Categories > Anime/Manga > Fruits Basket > Cat of The Zodiac: Kyou Sohma

Chapter 6: Getting Well

by spiralred 0 reviews

"Nope, not now, I'm on a mission!" Momiji declared, "Today is my 'Extra-Special-Cheer-Up-Kyou-Day'"

Category: Fruits Basket - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Humor, Parody, Romance - Characters: Kyo, Yuki - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2005-08-05 - Updated: 2005-08-05 - 10848 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer; I do not own Fruits Basket.

Chapter 6A; Getting Well

"Miss Honda, I think it's time we head back in, what if Kyou came home while we were gone."

"Is that concern I hear in your voice? For once Yuki shows some kindness toward his cousin, his lifelong partner in combat."

"Shut up."

The way Shigure says it they sound like a couple.(Tohru sweat dropped)

*

The three walked into the foyer to see Kyou unconscious on the floor. He was sprawled out oddly, and from the looks of the floor he ahd been sleeping restlessly. There were mud marks surrounding him and the soaked clothes that were clinging to him were tightly twisted about him. Kyou had removed the shoe from his sprained ankle in his sleep, and now the shoe was about three feet away and the ankle was swollen. Tohru rushed over to him, highly alarmed.

"Oh no, Kyou what happened to you."

"We won't find out now."

"Poor Kyou, I hope he'll be alright, we should get him out of those wet clothes."

"Yuki will you take care of him, It's late, I'll call Hatori to check on him in the morning."

"Oh . . . uh huh."

Shigure headed to his bedroom pausing once out of sight.

"I'll help you with Kyou."

"Don't bother, it's alright, you've had a long night, you should get some rest."

"Ano . . .(yawn) . . . hai, good night."

Shigure continued toward his room chuckling to himself.

Well, this is a surprise, no argument from Yuki against helping Kyou what's going on between those two.


*(means new scene)


Where am I? It's so bright in here. How long was I asleep?

Kyou sat up from his bed.

"Oww."

Kyou began to feel the soreness in his muscles from the day before.

"Oh yeah. note to self: don't fall asleep on strange roofs, and always check the weather forecast."

Kyou glanced around the room, his eyes resting on the one alien thing in the room.

Huh! What is Yuki doing in here? Was he waiting to attack me? Is he waiting to tell me off for what I said yesterday?
Calm down, you're acting like an idiot, look at yourself, you're clean, you're in different clothes, you're in your room and Yuki is asleep, he must have been the one who took care of you last night.

Kyou stared at his caretaker, and he began to feel a sort of warmth, longing, trust in him, but that unnerved him, Kyou masked those emotions with anger.

That damn showoff, he just had to make himself look better by helping out the poor, pitiful, cat. I didn't even ask for his help . . .
But you needed it didn't you?
What if I didn't?
Admit it, you did.


Kyou slowly glanced back over at Yuki.

Yuki was sleeping soundly, the gentle sunlight filtering through the curtains, catching in his hair, glinting on the stray strands, it illuminated the hair to look like a halo. On Yuki's face was a soft expression of happiness and tranquility. Kyou tried to hold back a smile.

"Hmm . . . now, how can I wake up the nezumi without getting beaten to a pulp? . . .Aha, I've got it!"


*

Yuki woke up groggily, taking a few moments to notice the tanned arms clasped around his chest.

"Kyou!" angrily, "Do you know how long we were out there searching for you yesterday?! And you missed wo . . ."

Kyou cut him off, "I'm sorry." Kyou hugged Yuki tighter.

"Baka neko." Yuki said cooly, "You're going to get fired, how did you get over here anyway, your ankle is swollen and you couldn't even get past the entryway yesterday."

"Aarrgh! Since when do you care kuso . . . I mean, I'm sorry. You took care of me yesterday, didn't you . . . thanks. I didn't mean those things I said yesterday, I guess I'm still jealous of how strong you are, how you can cope and I can't. Yesterday I didn't mean to snap at you, I meant to thank you, I really needed you that night."

"Kyou, you're not angry with me?"

"No."

"Kyou, why are you hugging me"(1)

Kyou blushed deep red. "Because I felt like it!" Kyou began to pull his arms back when a pair of ivory hands grabbed them and pulled them back into place.

"No, it's alright, I don't mind.(~). . . So how did you end up like that last night?"

"I fell."

And . . .

"Baka. Do I have to beat it out of you?" Yuki said with a smile.

"Okay. Well, after I left the library I needed to cool off, so I climbed."

"What do you mean 'climbed'?"

"The roof."

"Of the school?"

"No, an apartment building. . ."

" . . . and."

"I fell asleep," a smile broke across Yuki's face," and then I woke up and it rained . . . " Yuki started chuckling, "You missed work and got caught in the rain because you were sleeping?"

"It's not funny! I guess I was wrong, You really don't care!"

"Idiot. Who do you think dragged your muddy carcass up here and cleaned you?"

"Sounds like you're going soft, ratboy."(see #1)

"Just finish your story, I don't have all day to sit here listening to you."

"Well the rain made me kind of dizzy so when I was climbing back down I slipped and fell, and twisted my ankle."

"You dragged yourself all the way home on a broken ankle? Why didn't you call home for someone to pick you up?"

"I thought you were still angry with me, and I was depressed damnit! . . ."

"In other words, you didn't think of it."

I was awful, I didn't deserve to be helped.

Kyou was silent. "We should call Hatori to look at your ankle." Kyou remained silent, consumed with thought.

Why is he being so nice to me, he really is my savior. He does so much for me when he has every reason to hate me. I don't deserve him. I don't think that I could have gotten through without him. I. I was wrong last night, maybe I can feel that way again, safe and secure in his arms.

"Kyou? Hello . . ."

"Thank you." Kyou tightened his hold on Yuki again, trying to convey all his emotion in the hug, pressing his chest into Yuki's back. For a second Kyou had taken Yuki by surprise, causing him to freeze for a moment, it passed, and Yuki smiled one of those truly honest smiles that he rarely gives. They just sat alone together in silence, at peace with one another. Their hearts and breathing acclimating, while warmth, physical and emotional spread between them.

This is weird, Kyou is hugging me and I'm not pushing away. I never expected that we could become this close, but it seems like we can leave those past grudges behind us. This feels good, like something i've wanted my whole life, something comfortable and satisfying.

Yuki sat there for a few more minutes before wondering when Kyou was going to let go, he turned to look at Kyou, and upon seeing his face, realized that Kyou had fallen asleep. Yuki smiled, "That idiot." and then gently removed Kyou's arms and gently laid him down on his bed.


*


"So Yuki, how is Kyou?"

"He has a twisted ankle, we should call Hatori over later."

"Aww, it's so cute how Yuki is playing nurse for Kyou. Maybe I should call Aya over as well to bring over a nurse costume."

"Ohh! That would be so kawaii."

