Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

A Reunion Of Friends, With Pizza

by Emilie_D 1 review

Harry pushes his way in.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-12-12 - Updated: 2006-12-13 - 3439 words - Complete

1Funny
Harry was briefly chagrined at Professor Snape's tone, but he realized that the older wizard was not actually angry at his appearance. "Hello, Professor," he said cheekily. "You've been gone over a week and we all want to know how Zelda is. Can she remember everything?" He knelt and hugged Rowena, who had slipped past Severus to fawn on the familiar boy.

"You may as well come in and see for yourself," Severus said resignedly. "She remembers almost nothing and it will likely be a long process. Perhaps your presence will help, but do not speak of what happened at Hogwarts. She seems to be recovering feelings and impressions chronologically. A most sensible way for her mind to function."

He closed the door and gestured Potter toward the main room.

"Okay," replied Harry, sitting down in a comfortable armchair, Rowena by his side. "Stop me if I start to say the wrong thing."

Severus snorted. "I've tried repeatedly to do just that, /for years/, in case you've forgotten." He sat down on the couch and flicked his wand to light the fire.

Harry's eyes sparkled with amusement. "Well, now I'm asking you to do it."

The bedroom door opened and Zelda came out. The young man that she was beginning to remember was sitting with Severus in front of the fireplace, looking hopefully toward her. Obviously he knew her. She fumbled irritably in her muddled mind, cursing Severus for not telling her his first name.

He rose and took a step toward her. "Zelda, do you remember me?" he asked, his green eyes shining with hope.

A rush of affection pierced her and she realized that she knew and loved this boy. She managed a shaky smile and said, "Harry?"

He crossed the room and tentatively hugged her. "You don't really remember, do you?" he asked skeptically.

She sighed and hugged him as hard as she could. "I remembered your name, just now, when I saw you. It's complicated, though. Come sit down, okay?"

Severus had been startled to see that Potter was familiar to Zelda on some level. He was irritated, yet charmed, to see love for the brat shining in her blue eyes.

Harry returned to his chair and watched Zelda sit down next to Severus on the couch. He beamed as he watched their hands clasp, but only asked, "Are you okay? Will you remember?"

"Absolutely," she said firmly, squeezing Severus's hand. "If I remember too much, too fast, though, it gets scary. I have these weird, false memories in my head and it all gets muddled together."

"Can I do anything to help you?" he asked earnestly. "We've all, Hermione and Ron and I, missed you a lot."

Her brow wrinkled in concentration for a moment and then she said slowly, "Your friends. Does Hermione have long, red hair?"

Severus listened with interest as Zelda sorted through impressions. It seemed that the potion's effect had been to unleash a small flood of impressions, but now she needed to sort them.

"No, that's Ginny," replied Harry. "Ron's sister. You know her too."

Zelda turned to Severus, a question in her eyes. "Can they come to see me sometime?"

"I could bring them today," offered Harry. "It's Saturday and not a Hogsmeade day. We could bring our homework and hang out for a few hours, Sir."

"I'd like that," said Zelda eagerly.

Severus groaned in an exaggeratedly long-suffering manner. "Are you sure my girl? They are extremely annoying."

Zelda saw the laughter in Harry's green eyes and realized that he wasn't fooled by the sour attitude. "I'd love it."

"We'll get permission from Professor McGonagall," Harry said in a saintly manner. "And Professor, we have a few questions about our Potions homework, if you don't mind. Having an Unspeakable for a teacher is probably a great honor, but Professor Davis is really confusing."

Severus said icily, "Perhaps you should pay better attention in class."

"But we do! All of us! Hermione writes down every bloody thing he says, word for word. We still can't understand it. I think he forgets we're not in his brain and he jumps from one idea to a completely different one," Harry explained patiently.

"Go. Bring your friends back," said Zelda, having watched this with great amusement.

"Okay," said Harry. "Hey, can Michael come too? We can get pizza with him. Is the Nintendo still here?"

"Go, Potter!" snarled Severus. "Impudent boy."

"I'd love to see Michael," murmured Zelda, her eyes sparkling. "I like pizza too. I'm glad you came, Harry."

Harry stood up and headed for the door. "We'll be back in a few minutes. See you!"

The cabin seemed empty when he'd gone, Zelda thought. She turned to Severus a little nervously. "Well?"

He sighed. "We may never be alone again," he said irritably. "Do you know, my girl, that cursed boy hated me for years? I cannot fathom why Potter now behaves as though I am his favorite bloody uncle."

