Categories > Original > Horror > A Demon Sleeps in a Blender

Exploring the house

by Kellyconcarne 2 reviews

Alice sets off on her own to explore her new home but finds more than just her bedroom.

Category: Horror - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Horror, Humor - Published: 2005-07-18 - Updated: 2005-07-18 - 1610 words

0Unrated
A Demon Sleeps in the Blender
By:Kellyconcarne

Chapter 2

Alice had been wandering down what seemed to be the endless corridors of her new home, peering into every room carefully. She stopped at a door that had a little white note on it. She pulled the note off and read it.
"For Alice."
Alice looked around for a moment and opened the door slowly. Inside was a large canopy bed, made with black iron. Transparent drapes dangled from the canopy's top. A royal purple velvet comforter laid on top, looking inviting and very comfy.

"This is must be my room." She said quietly to herself. She pushed the door open completely and looked all around the room. The walls were painted purple to match the comforter. She dropped her bag on the floor and smiled,
"Sweet...this is so sweet..." She exclaimed with hushed excitement. There was a dresser and bureau, black with the mirror outlined with curly purple lines. This was the room of Alice's dreams. It even had a TV, what more could she want?

"I don't know how he knew but this is great..." She said, examining the TV. She left her bag in her room and continued to look around the house.

She found a spiral staircase that seemed to go to a third level on the house. She dashed up the stairs and walked through the archway. Inside was a great large room, filled with books everywhere. There were two levels of the library, books encircling her completely. She ran up to the rolling ladder and jumped on.

"Whoohoo!" She yelled as the rolling ladder rolled quickly past the rows of books. Her yells echoed throughout the large library room. Suddenly something hit Alice on top of her head and she fell off the ladder and onto the floor. With a groan, she slowly sat up. She felt around for her glasses and when found, quickly slid them on to her nose.

"What happened? What hit me?" She asked the empty library. A few feet away from her laid a book with an indigo cover. She walked over and picked up the book. On the cover read the following,
"How to Ignore Your Step Mother"

Alice looked around and read the cover again. She began to kick herself for every atheist thought she had ever had. Obviously, there was a god and it would seem he had finally noticed that Satan had taken human form.

"All right, all right...I get it; this is a sign from you. At least you spared me from the dramatics." She called to the ceiling, acknowledging the presence of an all powerful deity. Suddenly, there was another bang, causing Alice to jump, and a soft cackle followed. She looked around, confused, and noticed another book on the floor. She picked it up and read it,
"How to kill people who are annoying and other ways of reducing stress"

Alice looked up at the ceiling again and spoke, "Okay, that's enough. You can stop with the miracles. I've known for a long time that therapy was the most ridiculous idea in existence."

It was true. Alice had been in it after all. She had handled the divorce of her parents incredibly well, often times shutting out the situation entirely from her world. But when her teacher requested that the students bring their mother to a mom-child picnic in honor of Mother's day, Alice didn't take it too well. She left the room and went to the bathroom, quiet and calm. After a few minutes, she returned to the room, holding a toilet seat in a dripping wet hand. She stood in the doorway for a minute. Her teacher opened her mouth to ask her about the toilet seat but Alice, with a loud scream, chucked the toilet seat at the teacher, striking her directly in the face, breaking her nose and knocking out 3 of her front teeth. However, being a teacher, she couldn't afford porcelain replacements. Instead, the poor woman was stuck with wood and a lisp that never ceased to entertain the kids in class. Alice was also excused from the picnic.

Her father immediately threw Alice in therapy after the principal told him that Alice was a volatile hazard to society on the verge of a mass murdering spree. Alice could still remember the drab, boring room with the constant noise of the ticking clock.
"Do you hate God?"
"No."
"Do you hate your mother?"
"No."
"Do you hate your dad?"
"There's only one thing I hate right now and I'm talking to it."
"How did it make you feel when you threw the toilet seat?"
"Disappointed."
"Why?"
"Because it didn't kill her."
"That's not funny, Alice."
"I'm not laughing."
"How do you think you made your teacher feel?"
"I don't know, I've never been hit with a flying toilet seat before. I can imagine it hurt."
"How do you feel, knowing you've hurt her?"
"Good. She's a lunatic anyway."

