Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

We Gather Together

by Emilie_D 1 review

Thanksgiving.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2006-12-12 - Updated: 2006-12-13 - 3612 words - Complete

1Ambiance
November the twenty-sixth found Zelda racing home from school when the bell rang at noon, much like her students. She whizzed into the house, calling, "Severus, can we go? I have tons to do before tomorrow."

Severus entered the kitchen after Rowena, who was greeting Zelda as though they'd been parted forever.

"Enough kissing the dog," he said sourly. "What about me? You owe me some attention in exchange for taking part in a revolting American social ritual."

She turned and walked slowly toward him, letting her eyes wander the length of his body. "I'm most thankful for your existence in my life," she said softly. She pressed her face against his bare neck, nuzzling him for a moment before she began kissing him. "Will you survive the dreadful day?"

"No doubt you will make it up to me," he suggested dryly, between kisses.

"I will. Over and over and over," she said brightly. "Besides, you must've been stuck at worse formal, dreary occasions in your life, right?"

"Some so vile that I would have preferred the Cruciatus Curse," he muttered sourly. "The Yule Ball at Hogwarts springs to mind."

"Well, this'll be much better. I hope you appreciate that I'm cooking, because you know how I feel about cooking." She kissed his chin and continued, "It's my chance to meet people I already know, and the beauty of it is that they'll only be here for a few hours."

"I hope you plan to spend the rest of the weekend fucking me senseless," he muttered threateningly.

"When you put it that way, maybe we should order pizza and lock ourselves in the bedroom now," she said wistfully, stroking the front of his jeans, where a sizeable bulge began to appear.

His eyes narrowing, Severus said, "I believe you owe me restitution for that, my girl. I shall help you change clothes."

She pulled him into the bedroom. "I feel giddy, Sev, with four whole days where I don't have to be the grownup. Come here, sexy wizard."

She closed the bedroom door in Rowena's face and kissed his cheek. Then she unfastened his pants, briskly pulling down the unwanted fabric and exposing... "Ah, my favorite plaything," she cooed, stroking his erection firmly.

Severus had intended something else, but when she smiled wickedly up at him and murmured, "Come with me, my boy," he followed her obediently to bed.

Using her clever hands and mouth, Zelda proceeded to make him forget his ill humor completely. She worked slowly and thoroughly, thankful for the presence of this wonderful man in her life, glancing up occasionally to watch his expression.

Severus was mesmerized as he watched every move she made and savored every exquisite touch. He thought his entire body had exploded for a moment, before he drifted back slowly to reality. Gasping, he pulled her into his arms and Vanished their clothing. Zelda gave him a sweet smile and licked her lips provocatively.

"Feeling better?" she purred, caressing his thin cheek.

He kissed that naughty, smiling mouth firmly. "Perhaps a little better," he whispered grudgingly. "How talented you are, my darling girl."

She wrapped her arms around him. "I need to see all these people you know," she said. "It might also be fun."

He glared at her. "So many bloody people infesting our time together will not be fun," he said.

"They're friends of yours, you know," she said. "Even without my memories I see how much they like you. Can't you accept that and enjoy it?"

He groaned. "I never had friends, Zelda. I certainly never have been loved as I am by you. It is difficult for me to believe it at times."

"Sev, you tolerate my adventures in socializing wonderfully. But I'm happier when we're alone together. That's really what I like best," she confessed. "I love coming home to you."

Her words warmed him and he realized that they were indeed in sync with each other. He would truly have a home with her.

"When you remember more, we must discuss where we shall live," he murmured, gathering her close.

"Why not now?" she asked, studying him seriously. "For starters, you can't live here, like a Muggle. So I'll be going somewhere with you." She rubbed her nose against his and smiled lovingly.

"I know, but..." he paused, choosing his words carefully. "You are so comfortable. I like it here very much and I'd ask a great deal of you to leave your home."

"Do you want to go back to Hogwarts?" she asked softly.

"Minerva wishes me to return," he replied, knowing he was evading the question.

She was not fooled. "As I remember more, not all wizards consider Muggles human," she said sadly. "Everyone's not like Harry and his friends."

"I know," he said, rubbing his cheek against hers. "Your safety and happiness are paramount to me."

"I'm happy," she said, caressing him. "With you in my life I'm happy every minute, no matter what's happening. If you want to live at Hogwarts, we'll do it."

"When you remember more, I shall take you there. Then we shall see," he said firmly. "Now, have we time to stay here a bit longer? Or shall we go to the cabin?"

His hands roamed pleasurably down her back and squeezed her bum, causing her to sigh and snuggle against him.

