Categories > Movies > Star Wars > Rogue

5

by Togot 1 review

Jex deals with Alera while he searches for the next relic and information on what the Sith are up to

Category: Star Wars - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Parody, Sci-fi - Characters: Amidala - Warnings: [!] [?] [V] - Published: 2006-11-03 - Updated: 2006-11-04 - 3131 words

0Unrated
-Jex looked over the list of likely planets that the Jedi had given him. There were nearly a dozen worlds with ruins similar to those on Toba'an. No one knew who built them or why, and none of them had been properly studied. Jex sighed, not at all optimistic about his chances of actually finding what he was looking for. He had sent a message to Dag, asking his old friend to look into the matter.

-In the meantime Jex had chose a planet and set a course. He sat lazily in his chair, twirling one of his light sabers with his fingers as he tried to think. He was still annoyed that the Jedi had picked up Croaxis' tab and taken all the credit for his work. Although he knew that Croaxis could use the money to repair the damage the Sith had done, something about it just didn't sit right with him.

-He tossed his light saber up, snatched it out of the air and returned it to his belt. There was nothing he could do about it at this point. His time would be better spent preparing for whatever trouble he was getting himself into. He left the cockpit and moved into the cargo hold where Alera sat on the floor in quiet meditation. Normally the Nomad would have been too small for more than one person, but since she stayed put and her needs were small, Jex hardly knew she was there.

-Jex sat down at his work bench and began inspecting the items he had purchased on Toba'an. He had replenished his supply of micro bombs and had had a full tune-up done on the Nomad free of charge. His food stores were full and the ship was fueled, so the only thing left to do was to double check his new equipment. It wasn't that he didn't trust the merchants who sold him the items, but Jex had learned the hard way that it paid to be sure.

-He turned in his seat and extended a hand toward one of the cargo containers. The lid slid open and several micro bombs, thermal detonators and a few other devices floated up out of the container and over to his bench. He began inspecting each one closely, even taking some of them apart and reassembling them. One by one he looked the items over and when he finished with each one, he sent them floating back to their crate. Alera opened her eyes and observed Jex with a disapproving expression.

-"Do you always misuse your powers so?" She asked.

-"I'm not misusing, I'm training," Jex said dismissively. He had preferred it when she had been quiet. He opened up a thermal detonator and inspected its triggering mechanism. Everything seemed to be in order so Jex focused hard and reassembled the device with his mind. When finished he let out a deep breath, such precise control was very taxing. Satisfied with his own work, he then returned the last explosive to its container.

-"Training in the use of the force should be done during private exercises, not as an excuse for laziness."

-"You're sitting on your butt while I'm ensuring we survive and you're calling me lazy?" Jex asked, almost chuckling. He shook his head and finished with the last of the items, a personal cloaking field generator. It hadn't been easy to find, but well worth the extra effort. Like the rest of the devices, Jex used the force to return it to its container and then closed the lid.

-"Would it kill you to get up and actually walk over to the container?"

-"No, but this way is more difficult."

-"Care to explain that?" Alera asked sarcastically.

-Jex let out a disappointed sigh, remembering why he always worked alone. "Try it for yourself," he said, "try it and see."

-Alera held out her hand and squinted her eyes in concentration. She easily removed the lid but had much more difficulty with its contents. With great effort, the bundle of devices rose out of the container and floated in mid air. Alera relaxed her expression and smiled proudly, but when she looked at Jex she saw that he was not impressed. He simply shook his head and looked away to begin working on another piece of equipment.

-Slighted by his indifference, Alera lost her concentration and the items dropped back into their container. The loud clatter caused by the explosives made her tense up but Jex didn't even seem to notice. Alera let out a sigh of relief when the ship wasn't destroyed and Jex shot her a smirk.

-"Relax padawan," Jex said, "I made sure they weren't armed before I let you try. Having live explosives lying around a ship is a very bad idea."

-"I am no longer a padawan," Alera said indignantly.

-"But you haven't been a knight for very long have you? In fact I would bet that you have never been on your own before. You were sent with me as nothing more than an observer. You keep the council updated on my progress and you stay out of my way. I'll take care of the rest."

-"Well...that was humbling," Alera said. She knew that Jex was correct; if he had needed help, master Frell would have chosen a more experienced Jedi than she to accompany Jex on his mission. Her role was to observe and report, nothing more. "How long until we reach Dantooine?"

-"We aren't going to Dantooine," Jex answered without looking at her, "we are going to Tronask, it's a gamorrean colony."

-"But that was the last planet on the list? Master Frell organized the search list with the most likely planets at the top; that would be Dantooine."

