Categories > Books > Peter Pan > Images of Broken Souls

Fractured

by LightSpinner 0 reviews

A story that questions the meaning of Lost Boys, Peter, and all else on Neverland as Nicole, the latest 'Wendy', returns to the island she wished to forget. A place that causes those who touch it t...

Category: Peter Pan - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama - Characters: John, Lost Boys, Peter, Tiger Lily, Tinker Bell - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2005-08-30 - Updated: 2005-08-31 - 1051 words

1Original
Images of Broken Souls
Chapter Two: Fractured

2/18
--------------------
You don't remember me, but I remember you
I lie awake and try so hard not to think of you
- Taking Over Me, Evanescence -


The next morning when Nicole woke up she wanted to stay safely ensconced in her bed. Mandy may have been her best friend, but that did not mean Nicole wanted to go shopping. In particularly considering the main reason was for a school dance.

The junior high school they both attended had a very strange concept, and that was to schedule a dance a week after the students returned from spring break. Nicole didn't mind spending hours on end with her classmates. She may have been introverted, but that didn't make her antisocial.

What she minded was the fact that she knew a few guys who might ask her, and that Mandy would pester her into oblivion if she went alone. Even more so if she didn't go at all. But Nicole couldn't help it. She didn't want to date. Spring may be the love bug season to many, but to her it was love bug repellent.

However she had to go shopping with Mandy. There was no chance of escape. At least Mandy's aunt, Bell, would be there. She could just talk to her when things started getting crazy. It was only a matter of time, after all. And that afternoon Nicole was proven right as her best friend dragged her throughout the entirety of more than one of Detroit's malls.

Mandy was a somewhat bubbly girl with dark blonde hair. She had practiced gymnastics to a degree and was one of the most popular girls at school. It might cause one to wonder why two girls, one studious and the other a social butterfly, would be best friends. But once you realize they'd been friends from the first week of kindergarten it wasn't surprising they could handle having very different personalities.

Another thing to know about Mandy was that, since the movie had come out the previous summer, she was nearly fanatical about Pirates of the Caribbean. She didn't understand why her interest in pirates bothered Nicole, but she did know why it seemed to trouble her aunt.

As they reached a dress shop Nicole rolled her eyes before being dragged in by Mandy. Bell followed, a few paces behind, shaking her head. Finding a dress she liked, the brunette went to try it on. When she came out she saw Mandy looking at how a bright red dress fit.

"It looks cute," commented Nicole.

Turning to face her friend. "So do you. I don't think you can have your hair down with it though. We find a style to put your hair up in and you'll be a dream."

"The dress is very fairy-like," Bell added, causing Nicole to laugh and Mandy to scoff. Bell was a descendant of Wendy Darling. Only having had sons she had constantly told the two girls the story of Peter Pan when they were children. However, only being related to Bell through her uncle's marriage, Mandy grew up to believe that her aunt was crazy.

"Please, Aunt Bell. There's no such th-" Immediately Nicole's hand clapped over the blonde's mouth.

"Don't say that," Nicole said sternly. Seeing the other girl's confusion her eyes softened. "For me." Mandy responded by rolling her eyes and nodding as Nicole removed her hand.

"Whatever, do you think Jackson'll like it?"

"Yes, and he likes you enough to ask you so he will see it on his date to the dance."

Mandy grinned. "Hopefully. Rick, by the way, has been about dying to get a chance to ask you."

Rick was a life long friend, and someone Nicole had always gotten along with, but, as before, she just wasn't interested in anyone. This is ridiculous! He was ten the first time I saw him, and the last time I saw him, too. There's a 99.9% chance he's still ten, and why am I thinking about him. Oh, Peter. This is your fault. And great I'm still thinking about him. Mentally rolling her eyes at herself, Nicole replied, "You know I don't date."

"But why is that, hmm?"

"Because I don't feel like it." Later, when the two young girls were at the Rictor house, the argument came back up. Leading Mandy to her parents' bedroom, Nicole made a request of Mr. Rictor, "Dad, will you tell her I'm too young to date."

As he struggled to tie his tie, "Am I suppose to tell her 'I'm too young to date' or 'you're too young to date?'"

"Tell her Nicole Rictor is too young to date."

"All right," he said, still struggling. "Mandy, Nicole Rictor is too young to date."

At that moment Mrs. Rictor entered the room, shaking her head, "I'm not going to ask." Seeing her husband's problems with his tie she walked over and deftly tied it, in two seconds flat.

Leaving for Nicole's room the two girls were intercepted by Ian, asking if Nicole would read him a story before he went to bed. Since their parents were leaving in five to ten minutes, and neither would be able to, she agreed, and all three continued in separate directions. Mandy went downstairs to get caffeinated drinks for Nicole and herself. Ian went to his parents' room to say goodnight. And Nicole went to her own room to grab a book. Their father, Lee Rictor, could make up a story off the top of his head, but Nicole had no such talent. While she could bring a story to life, it was harder for her to make one up.

A talent of her mother's that she lacked was the sense of when something big was going to happen. Because if she'd had it she would have paused before opening the door to her room, if she opened it at all. She might have just asked her mother if she could borrow one of her old Tolkein novels. But Mrs. Janet Rictor had sensed something would happen involving her children tonight since that afternoon, and Nicole didn't hesitate to open her door.

As Nicole started to enter her room, she froze. Two things that should not have been in her room were. Or rather, two people.
--------------------
Sign up to rate and review this story