Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Thirty-Seven: Farewells

by Giroro5X 0 reviews

Hey everybody! Please forgive me for how ridiculously long this chapter is, I was trying to fit all of the "farewell" material into one chapter rather than taking up several with it. Also, I fi...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-02-22 - Updated: 2007-02-22 - 7060 words

0Unrated


Roses of the Valley

Chapter Thirty-Seven: Farewells



Training had eased the nervous tension that had burdened his muscles, experience conditioning his body to naturally comprehend the movements of the art. There was much to learn; many challenges stood poised to greet him in his journey. Yet Shui had come far, and now moved beside his mentor with a fluid grace that those who had known the teenager in his youth would never think him capable of.

The morning sun rested idly in the sky, the last few drops of dew clinging stubbornly to the petals of the crudely planted flowers within Chin-Hwa's garden. They moved through the sequence quickly, using it as a warm-up before working with the earthbenders to improve their comprehension of firebender tactics.

The majority of Wen Lan's guards were firebenders, their skills honed by Gang's intense training regime. They fought hard against Seung's soldiers, the sparring sessions providing invaluable understanding.

At the edge of the garden stood the old bodyguard, barking out orders and marking the flaws of each soldier and guard. His eyes remained attentive, even fighting the urge to blink as he sought to improve each potential warrior as much as time would permit.

"Lord Bo," a frightened messenger called from the hall, firmly clasping a scroll.

Shui lashed his left leg up toward the sky, a wave of fire piercing through it. Turning his body he returned his foot to the ground gracefully, breathing deep as he looked toward the messenger. His master had already turned to greet the civilian, stepping forward curiously.

"For you," he bowed quickly before hurrying down the hall, terrified at the prospect of being struck down by a misguided chunk of earth or burst of fire.

Silently the old firebender unrolled the document, his eyes traveling over its contents carefully as his frame remained calm. Without a sound he rolled it up, inserting it beneath his belt. Turning toward Shui he offered a simple bow, communicating without words that they had finished their morning session.

Gang watched out of the corner of his eye, the deviation from what had become the standard morning training regime inspiring a slight curiosity.

"Master, should I..." Shui started, concerned by the very same.

He lifted his hand, his head shaking from side to side gently before making his way down the hall.

The teenager's eyes narrowed slightly with worry, wondering as to what had brought about his mentor's sudden departure. The thoughts were interrupted by Gang's clamor.

"Hey kid! You train with old man Bo all the time, how about we mix it up a little?" he smirked.

"How do you mean?" his eyebrow rose up.

"I'll train you for the day; show you firebending from a different angle or whatever!" he shrugged.

The firebender smiled, nodding. The idea fascinated him, wondering if the bullheaded bodyguard was privy to some powerful technique his mentor had been somehow ignorant of.

"Alright!" He stepped down from the edge of the garden, approaching slowly. Tilting his head to the side his neck released a loud cracking noise.

"What position do we begin from?" Shui stood calmly.

"Whichever one doesn't get you killed." Without warning he launched forward, his right fist sailing through the air as it rushed toward the teenager's head.

His eyes went wide, barely evading the hit as he ducked. Kicking back he landed in a crouching position, his gaze fixed on the bodyguard.

"What are you doing?!"

"What's it look like? Training you!" The amused smile had grown into a grin, impressed that the novice firebender had managed to dodge the hit despite being taken off guard.

Now aware of the old firebender's training method, Shui narrowed his eyes as he rose into a defensive stance.

The bodyguard grinned, tearing forward again as the soldiers and guards fought viciously against one another. The sound of shifting rock mixed with that of rushing fire filled the air, the yells of determined fighters accompanying them.



"Alright, lord Chin-Hwa says that most of the bare essentials have already been stored in a cave up in the mountains. I packed a few changes of clothing and anything that we might need while we're up there." Sun burst into the tea house, her tone excited and hurried as she explained the progress of the preparations to her daughter.

The shop was empty, Bai-Jing in a frantic uproar as its denizens hurried to prepare for the excursion to the mountains. Chin-Hwa had been kind in organizing it, yet no effort on his part could ease the worried spirits of the people as they struggled to ready themselves for the trip.

"Where's your grandmother? Her shoe needs mending before we leave."

Qiu said nothing, glancing nervously toward the kitchen as she cleaned and organized the serving area.

Scowling slightly, Sun stormed toward the kitchen before lashing her arm out to swat the curtain dividing the two rooms aside.

