Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Thirty-Six: Advanced Maneuvers

by Giroro5X 0 reviews

Hey everybody! Sorry it took me so long to get this chapter out; school kept me rather occupied. The snow storm today gave me the opportunity to finally finish this chapter. I hope you enjoy it!

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-02-14 - Updated: 2007-02-15 - 5269 words

0Unrated



Roses of the Valley

Chapter Thirty-Six: Advanced Maneuvers


"...Will most likely avoid the sections of forest closest to the mountain, after seeing how we were able to utilize them last time," Seung scrutinized the map carefully, his thumb tracing gently over his chin as he reviewed the layout of the Kun valley.

"Would you like me to withdraw scouts from those areas and position them further along the river, sir?" Aiguo stood at attention before his superior.

"No," he shook his head slightly as his finger touched a thick line on the map; a river. "From this point any attempt at stealth by way of the river would be considerably compromised. Though we can assume that Kano's troops will depart prior, don't remove the scouting units from these points entirely," he ordered calmly as he traced his finger along the section of the river he had guessed to be neglected. "Just divide them to increase scouting detail near the more likely sections of infiltration. Kano may still be willing to somehow use these sections, no matter how ineffective they may appear." He narrowed his eyes slightly as he recalled the admiral's ruthless cunning.

"Yes sir. Should we position units throughout the valley to intercept, should he arrive?"

"No," he nearly whispered the words, thinking carefully. "The likelihood is that Kano will come with a full demonstration of strength. If we're scattered, it will be harder to organize the men. The troops shall remain here within the camp, the only exception being daily excursions to Bai-Jing in shifts for training."

"Training with Gang, sir?" Aiguo sighed, having no warm regard for the sessions.

Seung smirked slightly, well aware of the disdain held among the men towards training with the old bodyguard. "Gang is a firebender; training with him could provide valuable insight into the tactics and fighting style of the enemy. It's crucial that we utilize such an opportunity."

"Understood, sir."

"General Seung, sir!" a soldier hurried in, pushing the cloth doorway of the tent aside.

"What is it, private?" Aiguo snapped, startled by the subordinate's enthusiastic entrance.

"There's a messenger here to see the general," he explained nervously, standing at attention.

"Then send him in," the lieutenant's eyebrow rose, wondering as to why the messenger had not been shown in immediately.

"It's...Sir, they won't allow him to see the general."

"Who?" Seung glanced toward the sliver of light penetrating the center of the cloth doorway.

"...The other soldiers, sir." The private peered back to the door, listening for any sudden noise beyond the tent.

The general rose quickly, hurrying toward the door as Aiguo took to his side. Stepping hastily, he brushed the cloth aside as he stepped out to the camp. Recognizing the cause of their alarm, he narrowed his eyes.

Before him stood a Fire Nation messenger, Earth Kingdom soldiers positioned to either side with their spears brandished carefully toward his throat. The assurance that his task was merely to deliver a letter and avoid any form of conflict offered him little protection, each regarding him with potent suspicion.

A short distance behind him was a saddled mongoose dragon, hissing lowly as soldiers surrounded it.

They had gathered near his tent, refusing to permit the enemy to be alone with their leader.

"General Seung of the Earth Kingdom army!" the soldier called out, assuming this man to be the recipient of the scroll. "I have been assigned to deliver this document to you on behalf of lieutenant Norio, under direct orders from admiral Kano!"

Kano's personality and combat mannerisms, along with his pupil's, had offered him some temperament against the eccentricities of the admiral. Where he may have greeted the announcement with shock, Seung merely nodded to accept.

The messenger reached back to his pouch, flinching as the spears drew closer to him. Slowly he drew the scroll out, raising both hands up to indicate that he meant no harm.

"Slide it," the General nodded to the ground.

His subordinates took a careful step back, permitting the messenger to place the letter on the ground. Tapping his foot to its end, it slid toward its recipient.

