Categories > Cartoons > He-Man > Preludes and Beginnings - Book: Hate

Betrayal of Blood

by thew40 0 reviews

Keldor's fate is decided!

Category: He-Man - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Fantasy, Sci-fi - Published: 2006-12-17 - Updated: 2006-12-17 - 2219 words

0Unrated
Chapter Six
"Betrayal of Blood"

The blazing sun poured its light through the windows, illuminating the room that would hold a most grave secret and a very important meeting between some of the most powerful and influential people on all of Eternia. King Miro sat at the head of the table, which was really the only fixture in the chamber. Going down the table on either sides were his two oldest sons, Randor and Stephan and his only daughter, Johanna. The Man-At-Arms, Rohad, sat next to Lieutenant Duncan. Also at the table was Eldor, leader of the Council of Elders.
"What has happened?" asked Stephan. He had only been given the bare basics as to the situation, as had all but Miro.
"Yes. I'm curious as well," Rohad chimed in.
Everyone looked to Miro, whose eyes were cast downward. He glanced at Duncan, who took a deep breath and began to relay his side of the story.
"Last evening, I spotted a horse baring the marks of the Orcs cross into the Evergreen Forest. I followed, on foot, and when I caught up to the rider, I was shocked to find that the rider had found the long-lost fortress . . . of Castle Grayskull."
"Castle Grayskull?" questioned Randor. "Duncan, are you serious?"
"Very."
"It is true," confirmed Eldor. "The time has come for Castle Grayskull and its guardian to return to all of Eternia."
Miro looked away, closing his eyes hard at those words. "Continue, Duncan."
"Yes sire. I was asked by the guardian of Castle Grayskull . . . the um, the Sorceress. She told me that Prince Keldor was inside. I went to investigate, only to find the Sorceress trapped by some sort of bewitched chain. I confronted Keldor and learned that he had stolen some . . . powerful objects from the legendary Hall of Secrets. There was a fight between the three of us, and in the end, the Sorceress and I won out."
A small silence filled the table as Duncan finished his tale. And then, Johanna spoke. "He found it. After all these years, he found Castle Grayskull . . ."
King Miro shot her a harsh glance, then he turned to Eldor. "There is more," Miro told them.
Eldor nodded. "He forced Grayskull to return, in manner of speaking, although I would have expected its arrival soon anyway."
Rohad cleared his throat. "How did he force Castle Grayskull to return? I don't completely understand."
Taking a deep breath, the old wizard continued. "He betrayed Eternos. He constructed the horn in which Monteeg used to empower his Orcs. The king ordered a search of Prince Keldor's room and everything inside matched the construction of the horn."
"WHAT?!" yelled out Randor. "My brother - why would he do this!?"
"He believed that if Eternos would be in danger, then Castle Grayskull would return. By giving the horn to Monteeg, the leader and his Orcs were able to strike at Eternos," Eldor continued. "Although not completely true, Keldor brought about a certain destiny that - "
"What are you saying?!" yelped Stephan. "That this was destined to happen?!"
"Silence Stephan!" growled Miro. "Do not interrupt the leader of the Council of Elders!"
Stephan, eyes wide, sat back in his seat and lowered his head. Eldor nodded. "As I was saying, Castle Grayskull was to return at this point no matter what. The reason was unknown, but has been revealed. Keldor's betrayal."
"Excuse me, master Eldor, if you'll let me see if I understand this correctly," Randor began, garnering a head-nod from Eldor. "Keldor constructed a powerful horn that empowered Monteeg's army in the hopes to endanger Eternos enough for Castle Grayskull to appear. But Castle Grayskull was supposed to appear anyway?"
"Yes."
Randor nodded, rolling it over in his mind.
"The price for treason is life in prison," Rohad reminded. "And death, if it is high enough."
"I am well aware of the penalties, Man-At-Arms," returned Miro.
"Does anyone else know about this?" asked Johanna.
"Outside of this room, only the two guards that are keeping an eye on Keldor in the dungeon and the Sorceress," Miro answered.
"What are we going to do about this?" questioned Stephan. "What in the name of the Ancients are we going to do?"
Miro leaned back in his chair and run his fingers across her withered face. "I don't know. I don't know."
"If I may make a suggestion, your majesty," Eldor stepped in.
"Yes, Eldor?"
Eldor straightened himself. "Keldor is in part responsible for the deaths delivered during the siege. This we all acknowledge. The best punishment for him is not imprisonment and not death. It is banishment."
"Banish Keldor?" wondered Miro aloud. "My son . . . my youngest son. Banishment. I . . ."
"It would be proper, father," Randor agreed. "It's not my place to say, but Keldor committed a great crime. But I want to believe it was out of passion. Banish him. Let him live life on his own."
"No!" cried Johanna. "No, I will not have it! We can't send him out there with that heart of his! What if he is caught by Orcs or - "
"If he's caught my Orcs, then they'll be more than happy to see their ally," Duncan cut in.
"Mind your place, lieutenant," snapped Rohad.
"He's only speaking the truth. What we're all thinking," Stephan defended.
"SILENCE! THAT'S ENOUGH!" yelled Miro, fists slamming on the table. "Leave him in the dungeon in secret. Let him rot there for the rest of the day and tonight. Tomorrow I will make a decision as just what to do with him."