"What're you so worked up about?" Min glanced over her shoulder, having heard her daughter's footsteps from the time she had entered the shop. Positioned throughout the room were at least two dozen kettles, the flames beneath each active. Her hands moved with a swiftness that contradicted her age as she stirred and inspected each.

"The war tea?" she guessed flatly, examining the kettles.

"Lots of it." The corner of the old pain's mouth lifted into a wry smile, the wooden spoon pulling gently from the contents of one of the kettles.

"You do realize that we need to be packing right now? That we're going to the mountain with the rest of the villagers?"

"We're not leaving for another few days; plenty of time to get it all ready."

"Ready for who!?" Sun snapped, noticing several stored containers of tea that had been brewed earlier in the day.

"Who else?" she grinned. "The whole village."

She clenched her fists, scowling as she watched her mother's old frame bent over the kettles. The war tea had always been an uncomfortable topic. Her mother's stubbornness had always succeeded in infuriating her. The combination of the two with the fact that there were more pressing matters to be addressed tested her patience thoroughly.

"C'mere and help me," Min instructed calmly, waving a hand quickly to call her daughter to her.

Sun's eyes went wide, startled by the command. It was the nicest tone her mother had offered her in a long time.

"What're you waiting for?" she muttered, her voice breaking into a sudden bark. "Hey Qiu! You get in here too!"

Her granddaughter stepped in from the serving area, relieved to see that the two had not taken to arguing. Kneeling near her grandmother she watched carefully, her mother sitting beside her.

"Alright. Get an empty kettle and pay attention; this is tricky. And don't make me go over it again and again," Min ordered before turning her attention back to the kettle. Quickly she dove into the explanation of the war tea; its ingredients and the process by which it was brewed.

As Qiu's eyes followed her grandmother's finger, Sun watched the old woman's face.

There was a gentle calm to it, a tender smile complimenting her features as she guided them through the process.

A soft smile spread over Sun's face, her eyes falling to her mother's hand as she carefully heeded her instructions.

The three women remained there in the kitchen, a simple joy carrying throughout the room as they worked quickly to brew the war tea.



Bo stepped silently along the valley, admiring the lush beauty of the landscape as the village grew smaller in the distance. His pace slowed as he noticed a figure standing in the distance. Drawing to a halt, he recognized the man before him as the one who had scribed the message.

The ground between them was level, Bai-Jing far from earshot. It would be impossible to see the two without the aid of a telescope.

Jung stood silently, nodding slowly to thank the old warrior for heeding his request.

Bo drew the message out from his sleeve, nodding gently to confirm its contents. The tips of his fingers grew hot, fire consuming the edges of the paper as it drifted slowly to the ground.

"...Wen Lan describes you as a master firebender," was the last phrase to burn, the thin black strip that had once been a message now crumbling against the soil.

The two stood silently, facing one another as the grass between them twitched softly against the wind.

The earth beneath Jung shifted, forced down as the warrior rushed forward.

The grass below the firebender's feet tore from the ground as he widened quickly into a stance, stepping forward to greet his opponent's attack.



"Pain in the..." Yakone grumbled, setting the jar of water at the edge of the roof. Standing upright he wiped away a thin film of sweat from his brow, sighing as he looked over all the remaining buildings that still needed to be prepared. Lowering himself, he sat at the roof's edge as he permitted himself a break.

"Hey mister!" a tiny voice called from the street.

"Hmm?" his eyebrow lifted, glancing down.

Ryo squawked, standing idly by the entrance to the building. The cart containing the jars of water had been strapped to him, enabling to waterbender to lay Seung's trap with greater efficiency. Beside the ostrich horse was Jiao, holding a clay cup with a flower etched into the side.

"What?" he asked flatly, slightly exhausted from the labor.

"My mom said you might be thirsty so I brought you water!" she held up the cup, balancing on her toes as she attempted to lift it as high as she could.

"Kid, why would I be thirsty? If anything, I've got too much water," he grumbled, placing his hand on the jar beside him.

"But this water's good, I got it from the well!" she promised.

"The well?" his eyebrow rose curiously, recalling the well to be on the other side of the village

"Yeah! I almost dropped it but I didn't!"

Yakone watched the little girl curiously for a moment, the corner of his mouth lifting into an amused smirk. His hands lifted slowly, moving quietly as the water in the cup began shifting to his will. In one thin stream it lifted toward him, slipping into his mouth as he drank.

Jiao stared wide-eyed, having never seen someone waterbend before.