She straddled his lap and looked into his eyes, stroking his thin cheek. "How could he ever have missed the fact that you're adorable? Anyway, kids often improve with age." She kissed the frown line between his black brows and rubbed her nose fondly against his, bringing a small, reluctant smile to his eyes. "I think it might be good for me to try sorting it all out without potion this afternoon."

"You're right," he said reluctantly. "But I hate social occasions."

"I gather that. But I need to do this so I can remember, don't I?" She nuzzled his neck persuasively. "Severus, I knew Harry pretty well, didn't I? Did I know his friends?"

"You did. You knew a fair number of magical people. In fact, you frequently let those bloody students stay here with you." He stroked her cheek. "Molly Weasley, the mother of those redheaded creatures, is eager to see you again after you regain your memory."

"This isn't fun," she said sadly. She looked into his black eyes and realized how difficult it was for him. "I will remember everything. We'll figure out what Happily Ever After will look like for us too."

"What a ridiculous idea," he sneered. He slipped his hands under her sweater, discovering bare skin. Her bra made him frown briefly and he fumbled until he unfastened it.

She slipped her arms inside and removed the annoying garment. "Better?" she asked, smiling.

He Vanished it away and pulled up her sweater, cupping her breasts in his hands. "Much better," he replied, rubbing his face against them. "However, we shall be interrupted at any moment, which will ruin everything." He began mouthing her, while she stroked his hair encouragingly.

Only a few minutes later, a loud knock on the door made Rowena begin barking again and, as Severus had predicted, quite spoiled the mood. Reproachfully he pulled her sweater down and kissed her. He then used his wand to open the door, watching sourly as a small crowd poured in.

Michael strode in first, calling, "Break it up, you two!"

He set a large box on the table and headed for the pair on the couch. "Get over here and give me a hug, you wench!" he barked, holding out his arms.

"Michael," she gasped as he squeezed her. "You're a lunatic! I'm glad to see you looking so wonderful."

She studied his face as she hugged him. He looked younger, bright-eyed and mischievous. She looked beyond him and saw Harry, with three other teenagers. There was also a very handsome black man whose dark eyes met her with a wicked smile. She looked back at Michael.

"Who's the hot prospect? Do I know him? More important, how well do you know him?" she whispered.

"Since Severus had the bad taste to prefer you, I guess he's my consolation prize," he whispered back. "Now, come meet your friends, girlfriend."


&&&&&&&&&


Severus had to admit that this afternoon had been the best possible thing for Zelda. The bloody students were careful not to speak of August's events. When they sat down to eat, all of them sat in the same arrangement as they always had before. Harry sat next to Zelda and Severus sat on her other side. At times she had reached for his hand under the table and he realized memories were being stirred. Her confidence warmed him.

The students seemed shy and nervous at first, but they all tried very hard to behave normally and suddenly, it felt natural again. They chattered about school, Quidditch and the Weasley twins' latest endeavors. Severus wondered if they forgot about Zelda's damaged memory, they all acted so relaxed.

"We'll clean up here before we start our homework," announced Harry. He smiled at Zelda and asked, "Shall I make coffee?"

"I'd love it," she replied. She turned to the three men and said, "Let's get out of their way."

As they headed for the sitting area by the fireplace, she went to Kingsley and took his arm. "Since I've forgotten, tell me why you're good enough for Michael."

The Auror threw back his head and laughed. "I see that even without your memory, you still don't trust me one inch," he said with an endearing smile. "Why is that?"

"That revolting, slippery charm, of course. I despise charm," she said pleasantly. "You could try being honest. Do you deserve Michael?"

"Michael's a wonderful bloke," said Kingsley, in a soothing voice.. "Not too insecure if I play my little games. No worries, Zelda."

"I think you should marry him," she murmured gently, but with a provocative gleam in her eyes.

"Zel! You bitch!" snapped Michael, his cheeks flushing. "Butt out. You'll get the first invitation to my wedding, if it ever happens."

She gave Kingsley a light kiss on his cheek, then scampered over to Michael and gave him a hug. "I'm just looking out for your best interests," she murmured. "He's pretty cute, for a slippery, charming, sexy wizard."

"You look ridiculously happy for a woman who can't remember why she said she'd marry a guy," he snapped nastily.

She gazed briefly toward Severus, then back to Michael. She smiled, a wicked smirk, really. "Look at him. Do I need another reason?" she purred smugly. "He's amazingly sexy and he cooks too."

