Categories > Games > Kingdom Hearts > Perfect Sonnet

Chapter 10 Burn in Your Arrogance

by previously_recorded 0 reviews

What really happened that caused Riku to fall so far into darkness? How long did Ansem really have control of Riku, and in the end will Sora be able to save him? Takes place during the game. Rikux ...

Category: Kingdom Hearts - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama - Characters: Riku, Sephiroth, Sora - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2005-09-02 - Updated: 2005-09-03 - 5377 words

0Unrated
Perfect Sonnet

Chapter 10 Burn in Your Arrogance

We're singing I believe that lovers should be chained together
And thrown into a fire with their songs and letters
And left there to burn
Left there to burn in their arrogance



What pretty much looked like a black puddle of goo materialized in his palm, before flipping out and burning his hand. With a gasp, Riku quickly shook the substance off his hand, glaring full heartily at the now non existent blob. "That was terrible." His teeth clenched at the voice of his teacher. "Now do it again, and try not to be so incompetent this time."

How the hell could one man be such a bastard? He turned towards his teacher, giving him the dirtiest look he could muster while still being sure to cradle his injured hand. "Sephiroth we've been at this all day!" It was true that had been at this all day. First they had started with portals, and after many unsuccessful tries he could now make a miniature portal that led to as far as the castle gates, and don't think he hadn't been greatly chastised for that. Apparently you're supposed to be as perfect as certain other people, and you're just supposed to be able to do everything on your first try. "My hand feels like it's going to rot off...I'm lucky I can even move it, let alone make anything."

This didn't seem to appeze his lover in the least, in fact in simply just got him to annoyingly tap his foot. "Well that's good for you since I don't want anything...I want something, and you will learn how to do it before you leave today." Really, he though his math teacher back at Destiny Islands was a hard ass, but this was just something else.

Riku slumped lazily against the lion statue in the hallway they were currently training in. "But Sephiroth I don't wanna..." He didn't even try to keep the whine out of his voice. He was much too exhausted by this point for such pleasantries. It wasn't enough that he had sorta been able to make a portal, no he just had to go ahead and push him into making dark energy shots to defend himself with.

His head was in his knees, but he could still hear the clicking off boots slowly making their way over to him. He soon didn't even need to rely on his hearing, because those boots had leaned down in front of him, tipping his face up to look him in the eyes. "What was my one stipulation when I agreed to train you this morning?"

Oh he just had to bring up that card didn't he? Riku met Sephiroth's eyes, feeling the need to yawn as he did so. "That if I started I couldn't stop until you were satisfied." Now he really wanted to defend himself on the account that he had only wanted to learn the portal, really he did, but he was just too tired. They had been at this since 4:30 in the morning, and it was now almost midnight. Too exhausted to think about what he was doing, Riku slumped forward, burying his head in Sephiroth's chest.

Sephiroth stiffened when he began his little snuggling escapade, but he soon loosened up, slowly wrapping an arm around his charge. "I know that you're tired, but we are not going to stop until you shoot an energy blast."

The sad part was when he said that Riku was already nearly asleep. Now as bad as this sucked, he knew there was absolutely no way he was going to be able to get out of it. So with a nod into his lover's chest, he once again pushed himself to his feet. He saw that Sephiroth had done the same, and that the man seemed oddly satisfied with his perseverance. "Good...now again, and remember what I told you about focusing on all of your darkest memories...let them all bubble to the surface."

Seriously though this little exercise couldn't be all that good for you. It made you recall your darkest past every time you used...how is that in any way good? Though the fact that you were using darkness to do it with kinda put a damper on the whole caring about if it was good or not thing.

He placed his hand palm up in front of him, trying his best to summon something out of his burning appendage. After a few moments of nothing but that dull aching pain he paused in his movements. Riku looked up towards Sephiroth, who looked remarkably pissed at his stop. "Sephiroth I think I might actually be able to make it if I knew what it was..." At seeing his lover's sneering face he though he best to continue before he got yelled at again. "I mean at least I knew what the portal looked like...I don't even know what this is."

