Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

It's Always Something

by Emilie_D 1 review

The Muggles help out.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-11-15 - Updated: 2006-11-15 - 3480 words - Complete

1Exciting
Rowena ran to the spot where Severus had disappeared and sniffed the ground furiously.

"This is the real thing," Zelda said. "The past week's been so incredible, I wish..."

Michael hugged her long and hard. "I know what you wish, and don't underestimate Severus. It'll take time, but he knows how to play the game. He wants to be with you again too, so I think it'll happen, somehow."

Rowena gave up trying to find Severus and trotted up to them, nosing at Michael's hand.

"I didn't think I needed a dog," said Zelda, chuckling. "But I have one that looks too smart for her own good, doesn't she?"

"Start training her now, or she'll run your life," Michael said with a smirk. "Seriously though, when I'm not here, I'm glad you'll have a smart dog with you."

Zelda sighed. "Where's the collar and leash?"

Michael went inside and returned with a pretty blue collar, studded with plastic diamonds, and a matching leash.

"She has nicer jewels than me," Zelda muttered sarcastically.

Zelda buckled the collar around the dog's neck, and hooked on the leash. Rowena circled calmly around and sat on Zelda's left side, causing the two humans to stare at each other in surprise.

"She's had training," said Michael.

Zelda took a step forward. "Heel," she commanded, and the dog paced correctly by her side. They spent the next half hour reviewing basic obedience commands, with Rowena becoming more attuned to Zelda's ways.

Michael watched them together in delighted surprise. It seemed that this dog and Zelda were a perfect match. The leash had come off earlier and he realized that Rowena, smart and willing, was the very dog he would have chosen for his friend. "Okay," he said, "You can do more later, but she needs a bath."

Rowena proved young and rambunctious enough that all three of them were quickly drenched. Afterward, the clean canine took a well-deserved nap, while the humans bathed and prepared an early dinner.

"Shut up," said Zelda, as she tossed a salad.

"I didn't say anything yet," he replied. "She's a great dog, though."

Zelda relented in the face of the obvious. "Okay, I'm going to love this dog," she said. She set the table for two, trying not to look at the place where Severus normally sat.

"He'll be back, girlfriend," said Michael gently. "And you have plenty to keep you busy, don't you?"

"Yeah," she said, frowning. "It's hard to care, but my own classroom planning hasn't been touched since I found Severus, and Muggle Studies needs more work."

"If you catch up on those little things, I haven't even started on the wood pile for this winter," he suggested, and felt better when he saw the last suggestion bring a smile to her face.

"No problem, It'll be done in no time, and without magic, too," she said. "Leave it to the strong woman."

They ate in silence, and said very little while they cleaned the kitchen. Then they went outside to sit in the cool air. The sky had clouded over, and Zelda remembered Severus saying the weather would change.

"You know, Michael, we haven't had much quiet lately. This is nice."

"It is," he agreed. "Should I start a fire? It feels like rain, so we won't have to worry about starting a forest fire."

At her nod, he gathered wood and busied himself making a cheery bonfire. Rowena came out and sat between their chairs, gazing into the fire. It was an extremely peaceful hour.

They were both completely relaxed when a loud popping sound rent the air, and Hermione's voice screamed, "Zelda!"

They turned to see a semi-conscious Harry being supported between Ron and Hermione. He was injured, gasping for breath, and when they got close to the new arrivals they saw a grayish tinge to the young man's skin.

"What happened?" asked Zelda, as Michael grabbed Harry and headed for the cabin.

"We found one," said Ron, panting. "Harry destroyed it, but it exploded, and Harry was too close to it. There was this greenish vapor, and he breathed it."

"He vomited," said Hermione tersely. "I think he's poisoned."

Michael laid Harry on the couch and began examining him. "It's bad," he said, as the young wizard doubled over, moaning and clutching his stomach.

"Would a bezoar help?" asked Zelda, running for the medical supply kit.

"It won't hurt," said Ron.

"We need to get him to Hogwarts," said Michael.

Zelda pulled out one of the small brown thing Severus had given her. "Harry, can you hear me?" she asked. His eyes opened and met hers, blazing with agony and terror. "I'm going to use a bezoar. Help me if you can."

He opened his mouth for her, and feeling scared, she shoved it down his throat. His body spasmed, and he lay still, breathing shallowly.

"The Portkey, Michael," she said. "Bring him to the kitchen."

Michael picked him up effortlessly and followed Zelda. Ron and Hermione followed. They were determined to stay with Harry. "Everyone must be touching," the girl said nervously.