Severus sat down on the couch and murmured, "Come here, Zelda."

She smiled brilliantly and climbed into his lap, kissing and hugging him for a moment before sitting down at his side. Seeing Michael exchanging a nauseated look with Kingsley, she said softly, "Shut up, Michael."

"I didn't say anything," he replied, mildly. His eyes twinkled as he watched her assume an air of decorum, but he simply grinned at her.

"Are you really moving away from here?" she asked curiously. "It's hard to believe."

"I have a great new job," he said. "I'm the Founding Director of the new Albus Dumbledore Clinic at St. Mungo's Hospital. These British magical twits are back in the Stone Age when it comes to mental health care. They all love me," he said, smirking modestly.

"Who wouldn't love a pushing Muggle colonist who comes storming into a wizard hospital and orders the Healers around like flunkies?" asked Kingsley mockingly.

The two men exchanged an intense and humorous glance, which reassured Zelda greatly.

"Zel, you gotta be ready when the next adventure comes along," Michael said seriously. "Are you going to wait 'til you get every scrap of memory back before you make any decisions?"

"Michael! Give her some time," snarled Severus, fearing that Zelda was being pushed too hard. He knew how fragile she was in this state, although she put up a convincing front before others.

Zelda felt the tension radiate through his body. "Sev," she said, "it's okay." She laid a gentle hand on his thigh and when he turned to her she looked directly into her eyes. "The essential decision was made long ago, wasn't it?"

His eyes bored into hers. "Are you certain?" he asked levelly.

"Is there really anything I don't remember yet that'll dissuade me? Putting aside your endless guilt and eagerness to take responsibility for things that aren't your fault, of course," she said, her eyes holding his.

His eyes rolled heavenward. "I suppose not," he said grudgingly.

Michael and Kingsley were smiling as they watched. "Seems to me you can safely move on to the next step, deciding where you'll live and what you'll do," Michael said persuasively.

Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny arrived in time to hear this. They all exchanged excited glances as Harry levitated a tray with coffee and dessert to a small table by the couch.

"You'll come back to Hogwarts, won't you, Professor?" asked Ron eagerly.

Severus turned around and glared as though the room had suddenly been infested with decaying flobberworms. No words were necessary.

"Let's start on our homework," Hermione said brightly. She enlarged the table in the corner to accommodate four people and they fetched their books. Soon there was a quiet murmur of low voices and the scratching of quills.

Zelda tried not to smile as she murmured, "They're lovely kids, aren't they?" She handed mugs of coffee around as she spoke.

"I despise young people," replied Severus through gritted teeth. "Those four... oh, Merlin, never mind."

"Where were we?" asked Michael innocently.

"I think I was asking you if you're really moving." Zelda gazed enquiringly at him.

"The girls will love London," he said. "I know I do."

"Do you like greyhounds, Kingsley?" she asked.

"No worries, luv," he replied cheerily. "Dogs, kneazles, Blast-Ended Skrewts, it's all good."

"Getting back to your situation..." said Michael firmly.

"We'll figure it out," she said. "If we need your help, we'll ask for it." She chuckled. "Actually, here's one for you. When should I break the news to the kids?"

"Do it right away," he recommended. "Just because they're grown doesn't mean they won't be jealous."

Zelda pouted slightly. "This is news I never thought I'd be telling them," she said. "You're right, of course. I'll do it tonight."

The voices at the table had risen slightly and they all began to listen.

"But he said we're going to start making it next week," said Hermione anxiously. "He'll have to tell us more about it. The book doesn't even list all the ingredients and he didn't tell us."

"I think he remembered he needs to buy himself new socks just then," Ron suggested. "D' you remember, he just stopped talking for a minute, then began scribbling on that scrap of parchment?"

"That's bloody nasty of you to say," snapped Ginny. "I like him, he's nice and he's some kind of genius too. He should find someone like Mum to marry, who'd deal with the socks and make sure he gets to classes on time."

"Ginny, he's an Unspeakable!" said Hermione. "Who'd want to be married to a man who can't ever talk about anything he's doing at work?"

"Maybe he needs to find a woman genius then, and they can work together and hire someone to handle socks and things," suggested Harry.

"At least you didn't say they should get a House Elf," Ginny said, giggling.

"Why in blazes are we talking about Professor Bloody Davis's imaginary wife?" asked Ron, sounding wildly exasperated. "I thought we're s'posed to be doing homework."

