Categories > Movies > Outsiders > Darkest Hour

Because of Love

by Varinia 0 reviews

What if Pony had been seriously injured in the fire as well as Johnny? Will the gang be able to cope with it? COMPLETE!

Category: Outsiders - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-11-05 - Updated: 2006-11-06 - 1073 words

0Unrated
Because of Love

Darry's POV

I was looking forward to seeing everyone once I got home. I had only been back to work a few days and had been really worried about Pony bein' by himself. But I was also worried about how Soda was doin', after what happened last night. He always told me he was okay, even when he wasn't. As I walked into the house I found Johnny, Soda, Steve, and Two-Bit sitting in our living room.

"Where's Pony and Dally?" I asked as I noticed they were no where around.

"Pony's in his room and Dally's tryin' to get in, so he can talk to him," Steve said calmly.

"Soda, what happened?" I asked hoping they couldn't detect the concern I felt, in my voice.

"Dally and Pony had a fight about the fire and everything."

"What exactly did they say?" I asked studying my brother's face.

"Dally told Pony that it was the Socs fault and that he's useless because of them."

"Can you guys start cookin' dinner? I'm goin' to go talk to Pony and Dally," I said as I walked toward the Pony's room. Dally stood up when he saw me comin' like he wanted to explain what happened.

"Soda told me what happened. Has Pony said anything yet?" I asked hoping that he had.

"No. Not since I yelled at him," Dally said regretfully. I could tell that he was mad at himself for what he had said. I knew he would never say anything to hurt Pony. He took most of the blame for the accident on himself.

"Why don't you go back into the living room with the gang, while I talk to Pony? Everything will be okay," I said, but he still looked rather worried. I knocked on the heavy wooden door of Pony's room once Dally had gotten down the hall.

"Pony, open the door. We need to talk," I said still knocking on the door. I could hear him shuffling around, trying to find the doorknob. When Pony opened the door, I noticed that his eyes were red and puffy. He had been crying.

"Hey Darry," Pony said softly.

"You wanna talk? The guys are makin' dinner right now."

"I'm not hungry."

"All right, but you already lost a lot of weight and don't need to lose anymore." Ever since he got back from the hospital, he has been nothing but skin and bones. He just refuses to eat, and when he does he barely eats anything. Soda said that you can see every single one of his ribs. I've even noticed how all of his shirts just hang off him. Was this how he was trying to deal with the accident? The doctor warned us 'bout Pony cutting himself or possible suicide attempts, but starving himself? No. Pony would never harm himself in any way. He couldn't. He's just so well-rounded and mellow.

"Why do you think bad things always happen to us?" Pony asked, looking back at me intently.

"I dunno, Pony. It just happens that way," I said not knowing what to say.

"Yeah, and Socs get all the breaks."

"Come on, let's go help the guys. They need a little supervision. Don't you think?"

"I'm not sure what good I can do you."

"Don't talk like that. You're what keep me and Soda going. If something happened to you I don't know what we'd do," I said hoping he'd believe me.

"I guess," he said, and we began to walk toward the kitchen.

"Soda! You had better get over here and sit down! You're boss called me at work and told me you went home sick. You'd better get to bed early tonight. You hear me?" I told Soda as I helped Pony sit down at the table.

"But Darry, I'm fine. I spent most of the day sleepin' on the couch," Soda argued with me.

"If you're so fine than how come you had to come home from work early?" I asked trying to make my point.

"I'm not movin' around here like I am at work."

"Fine, but if you do this again tomorrow you're stayin' in bed, whether you like it or not."

"Don't count on it," Soda said playfully as he gave me one of his big grins.

"So what did you guys pull together, to make a supposed meal?" I asked sarcastically. It seemed that every time I ask the gang to make a meal, you sure get a surprise. Try Two-Bit's chocolate chip omeletts for a start.

"How does pancakes and chocolate cake sound?" Two-Bit said with a huge grin.

"Didn't we just have that this morning for breakfast?"

"Yeah, but who cares. It is food after all," Two-Bit said handing me a plate of food.

"Well, as long as it's edible."

"Don't worry. It's not like I poisned it or anything."

"In that case, I think Steve should take the first bite," I said handing my plate to Steve.

"Thanks a lot. You sure can feel the love in here tonight," he said sarcastically.

"Yep. Hurry up and taste it will ya?" Two-Bit said to us impatiently.

"Mmm, it's so good." Steve said over exaggerating it.

"Told you it's good," Two-Bit said handing everyone else a plate of food.

"I don't want anything right now," Pony said as Two-Bit offered him a plate.

"Come on kid, it ain't that bad."

"I'm just not hungry. I'll eat somethin' later."

"If you're sure."

"Yeah, I am."

Pony didn't say one word throughout dinner. I mean, usually my little brother is quiet, but not this quiet. I was suprised at how well he got over the accident, not long after he had gotten home from the hospital. He had acted a little down, but other than that he was fine. But tonight, he's just out there somewhere. When he told me that he wasn't worth anything, it killed me. I know he thinks I'm too tough on him, but I only do it cause I love him. I just can't help but feeling that if I hadn't of hit him, none of this would have happened. I just want Pony to know that I really need him here with me. I don't think I could live without him. I love my little my brother and it hurts me to see him like this. I'd do anything to take away his pain. Anything.
Sign up to rate and review this story