Aiguo knelt to the ground, lifting the scroll before offering it to his commander.

Unrolling it, Seung's eyes flew quickly over the parchment as he studied its contents.

The air took on an incredible tightness, the soldiers and messenger eyeing the earthbender as he read silently. Potent quiet flooded the camp, the faintest noises cutting through the air like thunder.

Tension filled his features as he read further, his teeth clenching as he closed the scroll tightly. Glaring toward the messenger, he nodded. "Let him go."

Relief coursed through the messenger's every vein, a tremendous weight lifting from his shoulders.

The soldiers drew back their weapons, scowling as he turned back toward his mount.

Seung watched as the messenger snapped at the reins, hurrying quickly into the cover of the forest. His grip on the scroll tightened, bruising it as he breathed out slowly. Turning back toward the tent, he gave a low command to Aiguo.

"Disregard all strategies we developed earlier; have the men maintain their daily activities and bring a small unit of ten to my tent."

"Sir?" the lieutenant looked worriedly toward his superior.

"Here," his tone eased, calming slightly as he offered the letter to the soldier. "As my second in command, I would like you to read it."

He nodded gently, taking the scroll without protest.

Seung returned the gesture, stepping into the tent.

Aiguo opened the document gradually, unfolding new sections as his eyes slowly scanned over the contents. Nearing the end his eyes grew wider, his grip unconsciously becoming tighter.

"Hello, dear General Seung! My, it's been far too long since I last heard from you! I had assumed that my dear pupil Kazuki would relay any message you may have for me, but I suppose we both know the outcome of that particular plot. I am pleased to say that the weather in the Fire Nation is quite lovely; the sort that would inspire an individual to take their loved ones on a delightful walk through the more scenic provinces. But I suppose that discussing the weather is a fairly moot point, knowing that this letter will not reach your hand until long after such splendor has passed.

"Well then, I suppose it's on to the true purpose of this communiqué! I was taught long ago that one should never invite himself anywhere; but should their hand be forced where they must impose, they should at least have the kindness to announce themselves. (I would have administered the same courtesy to your late superior Dak-Ho, had I considered the brute to be worth the etiquette. I rarely spare formality on animals) Thus, I am pleased to announce that I will be making my triumphant return to the Kun valley upon the date listed below!

"Now, it would be rude of me to merely list the date and not the intention, so I will do such in the hope that you will prepare the proper reception for me. Our forces will meet at the exact location where our armies last battled with the hopes of decimating the village of Bai-Jing. I will spread fire and death through the forests, smash the skulls of those who defy me against the mountains. For every rose's thorn, I shall kill a civilian. Once I have conquered your troops, I shall force you to your knees so as to let you watch each and every one of these acts. You shall suffer and cry, your existence consumed by loss and shame for the people you could not protect. And each time my gaze falls upon you, I shall quiver with joy and laugh.

"Until then! I wish you well, dear General Seung! Sincerely, Admiral Kano."

Listed immediately beneath it was the date, Aiguo's body burning with a quiet rage as he stared at it. Closing the scroll he hurried deeper into the camp, grabbing the soldiers Seung had requested.



"Gah, get away from me," Yakone muttered as he swatted at a persistent butterfly. "These things are so annoying."

"If all you're going to do is complain just go back to the village," Li Mei chided from beneath the new hat Xiu had weaved for her.

"Yeah right, and be alone with the old psycho? No way," he sneered slightly as he imagined the glint in Min's eyes as she subjected him to some wretched, unexpected torture.

Jung remained a few paces ahead of them, the ingredients pouch strapped idly over his shoulder. He had relieved Shui of the task upon his return, much to the young firebender's relief.

"Why're you even here?" the waterbender looked towards the girl curiously.

"Because some of the ingredients that are used in tea are good for medicine. Jung knows where to find them, so if I stay with him I might find something really useful!" she smiled.