Riku was almost positive that after his stupid explanation that he was going to get yelled at, but to his surprise Sephiroth looked oddly intrigued. "You actually make a good point, but I suggest we take it one step further." Glowing green eyes seemed alight with maliciousness. "How would you like to know what being hit by one feels like?"

What exactly did he mean by that? Did he mean that he wanted to actually shoot him with an energy blast!? Damn, and he thought his teacher was mean when she hit him with a ruler. This was of course the point in time when he got some very naughty pictures in his head of Sephiroth doing just that, and had to actually shake his head to dispel them.

"You're just looking for an excuse to hurt me, aren't you?" It had been meant to be a joke, and he really expected Sephiroth to deny it, but the man simply smirked.

"Maybe." The sad part was that his voice didn't sound like he was kidding one bit. "But that's beside the point. Do you want to or don't you?" You know what he just had the feeling that this was going to hurt...a lot.

Riku nodded his head, already resigning himself to his fate. "I guess I'm game." That same smirk came back to Sephiroth's face.

"Good..." You know he didn't have to seem so happy about it. "now brace yourself." Riku did as he was told, digging his feet into the floor and crossing his arms in front of him, already prepared for an impact.

He watched in amazement as Sephiroth held out his hand, summoning a ball of crackling purply blackness into his hand. Though he didn't have to watch long, because that before mentioned purply object flew straight at him, hitting him square in the chest.

It was like no pain he had every felt before. As soon as the darkness touched him it sent him propelling backwards, knocking him against the side of the fountain in the entryway. His entire body was convulsing in pain, and as it convulsed memories that he was sure couldn't be his popped into his head. He heard someone screaming, and it was only after a moment that he realized it was himself. It was when he was like that, screaming and convulsing in pain on the floor, that his mind went suddenly blank as his body lost consciousness.

????????????

There was a thick gray haze everywhere. It seemed almost like the normal darkness that he found his dreams resonating in, but this some light seeped through. The easiest way to describe it really was that he felt as if he was living in a channel of the TV that didn't work too well and was full of static. The fuzziness in his ears only confirmed that earlier thought, and he really began to wonder what the hell was going on.

"I see you're making progress, but then I'm really not all that surprised." That voice...it seemed oddly familiar. The rich silky darkness that seeped through it was something he had known before...someone oddly that wasn't coming to mind. "You always did have the ability to get whatever, or whoever for that matter, that you wanted." Even though he couldn't picture the face, it was like he could hear the voice take on a more sinister tone. "Even if they were little blond runts that you should have never bothered wasting your time with in the first place."

"I'd hold your tongue if I were you...unless of course you would like me to cut it out." Now that voice he did recognize. But really how could he not? That voice, or rather something that came along with that voice, was becoming more and more addictive to him. Sephiroth was in short...amazing.

That was when something really weird happened, well weirder than what was already going on that is. His gaze seemed to move of their own accord until that reached his silver haired lover. "Big talk there little cousin, but somehow I think that's an empty threat." A hand came up in front of his eyes for examination, and it was only after a moment that he realized the hand was his own. "After all I have a feeling that you're more fond of my little pet then you're making out...and how good would the brat be without his tongue?" The familiar stranger paused, obviously waiting for the dramatic effect to sink in. "From personal experience I know how utterly talented he is with that part of his anatomy."

The glare Sephiroth gave at that was definitely a look that could kill, and it was only after staring straight into his glowing eyes that he realized that look was aimed directly at him. In fact those words felt as if they had come out of his own mouth. "There's a special circle in hell reserved for people like you Ansem." Ansem? Who the fuck was Ansem? He could feel a smirk grace his lips that he certainly had never put there.

"Yes, well I'll be sure to invite you to nice dinner parties down there then. Because there's no debate that if I'm headed down south that you'll be joining me." The sad part was is that Sephiroth didn't seem shocked at all by that statement, but then why would he be? He is Sephiroth after all.