"Miss Honda, I think that anything that idiot brother of mine would bring over here would suit you much better than me. Shigure if you call my brother I'll hang you myself."

"Must you always spoil my fun? I was hoping to see both Ha'ri and Aya today, it's been so long since the three of us have been together."

"I'm really glad that you and Kyou are getting along anyway."

"I agree, a diplomatic answer is always the best answer to any conflict, unless it's a lover's quarrel, in which case I suggest something more passionate."

"What nonsense are you going on about now?"

"Nothing. I'll call Ha'ri now, I hope he's not too busy."

Shigure left the dining room to make the call.

"It really is kind of you to help Kyou. I knew you two could become friends."

Yuki stared at Tohru with a wondering look on his face.

"Miss Honda are you the reason Kyou came to talk to me?"

Tohru flushed red with nervousness and her voice trembled as she spoke at her mile-a-minute pace.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I hope I wasn't being too forward, I suggested he talk to you, was I out of place, he didn't disturb you did he . . ."

Tohru was silenced when Yuki put a finger to her lips.

"That was one of the oddest conversations I've ever had. It's alright, thank you Miss Honda, you really are so thoughtful, your instincts were right, I think both Kyou and I needed it."

"No thanks required, knowing you two are finally getting along is reward enough for me.'

How can she be real? such an incredibly selfless person, she seems higher than us, better than human, like an angel.

Yuki gently smiled at Tohru.

"I'm going out to the secret base, will you tell me when Hatori gets here?"

"Hai."

Yuki exited through the paper doors of the living room.

Tohru swooned,

He's so handsome when he smiles.

And then began to clear the table.

I wonder what I should bring Kyou-kun for breakfast.

After putting away the breakfast dishes Tohru was bringing a tray of food to Kyou.

knock, knock

He must be sleeping, I'll just leave the tray for him

Tohru cautiously entered the room, leaving the tray beside the bed. She glanced over at Kyou, he looked very peaceful, sleeping there, Tohru became mesmerized looking at him. She sat down next to him on the mattress, gazing at him.

Kyou-kun is so handsome, even when he's sleeping calmly like this i can sense how strong and powerful he is, it makes me feel safe, and his hair, it's so much like mom's, it's familiar comforting, it reminds me of home.

Before she realized what she was doing, Tohru was stroking Kyou's hair. Kyou shifted in his sleep, surprising Tohru.

"Yuki?" Kyou mumbled before wrapping his arms around Tohru's waist.(2)

POOF! a cloud of orange smoke filled the room.

"Oh Kyou! I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to turn you into a cat, I was just sitting on the bed and then you hugged me, but you must be wondering why I was in your room, uh, I was bringing you breakfast . . ."

"I didn't mean to grab you, I thought you were Yuki I mean, I didn't know you were there, AARRGGHHH!! What were you doing in my room?!"

/I am such an idiot/, they spoke and thought simultaneously.

Then the both of them stopped rambling incoherently and looked at each other.

They started laughing.

"I'm sorry." Tohru said.

"Yeah, it's alright." Kyou replied, before returning to human form wit a puff of orange smoke.[^]

Tohru quickly turned away to let Kyou clothe himself.

"So what did you bring me?" Kyou asked once he had finished dressing.

"Well, I know you don't like leeks, so I didn't make leek soup, even though that's best for when you're ill , so I brought you fish soup instead, I hope you like it."

"Arigato."

"You're welcome Kyou-kun, you're certainly cheerful for having twisted your ankle yesterday."

"Do you expect me to be dull and lifeless like the nezumi."

"That's not what I meant, It's just amazing that you have so much energy in you, that nothing can keep you down."

"No, I have no where near as much strength as you have."

"Oh no, every time I'm stressed I end up getting a fever or fainting, it's kind of disappointing, to know I'm so frail and easily affected."

"You really are strong Tohru." Kyou argued.

Tohru gave up fighting, "It seems like you and Yuki are getting along."

"Yeah I guess I don't hate him so much."

Really Kyou-kun, it seems deeper than that, the way Yuki looked after you, and the way you said Yuki's name in your sleep.

"Shigure called Hatori to come over."[#2]

"Damn! Hatori's coming, I'll never get out of bed, last time I had an ankle sprain he wouldn't let me leave the house for a week."

"Well, he's a doctor, he should know best ."

"Sometimes I think he just lives to make me miserable like Shigure does."

"Oh, Kyou."


*


knock, knock

"Ahh, Ha'ri you're finally here, and you've brought Aya along with you . . ." Shigure added discontentedly.

"Yes, I brought him along, I thought he would bring some cheer to your house, Shigure (and to get him out of my house)."

"Gure-san! How my heart swells like a gushing geyser at the mere sight of you, too long I've waited for your gentle touch."

"Oh Aya, the mere sight of your silken hair makes my heart pine with regret for the time we've spent apart."

"Yes!" They said, and then saluted each other with the thumbs-up sign.

"But, I don't think Yuki will be very happy to see you, he promised to hang me if you came over."

"Fear not Shigure, I will defend you to the last, we shall end together or not at all, where is my darling younger brother anyway?"

"I think he went to the yard, let's go visit him."

"Idiots." Hatori sighed, "Where is Kyou?"

"He's upstairs. Hatori when you finish I think the three of us should talk."

Hatori started up the stairs, paying no heed to Shigure's second comment.


*


"Kyou."

"Hatori."

"So you've sprained your ankle."

"Yes."

"Let me see it . . . tell me if it hurts." Hatori began to flex Kyou's ankle.

"Oww . . .oww . . .shit, it hurts Hatori, will you stop moving it."

"It's very badly twisted, you'll have to keep off of it for at least ten days."

"Damn! Hatori do you live to make me miserable?"

"Of course I do, just as Shigure and Ayame live to ruin my life. Take these painkillers once a day, at the end of the week I'll bring some crutches over for you to get used to."

"Do I really need to keep off of it for a whole ten days?"

"Yes. You walked on it after you injured it, didn't you. If you hadn't tried to keep walking on it it wouldn't be this bad, the original injury would have healed in a day or two, but you aggravated it."

"Hatori, do you have any mind control power, you know like, other than erasing peoples memories?"

"What?!" The question caught Hatori off guard, "Kyou, what are you planning?"

"Nothing, forget it , it was a stupid question anyway. I was just thinking how much easier talking to Akito would be it he were controlled by someone else."

"You need to talk to Akito about something?"

"Yes, but it's a ways off."

"What about?"

"Nothing important. He'll probably say no anyway. I don't even know why I'm going to bother."

"Kyou what are you going to ask Akito?"

"Don't worry about it."

Kyou was obviously avoiding the question, Hatori decided to let the subject slide, for now at least.

"Tell me how you twisted your ankle."

"I . . . uh."

"We were fighting and I tripped him on the stairs, he tried to catch himself and chase me back up the stairs and made it worse."

"Hello Yuki."