"That was so great!" she exclaimed, looking into the cup to see if it had been some sort of trick.

"Yeah?" he grinned, appreciating the praise.

"How did you do that?!"

"All you need is incredible skill," he shrugged. "When you're as good as I am, that sort of thing is easy."

"Is that why you're putting all the water on everyone's houses?" she blinked curiously.

"Yeah, somethin' like that." Yakone glanced to his right, seeing the building he had already finished with.

"Can you put extra on my mom's shop?"

"Why?" his eyebrow lifted again.

"It's a flower shop! They need lots of water to get big!" she smiled, lifting her hands from the ground to the sky to demonstrate a flower's growth.

He watched the girl curiously, chuckling as he looked out along the street. "Which one is it?"

"The one over there!" she smiled as she pointed with pride.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'll put extra there," he nodded.

"Thank you mister water!" Jiao bowed quickly, beaming as she scampered away.

Watching the little girl run back towards the shop, he smiled gently. The task didn't seem quite so irrelevant now. Aiming carefully he dropped onto Ryo's back, the beast greeting him with a raucous squawk.

"Shut up," he muttered with a slight grin. "We've got work to do."

Pulling at the reins, he brought the ostrich horse and the cart to the next building.



Flames cut through the air in continuous bursts, the old firebender stepping back with each attack as he attempted to hinder the Demon's approach.

Jung rushed forward, his shields swatting hard to deflect the attacks he could not dodge. Nearing his opponent, he lashed his arm forward in a powerful thrust.

Bo turned his body to the left, stepping in as his left hand motioned to grab the Demon's wrist. His right darted toward his elbow, preparing to launch the warrior over his shoulder.

Recognizing the attempt, Jung lowered his body. His right knee dug hard into the ground, thrusting his right arm toward the soil in an attempt to tear his limb free of the firebender's grasp. Succeeding, he launched his fist up into a heavy uppercut.

The old warrior leapt back, entering into another stance the moment his feet touched the ground. His eyes remained fixed upon the mask, unwavering as he readied for the next attack.

Jung stepped into a stance, his gaze locked onto his opponent. His muscles relaxed slightly as he prepared for the firebender's move.

Kano performed at a level he had not encountered in any firebender before. Though Gang could match the admiral's power, he could not perform with an equal level of speed or precision.

Jung needed to train with a master of the discipline. Someone who could rival if not surpass the murderous cutthroat that threatened the harmony of the Kun valley.

Both warriors understood this as they faced one another, scars of flame and impact littering the ground around them.

Bo launched forward.



Shui lay on his back, sucking in breaths as the guards and soldiers sat around him. Sweat drenched his face, his limbs exhausted from evading and blocking so many attacks.

The guards watched him with a slight pity, realizing the bodyguard had pushed him harder than he had pushed them in months.

"Alright alright, take a break," Gang grinned. "You did good, kid."

Had he any strength left, Shui would have offered a nod of the head to note his appreciation of the compliment.

Following the meeting, Seung dispatched half of his guards to train with Gang and the guards in the morning while he remained in Chin-Hwa's estate reviewing maps and potential strategies with Aiguo.

Each afternoon began with a sparring session between the general and the bodyguard, followed by training for the other half of the soldiers. As Kano's arrival drew closer, the sessions grew more intense. A focused and burdened expression weighed at the earthbender's features as he entered the garden.

The soldiers and guards watched from the garden's edge, Shui still lying on his back. This part of the day was an enjoyable spectacle for them, inspired by the magnificent techniques of the two as they battled.

"About time," Gang muttered, still grinning. "I just finished my warm-up."

"I apologize for being late," Seung nodded. He lifted his hands, untying his armor.

The bodyguard tossed his hat aside, scratching his head. His hair had grown considerably since he had burned it off, though messy and unkempt.

"Gang," the general called his attention flatly, setting his armor aside.

"Yeah?" he lifted his armor, tossing it aside as he stripped down to nothing but his pants.

"...If anything should happen to me in the coming battle, please promise me that you will take care of Xiu," he requested quietly. He tossed his bracers aside, fighting in the same attire as his opponent.

Gang glanced over his shoulder, his eyebrow lifting.

"I would prefer to go into the battle with Kano with no debts or worries," he noted quietly. "So I ask that you take care of he-" his voice was cut off as a fist slammed hard against his jaw, knocking him to the ground.

"General!" one of the soldiers exclaimed, rising to his feet. Several others drew him back to the ground, perplexed as they stared toward the scene before them.

