Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Slayer, The Avatar And The Guardian Of Light

CH35 - What Is The World Coming To

by GuardianOfLight 3 reviews

Dumbledore confronts Harry and the conversation gets a little heated

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover, Drama, Fantasy, Romance - Characters: Dumbledore, Harry, Hermione, Professor McGonagall, Ron, Snape, Tonks, Other - Warnings: [!] [V] - Published: 2007-01-10 - Updated: 2007-01-10 - 1798 words

5Exciting
Chapter 35 - What Is The World Coming To

Dimension: 563 - Earth
Date: 10th August 2001 AD
Country: Britain - Scotland
Location: Hogwarts - The Hospital Wing
Time: Evening


Harry was walking towards the great hall for dinner; Buffy, Hermione and Ron were with him.

He had already told them that he would go back immediately after dinner, he didn't like the idea of being without Fleur for more than a few hours and they had been apart since they got up yesterday morning as they hadn't had the chance to see each other since, Harry being at Beauxbatons and Fleur catching up on work.

Hermione and Ron had argued of course, Hermione thought he should stay with Dumbledore for his own safety, whereas Ron disagreed and said that if the protections where he was were better he should go back, Hermione kept trying to enforce her point, but then again they did not know what he had been through that summer and he could not risk telling them yet.

They walked around the corner towards the Entrance Hall coming face to face with a nervous looking Professor McGonagall.

"Oh, good evening Harry." she said nervously before quickly walking past them.

"Are you alright Professor?" asked Hermione concerned.

"I'm fine Miss Granger." she replied not stopping.

She disappeared around the corner.

"That was strange." said Buffy.

"Yes it was." agreed Harry before turning suspiciously to the Great Hall doors, he shook his right wrist slightly, as if trying to loosen something in the sleeve before turning back to the others "Don't tell anyone in there about what just happened and don't let anyone think we are suspicious."

"What's there to be suspicious about?" said Ron concerned.

"Think Ron," said Hermione "When have we ever seen McGonagall looking that nervous?"

"Well....never."

"And did you notice the way she only acknowledged Harry until I spoke, and called him by his first name rather then calling him Mr Potter."

"Well I suppose...."

"Something's up Ron." She finished turning to look at Harry he was looking at the doors again "And it has something to do with Harry."

"Have your wands at the ready, don't draw them yet, just have them ready." warned Harry as he plastered a fake smile across his face "Lets see how much of the DA training paid off." With that he led the others into the hall.
________________________________________________________________________

Dumbledore was sitting at the head of the only table in the hall, as there were very few people present they did not require the multiple tables they usually had and it was not fair on the students to sit at one table while the staff sat at another.

The one table had enough space for perhaps a dozen people.

On Dumbledore's right was Professor Snape who was busy with his meal, Dumbledore had never managed to fathom how he could remain quite so calm in this sort of situation, in fact the only person who seemed to be able to rile him was Harry.

At the other end of the table were Tonks and Mundungus both looked particularly uncomfortable at the prospect of what they might have to do if the following encounter played out as they thought it would.

Laughter was heard outside the door and the three students and their female guest walked in.

"Hey Tonks." greeted Harry "Mundungus."

"Wotcha Harry, Hermione, Ron." smiled Tonks.

"Hey." greeted Mundungus shyly.

There had always been a bit of tension between Harry and the con, Dumbledore believed it to be because of the incident with the Dementor's last year.

The four sat themselves down at the far end of the table, Harry next to Tonks with Ron on his other side between him and Snape and Buffy next to Mundungus with Hermione sitting opposite Ron.

If Dumbledore had been looking he would have spotted the strategy to their seating arrangement.

They were positioned furthest away from himself and Professor Snape who were probably the most experienced duellists in the room, Buffy was seated next to Mundungus, the stronger of the two opponents at their end of the table, who of course she could easily overpower leaving Harry to deal with Tonks, neither of them was particularly strong but Harry's larger size gave him the advantage, that left Ron and Hermione blocking his and Severus's line of attacks.

The strategy was sound, it was obvious to the Gryffindor's that if it came down to a fight they would not stand a chance but it was the best arrangement for the situation.

They sat quietly for several minutes, Harry introducing Buffy to Tonks and Mundungus, both were apparently here for security encase of another attack which Harry did personally not believe would happen....at least not one originating from outside.

About half way through the meal Dumbledore decided to ask the question.

"Harry, you never did tell us where you were staying this summer."

"No I didn't." replied Harry without looking up from his plate.

"Answer the Headmasters question Potter." demanded Snape.

"It wasn't a question Snape it was a statement, he said that I didn't tell him and I agreed."

