Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > The Bass Files

The truth is, bassists do it with rhythm.

by FrostedGlass 8 reviews

This chapter has Pete staring at something he really likes.

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-11-04 - Updated: 2006-11-04 - 940 words

0Unrated
28. The truth is, bassists do it with rhythm.


"Make yourself comfortable," I motioned towards my sofa, "I´ll just get the map with Patrick´s notes."

"Sua thang," Pete plopped down on the couch. Pete Wentz in da house. My house. Envy me.

He had agreed to filling in for me during our band´s tour and now it was my job to teach him our songs. What was in it for me? Well, frankly, it was the least I could do to make it up to the guys. I still felt bad that I had lied to them. I really didn´t want to spend three weeks 24/7 with Andy though. Tthat´s why I hadn´t even bothered to talk to the principal about it.

Andy was annoying me beyond my knowledge of childish insults lately. Just his mere presence reminded me of the moment he had accused me of not coming on tour because of his foxing around. Anyways, it´s not a secret that there was no way in pixied fairy land* that I would have never gotten off for that kind of period of time anyway. At least that´s how I tried to soothe my guilty conscience.

"How long you think this is gonna take? ´Cause I´m meeting someone later," Pete leaned back and placed his arms on the backrest, checking out my living room with a judgmental look in his eyes. It was probably a shock to him that other people did not have a mirror on each wall.

"Not too long, I guess," I sighed. "I mean a bass pro like yourself should be picking up on our kiddie melodies pretty quickly." It wasn´t really sarcastic. I´ve heard him play and his band definitely played more complicated stuff than we did. I just wasn´t too psyched to spend my leisure time with him and then he´d have to go and be all annoying from the start.

"Alright," I spread a few sheets on the table, "let´s begin with these songs..."

Pete eyed the scribblings on the paper and smiled smugly, "Piece of cake."

He was actually right about it. An hour later we had gotten through all of ´Blue in the face´s songs, even the ones that were still under construction. The man was definitely a gifted bassist. And the man was also a gifted blabbermouth, which resulted in him pointing out his aforementioned talent at varios points during practice. Duh to me, with a name as long as his there was no place for having modesty as an additional middlename.

"Did you talk to Andy about practicing with the others yet?"

Pete nodded, "Yeah, I´m seeing them tomorrow. I´m thinking we´ll be fine."

"Basically we´re done here now. You´re free at last," I smirked.

He got up, "Well, it´s been swell with ya, Nana."

I raised an eyebrow at this questionable nickname.

"Shee-shee?" Pete asked.

I shook my head slightly. My name was short already. Why go and shorten it more? I wasn´t calling him "Pee", now was I?

"Sheena´s fine, Peter." Okay, maybe I wasn´t even giving him the chance to become friendly with me. But I didn´t want that anyways. He was making Patrick miserable. Speaking of which...

"You meeting Joyce, huh?" I opened the door for him.

He flung his bass in the soft case onto his shoulder and nodded, "Yup."

"Well, tell her I said hi... On second thought, don´t tell her." Ugh! Why hadn´t I kept my mouth shut?

"Okay... whatever... Um, how´s Patrick?"

I glared at him, "Well, what do you think?"

"I didn´t mean to hurt him on purpose," he scratched the back of his head, thinking. "Well, when I hit him I did... But I didn´t mean to make him unhappy by dating Joyce. I had no idea, really. Andy just informed me of the whole dilemma when he called me yesterday."

The only thing you could really hold against him was having punched Patrick. The Joyce thing was not his fault. All in all it was just bad luck for Patrick. Of course, I still blamed Joyce for having used him to get Pete back, be it deliberately or unintentionally. The result was the same.

"There´s not much anyone can do, I guess," I tried to conclude a discussion that I didn´t want to be having with Pete. "And just so you know, Patrick´s not someone to bear a grudge against anyone for long."

"Cool."

During the silence that followed the bassist was staring at my eyes. He was standing a little bit too close for my taste.

"I don´t really know you all that well but I think it´s really neat how you´re standing up for him and all. I wish I had a friend like that," Pete focused me further.

Maybe his chances would go up if he didn´t go around punching people in the face.

"Whatcha lookin´ at? See something you like?" I snapped at him. His fault for making me feel uncomfortable by looking directly into my eyes like that.

"In fact, yes," that familiar smug smile appeared on his lips, "my reflection in your eyes. You could really use more mirrors in here."

And I was just starting to mistake him for a human being capable of sympathizing with someone else. Or a human being at all, for that matter.


_______________

* That´s not the "embarrassing thing" I asked your permission for yet, Crystal. Got something to look forward to. ;)
Sign up to rate and review this story