The man in question simply shrugged. "Who knows, or cares for that matter." He paused for a second, his eyes going from the comforter he was currently sitting on (which looked remarkably like the one on the bed Riku currently owned) and then they snapped back up to his. "But I do care about one thing right now...or rather I'm curious about it."

"Oh? And what pray tell could that be?" Riku, or rather Ansem, motioned for Sephiroth to keep talking. "I always remember you being my most curious student." His lover got a look on his face that Riku immediately recognized as the 'leave me alone or I will hurt you' look.

"When you do take over, what happens to his part of the soul?" What? He really was beginning to wonder who the hell these two kept talking about, but as he had no control over his supposed body, he kept his mouth shut.

He felt Ansem's eyebrow raise. "It'll be dissolved I think...maybe turned into a heartless. Why exactly do you ask?" A smirk tugged at the corner of his lips. "Don't tell me you're actually starting to care."

At this point Sephiroth was suspiciously avoiding his eyes. "Of course not." This time they actually locked gazes. "He's of no concern to me past the point of your little task."

"Well that's good to hear...I would hate to have you get to attached, and then me rip him out from between your fingertips." His lover was again avoiding the gaze.

"That's one thing you don't have to worry about. I never get attached."
?????????????

Riku's eyes slowly cracked open, but he really was pretty sure that was the only thing that was going to happen. His entire body felt like lead, and his head felt like it was going to split in half. He blinked his vision back, and it was filled with a rather peculiar sight.

There was a man laying next to him. A man that looked strangely familiar, and yet he was sure he hadn't seen him. He did look awfully like Sephiroth though, all except that this stranger had cotton white hair and much tanner skin, but still their was similarities between the two that couldn't be mistaken for mere coincidence.

The weird thing was how he looked so peaceful sleeping next to him. His eyes were closed, fluttering gently as they scanned his dreams. Why was he sleeping next to him though?...in his bed...in his and Sephiroth's bed. Wow, that just sounded foreign to the tongue. His and Sephiroth's bed...it was just too strange to think too much on.

As he continued to stare at the person sitting next to him, the more and more his stomach began to tighten up in knots. He did know man, he knew him and...he hated him. He hated this man! This man's name was...it was...Ansem.

His skin began to crawl at the very name. He didn't know why, but he knew just the thought of the person repulsed him. On instinct he shot back in the bed, holding his hand out in defense, and that was when it happened. All the hatred he had just been pooling for the man bubbled to the surface, and it bubbled in the form of a black orb. Said black orb quickly shot forward, completely burning the right side of the man's face in sickening black burn.

As a scream erupted throughout the room, Riku really had to do a double take. He quickly rubbed his eyes, wishing to the gods that he had been mistaken, and that it really was Ansem that he had just accidentally shot. But the more and more he looked he saw how that once white hair appeared more silver, and that tanned face was actually quite pale. He also noticed how glowing green eyes that could belong to no besides his lover, and how they were currently giving him a death glare. "...Oh shit."

Sephiroth was grasping at his face, obviously trying to decide if he should kill the person sitting in front of him. "What the hell is wrong with you Riku!?" The silver haired boy grimaced as he saw the oozing blisters braking out on Sephiroth's once perfect cheekbones. "I know you're pissed about me shooting you, and I've heard of rude awakenings, but this is just ridiculous."

Riku's eyebrows knitted together in worry. How the hell was he going to explain this one. Deciding on just complete on utter ass kissing, he rushed over, throwing his arms around his lover. "Oh gods Seph I'm so so sorry...I thought...you looked like someone else." Do to the prospect of his might be murder, and just his complete and utter guilty conscience, Riku felt warm tears escape his eyes, falling unnoticed down Sephiroth's bare chest.

Sephiroth stiffened considerably, quickly pulling the sobbing teenager at arms length away from him. Not wanting to look so weak, Riku held back his sobs, doing his best to stop the flow of tears. "Who could you possibly think I was...I mean it's not as if many people have our kind of features."

