Categories > Movies > Outsiders > Darkest Hour

Nothing Will Ever Be The Same

by Varinia 0 reviews

What if Pony had been seriously injured in the fire as well as Johnny? Will the gang be able to cope with it? COMPLETE!

Category: Outsiders - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-11-05 - Updated: 2006-11-06 - 668 words

0Unrated
Nothing Will Ever Be The Same

Darry's POV

I was shocked. My little brother that I had looked after for so long was blind. He'd never be able to see again. How could this be possible? Can Pony really be blind? He has so much more of his life to live and now nothing will ever be the same again. Out of all the people in the world why Pony? Why?

"Hey, are you okay Darry?" asked Two-Bit as he came up behind me and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Right now I don't know about anything. I just don't know."

As I looked over at Soda, who was crying next to me, I took hold of his hand and put my arm around him. Soda had always been closer to Pony than me. I just hoped that somehow we could all get through this. But right now we needed to tell Pony what was wrong with him.

"Soda, Pony needs to know. We have to find some way to tell him."

"I don't think I can handle it right now Darry. It's just too much."

"Pony needs you right now Soda. Be strong for him."

"Okay. I'll try Darry. I'll try."

We all stood up and slowly went back into his room. Pony was still laying there looking around the room for us.

"Guys this isn't funny, turn on the lights!" Pony said starting to sound angry.

"Pony there's something we need to tell you. When that beam hit you it burned your eyes really bad. That's why you can't see," I said looking at the gang for some reassurance.

"What do you mean 'I can't see,' I can see perfectly fine thank you and if you'd just turn the lights on I'll prove it to you."

"Pony, I'm sorry but you really can't see anymore. I didn't want to say it like this but, you're blind."

"No! Your lying! I bet you just wish I was dead!"

"That's not true Pony. I love you. I would never wish something like that . . ."

"Pony he's not lying to you. As much as I hate to say it, it's true," Soda said trying to hold back a sob.

"Just leave me alone! I don't have to listen to you!" he shouted at us.

"I think you should leave right now. He's probably just shocked from the news. He'll be okay. I'll watch out for him," said the nurse who we had spoken to earlier.

"Tell him that we really do need him to be all right."

"I'll be sure to tell him."

We decided to go see Dally while we were still at the hospital, and began a long quiet walk up to his room. As we entered we saw Dally sittin' on the bed just starin' off into space.

"Hey Dally," Steve said casually.

"Hey guys! I've been waiting for you to come up and see me. So how are they? Are they going to be all right? I tried to stop them. I told them it wasn't worth it, but they just wouldn't listen!"

"Doctor said that Johnny'll be okay after some physical therapy and stuff to help him walk again," I said trying to sound calm.

"And Pony?"

"He's blind Dal," Two-Bit said with his voice wavering. There was a long pause followed by an uncontrollable burst of angry from Dallas.

"No! He can't be blind! Not Pony! I told them it wasn't worth it, but did they listen? If you're tough like me you don't get hurt!Why didn't they listen to me? Why?"

"I dunno Dally. I just don't know."

Dally's burst of anger had caught all of us by surprise. Normally Dally can handle anything. He never shows his emotions. He's never shown his anger, fear, or even dissappointment. Not ever. I just hope that we'll be able to stick together. Nothing will ever be the same again, but I wish it could. I'd give anything for my little brother back. Anything.
Sign up to rate and review this story