"So that's it? We came out here to pick flowers and stuff?" his eyebrow rose.

"Jung and I came out here for ingredients; I guess you came to whine like a little girl," she peered over her shoulder toward him, weary of his bellyaching.

The Demon smirked beneath the mask.

"Yeah, I guess picking 'ingredients' would seem like an adventure to a brat," he grinned.

"Hey! I went to Wei Min and helped treat everyone who was injured by Gousaru! All you did was spy on people while they were kissing!" Li Mei scolded.

Still facing away from them, Jung blushed slightly with the hope that she had not been referencing him and Wen Lan.

"Last night you and the old pain were practically begging me to tell you about it!"

"So? That doesn't make you any less of a pervert!" She tilted her head to the side as she scoffed.

"Punk."

"Jerk."

"Troll."

"Idiot."

"Wait," Jung lifted an arm, interrupting their exchange.

The two turned their attention to him, watching curiously as a pair of Earth Kingdom soldiers approached them.

"De...Jung," the first soldier bowed politely, still nervous in the warrior's presence.

He offered a simple nod of the head, gazing attentively at the two.

"I have been assigned to request that you and Yakone join general Seung at lord Chin-Hwa's estate immediately," he rose up from the bow, his eyes fixed upon the terrifying visage that was the mask.

"What'd you do!?" Li Mei frowned at the teenager.

"Nothing!" Yakone barked back at her.

"...Hmm," Jung noted, removing the ingredients pouch. Turning toward the two, he offered it to Li Mei. "Gather what you can that you know she needs. When you get back, explain what happened. She'll tell you what else to gather," he instructed calmly.

"Y...Yes!" she nodded, taking the pouch. There was a gentle pride in being trusted by Jung to carry out the task. "Don't get into trouble," she warned Yakone before hurrying off toward the forest.

"Shut up," he grumbled lowly, turning to walk beside Jung as they made their way back towards Bai-Jing, the soldiers walking steadily behind.



"Isn't this supposed to be your job?" Shui questioned as he pressed another seed deep into the soil.

"Quit whinin', this is good training for you!" Gang grinned, ignorantly shoving flowers into the ground. He was a bodyguard; the care and finesse necessary for gardening escaped him completely.

Where one would anticipate the groans and mutters of protest to fill the garden, the guards of Chin-Hwa and Wen Lan greeted the activity with a noticeable relief. They had all dreaded the return of Gang, understanding that he would subject them to intense training to compensate for his time away.

The repair of Chin-Hwa's garden was rather pleasant in comparison.

At its edge sat Bo and Chin-Hwa, a Pai Sho board set between them as each focused upon it with an intrigued smirk. Both had eagerly anticipated the match, regarding one another as equals in terms of skill.

Though Haozen lacked the experience and knowledge of the game to rival the old firebender, his strategy had revealed an interesting technique. Understanding it through further play against the pirate, Bo implemented it.

Using the journey home to reflect upon that which had occurred in Wei Mei, Chin-Hwa found himself inspired. Channeling this, he implemented it into a new technique to be tested against Bo's mettle.

Neither could conceal their fascination, amusedly staring at the board as they moved closer and closer toward a stalemate.

"How's that?" Shui looked curiously toward the bodyguard.

"Well, you've gotta be tough to be a firebender," he nodded as he explained. "But it's not all force; you've gotta have some precision to it."

The teenager's eyebrow rose up, glancing at Gang's hands as he forced another flower roughly into the soil. The corner of his mouth lifted in an amused smile.

"So where are you going to train now that the garden's off limits?"

"Eh, wherever. We'll train near the back entrance of the village, jog around it a couple times to warm up," he shrugged.

Silently, the guards sighed in unison.

"Hey old man! This part's done!" the bodyguard motioned his head toward the crudely placed flowers as he stood.

"Do it again," the noble noted dismissively, his eyes focused on the board before him as his fingers sifted slowly through his beard.