"Hello Hatori, could I speak to Kyou alone."

"Of course, His examination is finished, make sure he doesn't try to walk for the week."

Hatori left the room leaving Yuki and Kyou alone.

"You weren't actually going to tell him that story about falling asleep on the roof, were you?"

"No, and your story wasn't any better, at least I would have told the truth."

"A simple thank you would suffice."

"You think it's that easy to get a thank you out of me?"

"I was this morning or did you forget already?"

"I DIDN'T FORGET! That was . . . different."

"Uh huh." Yuki said skeptically. He walked over to and sat next to Kyou on the mattress. Yuki spoke again. "Remember what I said that day we took Tohru to see Akito, when I said we should have a fight. I know you haven't been up to it since, but once your ankle is healed would you like to spar with me?"

"I don't know . . ." Kyou said in a placid tone.

What?! I thought Kyou would jump at a chance to fight with me

Kyou watched as Yuki's face contorted with looks of confusion and dejection.

"I didn't mean to offend you, but I don't know if I can fight with you anymore."

"What? That doesn't make sense, you love martial arts! You've been fighting with me since we first met!"

"I just . . . , I . . . , it reminds me of him, of how he controlled me without me even knowing, all the stupid, ignorant, futile battles I fought, thinking you were my enemy. You're right, though, I love martial arts, I miss it, everything about it; the movement, the flow, the sense of power and knowledge I feel to go through a kata of execute flawless kick, and how it reminds me of Kazuma. I'm not sure if the positive feeling outweighs the memory. I just don't know if I can do it anymore."

Briefly Yuki fathomed goading Kyou into fighting, but being the kind of person who thinks before he speaks, he realized that it would not help the situation and would not have a positive affect on the newly formed friendship between them. To tell the truth Yuki didn't understand why he was angry at Kyou for not wanting to fight with him or why he had wanted to in the first place those months ago.

For some reason I have this sort of urge to be near Kyou, I've felt it since the first night when he transformed or maybe before then. Kagura made me realize that no matter how much we fought, how much we said we hated each other, i cared for him, what happened to him was important. Since then I've had this lingering feeling that I want to talk to Kyou, be close to him. The feeling intensified the night he slept in my room. Although I was confused about why Kyou had come to me and I was jealous that he had someone to come to about his bad dreams, I was still happy. I was contented, it felt wonderful to help someone, but it wasn't just that, it was special because it was Kyou. I don't know why Kyou is so important to me, why I value this new friendship with him, it's strange, is it wrong or right? Should I feel so much for him? Should I be upset about him not wanting to fight with me? Whatever I'm feeling and however my relationship is changing with Kyou, I guess I shouldn't worry so much.

"I understand, but I don't think you should give it up entirely, you really are a great fighter."

"Yuki, I appreciate that, thank you."

Yuki began laughing, "See, it is easy!"

"Oh shut up!" Kyou said with a quickly fading scowl, he couldn't help smiling at his own forgetfulness, that and Yuki's infectious happiness.


*


Meanwhile the "mabudachi trio" had convened in Shigure's study.

"Ah. Watching those three reminds me of our youth, the new generation of the 'mabudachi trio.'"

"Yes, they're almost as squeezable as we were."[#3]

"But no one could match the adorable mayhem we created when we were in school. Remember the time . . ."

Hatori cut Ayame off "Shigure, I'm sure you didn't bring us up here to reminisce about our school years."

"Although that is fun Hatori is right. I came up here to discuss with you the 'new generation of the mabudachi trio."

"I'm not staying here to listen to you two gossip."

"I mean this in all seriousness, I'm concerned for them."

"Really 'Gure, what's worrying you, you're not one to get worked up over anything."

"Hmm, you're right, that is a bit out of character for me isn't it, but it's those anomalies that make life interesting and ever-changing, for the story of life is constantly changing and never predictable. Que sera, sera! hahaha." (He's really not very concerned is he?)

"Shigure, as you were saying about Kyou, Yuki, and Tohru."

"Oh yes, well Kyou's been acting strange ever since Kazuma's visit, it seems as though he should have recovered from the experience by now."

"Shigure, you can't expect him to be able to return completely to the person he was before, none of us can imagine how the experience felt for Kyou, he may just need more time."

"But it's not just that, Yuki and Kyou have been acting oddly, for a while they had been more friendly to each other, they stayed out of each other's way, they hardly fought. Then one night I woke up to voices and noises coming from Yuki's room, that was three days ago, and then yesterday Yuki seemed angry with Kyou about something, whenever I asked him where Kyou was he got annoyed."

"Well anyone would be annoyed at the way you pester people."

"Then when he saw Kyou's ankle last night, he took care of Kyou, took him to the room and everything, no argument at all!"

"So you're suggesting that that Kyou and Yuki have some sort of 'secret friendship' or a relationship like ours?"

"Are you sure Yuki wanted to help Kyou yesterday, it wasn't out of guilt?"

"What do you mean Hatori?"

"From the fight, Yuki told me Kyou was injured when they were fighting yesterday."

"That's not it at all! Kyou went missing yesterday, he missed his work shift, we spent all night looking for him, the when we gave up and went home he was lying on the floor soaked to the bone, covered in mud, with that twisted ankle."

"Gure, how horrible!'

"I know, I thought my wood floor would be ruined."

"So he was lying, I suspected as much. That cock-and-bull story wouldn't explain how badly injured Kyou is. The question is; why is Yuki covering for Kyou?"

"You couldn't fool us, you're justas much of a gossip as we are.'

"I am merely concerned as you are, remember Shigure?"

"Yes, we are deeply 'concerned.'"

The three them laughed.

"Hmm . . . that is strange, but isn't it good that they're becoming friend, shouldn't we be encouraging them?"

"I don't think that Akito would approve."

"I understand, Akito sees any change in the family as a direct challenge to his power. Although, I wonder, it seems Tohru has created the groundwork for change in him, is it possible that someday soon we could have a gentler, more forgiving family head."

"Speaking of Akito, Kyou said something about needing to talk to him about something with him."

"Oh yes . . . so he's really going through with it, is he. A while back Kyou told us he was going to find a cure for the curse. I told him it was impossible, but Tohru kept on encouraging him. I was skeptical about the whole thing, but it stopped Kyou from waking us all up in the middle of the night, screaming from those nightmares. They rarely happen now, but Kyou has persisted, I'm afraid of what will happen when he goes through with it and tries to ask Akito about it."

"Hmm, should we discourage Kyou from his plan?"

"I don't think that we should do that, let's just let things go on as they are for now, Kyou told me, it's a while yet before he will speak with Akito."

"Won't it be harder to get Kyou to let it go, it will be a bigger letdown the more time we let it go on."

"Kyou is a big boy, he can handle the disappointment. All we can do now is keep a close eye on the 'junior trio.'"