"Harry," continued Dumbledore "I must insist on knowing where you were staying."

"You can insist all you like," replied Harry calmly, still not leaving his meal, aware that the doors were slowly closing "But that does not mean that I am going to tell you."

"Tell us Potter!" demanded Snape jumping to his feet, his hand diving into his robes for his wand.

Snape's movement was like the pistol that started the race, in the blink of an eye everyone in the hall was moving.

There was a loud bang as the doors sealed.

Harry let his wand drop out of his sleeve into his hand and cast a Stunner on Tonks whose hand was half way to her jeans pocket.

Buffy punched Mundungus in the jaw, knocking him unconscious.

Snape and Dumbledore both launched spells at Harry, Dumbledore firing a Disarmer while Snape launched a Full Body Bind, both of which were blocked by Ron and Hermione's shields.

Snape and Dumbledore fired again, this time with more power behind their spells, both spells got through the shields and left Ron and Hermione unconscious or otherwise unable to move.

"Tell us Potter!" Demanded Snape his wand raised threateningly.

"No." he replied calmly, his wand pointed at Snape.

"I DEMAND that you tell us!" bellowed Snape.

"I said no." replied Harry.

Snape fired of a curse at Harry sending his wand flying through the air towards the shut doors.

"WHERE....WERE....YOU....POTTER!"

"He said no." replied Buffy sternly moving around the end of the table next to the now defenceless Harry.

Snape fired off another curse.

Buffy stepped in front of Harry to block the attack.

But the curse never made contact, it hovered in the air between the pairs, trying to force its way towards them yet it remained motionless.

A loud bang was heard against the door.

Then another.

The doors came flying open at the 3rd collision, revealing a very serious looking Guardian.

He calmly walked into the room and raised a hand.

The curse stopped trying to force its way through the air, forming a ball of coloured light.

He tilted his hand forward and the curse flew into the unsuspecting Snape, sending him flying across the room.

Dumbledore flinched.

"Do not even think it Albus." warned Adam before turning to Harry "Go."

He nodded; retrieving his wand he placed his hands inside his robe. Touching the portkey he vanished from the hall.

"I hope you realise what you have just done Adam." sighed Dumbledore.

"I have allowed Harry to go back to a place where he obviously feels safer than he does in your company....what does that tell you Albus?"

"Harry is young, he does not know where he is safest, he can be easily manipulated if he does not have the proper guidance, what would happen if Death Eaters caught him now, we would have no way of knowing whether he was safe or not."

"If Death Eaters caught him then surely your spy would know." countered Adam looking to Snape "I am very disappointed in you Albus, Minerva has told me what you had planned, didn't her idea sound more reasonable to you, didn't it make more sense, but now you have fallen to the level where you are actually attacking your own students....I am leaving....I shall return for the Opening Feast, I hope you learn from this encounter."

He turned and walked out of the hall levitating the other students, Buffy hot on his heals.

Albus sighed and looked at the ground.

This was one of the rare occasions when the headmaster actually looked his age.
________________________________________________________________________

Adam marched quickly out of the hall and out onto the lawn, the dazzling summer sun warming them as they walked.

"Don't think badly of Professor Dumbledore Buffy, from what I have been told he is one of the only few people speaking out against the Dark Lord who now threatens these lands, everyone else refused to believe that he was back until a couple of months ago and the press and Ministry butchered him for it, he is a good man under a lot of pressure....he has to keep Harry safe at all costs."

"Why, what's so special about him?" she asked having to walk quickly to keep pace with him.

"I am afraid that I do not have the time to tell you, ask Ron and Hermione they will be happy to fill you in."

He came to a halt and turned to face the hovering students, he lowered them to the ground with a hand movement before reviving them.

Ron mumbled incoherently before pushing himself up on his elbows, while Hermione who was merely put in a Body Bind got back to her feet.

"Why did you side with Harry over Dumbledore?" she asked.

"Harry! Is he ok?" shouted Ron, remembering what had happened.

"He's fine Ron he's gone, Adam covered his escape."

"Why?" asked Ron, getting to his feet.

"Because although I support Albus's aims, I did not approve of the method that he just used to try to achieve them, I also believe that Harry can decide for himself who is good and who is evil."

"So what are you going to do?" asked Hermione.

"I am going to leave for a while, I need the two of you to take care of Buffy for me, tell her about Voldemort and why Harry is an orphan and the basics about the Wizarding World, I shall return for the Opening Feast."

With that he turned, transformed into a falcon and flew away into the distance, leaving them standing on the lawn, staring after him.
Sign up to rate and review this story