Seung looked up, surprised by the sudden outburst. He noticed the approaching figure of Gang, anger filling his steps as he drew closer. A heavy hand grasped him by the hair, turning him so the two were eye to eye.

"You think that's it?" the bodyguard growled lowly.

"What?" Seung's eyes narrowed, confused by the inquiry.

"You think that so long as she's safe, you don't have to worry?" His tone was angry, his grip tightening on Seung's hair.

"What are you talking about?" he winced slightly as the bodyguard gripped harder.

"You're asking me to take care of her because you're worried you might die when this Kano guy comes!"

Seung glared, every word accurate.

"Dying's easy. Sticking around's a challenge," he growled. Serving as bodyguard to Wen Lan's father had enforced this belief, feeling a slight grip in his heart each time he remembered the man or noticed Wen Lan doing the same.

"Awhile back you asked me to tell you about Xiu. You wanna know somethin' important about her? Here it is: If you go into this thinkin' it's alright for you to die, you'll hurt her worse than any bandit or soldier could," he growled.

The general's eyes grew wide, staring at the firebender.

"I'm dumb, but I ain't blind. I've seen the way she looks at you, and I heard about you kissin' her at that military base."

Seung glanced toward the soldiers.

In unison, they broke eye contact and looked around in an attempt to convey innocence.

"You're in her heart. If you die, that piece of her heart goes too." Pushing the general back, he narrowed his eyes.

Landing on his backside, Seung looked up toward his sparring partner.

"If you think it's alright for you to die, just get out of my sight. But if you're strong enough to promise me you're comin' back from it alive, then get up and fight me." He stared coldly, carrying an intensity he had not demonstrated in some time.

He considered the matter for only a moment, rising to his feet before the old firebender. Equal in both height and spirit Seung smiled gently, nodding his head in gratitude.

"Good," Gang grinned wildly, the general's change in demeanor assuring him of their victory. "Let's get to it, then!" his fist launched forward, an ember at the end of it growing with incredible speed.

Shifting quickly into a stance, a slab of earth shot up between the two to prevent the attack.

The rock lowered slowly, each combatant standing on either side with a determined grin as the soldiers watched and cheered.

The old bodyguard yelled excitedly as he offered another attack.



Jung's movements were fierce, his body communicating to his opponent to hold nothing back.

Recognizing the message Bo spread his stance, motioning his hand quickly as his two fingers remained poised.

The warrior stopped, unfamiliar with the technique.

A blue spark trailed his fingertips.



"Ah, that was an excellent session," Wen Lan smiled softly as she finished the sequence.

She had chosen one of the quieter rooms of the estate to train, readying herself for the impending invasion. Each session was intense, pushing herself to her limit whenever possible. The occasional aid of sparring partners helped her efforts tremendously.

Li Mei offered her friend a cloth as she stepped off of the mat, a nervousness weighing at her face.

"Thank you," she smiled sweetly, offering a bow.

The girl reciprocated with a nod of the head.

"Li Mei? Are you alright?" She wiped away some sweat, her gaze fixed upon the young girl before her.

"...Big sister Wen...You'll be okay, right...?"

The cloth slowed, stopping over her lips as she understood the cause of her friend's worry.

"I mean...It took me so long to find you...So..."

"Li Mei..."

"Please don't leave me," the girl's voice shrunk to a squeak, looking down as her eyes burned. A soft tear fell from each.

"Li Mei," Wen Lan lowered herself to her knees, her hands resting gently upon the child's shoulders.

The noble's actions did little to ease the girl, now sobbing quietly with her eyes shut tight.

"Li Mei...I'll be fine. I promise," she smiled as she lifted her fingers to her friend's eyes, wiping a tear away.

"You promise?" she fretted quickly, lifting her palms to her face to conceal her sobbing.

"I promise. Here," she smiled, whipping her arm to the side to roll her sleeve up a bit. Her opposite hand touched against a bracelet with four charms lining it, removing two of them.

The girl stared, still sniffling slightly as she scolded herself for being so immature.

"You gave me this a long time ago...I want you to hold on to two of the charms from this bracelet. That way, I have to come back to get them." She smiled as she offered the girl the charms for the earth and air."

She clenched her teeth as she fought the urge to cry once again, clutching the two charms to her chest.

"You promise?" Li Mei whispered, resting her forehead to her best friend's.

"I promise," Wen Lan smiled, resting her palm to the girl's cheek to reassure her.