"Ahh that feels like a weight lifted off my shoulder. Now Ha'ri you can leave so Aya and I can talk about our love lives, we wouldn't want to depress you.

Hatori gave and annoyed sigh, "Gladly." Hatori stepped out of Shigure's study and into the garden, lighting a cigarette.

"So Aya, how is Mine?"

"She's wonderful, why just the other day she came into the shop in this adorable pink and white dress, all ribbons and lace, the skirt at mid-thigh, slightly flared; thigh-high stockings, garters and all, decked with ribbon flowers on the top edge; ribbons and flowers adorning her hair and the bustle and train at he small of her back. What a glorious sight she was, if it hadn't been one of my favorite dresses I would have ripped it off her myself. It was so odd, I've seen those outfits on so many people, but none of them have made my heart race like Mine. Seeing all those costumes before, I had become sort of desensitized to it all, attraction, romance, the allure of a woman, it's like Mine has reawaken my senses and emotions."

"Oh Aya how naughty! sounds like things are going splendid, no problems in the snake department?"

"Not as of yet. How are things going with Mii?"

"I can hear the desperation in her voice each time I call."

"Well that's to be expected, the way you drive her in circles at your deadlines."

"Let me tell you my newest plan of action to tease Mii. First I shall send her a ransom note telling her that i'm kidnapped and that to ge me back she should meet the kidnapper at that expensive french restaurant in town, where I will be waiting dressed in my finest treating her to dinner."

"Excellent, tricking her into a date."

"But that's not the end, I will end the evening by leaving her a false manuscript with a note telling her to meet me for another date the next night, if she wants her manuscript."

"Shigure, that is truly devilish.'

"And wholly fun. I love how she gets so emotional over the little tricks I play, it's so adorable, and then when I finally give her my work she is so happy she can only cry.'

"If only tricks and cute outfits weren't the farthest we could go.'

Shigure sighed, "That's why you, Aya, will always be my number one."

"From beginning to end you and me." Ayame drew close to Shigure, putting an arm around his waist.

"Forever." Shigure put an arm around Ayame's shoulders.

The two gazed at each other and then their heads moved together, their lips met. They kissed enjoying the feeling of each others' mouth for a few seconds before pulling away, then they rested their foreheads together.

Ayame sighed a quiet, "yes" and Shigure imitated him, and they both began chuckling softly.(3)

("I'm glad I'm not in there, who knows what perverted things they're talking about."~Hatori)


*


"Kyou did you take the painkillers Hatori prescribed?"

"Yeah. Yuki why are you being so nice to me?"

"I thought you wanted us to be friends or at least that's what Tohru told me. Plus I feel sort of responsible for you ending up like this."

"It's not your fault at all, I was the one who ran off. I shouldn't have yelled at you, you did something nice for me and I tried to make you feel embarrassed for having done it. Damn I really don't mean to be such an idiot all the time, I should have just talked to you, to tell the truth, it was something I needed to come to terms with."

"Some of the things you said . . . you were right, I needed to hear it."

(Flashback)

"And if me having come to you bothers you so much why did you let me stay?"

(End Flashback)

Yuki awoke from his reverie.

"I'm sure Tohru is cooking dinner now, d'you want me to bring you anything?"

"Nah. I don't have an appetite."

Kyou paused, his mouth still open slightly, as if trying to formulate the right words.

"Yuki would you stay here, just until I fall asleep, . . . I mean, it's not like you have to stay if you don't want to, it would just help me fall asleep. Forget it, it's alright, I'm no baby, I can fall asleep on my own, damn, why did I ask such a stupid question in the first place!" Kyou was so nervous he was stumbling through the words, his palms were sweating and clammy and his head was was beginning to feel hot and feverish.

"I'll stay." Yuki said. Kyou's face flushed red, he tried to pull his comforter up to cover the blush.

Yuki climbed onto the mattress next to Kyou, laying back with his hands behind his head. Yuki being that close to Kyou made him even more nervous, he felt hot and sticky under the blanket. Yuki glanced over and saw how red Kyou was, he reached over . . .

Kyou saw a hand coming into his plane of view, it came closer and closer, Kyou couldn't figure out what Yuki was trying to do, but the hand's course didn't change, approaching until . . .

Kyou flinched. Yuki rested the back of his hand on Kyou's head.

"You feel warm. I think you have a fever, do you want some ice?"

Kyou sighed, relieved, "No, I'm fine, I don't need any ice."

What was I thinking, it's not like he was going to hit me or something, I guess I'm nervous cause this is new for me . I've never been just calm, just me around Yuki, before it was always a fight, or pretending, hiding our true selves and emotions, the only times I felt that we were honest with each other were because of Tohru. When we were waiting for her to come home, that day after the cultural fair, the both of us were comfortable enough to fall asleep in the living room because we knew exactly what the other was thinking, we were not worried about being attacked by one another because we each knew that we were only concerned with Tohru coming home safe. That's how I should feel, comfortable, safe, the way I felt that night . . . Kyou started to heat up again and that sticky irritating feeling came back . . .that is the way I should feel, not nervous! Now that I think about it, I've felt this way before, when I first met Tohru, when she would walk into a room with me I would shake, I'd be quivering, sometimes the words wouldn't come out of my mouth, or I'd be shouting for no reason at all. It made me feel so strange, so I'd yell and say that she didn't belong here, why do I feel this way, why can't I just feel the way I want to feel.

Kyou tried to shift his position to get more comfortable despite Yuki being there.

"Kyou, what made you decide to do this, curing the curse." Yuki asked

"I'm just tired of seeing everyone pushed around by Akito, I don't want to see anyone get hurt by him anymore."

"If you find a cure, will everyone stop obeying Akito, will Akito be cured too."

"That's what I expect, once were free from the curse we'll be free from Akito, right? And if I had it my way Akito would stay cursed."

Yuki began to regret having said anything about Akito, the mere mention of his name made everything feel cold and dark. The memories still haunted him.

"Would you please not mention him again."

Kyou had felt it too, any mention of Akito seemed to rob the atmosphere of all warmth and joy.

Yuki nodded in agreement.

The two fell silent, Yuki having given up on conversation.

/This is not the way Kyou used to be, what happened to him, he's lost some of the spirit he had, the fire and intensity. It's odd, I kind of miss that about him, his strong attitude, that energy, it was contagious: always, fighting Kyou was so much ore exciting than fighting Haru because in every battle he would give off this energy that just made you feel invigorated, He seems more reserved now, I think of this as the new Kyou, but I guess this has been a part of him most of his life, something he just suppressed. Still, I hope that he can learn to be that way once again, happy, with that fire in his eyes./

"Kyou."

" . . ."

Yuki turned his head to look at Kyou. He was asleep. Yuki began to climb out of the bed when Kyou grabbed him. Kyou was still asleep, but clutching Yuki tightly.

"Yuki make it go away, make Akito go away. Make the pain stop. I don't want to remember. Mommy will still love me if I forget, won't she?"