He pulled completely out of Sephiroth's grip, going over to sit on the bed. Now that he thought about it he didn't even know why he had gotten so upset. "See that's the thing, I have no idea. I don't know who he is, and because I don't know who he is I don't know how I could possibly know his name, but I still know it, you know?" Sephiroth was staring at him strangely, and he was pretty sure it had something to do with the fact that he had just said 'know' about 20 times in that last sentence.

"Whose name?" The man's voice was gruff, and he seemed generally interested in Riku's craziness. Well if he wanted to know, who was he to stop that?

Riku put a hand up to his temple, massaging his hurt cranium. "Umm some weird name." He rubbed harder. "It like started with an A...Ansem I think."

"And you have no idea where you might have remembered this name from?" You know what the better question might be why the hell he looked so interested in this.

He gave Sephiroth a spectacle look, not at all liking where this conversation was going. "No, not really...Why?" His lover opened his mouth, probably to say some asinine, but then he settled on his second favorite kind of talk...something really nasty.

"You know you're awfully cheeky about my reasonings when you're the one that pretty much just blew my face off while I was asleep." Well okay so it was true, but did he really need to rub it in so bad? It's not like he already didn't feel completely awful about doing it in the first place.

"I said I was sorry for that!" A scoff was the only reply he got. Sephiroth walked over to the night side table, pulling out a bottle of healing potion. Feeling like being a smart ass, Riku added. "Plus I finally made a darkness blast...that's gotta count for something right?"

Sephiroth's back was turned to him, but he was almost certain that if he could have seen his face there would have been a smirk there. As it was though all he got was another scoff as his lover rubbed part of the potion on his face and drank the other half. By the time he turned around the burn was already gone, leaving his once again perfect face in view.

"Yes, well I can't fault you for that. If nothing else you did manage an impeccable blast. I'm proud of you." Really he was pretty sure that that was the biggest compliment he was ever going to receive from Sephiroth. In fact he was completely baffled that he even got that much.

Riku was only mildly aware that he was probably staring slack jawed at such a compliment. "Uh...thanks." He really didn't know what else to say, it was taking a lot just to get those words out.

Sephiroth gave a small nod. "Yes, well as such I think you should go practice, since it's morning now." What? Why did he have to go practice? His confusion was tripled when his lover created an energy portal. Where exactly did he expect him to go to this so called practicing?

"You know I don't need a portal...I think I'm capable of finding my way downstairs the normal way." You know he knew that the portal wasn't really for downstairs, he was just trying to be difficult. He really didn't deserve that 'my god you're dumb' look that Sephiroth gave him for suggesting it.

"You're not going downstairs...you're going out for the day." Out? Where? Why? All valid questions, and instead the one he asked was.

"Huh?" Which probably only fueled Sephiroth's speculation about him being an idiot.

His lover walked to the bed, grabbing his arm and dragging him over to the seeping darkness. "Listen Riku I have my own agenda, and I can't spend all my time with you. So you're leaving for the day." Oh, so he wanted to get rid of him. Damn, didn't the guy ever hear of tact? Riku mentally bitch slapped himself for even thinking such a thing. He was Sephiroth, of course he had never heard of tact.

The boy looked from the portal, to his lover, and then back to the portal. "Yeah, but how will I get back?" His foot was insistently planted in the ground as Sephiroth kept trying to nudge him closer to the portal.

"That's just something you'll have to practice now isn't it." Seriously, why was he sleeping with this bastard again? Riku glared as he ripped his arm out of Sephiroth's grasp. With narrowed eyes he walked over, grabbing his sword that Sephiroth had given him and a black cloak.

He stalked over to the dark portal, making sure to stomp his feet the entire time. "Listen asshole I know when I'm not wanting, so I will be going." He spun on his heel to glare at his lover. "But you can get all of your stuff packed up by the time I get back." Now he knew that Sephiroth didn't have anything there, but it was just something you said, and really it seemed to have the desired affect.

