weapon as the flames washed harmlessly against it.

Gang sneered, the spirit's grin enraging him as he ran towards the staff. Pressing his foot firmly against it he flipped backwards, a wave of flame rushing up towards his opponent.

Flipping off of the staff, the spirit landed firmly on his feet. He turned quickly as Wen Lan began attacking from behind, his arms moving quickly to intercept each strike. He turned his body to face directly between the two as Gang began an assault from the other side.

The three remained in this position, Gousaru using his left arm and leg to deflect the young noble while using the right to fend off the firebender.

Suspecting that the spirit was merely toying with them, Gang's anger grew. He yelled as he twisted his body, the back of his fist cutting towards Gousaru's head. His eyebrow rose up as he felt a hand wrap around his ankle, glaring as he realized the spirit had intercepted him using the hand at the end of his tail.

The sick grin turned towards Wen Lan, the threat to his right already dealt with. He launched Gang towards one of the gates, turning his whole body to deal with the young noble.

Her eyes grew with worry, understanding that she was now on the defense. She struggled to evade his attacks, barely escaping each strike.

Gousaru launched both palms forward at once, each aimed for her chest.

Wen Lan crossed her wrists before extending her hands towards his, succeeding in deflecting both. She slid back as something slammed into her stomach. Falling to her knees she panted for air, her breath escaping her.

The spirit had brought its tail up between its legs, thrusting the palm squarely against her stomach.

"Gousaru!" Chin-Hwa stepped forward, unable to stand idle while they suffered. He hoped silently for his plan to work.

The spirit turned, looking towards the sound. He stared at the old noble, freezing.

He noticed the sudden stillness, wondering quietly if the spirit perhaps recognized him, remembered his visits to the temple so many years ago.

He took a step forward, searching through the hatred that had so recently filled him for the memory of the human before him.

"Gousaru," he started quietly, not wanting to do anything to upset the spirit. His eyes went wide as he noticed Gang approaching quickly from behind it.

Snapping back to attention, Gousaru screeched. He lashed his arm out into Gang's side, swatting him to the ground as his tail slammed into Chin-Hwa, knocking him to the side of the path. Grasping his staff he dashed towards the village, screeching wildly as he disappeared from sight.

Glaring, the old guard chased after the opponent, furious that he had been unable to land even a single attack.

"Lord Chin-Hwa!" Wen Lan hurried towards him, regaining her breathing. She helped her lord up carefully.

"I am fine, Wen Lan...Please, go ahead..." he winced slightly, having been unprepared for the hit.

"My lord..."

"Please Wen Lan," he brought himself to his feet, touching his hand to the spot where Gousaru had struck him.

Worry caused her to hesitate, nodding obediently to his request. She ran towards the village, hoping she would not be too late.

The roof buckled as Gousaru landed on it, his attention darting from house to house as he searched for any member of the village. He turned his head slowly, inspecting the landscape for any forms of life.

His eyes stopped on Rou's estate, his ear twitching as it studied the mansion.

Liang's eyes went wide as he shut the door quickly, turning back to face towards the crowd. A fearful sweat trailed his face, his heart racing.

The villagers understood the fear in his expression, clinging to one another as they closed their eyes, praying that Chin-Hwa would succeed in his efforts.

Rou sat carefully, fanning herself faster to conceal her worry.

Li Mei sat beside Zian, her eyes narrowed as she gazed at the door. She had faith in those she had traveled with; they would not fail.

Gousaru heard the door click shut, his body rising as he slowly walked along the roof. He leapt to the ground, his right hand planted firmly as he leaned forward. Standing calmly the spirit continued his approach, stopping as he reached the entrance to the estate.

He looked up towards the door, grinning wildly. Thunderous footsteps to his side called his attention away from his destination, Boots ramming into him at full speed.

Gousaru fell to the ground, sliding briefly before flipping up onto his feet. He screeched at the beast, slapping his staff against the ground rapidly.

Boots snorted loudly, his front paw clawing readily at the soil. With a loud roar he started forward, lowering his head to gore the enemy.