They all clustered around, but just as they touched the Portkey, Rowena dashed up and leaped on them. There was a jolt, and the world spun away.

The next thing Zelda knew, they were all in the corner of Minerva's office. Minerva herself was seated at the desk, and a strange looking man sat across from her. They both rose at the sudden arrival, and everyone began speaking at once. The clamor was punctuated by frantic barking from a dog that was supposed to have stayed behind. The man raised his wand and shot a loud firework into the air.

"What's all this?" he growled menacingly.

Michael stepped forward, carrying Harry's limp body. "He's dying, Minerva. We need help!"

"Potter!" gasped the Headmistress. "We must get him to St. Mungo's." She turned to the wall. "Dilys, warn them we're coming."

A ringletted Headmistress in period clothing nodded firmly and disappeared from her frame.

Minerva turned back to them. "What happened?" she asked.

Ron gulped. "We found a..."

"An artifact with a Dark curse on it," Hermione said quickly. "Harry destroyed it, but there was something inside, greenish, a thick mist. He breathed it, Professor, and..."

The wizard had remained silent until then, but reached inside his cloak and muttered, "I've got a bezoar here..." His face was terribly scarred, and he had mismatched eyes, one much larger than the other and artificially, brilliant blue.

"Zelda gave one to him," Michael said quickly. "Can we go /now/? He's still breathing, but time's running out."

Minerva looked at the crowd around her. She was hardly surprised to see a large dog being held firmly by Zelda. "Michael, come with me. Moody, you'll come, and the rest of you, stay here at Hogwarts until I return." She took the strange wizard's arm, went to Michael, still holding Harry, and pointed her wand at an urn on her desk. "Accio," she said clearly, Summoning a Portkey.

They were gone instantly, leaving Zelda alone with two frantic looking young people and a confused dog.

Hermione burst into tears and flung herself into Zelda's arms. "He's got to be okay," she sobbed. "We should be there."

Zelda couldn't think of anything comforting to say. She could do nothing to help Harry, but she wanted to be with him too. She looked over at Ron, who impatiently dashed tears from his eyes. They all wanted to be with Harry.

"Ron, your family's here now. Go get your mother, please. Don't tell anyone else what happened, but we need her."

Ron nodded, looking grateful for something useful to do, and his lanky frame disappeared down the stairs.

Rowena flung herself on Zelda and Hermione, confused and upset at the emotional turmoil and the very strange Portkey transport she had experienced.

The young witch looked down in some confusion. "Zelda, why's there a dog here?" she asked wiping the tears off her cheeks.

"Come and sit down," replied Zelda, aware that the portraits were all awake and watching them with frank interest. "Severus found her, she was hit by a car. He and Michael healed her, and..." she sighed ironically, "she seems to be mine now." She stroked the sleek head reassuringly. "Rowena, you weren't supposed to come with us," she said gently.

"She seems very sweet," said Hermione, watching the devoted gleam in the brown eyes as the dog gazed at Zelda. "What's her name?"

"Rowena." Zelda rolled her eyes. "I didn't choose it, but she likes it, I think."

A muttering from the portraits on the wall arose. "Disrespectful! Appalling!" hissed Phineas Nigellus.

Zelda leaped to her feet. "Phineas, I'm glad you're here. Michael and I had a fire going outside the cabin. Would you please check and see if it's raining there? If it's not, I'll go back and put it out, but I don't want to leave without knowing if Harry's all right."

Phineas nodded politely and strolled out of his frame.

Hermione also rose and began pacing frantically. She started at a sound, but it was only Ron returning with his mother.

Molly hurried to embrace Hermione warmly, and the girl began to cry again. "Hermione, Arthur's gone to check on him, and he'll let us know soon." She looked distractedly down at a dog that was sniffing at her robes, but made no comment.

Zelda felt out of place among these people who had known Harry much longer than she had, but Minerva had instructed them to stay at Hogwarts. When Phineas returned, she saw him nod reassuringly. "Thank you," she whispered.

"Ron, will you go and get Hagrid?" she asked. "I could see he loves Harry, and I want to know about the other... stuff, if he can tell me."

Molly smiled slightly. "Stay here, Ronald." She pulled out her wand, pointed it, and a silvery blur flashed out of it, and then was gone.

"Was that a Patronus?" asked Hermione, clearly impressed.

Molly nodded, but just then the portrait Headmistress arrived back in her frame, looking very worried.

"I wish young Snape could be there," she said with an irritable frown. "The fellow has an unparalleled understanding of Dark Curses and poisons."

