Categories > Movies > Outsiders > Darkest Hour

Almost the Same

by Varinia 0 reviews

What if Pony had been seriously injured in the fire as well as Johnny? Will the gang be able to cope with it? COMPLETE!

Category: Outsiders - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-11-05 - Updated: 2006-11-06 - 1000 words

0Unrated
Almost the Same

Johnny's POV

It was really late when I saw Pony get up and stumble over to the window. I had noticed how quiet he had been since the fire. He just wasn't the same old Ponyboy. I looked at him staring out into the night sky. But he was really staring at nothing. He couldn't see the stars in the sky. He'll never see another sunrise. I thought I was bad off by having to be on crutches for a while, but Pony is blind for life. I keep thinking back to when I killed that Soc, thinkin' that if I hadn't killed him everything would be the same. But I know it wouldn't, Pony would have been dead if I hadn't killed that Soc.

"Pony, you all right?"

"Yeah, I'm fine Johnny."

"You want to talk Ponyboy?"

"I'd really like that, Johnny. Whenever I try to talk to Sodapop, he gets all mushy and stuff."

"I guess he just doesn't know what to say around you. You're not the same Ponyboy you used to be. Remember when we were up in Windrixville? We ate bologna for about a week. I can't even remember how many cancer sticks we smoked."

"I'll never forget it. I don't think, I'll ever eat bologna again," Pony said with a laugh. It was the first time I'd heard him laugh since the accident.

"We've had good times together, haven't we, Pony?"

"Yes, both good and bad."

"What do you think about the Socs? Do you think they'll come after us?" I asked remembering Dally's warning about getting out of here.

"I don't know, Johnny. Dally said they would, but he wasn't all together earlier. I think that we should stay with the gang. Last time we ran, nothing went right. I'd rather stay here with Soda and Darry."

"I guess you're right, maybe we can talk to Dally in the morning."

"Sounds good to me. I'm goin' back to bed though."

I watched him make his way back to the bed and slide up underneath Soda's arm. He was sound asleep in no time and I went back to my sleeping bag on the floor. Before I could fall asleep I thought about my life and all I had been through. But the main thing that stuck out to me, was that the gang always had my back. No matter what happened they always had my back. I couldn't run away again from what I knew and loved, together we could beat the Socs. Together we could win. I woke up in the morning to the sound of the gang in the living room. I looked up at Pony who was still sound asleep with Soda. I got dressed and was goin' into the kitchen when I heard Dally from behind me.

"Hey, kid. You guys okay?"

"Yeah, we're fine. Pony and Soda are still sleeping."

"I'm . . . I'm sorry about last night. I tried to stay awake, Johnny. I really did. You know I wouldn't leave you like that on purpose."

"I know, Dal. You were hit on the head pretty hard. Nothin' could have kept you awake last night. It's okay, no harm done. The gang got here not long after you went out."

"Thanks kid. Well, come on, let's get something to eat," he said said as we headed into the kitchen where Darry was cookin' breakfast.

"Hey, Johnny. Are Soda and Pony up yet?" Darry asked as we entered the room.

"No, they're still asleep."

"Can you ask Two-Bit or Steve to wake 'em up for me?"

"Sure," I said as I made my way to the living room.

"Darry wants one of you to wake up Pony and Soda."

"Okay!" Two-Bit and Steve yelled as they both ran the down the hall to Soda and Pony's room. We all heard a wild yelp from Soda and a groggy 'get off of me' from Pony. Slowly they all came into the kitchen. Two-Bit was jumping up and down talking about how bad he beat his Soc. We all sat down and began to eat some scrambled eggs, pancakes and some chocolate cake that Darry had laid out for breakfast.

"Soda, I think you should stay home today and take care of yourself," Darry said as he glanced over at Soda, who was gritting his teeth as he pulled out his chair to sit down.

"I'll be fine, Darry. The boss will let me take it easy. We need the money to pay all the bills anyway."

"I guess, but if I find out you didn't, I'll have what's left of your hide," Darry said jokingly.

"Well, we'd better get goin' Sodapop, if we're goin' to get there on time," Steve said as he stuffed a piece of chocolate cake in his mouth, before walking out the door.

"See ya'll later, and don't worry, Darry. I can take care of myself," Soda said as he slowly got up from the table and followed Steve out the door.

"Speaking of work, I'd better get going too. Will you guys be okay?"

"We'll be all right, Darry. I'll take the boys out with me later," Dally said giving me one of his reckless grins.

"Just be sure not to get into any trouble," Darry said before walking out the door.

"Where are we goin' Dally," I asked wondering what he was up to this time.

"I thought we should go to Buck Meril's place and talk to Tim Shepherd about the Socs. You wanna come, Two-Bit?"

"Why not? There ain't nothing else to do around this place. Let's go!" he said giving us one of his goofy grins.

"Pony, you think you can manage goin' with us to Buck's place. We'll stay close to ya, kid. No sweat," Dally said not wanting to leave Pony behind.

"Sure, just don't let Darry find out. He'll skin all of ya."

"All right! Let's go!" Dally shouted and we all piled into Two-Bit's car.
Sign up to rate and review this story