"Eh!? You're not even looking!" Gang protested.

"I do not need to. It is impossible for you to have planted those flowers effectively in so short a time," he squinted slightly as he scrutinized Bo's move.

Grumbling, the bodyguard crouched once more before pulling the recently planted flora from the dirt.

Stifling a chuckle, Shui looked away as he continued his work.

"Shut up," he muttered with an annoyed scowl, looking toward one of Chin-Hwa's guards in an attempt to understand the proper technique for the chore.

"Lord Chin-Hwa," a soft female voice called for his attention worriedly.

"Hmm?" his eyes trailed slowly from the board, fixing upon the face of one of his servants. "Yes?"

"General Seung has arrived to see you," she bowed her head politely.

"Ah, excellent," he nodded gently with a smile. "Please inform him that I will greet him momentarily. Lord Bo, if you..."

"My lord..." she interrupted suddenly. "...My apologies, but...He insisted it was of grave importance." Standing, she glanced back.

Several soldiers approached from behind, Seung standing at the head of the group. His frame was tense, his face conveying a seriousness he had not worn in Chin-Hwa's home for a long time.

Bo glanced over his shoulder, studying the earthbender's expression. The wisdom that age and experience had gained him permitted to guess as to what news weighed at his features.

"Hey, Seung! Gimme some earthbenders to fix the garden!" Gang called out, waving toward his self-proclaimed rival. Witnessing no response his hand lowered slowly, his eyes narrowing as he attempted to understand the silence. .

Recognizing the sudden change in manner, Shui peered toward the soldiers. Standing, the other guards began to become aware of the same.

"Lord Chin-Hwa," Seung bowed respectfully to his old friend. "I come with news. Please permit me to use one of your rooms to properly relay it."

"Of course," the old noble bowed his head without a second thought, worrying as to his comrade's welfare.

"Lord Bo, I request your presence as well," he nodded toward the firebender.

He nodded compliantly, already guessing his role in the affair.

"Gang, Shui, I ask that you both accompany us," he called out to the two, turning his body slightly.

"Hmm," the bodyguard grunted with a rough nod, understanding the matter to be serious.

A slight unease passed over the teenager each time the general paid any sort of attention to him, well aware that he owed his life to the man. Obediently he bowed his head.

"I thank you all. Lord Chin-Hwa, if you would be so kind as to lead the way," he turned his attention toward his old friend once more, the cooperation of the four doing little to ease his tension.

The noble bowed once more, turning to make his way down the hall as the others followed.



"Xiu, can you find the sheet I marked with the estimated operating cost of the Golden Monkey Inn?" Wen Lan sorted through the papers and scrolls before her with a slight frustration, unable to recall where she had set the figures.

"Anything on it besides numbers?" the servant's eyebrow rose, unable to determine one collection of unlabeled data from another.

"I believe Gang drew an image of a monkey at the upper right corner in an attempt to help lord Chin-Hwa and I organize," she explained as she lifted a pair of scrolls to see if the sheet had somehow slipped beneath them.

Xiu's eyes narrowed with slight irritation, her eyes fixed upon the corner of the paper in her hand. "It'd help if he knew how to draw. What is this?" she offered the sheet to her friend.

"I believe..." Wen Lan squinted, trailing off as she attempted to decipher the figure. "That it is a badger mole."

"You're kidding?" she protested as she looked at it once more. "I could've sworn it was a Saber-Tooth Mooselion."

"Ah, I found it," the noble smiled as she placed it atop the others, moving her hands quickly in a feeble attempt to arrange the documents.

"Is it usually this cluttered? It was usually much more organized in your office back in the Fire Nation," she observed.

"Yes, but there we had the advantage of maintaining business, rather than starting one from scratch. Once we've finished with the initial paperwork and become accustomed to it, it will become much more streamlined," Wen Lan smiled.

"Sounds good," Xiu smiled, sorting through some papers.