"We should go," she said regretfully. "But since you took everything there already, I can get things started and we'll take a real nap in a couple of hours. Michael and Kingsley won't be there 'til morning."

Resignedly, he made their clothes reappear and Apparated Rowena to the cabin while Zelda said goodbye to the cats.

"I'll bring you back some turkey, sweeties," she told them, scooping out canned food for them. "Happy Thanksgiving."

Hearing the pop that signaled Severus's return, she put her arms around him and they were off.


&&&&&&&&&


By eight o'clock on Thanksgiving morning, Zelda had the turkey in the oven and everything ready that could be done in advance. She poured herself a cup of coffee and went to sit with Severus in front of the crackling fire.

"I feel ridiculously thankful today," she said brightly, kissing his nose. "I've done most of my job, so I can snuggle with you and let Michael do something."

They watched flames dancing in the fireplace for a while, not needing to speak. Outside, snow was falling rapidly, creating a thick blanket of silence, broken only when Rowena decided to go out to run in mad circles, barking loudly. Then she ran into the house and shook heavy, sopping snow on her beloved humans.

"Enough, dog!" Severus said clearly. He pointed to her bed in the corner and said, "Go."

The dog hastened to obey him and Zelda chuckled. "Impressive," she commented. "I love it when you're forceful."

A slow burn began in Severus. "Come here," he said softly. He settled her in his lap, straddling him, and removed her sweater and bra.

"What if Michael and Kingsley arrive early?" she asked, pressing her breasts into his caressing hands and returning his kisses eagerly.

"We shall go to the bedroom in a moment," he murmured. "Lean back a bit, my girl." He captured her neck and sucked fiercely until he had marked her. His lips then moved to her nipple, which he suckled greedily, losing himself briefly in his pleasure.

"Ahhh..." she moaned, plunging her fingers into his hair and holding him. "Severus... bed, now," she said urgently.

He obliged, Apparating both of them to their bed. He stripped her jeans and knickers off and renewed his attention to those warm, lush tits.

"You're wearing clothes," she said reproachfully.

He Vanished his clothing and groaned as her hands began to possess his naked body. When she bit his hard nipple, sucking on it, the sensation went straight to his groin. The breath hissed from him and he let her press him onto his back.

He was unusually docile, since he was not normally so willing to allow her to control the pace, Zelda thought, mounting him eagerly. She grinned down at him and said, "You're the sexiest guy, Severus Snape." Then there was no more thought of talk, as she drove him to a shattering climax.

Quivering, she slipped down to his side and smiling, held him close. "I remember more every time," she said. "At first I thought I must be hallucinating, but... did I make up for all my years of celibacy with you during one summer? I never thought of myself as insatiable, but I remember the most amazing sex."

"We were both insatiable," he replied smugly. "Your disguise as a worthy school teacher is deceptive. Your creative enthusiasm gave me strength to survive the past months."

"Will you tell me what happened? I remember bits and pieces of going to Hogwarts. You were there," she said. "Lots of people... a huge man with a black beard, a tiny old wizard... I remember liking him a lot. Anyway, I think it's time for you to tell me."

"See what you remember after today," was his firm comment.

A bang, accompanied by loud barking, told them Michael and Kingsley had arrived. Thanksgiving Day was upon them.

"I trust you," she said, reaching for her robe. "But I'm impatient too. If we're going on together, I want to know what our life together will look like."

He smiled, allowing her to see his thoughts, then they dressed and joined their guests.


&&&&&&&&&


Shortly after noon, Zelda opened the door to Harry, Ron and Hermione and Ginny, who entered, shaking snow off their shoulders. Their eyes all went to hers, probing for returning memories.

"Do you remember everything?" asked Harry hopefully, hugging her.

"Not everything, but I remember all of you," she said, kissing his cheek. "It's coming back, with the advantage that I know it's over, and you're okay."

She hugged each of the others and said, "I want to hear how school's going, but later. I hope you're hungry."

The girls looked at Ron, who laughed and said, "They'll tell you I'm always hungry and I reckon they're right. Whatever's cooking, it smells outstanding."

They entered the main room, where Kingsley and Severus had enlarged the table and enough chairs for all, and offered to help. Harry looked back at Zelda with a curious frown, however.

While Zelda was distracted by Mrs. Weasley and Professor McGonagall's arrival, he approached Professor Snape.

"Sir," he began in a low voice, "Zelda's starting to remember more. When will you bring her back to Hogwarts?"

Severus narrowed his eyes. "Does that concern you?" he enquired silkily. He saw a brief, defiant spark in the green eyes.

"Well... yeah, I think it does," said Harry stubbornly. "She's my /friend/, Sir, and I'd like to see her a lot more."