-"And if the Jedi determined that, the Sith probably did too. Rather than enter into another confrontation with them, I would rather get a single piece and give it to the council. That way my job gets done, the Sith can't complete whatever they are trying to make and the Jedi can guard the final piece."

-"But...a Gamorrean colony?"

-"Relax, "Jex said, "it's winter there now, they'll be in a more agreeable mood. Besides, according to the data, the temple isn't near any of their camps."

-Alera nodded; impressed that ex had thought their mission through so thoroughly.

-"Now," Jex said, "get me a single thermal detonator out of the container so I can double check everything again and make sure you didn't damage any of it."

-"But I can't see through the container?" Alera protested, "how can I manipulate an object when I can't even see it?"

-Jex reached a hand out to the container and a single thermal detonator. The bomb floated in midair for a moment and then returned to its container.

-"The Jedi must have been desperate to knight someone as inexperienced as you," Jex said with a grin, "just because you can't see it doesn't matter. You know that it's in there; all you have to do is feel around for it with the force. Everything feels a little different when you touch it with the force. If you can attune yourself to that subtle difference, you can move things even if they are on the other side of a wall"

-Alera considered Jex's words and her eyes drifted down to his belt and rested on his light sabers. "I've never even hear of a white or a black light saber before," she said, "how did you come to posses both?"

-Jex paused as he thought of how to answer the question. He grasped both of his weapons and looked at them nostalgically. "I guess you could say they are the reasons I left the Jedi order," Jex answered. "This is my justice," Jex said as he activated his white blade. Its radiant light seemed to fill the room and chase away every shadow. "And this is my vengeance." Jex activated his black blade and Alera watched in wonder as the darkness seemed to suck in the surrounding light, as if it were a black hole that threatened to consume everything around it. Jex looked at his weapons with a trance like admiration that Alera almost envied.

-"Master Breck said you left because you could not see the greater good," Alera said.

-Jex shot her an angry glance that took her off guard. She had never seen such rage fill a person's eyes so quickly before. His fists tightened on his weapons and he clenched his teeth as if to fight back whatever fury burned inside of him.

-"There was no good in what he did!" Jex growled. He broke his gaze from Alera and stared at the floor but Alera knew he did not see the smooth metal of the ship; he was looking at whatever past event fed the anger in his heart.

-"What Master Breck did?" Alera said with surprise.

-Her question seemed to snap Jex back to the present and he quickly regained his composure. "Never mind," he said as he deactivated the weapons and stood up. It was clear that he felt he had told Alera more than he had meant to. "I'm going to see if I can get any more information on our mission. You keep working on getting that thermal detonator out of the container."

-Jex walked out of the cargo hold and back into the cockpit. He sat in his chair, pinching the bridge of his nose as he pushed the memories back where they belonged. A red light on the console blinked and Jex let out a sigh as he pushed the button. He smiled with relief as Dag's familiar face appeared on the communication screen.

-"Dag, please tell me you have good news."

-The Ithorian seemed to consider Jex for a moment, it was either the drained look on Jex's face or the tone of his voice, but it was clear that Dag knew something was bothering his friend.

-"Well I did a lot of checking and from what I can gather a lot of mercenaries have been disappearing lately. No one knows where they are going or why, but if I had to guess, I would say that they are being hired on as that army you encountered on Toba'an."

-"So now I'm fighting a whole army?" Jex asked, "that's just great. Any news on these artifacts I'm hunting down?"

-"There are over a dozen possibilities, none of which are good."

-"I see...well keep up the good work. I'm on my way to Tronask to try and find a piece of the puzzle. I'll give you a call when I'm done."

-"Good luck, old friend," Dag said. The screen went blank and Jex sat back in his chair. A Sith with an army, Jex thought to himself, things were getting better by the minute.

-Several hours later, sweat dripped off of Alera's face as she concentrated on the container in front of her. She focused her mind and reached inside of the container with the force. She sensed the items inside, feeling their energy and the force that flowed through them. She found the one that she was looking for and gripped it with the force. Slowly, it rose out of the container and floated over to the table where the other five rested. Alera slowly lowered it down next to the last one that she had moved and then she relaxed her mind and released it from the grip of the force. She let out a sigh and caught her breath; the task Jex had set for her had not been easy, but she was improving.

-She cleared her mind in preparation for the next attempt, but she before she could try again, she sensed the Nomad decelerate. A moment later she felt the life of the nearby planet and knew that they had arrived at their destination. She looked at the thermal detonators lined up on the table and they floated through the air together and returned to their container.

-A short while later, the Nomad set down on an icy plateau. The loading ramp lowered and a cold wind shot through the ship. Jex stepped out of the cockpit and opened a small case that contained thermal gear. He put it on as well as any other equipment he felt he might need and then tossed a communicator to Alera.

