Categories > Games > Kingdom Hearts > Perfect Sonnet

Chapter 5 The Only Way it Can Be

by previously_recorded 0 reviews

What really happened that caused Riku to fall so far into darkness? How long did Ansem really have control of Riku, and in the end will Sora be able to save him? Takes place during the game. Rikux ...

Category: Kingdom Hearts - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama - Characters: Riku, Sephiroth, Sora - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2005-09-02 - Updated: 2005-09-03 - 4115 words

0Unrated
Perfect Sonnet

But as for me I'm coming to the final chapter.

I read all of the pages and there's still no answer.

All those words I know will soon come after

It's the only way it can be...

Riku's eyes snapped open. What had just happened? The pale haired boy racked his brain for an answer as to why he was in the secret spot of the island, just waking up after what seemed a long and relaxing nap. Why couldn't he remember? It seemed that he would come close to remembering, but than his head would sting and the thought would once again dissipate from his mind. The last thing that had definite clarity in his mind was something that couldn't possibly be real. No he had to just be a dream, a very very nice dream. Though he knew it couldn't possibly be real, he could still taste the essence that is Sora on his lips, though for the life of him he couldn't remember a single thing afterwards.

"I thought I might find you here." Aqua eyes traveled to the source of the intrusion. A voice he really didn't want to deal with right now. Not that of course he ever really wanted to deal with that particular voice, but this time his annoyance was up ten fold. Using both arms he pushed himself to his feet and dusted the accumulated dirt that had gathered on his clothing.

"Hullo Kairi, and tell me what have I done to deserve being graced with your presence?" Riku took a good look at the girl who Sora seemed to be infatuated with. She had chosen to wear a navy blue bikini top today that tied at the back and at her neck showing off her cleavage. To top her outfit the girl had worn a jean skirt that came up to her thighs and than had two slits. Seriously could you dress like a bigger whore?

"Aren't we mister crabby pants this morning." Kairi stuck her tongue out in an attempt to be cute. Riku found it pathetic really. "Well anyways I don't mind I actually came to get you because we're all going swimming and I was told to invite you to come along." Uh! Could the girl be any more annoying.

Riku figured he had two choices on the matter at hand. He could go swimming and have to spend the whole time acting happy go lucky like he didn't have a care in the world, or he could refuse and get annoyed half to death by the slutty little brunette currently in front of him.

"Why not..." Kairi's smile widened and she clapped her hands together doing a victory jump. Riku turned his head and rolled his eyes making sure the girl didn't see. This was going to be a long day he could already tell. At least going swimming would give him a chance to sort through the jumbled images that was currently his head.

Riku's eyes widened ever so slightly when he got out onto the beach. Kairi wasn't lying when she had mentioned that everyone was going swimming. Selphie was on an intertube drifting out onto the calm waters in a yellow bikini, tanning with Wakka, who was doing his best to piss her off with small splashes of water her way. Tidus and Sora were also in the water taking turns doing handstands in the water and seeing how far each of them could walk before they fell over or had to come back up for air. If Riku remembered correctly he currently had the record in that event, as he did in most of the events on the island.

Something suddenly occurred to Riku. What the hell was he supposed to go swimming in? Everyone else was in either a suit or trunks, and he wasn't about to go all the way to Sora's house just to go swimming. Well it looked like he was resigned to his fate. Without a second thought the pale haired boy started unbuttoning his pants and stripping himself of his shirt. With one more breath he stepped out oh his baggy pants and walked towards the water. Now he was garbed in only his green silk boxers, it was a good thing modesty was never his thing, or he might be embarrassed.

As whistles and cat calls from the two girls filled his ears, Riku tried as hard as he could not to let his head inflate to an unbearable level. With a quick intake of breath Riku dived into the water. Wow it really was good time to go swimming. The water was warm and friendly to the skin, just diving in it seemed to relax him of all his previous worries.

Of course all of those worries came cascading back when he saw the exasperated look that was on Sora's face. Riku smiled a little and raised an eyebrow in speculation, really what had he done to be looked at in such a manner. "How did you heal yourself?" Okay now he was confused. Healed? What was he talking about. In question he looked himself over and found that everything seemed to be in order, no broken bones, no scratches, and no bruises. So what was it that he had to heal anyways?

"Hmmm?" Really it was the only thing he could think to say at the time. His memory was still a little fuzzy, but he couldn't think of any reason why Sora would be looking at him the way he was now. It was a look of pure hate, and Riku found himself squirming under the gaze. Whatever Sora was mad about it seemed increasingly clear that the kiss that had seemed so real must have only be a dream after all.