Severus was pleased that these people cared about her, but that was no excuse for meddling in his affairs. He was about to say so, coldly, when he saw the hope gleaming in the bloody boy's eyes and grudgingly relented.

"Memory Charms are dangerous. She is making remarkable progress, but must not be pressed for a decision until she knows everything," he said.

"Does she know they put you in Azkaban?" asked Harry.

"No," he replied. "It would only disturb her now."

Harry frowned. "They never apologized for it, did they? The Ministry, I mean."

Severus sneered. "Your lack of experience is showing, Potter. The fact that I am free today is the only apology I'll receive, and I hardly expected this much."

"Hermione said you could've seriously embarrassed the Ministry by telling the whole truth," Harry offered.

The thin lips twitched irritably. "That may be the case, but I certainly shall never admit it again. None of it matters. Lord Voldemort is gone. Since that day in August, my life is my own."

"For me too," said Harry, realizing that he shared this with the older wizard. "It's strange not to think about him all the time, though. I always wanted to feel normal, but... it's not so easy, is it?"

Zelda joined them with a tired smile. She said nothing, but put her arm around Severus's waist and leaned her head briefly against his shoulder.

"No," Severus replied softly, looking closely into the young wizard's green eyes. "It is not easy." He slipped an arm around Zelda and said, "Look at me, my girl."

She smiled briefly at Harry and said, "I remember everyone who's here, but... the real and fake memories are all jumbled up. I have a slight headache."

Severus looked into her eyes. "You need to rest. How long before dinner is ready?"

"Michael said about half an hour," she replied. "Will you come and sit with me for a few minutes? Although I do hate to take you away from socializing," she said mischievously.

Harry chuckled at her absurdity. "I'll go help them," he said, smiling shyly at Professor Snape.

Severus brought her to the couch, saying, "Sit here quietly until dinner." He put a reassuring arm around her, stroking her hair while she closed her eyes and leaned into him.

In the kitchen, Molly said in a low voice, "I never thought what it would be like, trying to recover from a Memory Charm. I wonder if she'll ever remember everything."

"She'll be fine," replied Michael. "Watch them together. She's actually far less damaged than he is, but I think they'll both be okay."

"I've never seen Severus so relaxed," said Minerva. "Even recently, at Hogwarts, he was constantly on edge."

"Taking care of Zelda does wonders for the man," said Kingsley slowly. "Last summer she always took care of him, didn't she? He needed it then, but now, he needs to do this as much as she needs his care to heal her mind."

"How perceptive, Kingsley," said Minerva. "And very true. It's a fine thing."

The young people were busy putting the finishing touches on the table, but Harry had listened carefully to this conversation, trying hard to figure out the enigma that was Severus Snape.

"Lets get the food on the table," said Michael loudly, having noticed Harry's eavesdropping. "Ron looks weak from hunger."

A Thanksgiving dinner was not familiar to the British guests, but it all looked wonderful and smelled delicious.

"Harry, would you tell Professor Snape that it's time?" asked Molly.

He went to the couch and found Professor Snape awake, with Zelda sleeping against his shoulder. He gestured toward the table.

"We shall be there in a moment," he murmured.

Harry left and Severus said softly, "Zelda, wake up."

Her eyes flew open and she looked confusedly at him. A dazed smile transformed her face and she murmured, "Severus... I had a dream. You have to see it." She offered her memory to him and said haltingly, "It's not... I think... can it be true?"

He was stunned to see what, out of everything, had returned to her, but a smug smile touched his lips as he kissed her.

"It's true, then," she said. Her eyes were filled with joyous laughter, and she flung her arms around his neck. "Severus..."

"We shall speak of it later, sweetheart," he murmured.

"Okay," she said. She leaned into his ear and whispered something that made his black eyes glitter, then kissed him. "I was always pretty cynical about Thanksgiving, but I feel immense gratitude to whatever higher power got me to this point," she said.

"Your feast is ready and it smells quite delicious," said Severus, struggling to appear normal. "We must go and be social with your bloody guests."

The entire group was seating themselves around a table laden with food when Zelda and Severus joined them. They looked expectantly at Zelda, but she looked pleadingly at Michael, who smiled fondly at her and cleared his throat portentously.

"Thanks to all you magical Brits for sharing this day with us," he said cheerfully. "Thanksgiving's about taking time to appreciate the wonderful things that have come to us during the past year. We've shared some amazing things together. Now we can think on it again and appreciate the people who helped to get us through."

He paused and looked fondly at everyone present. "We can also look to the future. Often we believe that the battle, the trial by fire, is what defines us. That's not true. The real challenge, my friends, is daily life. Choosing to live honorably, and then actually doing it, is what really defines us. I'm blessed to have met you all and I thank you for enriching my life."