Sephiroth grabbed his arm, pulling him flush against his own body. Twining his hand in short silver hair, he harshly connected both of their mouths. Sephiroth's tongue quickly found entrance into his mouth, and Riku was so shocked by the sudden move that it was all he could do to timidly kiss back. As Sephiroth slowly pulled away, he made sure to keep their faces close together, letting their breathes grace across each other's lips. "Listen Riku I really have to go do something today." His voice was soft, husky, and god was it sexy. His lover gave him a chaste kiss on the lips. "Don't stay out too late alright." Riku would have responded, had he the willpower to do so at the moment, but it didn't really matter that much anyways. After he said that he gave Riku a harsh push so that he went sprawling backwards, right into the portal...so much for loving good-byes.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Sephiroth sighed as he walked over and grabbed his coat. The brat really was more trouble than he was worth. Not only was he annoying, arrogant, bratty, and whiny, but now he was starting to remember his cousin. Ansem had assured him this wasn't going to happen, but he should have known that it most likely would. Because when was Ansem ever right about anything? He got his body taken away because he thought he could be come one with darkness or some shit like that, who the hell was he trying to fool? It was a bit hypocritical of him to be saying that Sephiroth was insane, when it was obvious that he was completely off his nut.

It was obvious that all of this soul changing stuff was beginning to really affect Riku, he himself wouldn't be surprised if the kid lost it rather soon. Though not that he thought about it that was exactly what Ansem was hoping for. The sooner the brat lost it, the sooner he got sole control of the body right?

Well all the better for him. The teenager was entirely too clingy for his liking, especially for someone who is supposedly in love with someone else. When he thought about it that way he realized why Riku probably was trying to hold onto him that tightly, he wanted to try to wash off the memory of Sora with his comfort. If you thought about it wasn't too bad of an idea...get rid of the memory of your previous love by loving someone else.

This wouldn't work with him though. The object of his desires still lay out there, and he couldn't very well bury his feelings behind the sentimentality of someone else. He had often said that Riku was weak minded, and this only helped prove it. He hadn't even talked about Sora in about a week now, which considering when they first started sleeping with each other that's all he ever talked about, this was a vast improvement. They had been together for almost a month now, and though he didn't like to admit it, he really was growing somewhat fond of his little brat.

Of course he wasn't saying he was in love with him, hell he wasn't even saying that he liked him all that much, but if the brat's soul were to say be sucked out of his body, he might be somewhat inclined to miss him. What could he say, Riku kinda grew on you.

He shook his head to rid himself of such useless thoughts. They would get him nowhere, and really did have something to do. The before mentioned something he had to do had to do with the person he really wanted...His twin star so to speak. It was strange how before he had done nothing but think about his catch, and yet for the past few weeks he had been too distracted to even go look for him. That had been the main reason he had sent Riku to another world, at least for the day. After his talk with Ansem while his lover was past out he knew he couldn't afford to grow any more attached than he already was. He had to focus on things he could actually do something about, and he was afraid Riku's fate was already woven the minute he had involved himself with his cousin.

He didn't want to seem heartless by any means, even though that's probably what he was, but Riku was already in too deep to ever be rescued. Ansem already had complete control of the boy's body when he needed it, and soon he would completely break his mind. Why waste time on something you can't do anything about when you have someone you can do something with just waiting out there for you to find him?

During their last conversation his cousin had been generous enough to give him a clue as to his real lover's whereabouts, but as to whether that information was notable he had no idea. Only checking it could really ever do him any good, even then it was a long shot.

Sephiroth quickly created another portal, being very much experienced with the act after having to teach it to Riku all day. Though he had to say he was somewhat impressed, the brat really was a quick learner. It had taken him two weeks to even be able to summon a spark of darkness to the tip of his fingers. But he had a funny feeling that Riku's fluid control over the dark arts had something to do with the fact that he inhabited a body with someone who had pretty much given their soul for such a power.

He stepped into the portal, letting the cool chilling feeling rush over him as it transported him to his destination. His entire body seemed to be pushed through a tube, and at the end of it expanded once again. He had to admit that it was in no way a good feeling, the truth was that he had gotten sick the first few times he had even attempted to try it.