Yuki shivered, it was frightening to see Kyou act this way, he had always seemed so strong, it was surreal for him to cling to Yuki like a child, and even worse it felt like reliving the nightmares of his childhood.

Yuki tried to comfort Kyou, patting his back, and then he cradled Kyou's shoulders in his arms.

"It's alright, I'm here." Yuki soothed

Kyou eventually calmed down and rested peace fully again.


Yuki left the room laughing to himself.

I should have known better than to lay down next to him again.

~@~






Author's notes

cuteness moment 1: "Kyou, why are you hugging me."
~add full room pan and excessive 'beauty of nature' shots here~
#1 Either that or you've got glaucoma ~Daria
cuteness moment 2: "Yuki?" poof
^My first normal transformation Yayy!
#2 There is so much innuendo and double-entendres in my dialogues with and about Hatori, I was kinda self-concious about it.
#3 I love the way shigure uses the word "squeezeable", in the subtitles he uses this word instead of cute. The only time I had ever heard that word used before was to describe toilet paper.LOL.
cuteness moment 3: "Forever." "yes"
Again, I made a mistake, after reading book two I found out Kyou had a room, aaahhh, I'm so dumb.
Why are Aya and Gure getting more action than Kyou and Yuki, and boy do those players know how to get some tail.

Continued

Blue sky____________________________
Orange, Yellow, Red leaves _____________
Crisp Autumn Winds___________________

God Damnit! I need to get out of this house.

It was the seventh day of Kyou's recovery and he was afflicted with cabin fever. Being stuck in the house resulted ;
-Crankiness
-Anxiety
-Random Shouting(~)
-Boredom
-And entirely too much time to think about Yuki.

Kyou had awaken that morning to peace and quiet, interrupted by Shigure's obnoxious voice.

"Kyou-kun! It's time for Yuki to give you your sponge bath isn't it?" Shigure's voice rang through the house, the joke of Yuki being Kyou's nurse had perpetuated, at least for Shigure, especially since Ayame had, without fail, produced a darling candy stripers' uniform in Yuki's size.

"Or would you prefer Tohru-kun, I know how you love her strawberry towels!"Shigure continued his taunt, to Kyou's annoyance.

That kuso, baka, hentai, ecchi, inu.

knock, knock

Yuki's soft voice drifted in.

"Kyou, I think the coast is clear, hurry up, before Shigure comes back."

"Alright."

"Hurry up."

"Well, it's hard. It hurts to move it around this much."

"Do you want me to do it?" Yuki asked sarcastically.

"Hell no!"

Fortunately Kyou made it to the shower before Shigure returned upstairs.

Who the hell does he think he is, joking like that.






Author's notes

(~) when does Kyou not do this?


Continued

After Kyou's shower he still felt awful, his feelings of depression that got him injured him in the first place had stagnated. They continued to hang in the air like a bad smell, especially due to Kyou being trapped in the house. The house was so quiet during the day, with Tohru at work, and Yuki at his student council meetings after school; it left Kyou pretty much on his own, to brood on his depressing thoughts, occasionally walking to the window to curse nature for being so beautiful to spite him. Sure Shigure was there, but he wasn't much help, he had started asking Kyou about how he was getting along with Yuki, which was definitely not something he was ready to talk about. So Kyou simply continued to worry.

/Why did decide to do this in the first place? I'll never be able to find a cure, no one believes I can do it, Shigure already said it was hopeless.What if I fail? What if I spend my whole life searching and find nothing? Will my life mean nothing if I fail?/

These questions constantly swam in Kyou's mind, driving him crazy.

*

Meanwhile, Yuki had been distracted all day at school. Something had been nagging at him, but he couldn't quite get a hold of what it was, he kept drifting off, losing concentration. When his teachers called on him in class and he answered, "Huh?" they thought he was ill and would send him out of class to get some fresh air or a drink of water. Tohru had noticed Yuki's odd behavoir and asked him about it at the end of the schoolday.

"Yuki, daijoubu?"

"I'm fine Miss Honda, thankyou, I think I'm just a bit tired."

"Oh, alright then, just don't exhaust yourself."

"Don't worry about me Miss Honda, I'll be fine, just take care of yourself."

Tohru smiled brightly at Yuki and replied with a giggle, "If I don't worry about you, who will? Make sure you get home and rest. Oh my, I better hurry, I don't wanna be late for work. Bye-bye Sohma-kun."

"Sayonara." Yuki called, and with that she went off to her job.Yuki started towards his student council meeting, but something about what Tohru said troubled him.

What did she mean by,"If I don't worry about you, who will?" there was something odd about it. That didn't sound like her, but she's never coy or witty, so most of the things she says arevery straightforward unless she's using one of those odd metaphors of hers, but that didn't sound like either, that sounded like . . . flirting. No, that couldn't be, not from someone as pure and innocent as Tohru-kun, I must have heard it wrong. I'm thinking too much on it, I'm becoming just as perverted as Shigure, corrupting what was simply a sweet sentiment.

Yuki continued onward toward his meeting.

or was it?

Yuki sat down in the meeting room listening to the others discuss plans for the upcoming cultural fair when an uneasiness came over him, making it difficult for him to concentrate . Yuki began to daydream, something he rarely indulged in, and completely removed himself from the meeting.

In his dream Yuki heard the words Shigure had said that morning, "Kyou-kun, it's time for Yuki to give you your sponge bath isn't it?" but then Yuki headed to do it. Yuki went to the bathroom and and got a sea sponge, soap, a pitcher, and basin, and then he headed to Kyou's room. In his dream the room seemed like Kyou's, but unlike it, all that was clearly visible were Kyou and the bed he sat on, everything else was soft and blurred. The room was bathed in an erethreal light which made Kyou's hair shimmer. Yuki knelt beside the bed to prepare the water, pouring some into the basin, the water made a pleasant plink-plop-plop sound(1). Then he dipped the sponge into the water to moisten it, rubbing it against the bar of soap to make suds, meanwhile the dream-Kyou watched intently, seemingly anxoius for Kyou to start. Yuki reached up to Kyou and began unbuttoning his nightshirt, Kyou submissively consented, allowing Yuki to undress his upper body, Yuki's fingers touching the soft skin of his chest every now and then, the smooth cloth sliding off Kyou's shoulders. Yuki gently ran his fingers up the side of Kyou's face, and then pulled them through his hair to move the loose strands out of his handsome face. Then he touched the sponge to Kyou's temple and gently dabbed it across his face. Dream-Kyou seemed to enjoy it, he closed his eyes, and his mouth would twitch into a slight smile whenever Yuki hit a sensive spot. After finishing Kyou's face Yukidragged the sponge along Kyou's neck, which was particularly sensitive, causing Kyou to shiver and twitch. The motion was very cute and it excited Yuki, he reluctantly continued onward cleaning Kyou's upper back, shoulders, and arms, during which Kyou remained relatively silent until Yuki reached his chest. When Yuki passed over Kyou's nipples with the sponge he began to writhe, and as Yuki continued downward Kyou's breathing quickened and he made soft sighs and moans. When Yuki reached the place where the blanket covered Kyou's waist Yuki stopped, unsure of himself. Dream-Kyou continued to writhe with anticipation, but when Yuki's touch failed to come Kyou slowly opened those gorgeous red eyes heavy-lidded with pleasure. He parted his lips and questioningly said,

Yuki?