*

A few hours later, as the sun set, Prince Randor went to see his youngest brother. He excused the guards, informing them to get some coffee and not to speak of Keldor's place.
"Why are you here?" asked Keldor, who was gazing out the window with bored eyes.
"Why did you do it?" questioned Randor in an accusatory manner.
"For us," Keldor replied, turning around. "For father. For me. For Eternos."
"I . . . I don't understand, Keldor."
"All my life, Randor, I have been a weakling. To you, to Stephan, to Johanna, to our teachers and peers, but most of all - to our father." Keldor heaved. "I wanted to prove that I can be more to you and the others! That I can be capable of taking the throne - any throne!"
"And giving Monteeg the power to attack Eternos? That's a way to prove your worth!?"
"DAMN YOU, RANDOR!" roared Keldor, hands gripping the bars of his cell. "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND! BY BRINGING MONTEEG TO ETERNOS, THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL WOULD BE REVEALED TO US! AND I WAS GOING TO TAKE IT AND HELP US!"
Randor sighed. "My brother . . . your selfish act has cost us dearly. Many have died in this awful and silly campaign."
"Awful?" snapped Keldor. "Silly? This was one of the greatest days of my life! I have found Grayskull! Its power is mine!"
Randor looked at his brother, and felt a great sympathy for him. "Oh, Keldor, you . . ."
"DON'T! Don't you even try and act sympathetic towards me!"
"Keldor . . . they're going to banish you."
Keldor's eyes grew wide. "What?" he questioned, in shock. "WHAT?!"
"I'm sorry, but it's pretty much the decision father has reached."
Keldor stepped back, turning away from his oldest brother. "Get out."
"What?"
"GET OUT!"
Randor stood in shock, never seeing this kind of rage in his brother's eyes in his entire life. He stepped out and left the room, leaving Keldor standing in sheer anger behind iron bars.

Keldor sat there for hours, letting the sun sink deep beneath the horizon. The guards had returned, and were making some chitchat with each other. It was time, Keldor realized. They wanted to banish him, then so be it. He no longer wanted to be part of this family.
Back turned to the guards, Keldor began to concentrate and mutter to himself. He then spun around, shouting a series of words and throwing his hands open at the iron bars. The bars shook and quaked. The guards leapt into action, but were too late.
The bars exploded at them, knocking the pair unconscious.
Keldor stepped out of his cell, free. He opened a nearby locker and retrieved his cloak and his sword from Grayskull. Very swiftly, Keldor made from the door.