The door to the room slid open, footsteps pressing heavily against the mats lining the floor.

The noble and servant looked up curiously, wondering as to the nature of the disturbance.

Before them stood two Earth Kingdom soldiers.



"There; now everyone has arrived," Seung looked up from the head of the table toward the entrance as two soldiers stepped in, Jung and Yakone standing behind them.

The others looked up, a slight tension weighing at the air of the room.

"What's all this about?" Yakone's eyebrow rose up as he observed the others.

"Now that you and Jung have arrived, I can share it freely. Please take a seat," he nodded toward a pair of chairs, motioning for the soldiers to stand guard at the door.

Wen Lan smiled softly as Jung sat beside her, turning her attention back toward the general.

Sitting beside Gang, the waterbender leaned his elbow carelessly atop the table's surface, resting his cheek against his palm.

"I apologize for any alarm I've caused you all in gathering you; I would not have done so if it could be avoided," he began.

"Out with it!" the old bodyguard grunted, having never been one for suspense.

"...Admiral Kano sent a messenger to my camp with a letter; within it is listed the date upon which he will attack the valley," he explained grimly as he set the letter on the table before him.

The tension snapped into a shocked alarm, the others staring with wide eyes toward the general as he delivered the news.

"Wait, he just told you when he'd be coming?" Shui's eyebrow rose, having never heard of such an outrageous gesture.

"Seems his style," Gang grunted.

"How can we be certain that the date is authentic; that he truly intends to step foot in the valley then?" Wen Lan's eyes narrowed slightly, already sensing something to be amiss.

"Precisely because of that line of thought," Chin-Hwa's fingers stroked through his beard. "Notifying us of the date would cause us to question it and inadequately prepare any defenses. If we prepare them too early, the mental stress of waiting for combat will work against the Earth Kingdom forces. If we prepare too late, we are victim to his attack."

"Hmm," Bo nodded in agreement.

"Unless that's how he wants us to think," Yakone noted.

"If we enter that line of thought, there is no way we can properly predict the admiral's thinking. Anticipating him to be always a step ahead will make it impossible to form a proper strategy."

"What do you propose, general Seung?" Wen Lan looked toward him, recognizing this to be his field of expertise.

"We have to base our thinking off of that which we know of admiral Kano, not off of what we regard as the most likely scenario from the standpoint of enemy forces."

"I thought this Kano guy was enemy forces," Yakone peered toward Jung.

"Yes, but we must focus on how he would perceive a scenario rather than how the average Fire Nation soldier would to better tailor our strategy," Chin-Hwa explained.

"What do we know of him?" Shui asked, having only ever heard of the admiral.

"He is sadistic," Wen Lan narrowed her eyes slightly as she recalled the evidence supporting the observation.

"And flashy. His armor was too fancy," Gang condemned the attire, associating that which was fancy with that which was weak.

"We also know from his speech and mannerisms in combat that though he's sadistic, he's composed. Etiquette plays some role in his personality," Seung narrowed his eyes, analyzing the fact.

"...Hmm," Bo muttered pensively.

"Such an observation is further proven by this letter," Chin-Hwa glanced toward it.

"Which is where we encounter a certain issue," the general frowned at the letter. "We were given no notice prior to his dispatching Kazuki's team. In that, we also recognize some degree of treachery."

"That is difficult to support, though. Unlike other examples of the admiral's behavior, Kazuki's attack gives us no direct observation but rather hearsay," Wen Lan noted.

"For all we know, this Kazuki guy was doing it all on his own. Or maybe he was supposed to write us a letter and didn't," Yakone shrugged.

"Perhaps. Yet in this villain 'Kazuki' we may find further evidence. If he was, in fact, Kano's pupil then certain aspects of the admiral would be reflected in him. Especially anything that was repeated between the two," the old noble guessed.

"He didn't kill me," Seung glared slightly, recalling the assassin.