During this odd discussion, Zelda had buried her face against Severus's shoulder to muffle her laughter. He felt a pang of compassion for Solomon Davis, who was really a brilliant wizard. He realized that Davis was far less suited to teach than he was, and had to chuckle. He remembered Professor Dumbledore telling him, during that first grim year when he learned to teach Potions, 'We'll make a teacher of you yet, young Severus.' As always, the old man had been right, he thought ironically.

"If you young idiots have finished your impudent dissection of Professor Davis's person, perhaps you'll tell me what the actual potion-making problem is?" he said coldly.

He rose and headed for the table, making Zelda bite her lip to keep from giggling. She watched as he pulled up a chair next to Harry. Her memory was a confused mess, but she believed that Severus was probably a very good teacher. He seemed to doubt himself, but she was interested to watch the way he interacted with his students.

"He said we'll start brewing Veritaserum next week. Our book doesn't give enough specific instructions, and I think he forgot to tell us some of the ingredients," said Hermione frantically. "I'm sure I didn't miss anything when I took notes, but... here, look, Sir!" she said, thrusting her notes toward Severus.

He glanced over the notes and looked up at the boys. "How are your notes?" he asked knowingly.

They both had the grace to flush.

"I don't suppose you were listening while Miss Granger was writing?" he suggested nastily.

"We were trying, Sir," said Ron defensively. "I really didn't hear any more than what Hermione wrote down. Her notes are always the best."

Severus gave the boy a cold look and said reluctantly, "It looks as if he did not finish giving you the instructions."

"The bell rang while he was still speaking," said Hermione. "The whole class packed up and left."

"How rude," commented Severus coldly. He turned to Harry and said mildly, "Tell me what you understand of making Veritaserum."

"It takes a full moon-cycle to mature," began Harry, fascinated to realize that he was no longer nervous, even when being questioned by Professor Snape about a potion. "We don't know yet what all the ingredients are, but we're supposed to assemble them all before we start."

"Which ingredients do you know and what are their properties?" asked Severus, listening critically to their responses. He waited for them to pick up their quills before supplying the missing information.

"I see we've lost Severus," said Michael, as he watched the wizard become deeply engrossed with his students.

Zelda watched the impromptu tutoring session with great interest. Severus anticipated any lack of application with biting questions, but once he was convinced of their serious desire to learn he gave them clear, no-nonsense explanations.

She turned to Michael and Kingsley, a small smile playing about her mouth. "Isn't he the most amazing person you've ever known?" she asked softly. "What a guy."

"Do you even remember him?" asked Kingsley skeptically.

"We've been together for a week," she said gently. "I remember him perfectly with everything but my memory, although this weekend, I've started to remember bits. It'll take time, but I know him, Kingsley. And the rest will come, because it's all still in me."

Rowena hopped up next her and laid her head on Zelda's leg suggestively, groaning when that loving hand descended.

"Thanks for my dog, buddy," murmured Zelda ironically. "What a lovely girl you are, sweetie," she cooed to the animal.

"Any time, babe," he replied calmly. "You gonna foist those felines on Severus too?"

"Marshmallow's already bonded with him," she replied coldly. "They're family, as you already know."

"I just wanted to show Kingsley that he doesn't have it so bad, with a mere two greyhounds. Poor Severus is gonna feel like he's living in a zoo!"

"Brat," she said. They smiled at each other and she asked with a trace of sadness, "When will I see you again, after today?"

"Any time you want, except that we all have work now."

Their eyes met, an idea forming between them as Kingsley watched, fascinated.

"Thanksgiving," they said in unison, and then laughed at themselves.

"Come here for Thanksgiving, guys, if you can manage it," said Zelda. Her blue eyes sparkled with fun. "I should learn to remember you, Kingsley, since you're joining the family."

"That sounds wonderful," said Kingsley. "What's on the agenda? I've heard of Thanksgiving, but..."

"We'll skip football, since the Lions always lose, but we'll eat ourselves sick on a huge feast and then sit around together being thankful for all the good things in our lives," said Michael.

"I can do thankful at this point in my life," said Kingsley with a warm smile.

"Me too," said Zelda, gazing fondly over at her beloved, who was in a heated discussion with Harry, something about the lesser-known properties of Jobberknoll feathers.

"You cooking for this one?" asked Michael cynically.

"I always do," she said with a happy grin. "For that one day, Severus can be relegated to setting the table and looking gorgeous. But, you, my dear friend, are helping me, right?"

He grinned back at her. "It's a deal."
Sign up to rate and review this story