*

The weary king stumbled into bed, and the last light went out. His eyes closed and slumber began to form around him.
Outside, a thick fog was coming across the lands of Eternos. Light from the fires that burned the fallen bodies of the Orcs was all that guided the men that walked on the grounds that restless night. The fog brought with it an uneasy air, and there was a bizarre tension about it all.
Something within his quarters awoke Miro. His name was said, but not his actual name. It was a name that he had been called for many a year now.
"Father," it called again.
Miro stood up and peering into the shadows of his bedroom, the voice swiftly coming to his memory. "Keldor?! What is going on here? How did you escape?"
"Father, oh father . . ." Keldor mused aloud, his body barely seen in the darkness of the night. "I did this for you. So that I would gain your honor and respect."
Miro stepped towards his shadowed son. "Honor? Respect? Keldor, I have lost nearly all those things I felt were positive about you. The moment you betrayed us - turned your back on us! On me! On our all people!"
"Damn you, old man!" hissed Keldor, and Miro suddenly saw a moonbeam gleam against Keldor's blade. "Damn you and your kingdom! How dare you give it to those that don't deserve it? Was I not a loyal son? Was I not worthy?"
"Once, maybe you would have been - and had you come to me, talking of honor and worth, I would have valued your judgement as much as your siblings! Instead, you filled your voice and opinions with fairy stories and tales of fiction!"
"Grayskull came at my command!"
"Damn it, Keldor! It would have come anyway! You commanded nothing, and from now on, you shall command less than nothing! You have been banished, stripped of any small amount of honor you had, and are removed from this kingdom - never to set foot in it again!"
Miro saw rage burning in Keldor's eyes.
"You blame me still for mother's death!"
"I blame you for never moving past it! For never becoming more than what you are, and for never letting it go!"
Keldor snapped, his scrawny body lurching forward. Miro was shocked at the speed his youngest son moved with. The sword that Keldor had stolen from Grayskull was suddenly at King Miro's neck; the blade mere centimeters from flesh.
My own son is going to kill me, Miro thought with horrific calm.
A loud noise filled the room and the door s flew open, light pouring in. Randor stood at the entrance, swiftly dressed and panting.
"FATHER!" shouted the oldest son, barely looking at the contents of the room. "Sorry to wake you, father, but Keldor is - "
He stopped mid-sentence. Keldor sneered and pulled back from his father, the Sword of Darkness hovering now at his waist.
"Randor," hissed Keldor.
Miro looked to his oldest, only to find Randor charging forward. The aged king threw himself back onto the bed and rolled over it, landing firmly on the other side. Miro could only watch as Randor dodged Keldor's blade, and his fist went sailing across his face.
Keldor stumbled backwards, but swung with his sword. Randor blocked it with his own small sword, pressed on it, and then kicked Keldor in the stomach.
"Stand down, brother, and by my honor, I'll go easy on you."
"What does it matter any more, dear Randor?"
Keldor leapt around Randor and shoved out his hand, muttering beneath his breath. Randor was thrown back against the far wall. Keldor ran out into the corridor.
"Father!" shouted Randor. "Father, go after him!"
Miro barely seemed to register Randor's words. He stood completely still, as if in a trance. Randor immediately regained his mobility and ran down the corridor in a mad dash, hardly thinking about his father as he chased Keldor.
Keldor was panting as he made for a nearby balcony. He shoved the doors open, pulled out a rope and cast a spell on the rope. It came to life and wrapped around the railing, the rest tumbling down into the fog-entrenched city.
"KELDOR! STOP!" roared Randor as he made for the balcony. "STOP IMMEDIATELY! IF YOU DO THIS, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO COME BACK!"
Keldor grabbed hold of the rope and stood on the railing. An eerie smile came over him. "Haven't you heard, dear brother? I've been banished. It seems Eternos and its royal family has turned its back completely to me."
With that, Keldor leapt off the balcony, sliding on the rope as he disappeared into the fog.
Randor went to the rope, but as soon as he neared it, the rope came undone and fell into the thick mist below. "No . . ." he whispered into the night.
About an hour later, a horse was reported stolen. Not long after that, a rider was seen riding the stolen horse, heading east and wearing a purple cloak.
Sign up to rate and review this story