The group turned their attention toward him.

"He had multiple opportunities to kill me and then burn the village, but he didn't. He wanted me to see it, just as Kano wants to see me suffer when he returns."

"...Pride," Jung noted lowly, his voice conveying a disdain for the assassins.

Everyone turned their attention quietly toward the Demon, surprised by his sudden contribution to the conversation.

"Kano was lucky to escape," he continued. "He ran. He could have stayed in the Fire Nation, but his pride led him to send the assassins. Kazuki could have given up when the odds had turned against him, but fought until he was unconscious. Instead of accepting it, Kano announces that he's returning."

"Hmm," Bo nodded, recognizing the point's validity.

"If we combine the knowledge of his pride with the observation of his etiquette...We understand that in writing this letter Kano has bound himself to this date. Anything written within this letter is unchangeable to him," Seung noted, lifting the scroll.

"So we know when he's coming. So what?" Yakone folded his arms behind his head.

"If we know the date, we can set up a proper strategy and lay out any necessary traps," Shui fielded the question, his tone clearly portraying his opinion of the waterbender.

Yakone countered by lifting his hand toward his rival, opening and closing the fingers while mimicking him in a high pitched tone.

"We also have to consider any interpretations of the letter that can be made to his advantage," Seung noted as Chin-Hwa examined the scroll. "Dispatching Kazuki was an example of treachery, as well as his claim during our first fight that he was motioning to decimate Bai-Jing."

"What else does he say in it?" Gang nodded toward the parchment.

"That he'd meet our forces in the same location as last time," he noted.

"And that he'll obliterate all residents of the village," the old noble's eyes narrowed in disgust as he offered the scroll to Bo.

"What advantage would he receive in choosing the same location as last time? The area is right beside a mountain," Wen Lan questioned the logic behind the strategy.

"Maybe it's just the only place he knows that he can describe," Gang shrugged.

"Or perhaps in fighting us there once he already knows what strategies we could implement," the general noted, realizing the potential advantage this fact would provide to the Fire Nation.

"...He's going to attack the village," Shui's eyes went wide as he studied the parchment from beside his mentor.

"We know that, idiot," Yakone sneered.

"No," he glared. "He's going to attack the area where you fought and the village at the same time."

"How do you know?" the bodyguard leaned his head over to get a proper view of the letter.

"Here," Shui motioned with a finger. "In every part of the letter, he's talking about himself, what he's going to do. Then in this line, he just says 'our troops' instead of 'I.' He doesn't have to appear at the battlefield, and neither does his entire army. So long as some of his forces do, he's remaining true to what he wrote."

"Hmm," Bo smiled with a gentle pride.

"Or he could appear on the battlefield while a separate unit attacks the village. That one aspect of the letter may be his attempt at treachery," Chin-Hwa turned to face his old friend.

"...I'm glad that I called all of you here today, then." Seung looked up over the table, each of the faces fixed upon his. "My attempt to solicit aid from the other Earth Kingdom generals met with failure; they lack the resources to provide us with any additional support. The only troops we have to work with are those who survived the last encounter with Kano. Each of you has demonstrated tremendous skill, skill that's helped to save the Kun valley from domination in the past." He bowed his head slowly, placing his hands politely before him. "I humbly ask that though you are civilians, you will lend the valley your strength in its time of need."

A silence passed over the room, each gazing toward the general who had fought hard to protect the valley bowing to them.

"You got it!" a voice barked from one of the seats.

Seung's head rose, his eyes fixed on the voice's owner.

"Someone's gotta be out there t'make sure you come back alive; gotta make sure you give me that rematch you owe me!" Gang grinned.

"Though I cannot fight, I will lend each of my guards to your cause. They willingly stood to protect Bai-Jing in its time of crisis once, I am certain they would do so again," Chin-Hwa nodded slowly.

"Hmm," Bo nodded with a smile, adhering to the request.