"Kyou . . ." Yuki said aloud, his voice raspy with desire. Yuki had just been asked what he thought of their new idea for the booth at the cultural fair.

"What did he say?" A girl asked.

"I think he said 'Kyou'." another answered.

"Why would he say 'Kyou'?"

"Maybe that's the person he wants to take his place wearing 'the dress' this year."

"Ohh. Payback for being laughed at in that ridiculous outfit."

"But why Kyou?"

"What do you mean?"

"He'd look horrible in a dress."

"How do you know? He is Yuki's cousin after all."

"But how would we get him to do it?"

"Maybe we could get Tohru to convince him, you've seen how she hangs out with him."

"Kyou? . . . Tohru? No that's not right, I want . . ." Yuki broke in.

One of the students touched Yuki on the shoulder,

"Are you alright?"

Yuki snapped back to reality.

"I'm so sorry, I was completely somewhere else, I think I need some fresh air and rest. Can someone brief me on the meeting tomorrow?"

"Of course." And with that Yuki sped out of the room.

"Why on earth was I dreaming that?" Yuki asked his reflection in the bathroom mirror. Yuki's face was flushed red.

A/N;

(1) Yes, I know my onomatopoeias suck.


Continued

At home Kyou was not thinking about Yuki, on the contrary, he was just then thinking of several very simple, morbid, suicidal, genocidal, and homicidal ways of ending the curse, such as;

Commit suicide,
yes, it was incredibly selfish and and no, it wouldn't help anyone

Kill every living Sohma,
if he succeeded in killing everyone, no one else would ever be affected, of course it wouldn't be easy

Or kill Akito,
completely ineffective, but gratifying nonetheless.

In other words, Kyou felt hopeless.

Slowly, day by day, Kyou's ankle improved, his mood did not. As his flesh healed his internal wounds remained irritating, inflamed sores. The recuperation had left Kyou feeling listless and depressed. He felt like a cat in a cage, one that was too small, like a house cat being shoved into a birdcage. Every glance out the window sent him into sadness and longing, desperate for the sun, the feel of crisp autumn breezes dancing through his hair. He felt not only imprisoned by Hatori's orders, but by his own limitations. His ankle was an impediment to everything he was working towards, he couldn't research, he couldn't work, for goodness sake, he couldn't even climb up to the roof. It angered him, but more than anything it made him feel hopeless and depressed. There was honestly nothing to be done until he was well so for a period of time he felt truly useless.

Plus he was lonely, you don't really understand loneliness until you have relationships with people, and he missed being with people. It truly surprised him that he missed people, it was surprising to think that two years ago he had told Shigure that he wasn't meant to deal with people, had it really been that long? Now he missed the sense of community he had at school and he especially missed the company of Yuki and Tohru. Since Kyou's injury Tohru had taken up extra shifts, to try to make up for the money Kyou wouldn't be making while he was healing, so he rarely saw her and Yuki was as busy with student council as ever. The loneliness Kyou felt made him feel weaker, embarrassed that it could effect him so.

Doubt flooded his mind about everything he knew. Though months had passed since his transformation, his second form was still troubling him. Sometimes he wondered if Kazuma had really accepted his second form as part of him, but then, he remembered that Kazuma was the one who removed his bracelet. If he had feared Kyou in his cursed form he would not have taken the risk. With his doubts about Kazuma's acceptance came an old fear, a ghost from the past, his mother. The look of fear on her face , her turning in shame, the reassuring words that were always so unconvincing; each time the bitter memories resurfaced Kyou tried his best to will them away, saying,

"You're past this, she's not here anymore, you have Kazuma now."

but the words were not very comforting. The truth was, he didn't really have Kazuma, Kyou knew that Kazuma would always support him, but it was rather hard to feel his paternal love at such a distance.

The fear that consumed Kyou the most, though, was the fear that Yuki did not accept his second form. Tohru's acceptance hadn't meant as much as Yuki's had; thinking back on it Kyou wondered why he had not expected Tohru to come after him like she had, it wasn't in her nature to reject anyone. Yuki was a completely different story, Kyou still didn't understand why Yuki had gone after him, it was so unlike Yuki. How was he to be sure that Yuki wouldn't go back to being the same, cat-loathing, evil, rat.

Why did that damn shit rat come after me anyway, he was probably just worried about Tohru, like it would kill him to care about anyone else.

But he does care . . .

How can I be sure? How do I know that? Besides I don't care about him, so what if we made amends? so what if we're not rivals anymore.

He does care for you, and that's what you wanted . . .

Oh really? What I wanted? What I wanted was to ignore that part of me, to forget the pain, to forget my life, I don't want to exist, I . . .

You don't mean that, you're just afraid . . .

Yes, I'm afraid of Akito, I'm afraid the plan won't work. Who cares? I never asked to be a part of this family anyway!

Who did?

. . .

Yuki didn't, Akito didn't.


And with the word itself the thoughts rushed, flooding Kyou's mind. Akito smiling benevolently, as if to conceal the true demon he is; Akito standing menacingly over him with a knife; , the memory of the ice coldness; faint words, "monster", "repulsive", 'hideous." Then even more painful new words, the voice echoing through his mind.

"You think I will allow this? I thought I taught you long ago, my word is law. You cannot free them, or yourself, even in death I would own you because I would be the reason for your suicide, give up, my hideous monster. Otherwise you will be punished in more ways than one."

The rush of thought and emotion clouded his mind to the point of causing physical pain. Kyou fainted and then transformed. In place of Kyou on his bed was the small orange cat sleeping off the headache.

Kyou remained a cat, he wasn't found until evening.

Shigure and Yuki were sitting at the table, Tohru was working that evening, so they ordered bento that evening for dinner. When Kyou had not appeared at all during dinner Yuki decided to take him a box.

As Yuki walked towards Kyou's door his heart began to race. It made uncomfortable palpitations, the way his heart would beat during an asthma attack, but he felt no pain, just anxiety. Yuki could sense that something was wrong. Yuki opened the door and saw Kyou's current state.

Kyou was still unconscious, curled up in a ball on his bed. Yuki approached the bed, his heart still beating furiously, and knelt beside it. The rise and fall of the cat's chest assured him that Kyou was still alive. Yuki gently nudged Kyou's shoulders to wake him. . Kyou shuddered, but did not wake. Oh well, Yuki had to resort to plan B, Yuki ran his hand along Kyou's underside. Kyou woke with a start, jumping up, hissing and spitting.