"How is he?" asked Ron fearfully.

"Still alive," she replied. "They said one of his lungs has been severely damaged, and he is not conscious yet. He also seems to have several broken bones, although those are easily mended."

Ron sank down on a chair and covered his face with his hands. "Harry had a pouch with bezoars in it, and we didn't even think of using one. Maybe if we had, it wouldn't be so bad now..."

Zelda went and knelt before him, putting her hands on his shoulders. "Ron, don't give up hope, they'll know what to do at St. Mungo's. Your dad's coming soon to tell us."

The door to the office flew open and Hagrid rushed in. Ron and Hermione both ran to him and began telling him what happened. Zelda finally had a moment to herself, and she went to a chair that was off to one side and sat down, beckoning Rowena to her side. Molly joined her there.

"Are you all right?" she asked.

"I'm fine," replied Zelda impatiently. "I hate to feel useless though. Minerva said we should stay here at Hogwarts until she got back, so here we sit."

"Why did you bring a dog with you?" asked Molly.

"She jumped on us just as we touched the Portkey. I wish she weren't here, but she is, so I'll try to keep her out of trouble."

Molly nodded. "Ronald told me that Moody was here when you arrived. Minerva does not want him, or the other Order members, to know about you and Michael."

"Well, he knows something, since Minerva took Michael with them to St. Mungo's. But the kids didn't say, in front of him, what they were doing," muttered Zelda pensively.

The office seemed full of people since Hagrid's arrival, and when the door opened to admit Arthur Weasley and the strange-looking wizard called Moody all eyes turned to them.

"Dad!" exclaimed Ron anxiously, "is he okay?"

"He'll make it," said Arthur grimly. "It was a close call though. He's very weak, but he wants to see you and Hermione."

"What were you kids doing?" asked Moody gruffly. His huge blue eye moved around the room, lighting briefly on Zelda. "Where did Potter find something that powerful and Dark?"

"We were in the cellars are Grimmauld Place," Hermione pronounced innocently. "We never had a chance to finish cleaning everything out, you know."

Arthur fidgeted slightly and said, "Come with me, kids, Harry's waiting for you." He looked apologetically at Molly, knowing she and Zelda would face Moody's Inquisition the minute they left.

Hermione and Ron looked back at Zelda before they left the office. Hagrid, who had not been able to say a word to Zelda, looked nervously at Moody and called out, "Wait, Arthur. I need ter ask yeh something before yeh go." He fled the room directly behind Ron, and the two women were alone with Moody.

The silence was startling, after the noise and the crowd. The wizard glanced from one woman to the other. "Who's your friend, Molly?" he asked in what he probably thought was a mild tone of voice.

"Oh, er, yes," she stuttered. "I'm sorry. I'm so worried about Harry, that I've forgotten my manners. Zelda, this is Alastor Moody. He's a retired Auror and an old friend of ours. Alastor, this is my friend Zelda."

The wizard stumped forward, extending his hand. Zelda saw that he had a wooden leg that made no pretense at looking real. She shook his hand, but pulled back when Rowena growled, so she could restrain the dog. "It's lovely to meet you," she said briefly. "I apologize for my dog's manner. She's quite protective." She began unobtrusively to apply Legilimency to see if this scary looking wizard posed a threat.

"It's a dog's job to be protective," he replied in a low growl. "I don't know who you are, but I wonder why you and that man were the ones who brought Potter to this office, using a Portkey. Were you in the cellar at Grimmauld Place?"

Green flames surged in the fireplace as he spoke, and Minerva McGonagall appeared and said quickly, "An excellent question, Alastor. It is one that I prefer not to have answered at this time, however. Zelda is assisting us, but in what manner, you need not know."

The Headmistress stepped from the fire, and Zelda was amazed to see Michael appear and follow her. She caught his eye and he winked at her.

"Minerva, how's Harry?" asked Molly. She was sincerely worried, but also wanted to change the subject immediately.

"He'll make it," she replied. "We'll know more in the next hours, of course. But I was in the middle of a serious discussion with Alastor. I wonder, Molly, if you would be so kind as to escort Zelda and Michael to their home."

"Of course," she replied, greatly relieved. "When I return, please let me know if there's anything I can do for you."

Minerva nodded pleasantly. "Thank you, Molly."

"Alastor, it was good to see you, and I hope we shall see more of you soon," said Molly, lying blatantly. "Take care."

The mismatched eyes had not wavered from Zelda and Michael. "Good to have met you both," he growled, "and a lucky thing you were there to help Potter."