-"Keep that with you and stay ready until I come back," he said, "I'll be back as soon as I can, and don't let your guard done."

-Jex left the ship without waiting for Alera's response and headed in the direction of the ruins. The thick veil of snow limited his visibility but Jex managed to make his way. He had landed a short distance away from the temple in the event that the Sith were already there. This way he could get close and asses the situation without being noticed.

-After walking through the snow storm for several minutes, Jex saw the temple come into view, as well as another ship that had already landed. It was a small craft with a sleek design. Jex guessed that it was probably built for speed and only carried one or two passengers. It made sense; the Sith wouldn't need to bring an army or recruit the locals into forced labor if the temple wasn't buried. Why draw attention to yourself when you can just send one person to quickly retrieve a single item?

-Jex was about to reach out with the force to see if he could sense a presence but thought better of it. The enemy was most likely a Sith and Jex had the element of surprise. If he used the force and they sensed him he would loose that advantage, so instead he made his way over to the ship.

-Jex found one set of footprints in the snow leading away from the ship and decided to follow them. They led him right to the entrance that the Sith had used and considered setting an ambush. He knew that the Sith had probably obtained the relic by now and the only way Jex was going to get it was to take it by force. His best chance of doing that would be to use surprise, but if he sat out in the cold and waited it would make his muscles sluggish, even with the thermal gear. His best bet was to go inside and find a better spot.

-As he traveled through the narrow passageways of the temple, Jex noticed that the architecture was similar to the one on Toba'an. It resembled both Sith and Jedi styles, which was very unusual. There was writing on the wall but Jex didn't understand it and he didn't have time to translate it despite the potential relevance to his mission. He heard a loud noise reverberate through the stone walls of the temple and knew that the Sith had found the relic.

-Jex hurried in the direction of the noise and came upon a large chamber, just like the one on Toba'an. Jex smiled as he saw the person standing in front of the opened sarcophagus. It was the same woman that he had fought before. She stood proudly, holding her prize in the palm of her hand. It was a small, cylindrical object that looked deceptively harmless. But if the Sith wanted it, Jex wanted them not to have it.

-Jex stretched out his fingers and the object was snatched out of the woman's hand by the invisible force which brought into Jex's grip. The Sith shot Jex a surprised look, which quickly turned to annoyance. Jex shot her a cocky grin as he looked over his newly acquired prize before he placed it in his waist satchel.

-"We need to stop meeting like this," Jex said.

-"Don't worry," the woman said as she activated a new, single bladed light saber and stepped forward, "we won't be meeting ever again Jedi, of that I assure you."

-"I told you before," Jex said with irritation, "I'm not a Jedi."

-"Then why are you doing the dirty work of the council?" Alera asked. "My master could use your skills; you should join the winning side."

-"The council pays well," Jex said, "and besides, I don't like hurting innocent people."

-"The populace on Toba'an was not harmed. Nor have we harmed the Gamorreans. Even your life was spared."

-"Showing concern for bystanders and even mercy to an enemy...not very Sith of you," Jex said as he readied his own weapons and he and the Sith circled each other. "My guess is you had to hurry because the other Jedi showed up."

-"I doubt that will be the case this time."

-"Well before we put that to the test, mind telling me your name?" Jex asked, "I missed it last time when you trying to kill me."

-"Darkana, and you are?"

-"Call me Jex."

-Darkana seemed to recognize his name, and for the first time she looked hesitant. Jex didn't know why she knew his name, and he didn't care. He took the advantage and attacked Darkana. She quickly snapped back to the moment and countered, but she was on the defensive and Jex was pushing her back hard. It was clear that she was less used to fighting with a regular light saber, and it was all she could do to stave off Jex's attacks.

-Darkana fought hard but quickly realized she was no match for Jex without her preferred weapon. She leapt backwards and landed on the opposite side of the opened sarcophagus, putting a barrier between the two of them. She thrust her palm at the heavy stone and it slid forward towards Jex.

-Jex jumped over the lump of rock, but when he landed he saw that Darkana had run away. He considered giving chase, but he had what he had come for and he had no desire to go out of his way for a fight. Jex hurried out of the temple the way he had come in. Once outside, Jex stopped for a moment and then turned to face the entrance. He held out his hand and reached out with the force. It penetrated and gripped the stone, bending it to Jex's will. The frame of the doorway cracked and collapsed in a crumbled heap, sealing Darkana inside.

-Jex knew that she could get herself out, but it would slow her down. He turned his back on the temple and patted his prize to reassure himself that it was still there before he started heading back to the Nomad. He hadn't gone far when Darkana's ship caught his eye, and he got an idea.
Sign up to rate and review this story