Categories > Original > Horror > A Demon Sleeps in a Blender

Enter into Suburbia

by Kellyconcarne 0 reviews

Alice Fooge and her family move into Grinsville

Category: Horror - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Horror, Humor - Published: 2005-07-18 - Updated: 2005-07-18 - 1512 words

1Original
A Demon Sleeps in the Blender
By: Kellyconcarne

Author's Note: Sorry about that last chapter, that was supposed to be just a small prologue...a forward if you will. But this chapter we learn about Alice Fooge and she moves into Grinsville.

Chapter 1

Alice sighed and leaned her head against the window, peering out at the passing buildings. Her heart sank deeper and deeper into the bowels of her stomach like when a child who doesn't have his homework slides down into his desk as the large white and pink billboard sign came into view.

"We're here!" Alice's stepmother, Charlotte announced in a happy sing-song voice.
Sprawled along the white billboard in large pink cursive, was the name "Grinsville". Below the large name, in smaller letters, read:
"Where a grin goes a long way!!"

Alice grumbled and sunk further into the seat, her raven, straight hair dangling in front of her face. Charlotte craned her head around, radiating with a great big smile.

"Aren't you excited, Alice? We're finally here!!" She chimed. Alice glared at her, arms folded.

"Hurray for the masses." She said dryly. Charlotte sighed and looked at Alice's father, Matthew,who was busy driving, exhausted like most fathers are after driving a mini-van for 6 hours.

"Alice, try to enjoy this please and not ruin it for everyone." He pleaded absent-mindedly.

"Why should I celebrate? I'm being forced to move here against my will." Alice grumbled.

"Well, then, think of something to celebrate and stop pouting." Matthew suggested, his annoyance growing.

Alice took out her drawing pad and her crayons. She began to draw a train speeding towards a large tower of dynamite at a ridiculous speed. The roof of the train was burning wildly, the flames flapping in the wind. A little smile formed on Alice's pale face. She drew a kitten, tied down to the tracks, directly in the path of the speeding train. The kitten's face was contorted in absolute pee-your-pants terror.

She stopped and stared at the picture for a moment. Victims. She needed more victims. First of all, she drew Charlotte, nailed by her hands and feet to the front of the train. Her eyes were wide open and her jaw hung down, obviously shrieking in fear. Among the other victims were the Easter Bunny, Britney Spears, Dolly Parton, the inventor of audio CD packaging, and Alice's 6th grade teacher, Ms. Snoop. Alice giggled out loud and carefully rolled up the picture, placing it into her black and purple backpack.

"What did you draw, honey?" Charlotte asked.

"A train." Alice answered innocently.

"Oh I didn't realize you liked trains, Alice. Maybe we can go on a train tour at Grinsville Train Station." She suggested.

Alice nodded.
"Yeah, sure."

Immediately she began to form a morbid plan to kill Charlotte involving the train tour. Perhaps there could be poison in those salt pretzels they sell at the gift shop. Maybe the breaks on the train carrying heavy mining equipment would be very rusty that day. The floor in front of the hot burning coal oven could be very slippery and the door could accidentally have been left open. Even the driver of that train, holding a large quantity of chain saws whose triggers are so sensitive, could be blind. These were all possibilities in Alice's scheming little mind.

Alice's parents had gotten divorced when she was 8, and 4 years later, she still felt bitter. Charlotte married her father when she was 10, thus starting a period of time that Alice called "The Dark Ages". Charlotte was everything Alice hated: Blonde, happy-go-lucky, overly social, childishly positive, obsessive compulsive, dumb, and above all, a devout follower of Martha Stewart. It wasn't that Alice hated Charlotte, she just wanted her to die in a slow, painful, agonizing death.
When Charlotte moved in, everything changed, from the cat's collar to the wallpaper in the bathroom. The only thing she couldn't manage to change was Alice. Of all the women her father had dated, she was the worst. He had dated everything from a cheerful veterinarian to a criminal lawyer with an addiction to Starbucks. All of those would have been fine, but /no/, it had to be Charlotte, a cat clothes designer.

