Categories > Movies > Outsiders > Darkest Hour

Not Any Other Way

by Varinia 0 reviews

What if Pony had been seriously injured in the fire as well as Johnny? Will the gang be able to cope with it? COMPLETE!

Category: Outsiders - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-11-05 - Updated: 2006-11-06 - 1239 words

0Unrated
Not Any Other Way

Two-Bit's POV

Something's really wrong with Ponyboy. He hasn't eaten barely anything at all lately. Okay, so he never really was that big of an eater like me, but he still needs to eat somethin'. I just hope that the kid isn't takin' it too hard, 'bout what Dally said and all. We all know Dally didn't mean it. He's just blew up. Ever since the accident we've seen less and less of Dally. Dally thinks that if he had kept them from going in there, then they would be okay. We all know it was an accident, but Dally can't help but blame himself. He was there, and he saw the roof collapse on them.

"Hey, Johnny. You and Pony want to walk with me for a bit?" Dally asked as he got up from the table.

"Sure. Come on, Pony," Johnny said as he reached for his friend's hand to lead him out the door.

"Why not? There's nothin' else to do," Pony said, sounding miserable as he let Johnny lead him out the door. Johnny was doin' better and the doctor said he could walk a little as long as he didn't over do it. But he said that there was no hope that Pony would ever see again.

"Did Pony say anything to you?" Soda asked once they had left the house.

"He said that he wasn't any use to us anymore and something 'bout bad stuff always happening to greasers. I just don't get it. I thought Pony was adjusting fine, but I guess I was wrong," Darry said sounding frustrated.

"Don't worry, Darry. He'll be all right. He's just needs to get out more. You've been too protective since he got back anyway. Lighten up a bit already," I told him. Darry had always been real protective when it came to his brothers, but lately, he'd gotten worse.

"Yeah, I guess so. I'm just afraid I'm going to loose him. We almost lost him and Johnny in the fire, and I don't want to go through something like that again. We're all we've got and we have to stick it out, together," Darry said trying hard not to cry. Darry's always been the kind of guy that you'd never think knew even how to cry. Ever since the accident he's been all shook up. I don't know if it's shock or if Darry's finally lost it. When he first found out about the accident he was mad at the world, like nothing mattered at all. Now, he just breaks down and cries when somethin' gets to him. I don't think he can take much more.

"It's been a long day. Why don't you go ahead go on to bed?" Soda asked, genuinely

concerned about his brother.

"I'll be okay. I'm goin' to go take a shower. I'll be out in a minute," Darry said quietly getting up from the table and going into the bathroom.

"What's up with him?" Steve asked as he helped Soda put the dishes in the sink.

"Between work, hospital bills and dealin' with Socs, he's spent," Soda said as we all walked into the living room.

"What about Pony? He doesn't seem to be doin' too good," I said wonderin' if Soda knew what was up with him.

"I don't know. He barely eats anything and every time we try to get him to eat, he says he's not hungry. The doctor said he needs time getting used to not being able to see what he's eating. But I think there's more to it than that."

"What makes you say that?"

"I don't know. He's just not the same Ponyboy he used to be. He tries to act like he's okay with not being able to see, but you can tell he's not. He's mad at the world. I try to talk to him, but he keeps pushing me away."

"What about Johnny? You and Johnny have always been closer to Pony than anyone else," I said desperately wanting to know what was going on with him.

"I haven't had a chance to talk to him alone, since the accident. I don't know what to do. I just can't stand to see Pony like this. I feel like I've lost him."

"Don't say that. The kid's a little down, that's all. You need to give him more time to get over it. He's just a kid and the Socs don't make it any easier. You guys have been treating him like a toddler since he got back. Give him a break, let him do somethin' for himself for a bit," I said, seriously hoping that he'd take my advice.

"Since when did you get so wise?" Steve said to me mockingly.

"I don't know. Maybe since I quit hangin' with you," I said ducking the pillow that came flying at my face followed by a big crash.

"Oops, am I bad," Steve said as he saw the lamp laying on the floor next to the pillow.

"Nice one. Come on and help me pick it up, before Darry get's back in here," Soda said getting up from the couch and picking the lamp back up. He carefully placed it back on the table and walked toward the couch.

"Soda, let's have a little bit of fun," Steve said tossing the pillow at him. Soda caught it and placed it back on the couch. The door opened slowly and Dally, Johnny and Pony walked in.

"Hey Dal! You want to play some poker or somethin'?" I asked hopin' we could have some fun around here for once, but quickly noticed the look on Pony's face and felt guilty. Pony used to always play poker with us and he wasn't that bad either. But he can't play it with us anymore.

"You guys go on and play. I think I'll go ahead and turn in early," Pony said as he slowly made his way down the hall to his room.

"How was your walk?" Soda asked Dally curiously.

"Fine," Dally answered looking at us suspiciously.

"Johnny, has Pony ever said anything to you about the accident or anything?" Soda asked hoping that he could find out somethin'.

"Yeah. He said he was tired of the gang always acting different towards him than they used to, treating him like a little kid. He also seemed kind of worried 'bout the Socs. Why do you ask?"

"Just worried 'bout him. That's all."

"He'll be all right. He's just trying to deal with it the best way he knows how. He keeps all bottled up inside him and won't let it out. But he'll be all right. He's tough. He'll pull through."

"I hope you're right. I really hope you're right."

Pony's more to us than Darry and Soda's kid brother. He's part of the gang, he's our buddy. I know we all joke about being the youngest and a tag-a-long. But he's Ponyboy and I wouldn't have it any other way. I just want him to come back to us. To be the kid he used to and joke around with. I know nothing can ever really be the same, but just because he can't see doesn't mean his personality has to change. I once told him that we could along without anyone but Johnny. I was wrong. We can't get along without any of us. Especially Ponyboy.
Sign up to rate and review this story