Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Keepsake

Chapter II

by Giroro5X 0 reviews

Generations prior to Souzen's War, a teenage girl finds herself on her first assignment as the Avatar.

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Other - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-02-02 - Updated: 2007-02-03 - 1257 words

0Unrated
Keepsake

Chapter II



Rinzen poured Yeshe's tea with careful consideration, the old man's constant scowl doing well to intimidate him.

"Hey Rinzen, fill mine up too," Tashi lifted his cup, shaking it slightly to convey the point as he smiled toward the young airbender. He was young, barely out of his teens. Where his elder wore a long robe, a simple orange mantle with brown trim adorned his shoulders. Durable greaves and bracers concealed his legs and forearms. Just under his mouth was a dark soul patch, his eyes wild with wanderlust.

"Disrespectful," Yeshe muttered.

"Oh, c'mon? Still?" his eyebrow rose up. "You said the entire trip here was disrespectful."

"It is more appropriate to allow your elders to mount your air bison first."

"Yeah, but Pema doesn't trust anyone to ride her unless I get on first. Lets her know it's okay."

"It is also more appropriate to bathe the creature at intervals."

"She hates baths, too." H shrugged, having built a tolerance to the stench a long time ago. Lifting the cup to his mouth, he took a long sip. He had missed the taste of the northern air temple's tea.

"I see that a long journey does little to calm a restless spirit," Goba smiled as he stepped into the room.

"Monk Goba," Yeshe nodded politely.

"Goba, you're here!" Tashi lifted his cup, grinning.

"Tashi. I am glad to see your safe return," he nodded slowly, a soft relief passing over him upon seeing the lad was unharmed.

The airbender opened his mouth to speak, Goba's statement seeming to rob him of any words he might muster. With a gentle smile he nodded silently. The monk had been more than a mentor to him, teaching him and guiding him when answers seemed to lie beyond any means of reach. In all his travels, Goba was the only one he had genuinely missed.

To understand that the old man worried over him at least slightly was a touching sentiment.

"Monk Yeshe, I am glad to see you once again. I trust you are well?" He sat politely across from the two, Rinzen pouring a cup of tea for him.

"I am," he nodded, his expression unchanging. "I apologize for arriving without notice, yet there is a matter that I must call to your attention."

Goba glanced towards Tashi.

"Hey, no way, I've got nothing to do with this one. I was just his ride," he lifted his hands defensively.

"Despite his foolishness, the young monk speaks the truth," Yeshe conceded.

He opened his mouth to protest the accusation, stopping as he noticed Goba quietly lift a hand to dismiss the matter.

"Please Yeshe, what troubles you?" he lifted the cup in his palm, his left hand motioning over it gently to cool the contents. He preferred his tea cold.

"An Earth Kingdom dispute," he touched his fingers to the mouth of his cup, lifting it to his opposite palm.

"Over?"

"Land."

"Such internal turmoil is typical of the Earth Kingdom," Goba looked curiously toward the elder, suspecting there to be more to the story.

"Yes, and we are fortunate that it has calmed in recent years. It is not the dispute itself that troubles me, it is the location," he took a long drink from the cup, frowning slightly at the quality of the tea before glancing toward Rinzen.

The child's eyes went wide, shivering slightly at the realization that he had somehow displeased the veteran monk.

"Oh?" Goba focused carefully on the matter, regarding it as crucial if it had drawn Yeshe's attention.

"An Earth Kingdom conqueror has been moving west, destroying anyone that stands to oppose him. His forces are small, yet there is a particular landmark in his path that concerns me; an old temple that is given constant tribute and veneration."

"You wish to avoid disturbing the spirits," he nodded in understanding.

"Do not take regard the matter lightly. This is a spirit of great importance," Yeshe's tone grew harsh, staring grimly toward his fellow monk.

Goba was silent, his eyes narrowing as he tried to determine the spirit's identity.

"...Si Shen," he set his cup down, staring hard at the floor.

Tashi shifted uneasily in his seat, a sudden gravity weighing upon him.

His old mentor's eyes went wide, the image of a parched earth filling his mind. Reaching towards the sky like thin fingers, a hundred graves stood tall. At the center was a beautifully carved shrine, the statue of the spirit resting serenely within.

"...The spirit of death." The words faltered as they escaped his lips, his voice shuddering.

"Based on the testimony of the conquered, I feel the raiders would have little qualms destroying the temple to display their might. We've no guarantee that such would enrage Si Shen, or that anything would come of it. But it is a notion I'd rather not test," Yeshe stared towards the tea, his reflection becoming more definite as the liquid settled.

"So we fly in, stop the raiders, have a laugh and head home," Tashi guessed, taking another sip in the hope that his levity would conquer the tension that had descended upon them.

"Fool. If it were so simple, I would have dealt with the matter myself," he scoffed. "The balance of the mortal and spirit world is not the business of the airbenders, but..."

"The Avatar," Goba finished his sentence, staring forward pensively.

"Yes," Yeshe nodded, grateful that the monk had understood the situation.

"Kyoshi has only mastered the elements of earth and fire. Though she displays a magnificent talent at it, she has much to learn before she has mastered airbending," his eyes lifted towards his colleague.

"I am not here to ask you her status, I am here to call upon the Avatar to do her job," he narrowed his eyes.

"And I am insisting humbly that she may not be fully prepared to do that job," Goba maintained his calm as he answered.

"It is not a matter of whether she is ready or not; there is a task that must be fulfilled regardless." Growing animosity filled his words.

Tashi narrowed his eyes, disliking Yeshe's tone.

"Then I will entrust it to Tashi, he..."

"No!" the elder monk snapped. "You will not leave such a matter in the hands of an imbecile out of concern for this girl's safety! The Avatar has survived countless generations, dealing with matters far more dangerous than this!"

The youngest monk glared, unable to ignore the blatant insult. Respect for his old mentor stilled his tongue, his grip on his glider tightening.

Goba closed his eyes, unable to deny the truth in the outburst.

"...Tashi. Will you go..." he started.

"I told you," Yeshe growled.

"As Kyoshi's escort?" he cut off the elder monk, his tone rising.

"...Yes," Tashi bowed his head respectfully, understanding the matter to be important.

"Hmph," Yeshe scowled, lifting his tea to his lips once again. His faith in the Avatar outweighed his suspicion that the idiot airbender would handle the matter improperly.

"My thanks." The corners of the old man's beard lifted as he smiled, nodding his head gratefully.

"It is my honor, Sifu Goba. I will do my best to aid the Avatar," the monk bowed once more, rising to his feet. Silently he left the room, the glider resting on his shoulder.

"Hmm. Let us hope he does nothing to corrupt the young Avatar," Yeshe grumbled.

The old monk smiled, watching as his student walked away. A tender pride coursed through him.
Sign up to rate and review this story