Her father had almost married the cheerful vet, Nancy, but it all went to hell when she caught rabies from a wild raccoon at a rabies-prevention convention. All of the syringes were filled with sugar water to avoid any accidents with the children present at the convention. Despite the incredibly wonderful medical attention of South Africa (the location of the convention) that was provided to her, she died when she was eaten by a group of zebras (who also had rabies) that broke into the hospital. Thankfully, the vets were able to save the precious zebras and they are now doing just fine.

Alice watched the buildings, streets and people of Grinsville through her window. Smiling people, enjoying the beautiful fall day, roamed the streets. There were few tall buildings in the heart of the city, yet this was considered the downtown area. Suburbia was everywhere in Grinsville. There was a mall and movie theaters and even miniature golf, but it was a small town. Nothing compared to the busy streets of Pittsburgh that Alice was used to. Everyone knew everyone. The whole idea reminded her of Auschwitz.

"It's so quaint and cute, Matthew!" Charlotte squealed, grabbing his arm tightly.

"Yeah, it's nice." Matthew agreed blandly. "Uncle Sebastian had good taste in real estate."

"Why don't we just sell the house?" Alice suggested, glancing at her parents.

"Because it's a mansion! We're not going to give up your great uncle's mansion!" Charlotte cried. Alice sighed and leaned back, looking out the window again.

They drove all the way out to the outskirts of Grinsville, back near the forest in a section where the sky wasn't so bright and the land wasn't so smooth and beautiful. They went down a thin road, among the trees and up a hill. They stopped the green minivan in front of a large black mansion, decorated with closed shutters. The roofs of the mansion were shaped like the tops of castle towers. The mansion loomed over them, silent and dark. Gargoyles overlooked them with their strong gaze, crotched down in a predator's stance.

"Very creepy..." Alice said to herself, getting out of the car, her eyes fixed on the house.

"It's so big!" Charlotte exclaimed, closing the front passenger door of the car.

"That's why it's called a mansion, dear." Matthew explained gently to her. He approached the door, Charlotte by his side. He pushed the small dusty doorbell button and reached for one of the giant circular shaped knockers. As he lifted it, the door opened quickly and standing behind the door was a tall, thin, sullen old man. He looked at Matthew, then at Charlotte and finally down at Alice, who returned his stare with her dark eyes.
Slowly, he looked at Matthew again,

"Yes?" His voice was quiet, smoky, and slow.

"Victor, it's me!" Matthew exclaimed, throwing his arms open in a greeting.

"Excuse me?" He raised an eyebrow at him.

"Matthew? Remember?"

Silence.

"Sebastian's nephew?"

More silence.

Matthew lowered his arms with a heavy sigh, disappointed."You spoke to me on the phone? I'm Matthew Fooge, Sebastian's nephew. I inherited the house." He explained.

"Ah yes! Master Matthew! Do come in!" Victor greeted warmly, opening the door more. Matthew smiled and stepped into the house, followed by Charlotte, and finally, Alice. Matthew brought Charlotte forward and smiled at Victor as he closed the door.

"This is my 2nd wife, Charlotte." He introduced.

"You don't have to introduce me as your second wife." Charlotte whined.

"Well honey, it's true!" He argued.

"Actually, the term 'bane of humanity' is more accurate." Alice sneered from behind them. Matthew shot a glare at her, a silent warning. Victor walked over to Alice, standing tall before her.
"And this is?"

"Alice, my daughter." Matthew sighed.

Victor smiled at Alice,
"Welcome, Ms. Alice. We've been waiting for you. I had only seen a few pictures of you but your great uncle was very interested in you."

"We had hardly met." Alice argued. " I didn't know him that well."

"Indeed but sometimes when you meet someone for a moment, you instantly make a connection." Victor explained. He shook her hand and winked.

He turned to Matthew and Charlotte.
"Well, I believe you wish to look about the house now?"

"Oh yes!" Charlotte squealed.

Before them were twin staircases that wrapped around the walls on the left and the right, leading to the second level of the mansion. Victor motioned to the stairs along the left wall and Charlotte grabbed Matthew's wrist and dashed up the stairs, dragging her exhausted husband behind her. Victor looked at Alice.

"You can look around wherever you want, Alice, or you may follow me."
He offered.

"I'll look around myself." She responded, looking around at the dome-shaped ceiling above.

"As you wish."
And with that, Alice was left alone to wander and explore.
Sign up to rate and review this story