Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > If Only

Bragging Rights

by IWCT 0 reviews

Tsunade turns Jiraiya down like a bedspread, but that's what Orochimaru expected, anyway. The ledgendary sannin aren't ledgendary yet, so they have an excuse to act like normal teenagers -- with su...

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor - Characters: Jiraiya, Orochimaru, Tsunade - Published: 2006-12-10 - Updated: 2006-12-10 - 605 words

1Insightful
Author's Note: I borrowed the sannin and de-aged them. Not even Orochimaru minded, so I hope that Mr. Kishimoto doesn't mind either.

The idea for this drabble came from the fact that no one wakes up one day, and desides to be evil. Even if a traumatic event skews their mental landscape they do not believe that their behavior is wrong. So, I was wondering what Orochimaru might have been like as a teenager. I actually wanted to make this into a one-shot, but I don't really have enough material here for a one-shot.

I feel really sorry for Tsunade-sama for having both Jiraiya and Orochimaru as best friends.

~ ~ ~

Tsunade is not surprised to see him when she turns away from the noodle house. In the six years that she's known the two of them, she's grown accustomed to the strange way they are attached at the hip, and yet not attached to one another at all. He probably was watching her tell Jiraiya to go to Hell from a safe distance.

"What do you want Orochimaru?" she asks, not in the mood to be stalked from the shadows of the trees that line her path home.

"You turned Jiraiya down. I would have thought that a big nice guy like him was your type," Orochimaru obligingly jumps from the tree branch where he was watching the scene between his only friends unfold.

Tsunade rolls her eyes. "Big perverted nice guy," she retorts, beginning to walk along the avenue. "C'mon Snakeface, I'm not desperate, and Jiraiya only asked me out because I suddenly have-assets," Tsunade is actually very proud of her body's new shape, now that it's hit puberty. It just wasn't the only thing she was proud of. "Besides, he's my best friend, and that's how I like him. Also, with the war on and everything, what happens if he gets hurt in the middle of a mission?"

Orochimaru nods, not saying anything. They walk in silence along the lane, and turn into the smaller street with Tsunade's home at the end. It's a tense silence, Tsunade knows. Orochimaru is a quiet person-although that has been changing lately-and she's good at reading his silences now. This is one of the ones where he's trying to decide what to say, and everything is too complicated.

They reach the walk up to her front door, and Tsunade doesn't even have a chance to pause, or say good night. The first thing she knows is he's holding her wrists, and his lips are pressed against her own. Automatically, she swings, but this is the genius Orochimaru, and he's already pulled away and ducks under her hammering fist, before leaping onto the roof of her house. She glares up at him, and he knows that the only thing keeping the masonry from shattering under his feet is that Tsunade won't use her awesome strength on her parent's own house.

He licks his lips, grins, and waves good bye before running away as fast as he can. Personally, he thinks that Jiraiya was the braver of the two of them, that night. He risked having his best friend turn him down. However, that won't stop Orochimaru from claiming the bragging rights (when Tsunade is a very long way away). After all, he succeeded, and Jiraiya didn't. He's sixteen, young, and going to live forever, because that's what teenagers do. Success always counts more over bravery in his book.

When he looks back on that thrilling night, decades later, he realizes that he hasn't changed, although he occasionally wonders what would have happened if he'd been as brave as Jiraiya.
Sign up to rate and review this story