Yuki couldn't help but laugh. It was hilarious to see Kyou like that. To a normal person, seeing a cat hiss wouldn't be very funny, but to a Sohma it was the kind of thing you'd talk about for weeks.

"What are you doing here? Get out!"

"Just making sure it was you and not some alley cat that wandered in." Yuki said snickering.

Kyou paced his bed nervously, fuming, before calming himself down.

"Why did you do that?"

"To wake you up."

"No, why did you do that?!"

"What? Stroke your tummy?"

"Yes! You know that's where my . . .[1]"

"Actually I don't know, I'm not that familiar with cat anatomy, but if you'd care to enlighten me . . ."

"Never mind, you can leave now."

"Why are you a cat?"

[2]"None of your business. Leave now!"

"I don't think your ankle is strong enough for you to have walked far enough to hug a girl, so what's wrong?"

"Nothing. Go!"

"Tell me."

Kyou rose a standing position, feebly. Kyou's eyes flashed with true anger as Yuki had not seen before.

The cat crouched, puffing itself up and fluffing it's tail like it was inflating with anger. Kyou's eyes sparkled as if a flame had been lit in them, pools of shimmering red and amber. The creature flattened it's ears and snarled, baring the sharp teeth to threaten Yuki.

Yuki decided to take the warning and leave, but before exciting he said one last thing,

"Kyou, you don't have to be afraid to talk to me, I'm not your enemy."

Then he shut the door behind him.

Kyou released himself from the death-glare stance and curled up among his pillows as if to hide from his guilt and shame.

That baka . . .

Yuki leaned against the wall and banged his fists on it.

*

"Call Hatori, Kyou's turned himself into a cat."

Yuki announced in Shigure's room.

"And he hasn't been out of his room I'll guess." Shigure said.

"No, I don't suspect so."

"Well I'd feel terrible to call Ha'ri now and have him over on such short notice."

"More like he'd bite your head off."

"He's due by tomorrow to check on Kyou's ankle anyway, we'll just wait till he comes."

"I don't think it should wait."

"Don't worry, Kyou will be fine, he's strong, that's something you've always underestimated about him."

"What do you mean? I've always beaten him."

"Physically you may be stronger than Kyou, but you've always underestimated the strength of his heart, but it is not uncommon for lovers, friends, rivals,(what are you two these days?)to ignore their partners greatest strength. There is a tendency to see them as vulnerable. Look at all Kyou has been through without really breaking down, he's resilient. Kyou's not ready to give in yet, he's still too stubborn to realize he needs help. Let him have his pride, let him keep what strength he can. Don't push, give him time.[3]"

There was a deafening silence after Shigure's words, he left Yuki with a lot to think about.

*

The next day . . .

As usual Kyou spent the day at home, alone, but this time as a cat. Kyou was much more sensitive and emotional as a cat, so spending the day alone, cooped up inside once more had a much more profound affect.

When he awoke that morning , and realized he was still a cat, all Kyou wanted to do was force himself back to sleep. Of course, this would be one of those difficult mornings where he would shift positions every five minutes for about an hour before giving up on sleep. So he eventually climbed out of bed, making him instantly wish he could fall back to sleep, then he paced the room a bit taking a few moments to look out the window before trying to sleep again. Of course it was futile. He went pacing again, and all of a sudden his eyes caught the movement of the curtain.

Why was it moving? It should be still. I'll just reach up and hold it still.

Before he knew it, Kyou had shredded the curtains.

*

Hatori came over that day, but not alone.

"Momiji?"Shigure questioned after opening the door.

"Yep,it's me, the darling cute bunny!"

"It's good to see you Momiji, If you came to visit Tohru-kun, she's in the dining room."

"Nope, not now, I'm on a mission!" Momiji declared, "Today is my 'Extra-Special-Cheer-Up-Kyou-Day'" ending his statement with a meaningful pose, pointed finger extending to the sky.

"After talking to you this morning I thought Momiji would be the best medicine for Kyou."
Hatori said with an uncharacteristic gleam in his eye.

"I knew it! Ha'ri has caught our sense of humor, the years of bad influence have finally paid off, I've got to tell Aya!"

With that Shigure scampered off to his room to call Aya. Hatori sighed with exasperation as he and Momiji climbed the stairs.

"I better go take care of Shigure, Momiji I'll leave you to it?"

"Aye Aye Captain! Have no fear, Momiji is here."

Then they both went their separate ways."

*
Momiji approached Kyou's door, slowly, steadily, creeping on his toes in utmost silence. He continued on sneaking, inch by inch until he was pressed against Kyou's door.

knock, knock

"Go Away." Kyou said sourly. Earlier Tohru had talked to him, but it had only made him more ashamed of his current state.

Flashback

Tohru knocked on the door softly, followed by a gentle, "Kyou-kun."

"I really don't want to talk right now."

"That's alright. I can talk to you."

Kyou sweat dropped That's not what I meant, but nonetheless Kyou was won over by Tohru's cute naiveté.

"Come in." Kyou said in a low voice.

Tohru entered the room, slightly wary, Knowing Kyou's temper. She slowly walked over to his bed and sat near Kyou. Tohru sat silently for a moment, idly playing with the hem of her shirt, then she realized, Oh right, I'm the one who's supposed to be talking,

"I'd really like to understand why you feel this way Kyou, you know that I worry about you. I do understand that you can't tell me, so I won't force you, do whatever makes you feel best."

Then Tohru took a moment to organize her thoughts.

Kyou took that moment to walk over and set himself right next to Tohru so that he was snuggled up right against her leg. Tohru reached over and put him in her lap. Kyou decided not to object and made himself comfortable.

"I know you don't want to talk to anyone right now and I know out of pride you wouldn't want to tell me what's wrong, so I'll just wish and pray that you get well. I'll pray that your ankle heals so you can go back to your job and your research, I'll pray that you can find a way to be happy again so that you'll feel strong and motivated to find the cure: but most of all I want you to be happy so that I can see your smile again. So, if you can't get well for yourself, or for your family, maybe you can get well for me."

Tohru looked into Kyou's eyes as she ended the statement, petting the soft fur on Kyou's back. Tohru's eyes widened suddenly, as she realized the intimacy of the situation.

"Umm . . . I mean . . . that is, if you want to do it for me, of course, that's just assuming that I mean that much to you . . . I'm being too presumptuous aren't I?"

Kyou interrupted her, yelling "STOP!" and then seeing the look on Tohru's face, realized his tone was too harsh, "No . . . I'm sorry. I meant to say thank you. I will try to get well Tohru, for you."

They sat in contented silence for a while and Tohru, sensing that Kyou didn't mind, continued to stroke his orange fur.

Now, Tohru had encouraged Kyou to try to get better, but she had not gotten to the root of the problem. So, enter Momiji.