Stepping out of the portal, Sephiroth made his way to flat ground, immediately becoming familiar with his surroundings. He seemed to be in some sort of city, and by the looks of the sky it was nighttime. This part confused him immensely seeing as how it had just been half past 7:00 in the morning when he left. Was this city permanently in darkness? The darkness of the sky was greatly overshadowed by the fact that all of the building were alight and full with people.

The place was bustling with the strangest looking of inhabitants. In truth it looked as if all of the worlds had chosen that exact moment to vomit, and these were all their leftovers mixed together. Apparently this town (He was pretty sure Ansem had referred to it as Traverse Town) was a place for all of the destroyed worlds' rejects to come mingle...now that he thought about it the name was kind of fitting.

He was getting sidetracked though, this wasn't what he had come here for. Sephiroth ignored all the questioning glances he got as he stalked through the streets in search of his prey, he was after all quite used to them by now. Though he was rather inclined to listen to some old man who was mumbling about his appearance. Don't get him wrong though, it's not as if he gave a shit, it's just something he said intrigued him. He distinctly heard the sentence "Not another one with a wing...these strangers are getting weirder and weirder." Another with a wing?

Sephiroth wasted no time in grabbing the grumbling old man by his collar, reveling in the look of horror that was plastered on his wrinkling face. "Where?"

The man scrambled in his chest, and really he looked as if he was about to piss himself. His suspicions were confirmed when he saw a wet dribble begin to run out of the bottom of the man's pleated pant legs. "What!?" Fuck, some people could be such cowards, and dumb cowards at that.

"The other one with the wing, old man, where is he?" The geezer still looked confused, but as his eyes flickered up to Sephiroth's feathery wing, what he was being asked seemed to dawn upon him.

A shaky hand pointed to a blue and white door in the corner that had the words 'Third District' creatively painted above it. "I just saw him...he's sitting on a building in the Third District." Strange how such a pointless lead would prove to be so fruitful. "Please...please put me down now." Oh yeah, he was still holding him wasn't he?

Without a second thought Sephiroth harshly dropped the old man to the ground, probably effectively breaking a few bones along the way. He gave the man a cold menacing stare, as if daring him to cross him. "If I find that you're lying to me old man, I will not hesitate in coming back here and personally dislocating every bone in your body."

Giving a final glare, he spun on his heel and headed towards the door where the object of his desires was said to be waiting. If this search turned out to be futile, God couldn't help these townspeople. He would personally rip all their throats out, and burn this place down to the ground before he was through.

Though this seemed to not be the case, for as the doors cracked open, and brilliant light already seemed to radiate through the darkness. Well maybe he might have been exaggerating a little bit, but to him there had never been anything brighter.

The person he had been searching for for the past three years was in fact sitting on top of shoe building, obviously deep in thought. He had changed in the years they had been apart, had growing taller, had filled out those puny little arms he loved so much with bulging muscles. He still had that same unruly hair though...that unruly hair that shown like the sun. That's what he was to him though...his sun. The most remarkable difference however was the same thing that he would probably find different about himself. The mark from the curse protruded out of his lover's shoulder, marking him as both his equal, and complete opposite. Where his was a feathery black angel wing, the blond's looked more like a demon's. Though they had gotten that part wrong though, because looking at the blond sitting there in the moonlight he definitely didn't look like a demon. No, he was most sure that their wings should definitely have been switched around.

Sephiroth took a step forward, immediately alerting the keen blond of his presence. Sapphire blue eyes that seemed to still hold their faint glow snapped up to him, automatically widening when they saw who had interrupted him. "Seph...Sephiroth!?"

With a smirk, Sephiroth took another step forward. "Nice to see you again Cloud...It has been such a long time." His finger's ached to reach for his sword, and he saw that Cloud's were about to do the same. Who said that all reunions had to be happy?
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.
Sign up to rate and review this story