"You know what I'm talking about Riku! Where did the marks go!" Riku felt a jolt of electricity go up his spine when Sora layed a wet hand on his bare chest. He was dimly aware that by this time they were getting quite a few stares. Sora's hand had traveled up his chest and was now rather forcefully jerking his head from side to side in an attempt to study his neck.

"Umm Sora what's up man?" Both Riku and Sora jerked their heads to look at Tidus, who was staring at both of them a little strangely. Given, he did have a reason. Riku was mildly sure he was staring at Sora the exact same way. Never mind that...back to business.

"You know Tidus I would like to know the same thing...what is up with you?" Whatever the answer he expected, the one he got was not on the top ten list, it wasn't even on the top hundred. Sora glared as hard as he could forward, and then without warning hauled back and punched him.

Riku flew back into the water stunned. "Damn that fucking hurt! What the hell?" He turned around to confront the brunette about his sucker punch, and all he could see was his retreating figure as he ran towards the shack on the beach. Sora having evaded him, Riku turned next to Tidus, who looked about as confused as he did.

The rest of the group seemed to be just as oblivious as to Sora's motives. Wakka and Selphie were whispering towards themselves, and Kairi looked horrified at what just happened. That meant he was on his own. Rubbing his sore jaw, Riku stomped out of the water and towards where Sora had run off to. There were too many things happening to him that he could not explain, and he wanted some answers, and he would start with getting Sora to tell him what the hell he had punched him for.

Sodden wet from head to toe and more than a little annoyed by the sand that was caked onto the bottom of his feet, Riku opened the door to the shed. Sora was crouched in one of the corners with his head in his hands, seriously what was wrong with him. "Okay now that I'm a good distance away from your arm span." Riku stopped to give a small laugh to his joke, but seeing as how Sora looked in no mood to laugh, he continued. "Now tell me what is your problem?"

Sora looked up and let his head fall back and hit against the wall of the shed. "How can you even ask me that?" Riku's heart jolted a little. Sora sounded so depressed, so broken. What was wrong with him? "How can you stand in front of me and act like you don't know what you did?"

Riku walked the remaining distance between them and kneeled down in front of the boy. "Sora look at me." Sora looked as if he was going to comply, but then simply just changed the direction of where his head was, laying it to the side. Riku was actually quite worried by now. He had never seen Sora like this, never, and apparently he was the cause of it. Riku slowly reached out a hand and turned Sora's face towards him. "Sora please...what did I do to you?"

Flashes swept through Riku's mind like a hurricane. Flashes of events he knew nothing of. He saw himself in front of Sora saying the worst things, then a man with white hair. Riku shut his eyes in pain. As soon the images appeared, they disappeared again and left him again wondering. What the hell was happening to him?

Sapphire eyes filled with way tpo much pain to be his Sora's looked up at him. "You know what the worst part is Riku?" Riku stared at Sora's detached attitude with more and more worry. "I actually thought you really wanted to be with me." At that Riku started to panic.

"Sora what are you talking about?" Riku was beyond worried at this point, and without really meaning to his hand tightened on Sora's face. The brunette smacked his hand away, and his before indifferent eyes blazed with furry and turned a deep navy.

"Stop it Riku! Just fucking stop it!" A few tears fell from Sora's eyes where his emotions finally began to spill over. Sora turned away, but Riku gripped his face and pulled it right back towards him.

"No Sora I don't!" Riku was a little hysterical by this time. "I don't know what I did to you...I don't!" Sora looked up, and for a second Riku thought he was going to get punched again. "I can't remember how I got to the island this morning! I don't know what I did last night! I'm seeing things I can't explain...I...I.."

Riku didn't get to continue because a blinding hot pain shot through his head and left him screaming in pain. It felt like his brain was being stabbed by a molten hot poker. Riku backed up against the wall and started rocking back and forth while gripping his head, willing the pain to go away. His entire vision was blurred and all he could see was a blinding light. He felt a hand on his shoulder and a voice that seemed familiar but far away. In the back of his mind he knew that it was Sora, but the hand on him only made his head hurt worst. "Don't. Touch. Me." Riku growled out before stumbling to his feet and rushing out of the shack. He needed some fresh air, and he needed it now.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Sora watched with wide eyes as Riku stumbled out of the shack in obvious pain. Despite how hurt he still was over Riku's uncaring and assholish attitude, he still couldn't help but worry about the silver haired boy. Okay so all of his feeling were pretty much a jumbled mess at the moment, but he knew that he had real feelings for Riku.