*

Today our 'hero' wears red culottes and burgundy socks and his long sleeved, blue, t-shirt has the Superman logo, but the 'S' is replaced with a 'G" for 'genki.' On his head is a hat, with gold, blue, red, and white stars in a Wonder Woman-esque design, and pinned to his shirt was an Ultraman button.

Momiji burst into Kyou's room in true space pirate form like Ryoko, Haruko, or Atomsk. Fog and dust rose around him and he was backlit, so that he was only a dark silhouette with his hair blowing wildly around his head with the help of wind from an unseen force. Slowly the smoke cleared and lights rose, revealing our 'hero's' identity to everyone. Momiji's head rose slowly, and then a dark smirk was revealed on his face.

"Hi Kyou!" Momiji grinned and bounded to Kyou's bed.

"You need all that entrance just to say 'Hi Kyou'?"

"Well, I'm going to say more eventually, and I wanted to be dramatic."

"I really wish I could give you a noogie right now for that, but this form prevents me from picking on you."

"Well that's good!" Momiji said, grinning.

"How the hell is that good?! I'm a cat, I can't even control myself, I tore up the curtains and I have this constant urge to lick myself."

"Well then you should change back, shouldn't you?"

"And how do I do that?" Kyou said exasperatedly.

"That is for you to tell me."

"First of all how should I know and why would I tell you?"

"Because I am safe. I don't live here, you don't like me, you have nothing to prove to me, and I'll be gone by tomorrow. There is no risk for you."

"Is it that bad? Does everyone see how depressed I am? Why do they even care, can't they just let me rot on my own in peace?"

"What is wrong with you Kyou? "

"Everything. I don't know, being a part of this family."

"No, what really is bothering you? Right now."

"Do they really not mind about the monster, or are they just pretending? I miss Kazuma, why couldn't I have just stayed with him? Why did I remember? Why did I believe the truth and stop fighting Yuki? I could have just as easily refused and remained ignorant, and fought him and been happy? What am I doing? What have I done? What happens now?"[4]

"Allow me to be exceedingly perceptive. This is about Yuki, isn't it?"

If a cat could flush Kyou would be the color of a red delicious apple right now.

"Well, is it or isn't it?"

"I don't know, it is . . . sort of, but it's also about the plan, and about true form . . ."

"But it's mostly about Yuki, isn't it."

" . . . yes."

"Take a chance Kyou."

"A chance at what. A chance losing everything, a chance at being broken, a chance at letting him beat me without even putting up a fight."

"Stop being afraid. You can't insulate yourself from everything, you're not giving up by wanting to be with someone, it's a strength, not a weakness. You trust Yuki, he wouldn't be in this just to beat you, he's taking a chance too, there are just as many risks for him as there are for you, but he'll take that chance, risk it so that you both can have happiness, even if it ends up costing him."

"What about Tohru?"

"What about Tohru? You don't belong to her, you love her and she loves you. Above all, she wants you to be happy. She will do whatever she has to to see you happy."

"But, she was there for me."

"She wanted to be there for you, it was of her own free will. That doesn't make you hers, you owe her only your gratitude, respect, and admiration, you owe her nothing more. Your heart is your own to give to whomever you want."

Inside Kyou, all the locks he had placed on his heart were being released, and all the worries and preoccupations he had placed on his mind were fading away. Kyou smiled as the tears began to fall, the clear orbs gliding through his fur.

poof

Kyou was feeling too happy and lifted up to care that he was nude.

Momiji rose to leave.

"Take your chance Kyou." He said, smiling encouragingly.

"Thank you Momiji." Kyou replied quietly.

@

As soon as Momiji got outside of Kyou's room he he did a little victory dance down the hall, singing a song in his head.

(to the tune of the Dora the Explorer "We Did It" song)

I did it, I did it, I did it,

YAY!

(Yo encima)

I did it!

I broke through Kyou's shell, and he's happy again

I did it, I did it, I did it,

HOORAY!

Now he'll fall in love with Yuki, and you'll know why

'cause

I did it, I did it, I did it, I did it

My work is over, a job well done.

From here on out, you'll know who saves the day.

Momiji, Momiji, Momiji

YAY!

I DID IT!

{end of cute little song and dance}

Momiji went down to the living room, still humming his little song.

Tohru was there, serenely sipping on a cup of tea.

"Hello Momiji! I didn't know you were here, would you like to have some tea?"

"Traurig, I'm here on business Tohru, sorry I couldn't talk with you earlier, and I'm very sorry, but my job isn't finished just yet, I promise I'll come back as soon as I finish."

"Oh, ok I'll be waiting then."

"I promise. Would you happen to know where Yuki is?"

"Sorry, I haven't seen him since breakfast."

"O.k. Thanks anyway Tohru."

Momiji dashed off, searching for Yuki all through the house, even checking the roof and the 'secret base.' When Momiji found Yuki, he was in Shigure's study, reading a book called A Natural History of Love[5]

"Yuki, I have good news" Momiji said, grinning,"Kyou has returned to his human form, and I think he'd be very happy to see you right now."

Yuki didn't need any more provoking, he was gone in less than a millisecond.

Ah, this is what I live for, making people happy, two at a time, he he he.

*
Yuki went straight to Kyou's room and opened the door.

"Kyou, I'm sorry."

"You're damn right you're sorry you pervert, I could have been changing," Kyou laughed. "I'm sorry too."

Kyou hugged Yuki tightly.

"Well, are you hungry, you must want to get out of this room and stretch your legs."

"Not quite yet."

"Why not?"

"I'm sleepy."

"You spent all this time in your bedroom and you're sleepy?"

"Mmm . . . Yes. Will you take a nap with me?"

"Okay. Just for a little while."

The two of them settled onto Kyou's bed, side by side, propped up on the pillows, Kyou sort of snuggled into Yuki and Yuki's arm wrapped awkwardly around Kyou's side, not sure if he should rest it on Kyou's waist or his shoulder.

And before they fell asleep, Kyou did something very un-Kyou-like, and kind of daring, he kissed Yuki on the cheek. Then two of them then settled into a lazy afternoon nap.



THE END OF CHAPTER SIX

THANK GOD





[1] This is where a cat's nipples are supposed to be, do male cats have nipples?

[2] This is where Kyou should wittily reply,"I was born this way."

[3] "Since when does Shigure say anything deep and meaningful?" ~Yuki

[4] "So what happens now? Another suitcase another home. So what happens now? You'll find a way you always have before. Where am I going? Don't ask any more.~ Random Evita moment.

[5] In researching titles here I found the title Finding True Love in a Man-Eat-Man World : The Intelligent Guide to Gay Dating, Sex. Romance, and Eternal Love. My friend Miriam suggested the title here, A Natural History of Love and Lust: Author of the National Bestseller "Life as a Prison Inmate" LOL!
Sign up to rate and review this story