"I as well," Shui noted, his master's compliance reassuring him of the cause.

"Sure; nothing better to do," Yakone shrugged.

"I will gladly lend my aid," Wen Lan smiled softly, nodding toward the general.

He turned his focus to Jung, fearing that the association with Earth Kingdom forces would drive him away from offering his strength.

The Demon nodded slowly.

"...Thank you," Seung bowed once more, relieved.

"Quit bowing and give us a plan!" Gang ordered, frustrated with all the formality.

"Yes," he nodded quickly, his concerned expression now decorated with an aspect of confidence. "All Earth Kingdom soldiers will be sent to the battlefield. The letter confirms that Fire Nation forces will arrive there and we must deal with that threat."

"What about Bai-Jing?" Shui noted.

"That is where we run into a field of unknowns," he narrowed his eyes as he considered various scenarios. "If Kano truly wishes to distract me long enough to wipe out the village, he'll allocate the majority of his forces to the battlefield to keep me occupied."

"I will use the time between now and the date listed to prepare and move the villagers somewhere safe," Chin-Hwa offered, smiling. "I cannot fight, but I am still able to protect."

Seung nodded. "The safest place I can think of would be the mountains; even with only a few of your earthbending guards, it should protect you from any potential harm."

"Indeed," he nodded.

"With the villagers secured, the village serves more as a trap than a potential weak point. That said, I think a small team familiar with the village would be best," he searched through the faces around the table, considering each.

"General Seung," Wen Lan called his attention.

"Yes, lady Wen Lan?"

"I ask that you permit me to stand in Bai-Jing's defense," she began.

Jung turned his attention toward her, worrying slightly at the notion of her placing herself directly in the path of the Fire Nation.

"This village took me in despite suspicion and accepted me; I will not allow it to fall." A low determination filled her words, the recollection of the admiral inspiring a gentle anger.

"...Very well," the general nodded. "I know by description that you are capable."

"Hmm," Bo nodded to Shui.

Understanding the message, the teenager called out the general.

"I'll remain also."

"Excellent," Seung smiled, understanding a firebender to be a potentially invaluable asset in the fight to come.

"Suck up," Yakone smirked.

"Yakone, you will be the third," the earthbender noted.

"What?!" he gripped the edge of the table, staring.

"Combat within a village would offer a waterbender a significant advantage. Jars of water will be placed along the roofs of various buildings, granting you multiple opportunities for traps and an endless supply of resources to use against the Fire Nation," he explained.

"Lame," Yakone muttered, sitting back in his chair.

"However...We can't be sure whether Kano will choose to arrive at the village or the battlefield. Should he choose the latter, I can meet him head on and end this. If he chooses the village..."

"He's mine," Jung noted.

The faces turned toward the Demon's mask once more, his voice surprising them.

"I'll remain to fight him, if he chooses to appear," he nodded slowly.

"...Agreed." Seung stood from the table. "We will meet here once every evening to observe the status of the preparations. I will move the majority of my troops here to train with Gang, lord Bo and Shui."

"Let us leave with the determination to protect that which we love, that which we have built here." Chin-Hwa stood slowly.

"For the protection of the valley," Wen Lan smiled.

"Yeah!" Gang pounded his fist against the table with an excited grin, steam pouring from his nostrils. "Hey! Go tell someone to get us some drinks; we're celebrating!" he ordered the two guards closest to the door.

"If I recall correctly, you still have a garden to repair," Chin-Hwa stared harshly.

"Yeah yeah, that can wait; this is important! Gotta give this plan a proper start!" he smirked.

Seung smiled, his body easing slightly as Gang and Chin-Hwa began to argue. The day had introduced many uncertainties, yet in the company of those before him he found some of his fears put to rest, a gentle confidence growing.

The sound of arguing and laughter permeated from the room, the servants hurrying toward it with drinks as the group carried on.
Sign up to rate and review this story