"Happy to help," said Michael, smirking.

"Don't forget your dog," Minerva said, her eyes twinkling.

"Wouldn't dream of it," replied Zelda airily. "Come, Rowena."

She took hold of the dog, and they all reached for the Portkey and were safely away.

They arrived back in the kitchen of the cabin as thunder crashed overhead, causing Michael to jump in alarm.

"I'm sorry," he said to Molly. "Zel knows that loud noises still get to me, all these years after the war."

Let's sit down and you can tell us what happened at St. Mungo's," Zelda said eagerly. "Is Harry really going to be all right?"

"He was half gone by the time we got there, but yes, they seem to have antidotes for every poison in the world, so he'll make it. I don't know what they gave him, but he was already looking better. He had a broken collarbone, and several broken ribs, but they healed those right away." His brown eyes glowed. "Magical healing is amazing, Zel. I wish I could learn about it."

Molly brought tea and sat down to join them. "Did anyone know you're a Muggle?" she asked.

"No one paid any attention to me once they realized it was Harry Potter," he replied. "I'm afraid there's going to be publicity, though. They all acted like it was the end of the world when they thought he'd die."

Zelda felt sick at the idea of Harry, so sick, yet then being hounded by magical reporters. He seemed like such a normal kid to her, that she couldn't imagine him as a sort of magical celebrity. When Rowena put her head on Zelda's thigh, it was greatly comforting to pet her.

"There'll be no publicity," said Molly confidently. "The Ministry sees Harry Potter's existence as their ongoing piece of good news. They won't let anyone know he was in danger."

"What about his aunt and uncle?" asked Zelda. "They're his legal guardians, they should know about this."

"Minerva will handle it," said Molly. "Don't worry, Zelda."

An artificial throat clearing heralded the arrival of Phineas Nigellus. "The Headmistress will join you shortly," he announced.

"Phineas, thank you for coming back to check on the fire," said Zelda. She smiled in response to his curt nod. "Is there any word about Harry's condition?"

"Professor McGonagall just received the latest word," he replied.

There was a knock on the door, followed by the arrival of Minerva. Zelda took a firm grip on Rowena's collar. She stepped inside the door, dried herself with her wand and said, "I must thank you, friends, for your timely actions. Your quick transport to Hogwarts and application of the bezoar kept the boy alive."

Zelda managed to breathe fully for the first time since the three teens had arrived. "Oh, Minerva, I'm so relieved. Do you know exactly what happened? Did they really destroy another... thing?"

Michael stood and pulled up a chair for Minerva, who sat down wearily.

"They must have, given the severity of the curse," she replied. "I am waiting for Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley to tell me exactly what happened. They have been instructed to come straight here after they leave Mr. Potter."

"What about Alastor Moody?" asked Michael. "He didn't say anything, but he's very curious about Zelda and me."

"Alastor has rather grudgingly agreed to ask no questions, but he is a touch... paranoid," she replied.

"What's with the eye?" asked Zelda. "He's not a Legilimens, so what exactly does that eye see?"

Minerva grimaced. "Alastor's magical eye can see through things, and also see things that are invisible. Potter's cloak would be useless with him."

Zelda shot a wide-eyed glance at Michael. "X-ray vision? Can he see through people's /clothes/?"

"I prefer not to dwell on it, but yes, that must be the case," replied Minerva with a distasteful frown.

"During all the chaos, I got a chance to, er, explore his mind a bit," Zelda murmured guiltily. "He's not the least bit tuned in to other people, and when you say 'a touch paranoid, you're being tactful, Minerva. He's so magically-minded, if you understand what I mean, that I imagine he despises Muggles, and probably most magical people too."

"Did you pick up on any doubt of his loyalty to the Order?" asked Minerva, fascinated. "I wouldn't have dared to try Legilimency on him, but I'd like to know how far I can trust him."

"Well, he basically despises women, so he preferred the Order when Dumbledore was in charge," mused Zelda. "But he's totally committed to defeating Voldemort. In fact he's obsessed. He must be pretty touchy to deal with."

"I did not tell him who you and Michael are, and he must not know about Severus," she said firmly. "It is unfortunate that he was in my office when you arrived, but for the time being I believe he will not cause difficulties."

The door burst open suddenly. Hermione and Ron entered, dripping rain, and headed straight for the table. "Professor, another one's really destroyed," Ron said urgently, "and Harry's going to be okay. But we just saw Rita Skeeter in the lobby at St. Mungo's, so we've got to get Harry out before she realizes he's there."
Sign up to rate and review this story