The kiss which had started everything was still fresh in his memory, as were the kisses they had shared the night before, along with the harsh words from what he thought was his best friend. The thing is never in a million years did he think those words could come out of Riku's mouth. He had always been the cold but nice one. He never said anything cruel when he didn't have to be, and considering what had just happened between them, that was definitely not one of those times.

The brunette was still a little confused as to why he had pounced on the boy he considered to be just a friend no more than two days ago. It was just that when Riku kissed him at first he was confused, but then it all made sense. He had always hero worshiped the older boy, but what if the worship was really hidden feelings? It really wasn't too inconceivable if you thought about it, which Sora had. He had spent hours upon hours thinking about it.

Something was definitely wrong with Riku. After hours of contemplation Sora had come up with that fact. That wasn't the first time that Riku had grabbed his head in pain, and Sora was sure it probably wouldn't be the last time. The pale haired boy had been acting way too strangely lately, and Sora was bound and determined to get the bottom of it. That is after he went home for dinner, his mom would kill him if he was late again. Plus he still had to explain to her why Riku probably wouldn't be stopping by. Well he had to lie to her about why Riku wasn't coming by. Oh boy this would just be such fun! Note the sarcasm...

?????????????

Everything was blurry and unfocused. Riku willed his eyes to stay open when they felt like they would rather close and never open again. The sky seemed dark and yet he couldn't remembering it turning to night. He had just had a headache so he had gone to his island to make it stop. Had he fallen asleep? Was he sleeping more and more lately?

"In a few hours my dear Riku all of our dreams will come true." Riku snapped up at that voice. It seemed so familiar and yet he couldn't place exactly where he had heard it. He examined his surroundings and got a chill up his spine when he saw that he was in total darkness. Well that would be total darkness except the man that seemed to be radiating light standing a few feet away.

"Who are you?" Riku backed away from the menacing figure until his back hit a wall that had previously not even been there at all. The man's billowing white hair shook a little when he laughed at Riku's current state.

"Oh you don't remember...how sad." The pale haired boy furrowed his brow at that. "But then again it was meant to be that way. What can I say Ko you're just too much of a liability when you know too much." Riku just shook his head and willed the memories that had been on the tip of his brain all day to go away. They weren't real memories, just fuzzy notions of memories that he couldn't quite recall.

"Where the hell am I? And for that matter you never answered my last question...who the fuck are you?" For a second his memories cleared and he saw himself laying on lake with the man in front of him lying on top of him. Riku shook his head to exsponge such memories.

"It doesn't matter Ko." Riku narrowed his eyes. He was this confused and that bastard had the audacity to sound annoyed at the very premise of explaining what the hell was happening to him. "What matters is that I tell you what you're going to do next...you won't remember any of it later of course, but you'll have an instinct to do it without really knowing why."

Okay now Riku was beyond scared at this point, now he was just pissed. "Oh why of course, and hey while we're at it I also have a healthy set of lungs that you can have...kept clean and they will let you breathe." Riku crossed his arms over his chest before scoffing at the stranger. "Do me a favor..."

Riku gasped as his chin was grabbed. How had he done that? He was just there, and now he was here...no one could move that fast. "I will do you a favor Riku...a huge one." Riku gasped as he could feel the pale haired man's lips on his ear. "I'll make all your dreams come true." Riku tried to pull his face away, but it was immediately yanked back. "Now Riku this is what you're going to do for me..."

??????????????

Sapphire eyes snapped open. He had just had the weirdest dream. Sora shook his head as he tried to recall the images that had been playing in his mind only moments before. He dreamt of a man in a cape with a deep husky voice. The man told him that he would be the one to open the door. The brunette bit his bottom lip. The worst part was the second part of his dream he saw all of his friends covered in blood, and he saw Riku standing atop of them all, at the door in secret place with a key in his hand. He was holding it out to him, willing him to take it, to join him.

Lightening streaked across the sky and struck a nearby tree, making Sora jump at least ten feet in his bed. Had it gotten dark already? He looked outside and worry suddenly filled his chest. The raft! It would surely be washed away. Kairi never did a good job of tying it down, and he didn't even want to think of the possibility of all of their hard work floating off to sea somewhere.

Sora made a grab for his jacket and shoes, and climbed out of his window. This was the only thing he could do. As soon as he got outside he immediately regretted it. The water was freezing and pelted him with huge raindrops, drenching him from head to toe. A foreboding feeling entered his mind, it rarely ever rained in Destiny Islands, and when it did never this bad.