Michael picked up his wineglass and said, "Happy Thanksgiving."

The rest of them followed suit, all moved by his words.

Zelda and Severus locked eyes, still sharing something deep and intimate.

"Okay, let's eat," Michael said, chuckling. "You kids have to be back at school in a few hours, don't you?"

Platters of food began making their way around the table and eventually Zelda realized she should be paying attention. In fact, she realized, she was ravenous.

"Awesome looking sweet potatoes, babe," she said cheerfully to Michael, seated across the table. "Gotta love the marshmallow crust." She scooped a healthy portion onto her plate and grinned at him.

"What is that stuff, Zelda?" asked Ron curiously, as he forked a piece of turkey into his mouth and chewed with a blissful expression.

"A ghastly, yet strangely compelling dish from my childhood, which most people can't stand. Baked sweet potatoes with marshmallows fossilized on top." She grinned. "I have a sick obsession with it."

Hermione was enjoying Zelda's absurd commentary. "Zelda, why's there a red blob over there, shaped like a cylinder?" she asked, her eyes twinkling.

Zelda giggled, seeing Michael's smirk. "That, Hermione, is the ultimate, Twentieth Century, Muggle, American peasant food. D' you see that bowl with cranberry sauce in it?"

The girl nodded. The sauce looked like berries and smelled very tasty.

"The blob," Zelda said, smirking triumphantly at Michael, "is what my mother and grandmother considered cranberry sauce. Shaped, as you'll notice, like the can it arrived in, it's pureed cranberries and other ingredients too dire to contemplate. I prefer the real sauce that I make, but the table's incomplete without the cylindrical blob lurking somewhere."

"Fortunately, there's plenty of real food," Michael said, handing around the large turkey platter. Discreetly, he reached for the red blob and lopped off a hefty chunk.

Minerva chuckled. "If you enjoy it, then I should like to try some cranberry blob, Michael."

He snickered, slightly embarrassed. "Of course. I grew up eating the stuff, so I still like it." He passed the dish with a flourish.

The meal rolled on, filled with good food and comfortable conversation, until all of them were groaning and replete.

Afterward, magic was used to clean up, which freed everyone for other activities. Kingsley built up the fire and sat down in a comfy chair, while Ron challenged all comers to a wizard chess tournament at the table in the corner. Ginny sat down to play first.

The adults sat down around the fire and sank into a collective coma, utterly sated.

Kingsley studied Zelda, seated, as usual, next to Severus. There was a radiant glow to her smile and she faded at times into a pleasant daydream, and then suddenly recollected that she was not alone. He cleared his throat and said, "Zelda, can you tell us how much you remember? We all want to know."

Severus frowned, but Zelda put a hand on his wrist and said, "He's not telling me anything. It's fair to ask, I think." She turned to Kingsley and said, "This won't be on the final exam, will it? Because it's still really jumbled."

"No pressure, luv," he said cheekily.

She sighed, gathering her thoughts. "I remember lots of June, although it's still a bit muddled. I remember Harry coming to my house, and Hermione and Ron. Severus enlarged my living room and had them practice dueling. I remember Ron bringing me to meet Minerva and Molly in Hogsmeade, and then bits from when I went to Hogwarts." She chuckled. "I haven't really sorted everything out from that point. But it'll come."

Hooting and laughter came from the chess game. "Run along, girls... Harry's the first real competition I'll have," Ron proclaimed.

Hermione and Ginny both rolled their eyes, since neither actually cared to compete against Ron. They headed for the bedroom that was theirs and the door closed firmly behind them.

"Zelda, do you remember coming to our house?" asked Molly. "Meeting Arthur?"

"When you mentioned his name, I could see his face," she said thoughtfully. "But there are huge gaps. Just a few odd images, my occasional nightmares and then everything's normal to me since Severus came back."

"I think Severus must bring you to Hogwarts soon," said Minerva. "It will help your memory, I believe."

"When the time is right," said Severus, rather sourly. "Do not push her, Minerva."

Kingsley began to laugh. "I think you like having her to yourself here, Severus. The Muggle world can be very relaxing," he murmured provokingly.

"It can indeed," replied Severus imperturbably. "A student-free life has much to recommend it."

Minerva gazed skeptically at him, without saying a word. Her mouth twitched slightly.

An evil glint appeared in the wizard's black eyes. "We shall notify you before we visit, Headmistress. But now, if you prove capable of defeating Weasley at chess, I shall be honored to challenge you."

One eyebrow rose quizzically. "Five minutes should be adequate," she said complacently, "and I shall be at your disposal."
Sign up to rate and review this story