Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Keepsake

Chapter I

by Giroro5X 0 reviews

Generations prior to Souzen's War, a teenage girl finds herself on her first assignment as the Avatar.

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Other - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-02-02 - Updated: 2007-02-03 - 479 words

0Unrated
Keepsake

Chapter I



"Excellent form, excellent," Goba nodded his head softly, his long dark beard failing to conceal a proud smile.

"Thank you, Sifu Goba" the teenager smiled, feeling the gentle slither of the wind against her palms as she bent it to her will. With steady stance and careful focus she continued mimicking the movements her instructor had demonstrated.

"Careful now, your stance is too firm. You've planted your feet firmly to the ground," he tapped a foot against her ankle as he passed her from behind.

"I thought a firm stance was important?"

"Yes, it is. But to master airbending, we must understand the element with both our mind and body. The air is constant, always surrounding us. If we disturb it," he lifted his open palm against the soft wind, allowing it to slip between his fingers. "It will adapt to us, and strengthen. To understand this physically, we must allow our energy to flow through our bodies without forcing it. In this, we will be like the wind, adapting to whatever may come, then growing stronger before releasing it back into nature."

"Adapting..." she listened carefully, her eyes focused upon her hands as she eased the tension in her legs, trying to feel the chakra within her.

"Your stance is firm, connecting you to the earth. As your talents in airbending grow, your body will learn to connect to this element as well," he nodded approvingly as he noticed her stance lightening.

She smiled, the statement revealing the truth of the "old habits are hard to break" maxim.

"Monk Goba!" A young airbender hurried toward the pair, eyes wide.

"Hmm? Rinzen? What is the matter?" the old monk turned his attention to the startled pupil curiously.

"Tashi's back!" the child pointed behind him urgently.

"Of course," Goba smirked, chuckling as he wondered what trouble Tashi could have gotten himself into this time. "Please help him to unpack; I will meet with him once I have finished here." The old monk nodded his head appreciatively to the young airbender.

"He says it's important! Monk Yeshe's with him!"

The instructor's eyes widened, his adventurous pupil's arrival taking a sudden gravity to it. Slowly he nodded his head, waving his hand to dismiss the child.

"Help Tashi to unpack, I'll be along shortly."

"Sifu Goba? Is something the matter?" she lowered her hands, standing upright as she looked toward him.

"Yes. An unexpected visit from an old friend," he smiled softly as he turned towards her. "I feel that is enough for this morning. Please use the day to reflect upon that which I have said."

Her eyebrows rose up, perplexed by the abrupt conclusion of their session. Understanding that argument on the matter would be disrespectful, she nodded. "Thank you, Sifu Goba."

"It is my honor and pleasure," he bowed his head respectfully towards her. "Avatar Kyoshi."
Sign up to rate and review this story