Categories > Movies > Outsiders > Darkest Hour

Always There For Me

by Varinia 0 reviews

What if Pony had been seriously injured in the fire as well as Johnny? Will the gang be able to cope with it? COMPLETE!

Category: Outsiders - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-11-05 - Updated: 2006-11-06 - 760 words

0Unrated
Always There For Me

Johnny's POV

As I opened my eyes the room seemed to spin. Where am I? This doesn't look like any place I've ever been before. What happened? I began to look around the room for some kind of clue to tell me where I was. Why do I feel so strange? My back hurts something awful. As I began to look around the room I noticed someone sitting by the bed. It looked like Soda. Could it really be him?

"Soda?" I asked hoping that it wasn't just a dream.

"Hey buddy. It's about time you woke up," Soda said. But there was something wrong with him. It looked to me like he was crying. But Soda never cries around anyone, except maybe Pony.

"Where am I?"

"You're in the hospital. Dally called Darry at work and told him that you and Pony were in the hospital with him."

I remember it now. The church was on fire, and Dally yelling at us to get out and the kids. Had the kids gotten out? Had we got them all? If only we had gotten there sooner, then we could have had time to check. What about Pony? He was with me when that beam came down on top of us. That explains why my back hurts so much. I hope nothing's wrong with me and I hope that Pony will be all right.

"What about Pony and Dally? Are they okay?"

"I don't know yet Johnny. I just came from Ponyboy's room and they won't know how he is until he wakes up. But I haven't gone to see Dally yet."

Suddenly the door opened and Darry came into view. He looked real worn out and rather shabby looking. But I will never forget the look in his eyes. I had never seen anyone look like that, except maybe Dally and it scared me. His eyes were full of emptiness. Like he didn't care what happened to him anymore. And hurt me to see him like that.

"Darry, have you seen Pony yet?" asked Soda with concern in his voice.

"Yeah, I saw him. His nurse told me where you were. Don't worry Soda everything is gonna be okay."

I saw now that steady streams of tears were running down Soda's face. Something must be terribly wrong with Pony. Even Darry looked like he was about to cry. And I know that I couldn't stand it if somethig happened to Pony. He's my best buddy and he's the only one who really gets me.

"So I see Johnny must be doing better. How ya doin' Johnny-cakes?"

"Okay, I guess. I just woke up. How long have I been out anyway Soda?"

"I dunno for sure. Doctor said you've been waking up every now and then, but he said you were delirious and probably wouldn't remember."

"Did he say what was wrong with me?"

"He said that when the beam fell on you, that it messed up the muscles in your back. But he said that rest and some physical therapy would help you to walk again. Don't worry though you'll pull through just fine, you always have," Soda said trying to sound sincere.

Physical therapy would only help me walk again, only help. It hit me that I might never walk with Pony to the movies again or even run from the fuzz. Soda said I would pull through, but what if I didn't? Everyone knows I couldn't stay at my house. I'd kill myself before I stayed around my parents all the time. Where could I go? What could I do? Then, all of a sudden a nurse came rushing into the room.

"Darry, Soda, your brother is coming to and the doctor wants to see you," the nurse said almost sounding out of breath. Darry and Soda looked at each other and then back at me. I know they didn't just want to get up and leave, but Pony needed them just as much as I did and they knew it.

"Go on. Pony needs you more than I do," I said trying to reassure them.

As they left I began to wonder about Pony. Was he really okay? Why did the nurse come to get them in such hurry? Something wasn't all right and I knew it. Then for the first time in years I prayed to God that he would be all right. Pony had always been there for me when I needed him and I couldn't see it any other way.
Sign up to rate and review this story