The more the therapist asked and dig, the more Alice had fun, giving ridiculous answers each time. Finally, he threw up his arms and said,
"Alice, why are you being so difficult?!"
"What do you want me to say? That my mommy and daddy don't love me? That I think it's my fault? That I think I'm a bad person? I hate my mom and dad?" She asked bitterly.
"Well, usually childr-"
"No. I know my parents got divorced because they were miserable and hated each other. Dad was paranoid that Mom was going to poison his food and kill while Mom thought he was having an affair and checked her break wires every morning before leaving for work. Sitting here and claiming that it is my fault is stupid and a waste of time." She explained harshly.

She remained in therapy for years, directed by her therapist to accept the world as a beautiful place and smile. She went along with it just to shut the moron up.

Alice snapped out of memory lane when she heard the high cackling again. She looked around and called out,
"Hello? Who's there?"

Silence.

"I carry mace around, so don't try me." She warned.

More silence.

Alice sighed and picked up the books. She started to leave but looked back for a moment, taking one last look around. She left and returned to her room. Victor's voice along with Charlotte's echoed close by, meaning they must be coming towards her room. She opened the door to the corridor and looked out to see the three adults approaching her.

"What do you think, Alice? Isn't it wonderful? I love this house! A bit too dark though...we need some pastels in here." Charlotte said thoughtfully. Pastels made Alice want to throw up. She looked desperately at her father.

"You know, dear, I think we should leave the house the way it is, in honor of Uncle Sebastian." Matthew suggested.

"Well, okay. But I want our bedroom to be pink, schnokums!" Charlotte giggled and wrapped her arm through his while Alice swallowed her overwhelming urge to vomit.

"I found my room." Alice said, quickly changing the subject.

"Do you like it, Miss Alice?" Victor asked politely.

"YES!" The 12-year old responded happily. "It's so...so...beautiful. Black and purple! Everywhere!" Charlotte looked down at Alice.

"But that's so dark!" She cried. Alice's face twisted into a dark smile,
"I know; it matches my soul." She responded with acid dripping from her words.

"Why don't you show us your room?" Matthew suggested before Charlotte could answer Alice. Alice quickly led them down the halls to her room and opened it, Matthew and Charlotte stepped into the room and their eyes wandered all over the room.

"It's so dark..." Charlotte whispered.
"It's so big..." Matthew added.
"It's so perfect!" Alice chimed in.

She hopped on her bed and watched her parents as they examined the room. Charlotte knelt in front of the TV and stared at it, looking along the frame carefully.

"You got a bigger TV!" Charlotte squealed.

"Sweetheart, what does matter?" Matthew asked.

"Well, it's just not fair." She pouted as she got up and went over to the closet. She threw the doors open and gasped. The closet was huge, at least twice the size of hers. She looked around, her jaw hanging. Alice hopped off the bed and walked into the bathroom. She flicked on the switch and stared at herself in the mirrors. She sighed and made a face at the image in the mirror.

"Welcome home..." She grumbled to her reflection. She would learn to deal, she supposed. It's not like she had a choice. Sure, she could run away but there was nowhere to go. Perhaps the circus? No, that couldn't work. Clowns were too scary.

Alice snapped out of her thoughts when she heard a splashing sound in the toilet. She quietly walked over to her toilet and peered in.

Floating around in the toilet, was a small purple creature, resembling something between a bat and some type of lizard. It appeared to have a small smile on its face as it back-stroked through the clear toilet water. He didn't even look up at Alice; he kept swimming as though he was swimming through the pool, content as he could be.

Alice just stood there, staring at it, very confused. After watching the little creature for a minute, she called out,
"Dad...? There's something in the toilet."

Matthew yelled over Charlotte's shrieking,
"It's called a turd! Now flush it!"

Alice closed the lid and flushed the toilet, a screech escaping from the creature in the toilet.

Sign up to rate and review this story