The brunette made his way to his boat, and was bowled over by a wave. He ignored it and went on rowing. The water whipped at his boat and at his skin, leaving it stinging from both the cold and the salt. He was almost there, if he could only stay on target a little longer he would be at the island. Then he could just spend the night in the shack until it was okay to return in the morning.

Sora let out a sigh of relief when he reached the bank still in one piece, and clamored out of the wooden boat as fast as possible. He was by this point freezing and as he looked down he saw that his skin was tinted slightly blue. With shaking hands he pulled the rope around the deck to tie his boat, and noticed with some shock that both Riku's and Kairi's boats were still there.

Shaking it off, he rushed over to the place where their raft was stored, but stopped when he heard voices coming from the cave. Images from his dream threatened to flow back, but he shook his head of them and rushed into the secret place. Bending down he pushed his way through the brush and crawled into the area. When he got there his heart stopped for a while. "Kairi?" It looked like Kairi, and in every aspect probably was the girl, but something didn't seem right.

Sora's eyes widened to saucers when the door behind her flew open and darkness begin to fly out. He watched in horror as Kairi reached out to him whispering his name before she was flung forward. A tingling sensation flew through him before it was gone, as was he. The air had pushed him completely out of the cave.

His body was thrown out onto the sand, and he pushed himself up to get a look at where Kairi had gone. What he saw made his eyes widen in terror. A creature was standing in front of him. A creature that looked to be made of an inky black substance, and had terrifying glowing yellow orbs for eyes.

Sora felt his heart begin to race, and placed a hand to his chest to try to calm it. The strangest sensation begin to feel him. It was almost like his bones were humming from inside his skin, and suddenly he was no longer afraid. A weight appeared in his hand and the brunette looked down to see what looked to be the mixture between a sword and a key resting there.

It was like his body was running on autopilot. Without really telling it to, his body sprung into action and slashed down at the creature in front of him. A piercing shriek could be heard coming from the creature, and then it exploded from the impact. The brunette's eyes rolled to the back of his head as he could feel strength begin to flow through his body. Had he gotten stronger? Had this creature's death made him stronger?

He didn't get time to contemplate this new occurance, because a sight caught his eye. With a gasp Sora turned to Riku's island to see a globe of what appeared to be glowing darkness floating above it. The worst part was the silver haired beauty that seemed to be standing underneath it in welcome. Without hesitation Sora began running towards the island, and with every fiber of his being hoped that he wasn't too late to save his friend.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Riku stood in the midst of all the chaos with a smile on his face. He had always wanted this. To leave this boring life and do something with purpose, and somehow he knew this would bring him there. He knew that this darkness that seemed to be tearing the island apart would somehow not hurt him. On the contrary it would bring him to somewhere even better.

He could feel the power flow through his veins, and knew without a doubt that he could control this strange darkness. He knew that he could bend it to his will, and took a slight comfort in that. He saw the creatures that were now devouring the island and the people's hearts that inhabited it. For some odd reason he could hear their cruel cold voices in his head, he could hear them and their plans and for some reason it didn't frighten him.

"Riku!" Riku jerked his head to where the voice had come from. Though he didn't need to look to know whose voice that was. He had heard that voice everyday for the last 12 years, ever since they had become friends. He had dreamt of that voice everynight for the last three years. He would know that voice anywhere, even in his now somewhat demented state.

"Sora. So glad you could make it." Riku waved a hand around. Pointing to all of the destruction and chaos going on around them. "It's finally happened Sora. We can leave this place." Riku waved a hand over the ground and a pool of swirling darkness opened up from beneath him. He could feel the tentacles begin to pull at his feet dragging him down. Aqua eyes turned to brilliant blue. "Together Sora you and I." Riku reached out and arm to his love, praying with all his will that he would take it.

Sora looked hesitant, in fact he looked terrified. "Riku?" The pale haired boy didn't respond, he only smirked at the boy who looked completely horrified at the notion at what was happening. That was the strange thing, Riku himself didn't feel any fear over the inevitable. Sora stared at the outstretched hand, and Riku stumbled a little as the darkness began to pull him under. He could feel it devour him up to his knees, but he still held his hand out in hope.

The darkness began to totally consume him until he was practically all the way under, and as one of his last sights he saw Sora dive forwards and grab for his hand. Riku stretched forward and their fingertips graced each other before the darkness swallowed him whole. Now he was all alone, without Sora, without anyone.

,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.
Sign up to rate and review this story