The spirit turned its body, sidestepping the determined beast as he faced towards its left. His muscles tightened as he gripped the staff, slamming the butt of it into the creature's side.

The mighty rhino slid along the ground, slamming into the wall of Rou's estate. He growled lowly as he regained himself, turning to face the spirit. The staff smashed into the side of his head, forcing Boots to release a pained moan. He shook his body violently, backing away from the opponent.

Gousaru gave the creature no quarter, stepping in to strike again. He lashed the weapon out quickly, chattering as something dropped down between them.

Bolin thrust his three section staff against the spirit's attack, focusing carefully as he strained to stop the weapon from knocking into Boots.

The violent spirit leapt back, howling as he slammed his staff against the wall of Rou's estate in agitation.

Zian's grandson took his stance as he stared towards the spirit, nervous as to what would follow. He had faith in lord Chin-Hwa's plan, yet could not sit by idly while others risked their own safety for his village. The amount of effort he exerted into merely stopping Gousaru's attack made him well aware of the difference in power between them.

Boots snorted, regaining himself as he clawed at the ground.

The spirit continued slapping his staff against the wall angrily, stabbing the edge of it into the ground as he readied himself. He glanced behind him as the sound of quick footsteps sounded out through the night air.

Gang slid to a halt, glaring towards the spirit. He smirked proudly towards his komodo rhino, taking his firebending stance.

Wen Lan soon arrived behind him, preparing herself as her eyes locked onto Gousaru.

Silence passed between them, the spirit standing still.

The old guard attacked first.



"So how's Bai-Jing?" Ryoko asked calmly as she lifted the container of sake, taking a quick drink from it.

"Good," Jung answered quietly as he continued the task she had assigned him.

She sat on top of his back as he did the pushups, looking up towards the stars.

"These girls're pretty good," she complimented the Kyoshi warriors, smirking slightly. "They learn fast."

"I'm glad," he nodded without pause.

She grinned as she glanced down towards him.

"What's the best way t'learn about someone?" she continued quizzing him.

"To listen."

"Good. What do we listen with?" she looked back towards the stars.

"With every part of our bodies, with every ounce of our spirit."

"Right." She was impressed that he had remembered all of her teachings. He had always taken that particular lesson to heart, listening with his ears, heart and body. It was a rare quality, one that had convinced her to take him as her student so long ago.

"I'm listening right now," she grinned.

He remained silent as he continued the pushups.

"Your frame isn't as tense as it was before. You've lost that edge of anger you had."

Jung continued without pause.

"Makes me think that things're more'n 'good' at Bai-Jing," she smirked as she glanced down towards him.

He slowed slightly, quickly resuming the pace of her assignment.

"Knew it," she grinned confidently as she took another swig of the sake. "The war," she continued, listening carefully to his actions and frame, "is still raging. So it's not like you've run out of things t'fight. And I doubt you're the sort who'd calm down naturally over time and blend in t'things suddenly."

The warrior continued.

"So. What's 'er name?"

He froze midway through a pushup, continuing slowly as he attempted to regain his pace.

"Ha ha, I knew it!" Ryoko boasted, lifting her arms to the air. "I knew it! Wow, finally. Took you long enough," she teased as she brought the container to her lips once again.

His face grew warm beneath the mask as he continued, nearly finished with the assignment.

"Well, I'm glad for you," she grinned. "What're your plans now that you're finished here?"

"I will return to the valley."

"Nice," she nodded, the corner of her mouth lifting into a smirk. "I'll tag along with you for a bit. I'm getting' bored of this island. I can't just settle down somewhere like you," she continued teasing as she reached her arm back, flicking her finger against the back of his head.

"Alright," he nodded.

Silence passed between them, the ocean bringing in a gentle breeze. Jung slowed as it washed over them, Ryoko glancing down curiously towards him.

"...I am glad," he started. "To see you again." He returned to the pushups, only one hundred away from completing the task.

She smiled gently, looking back up towards the stars as she lifted the container again.

"Likewise," she said quietly as she took another sip.

The warrior continued, his mentor sitting atop him.
Sign up to rate and review this story