Near the entrance to the room stood Xiu, staring quietly at the ground. Silently, she thanked Li Mei for asking that which she had been afraid to.

With a gentle smile she looked down the hall, hair shifting slightly as a cool breeze brushed past her.



Jung stood in his stance, his body still save for the soft motion of deep breathing.

Bo remained poised, his chest rising and falling as he engaged in the very same action.

The two had taxed one another, neither exhausted enough to even consider stopping. The constant dodging had pushed the Demon's muscles, the constant offense testing the firebender's endurance.

The lightning had taken Jung entirely off guard upon the first cast, a combination of dodging and lifting his shield allowing him to escape the full brunt of the attack barely. Stripped from his arm, it lay on the ground nearby with a scorch mark lining its side.

It was only in watching Bo's eyes and hand that he had managed to develop a knack for dodging the technique. Each evasion pushed every muscle of his body, his skin still feeling the incredible strength and heat of the lightning as it passed.

Recognizing that the warrior had come to fathom a method for escaping the technique, Bo resigned from the tactic to simpler techniques that the admiral would be more likely to utilize.

Jung hurled himself forward, meeting each with the same intensity he had offered before.



"Ah, Wen Lan." Chin-Hwa smiled as he recognized his successor approaching from the opposite end of the hall, the village blacksmith walking beside him.

"Lord Chin-Hwa," she bowed respectfully with a tender smile.

"It is fortunate that we should meet, I was just on my way to find you."

"Oh? Is something the matter, my lord?"

"Nothing, my dear. Preparations for the movement of the villagers have gone relatively smoothly; the few nobles who did regard the matter with suspicion were convinced upon reading admiral Kano's letter. Rather, the news I have for you is of a more pleasant nature."

"My lord?"

"If you would please follow us," he nodded.

It was then that Wen Lan noticed the proud grin on the blacksmith's face, curious as to what had inspired it.

Before long they had come to one of the rooms Chin-Hwa used to greet visitors and nobles, a servant opening it to welcome the three.

"I sent for the blacksmith the moment the meeting with the others had finished," he explained as he stepped aside, revealing that which he had prepared.

The blacksmith stepped proudly toward that which he had crafted, nodding toward the item that had been prepared for Wen Lan.

The young noble stared at it, her hand lifting to her mouth in shock.

Three outfits stood before her. At the center was a robe that seemed at its core identical to hers, yet where hers had been decorated with designs native to the Fire Nation, this model had replaced such aspects with Earth Kingdom designs and features. Shades of red and tan had been substituted with shades of dark green and brown.

"The robes of the Fire Nation you wore...I assumed that they were tailored to your own taste. I asked that he arrange for the production of attire that maintained the same core appearance, but with features that would distinguish it as a garment of the Earth Kingdom," Chin-Hwa explained with a gentle smile.

"I really don't deserve credit for that one, it was all my wife. She's quite the seamstress," the blacksmith grinned.

"Yes, I was very confident in approaching your family for this task," Chin-Hwa smiled.

"Thank you, lord Chin-Hwa. It is exquisite," Even if her smile had failed to convey the deep level of gratitude she felt toward him for his consideration, her bow could not. So deep was it that the blacksmith wondered if she would be able to rise again.

"It is my honor and pleasure, my dear. Though it is exquisite, it was not made for appearance."

"My lord?" she rose from the bow.

"I requested that the garment be made durable. Wen Lan," he took her hands in his, a slight worry coming to his eyes. "I have been provided constant example of your capabilities and skill. I know that you will meet the challenge of the Fire Nation. It is my hope that when you do, you shall do so proudly as a citizen of the Earth Kingdom." He nodded with a gentle smile to the robe.

"My lord," she bowed her head. "I can never shun or abandon the people or qualities I have embodied from being born of the Fire nation. There will forever be a level of pride in my heritage. Yet with each day a pride almost parallel to this grows stronger; that of the Earth Kingdom. I will fight proudly on behalf of the Kun valley, yet must note that I cannot forsake the good that has come of being born of the Fire Nation."

"I would expect nothing less of you, my dear. Having encountered you and Lord Bo, as well as those who followed you both to this valley, I would be a fool to think there was no good within the borders of the Fire Nation." He nodded slowly, smiling gently.

"I thank you, my lord." She beamed as she rose back to her feet.

"I also requested the construction of this armor," he nodded towards the outfits to either side of the dress.

"They look somewhat strange," she admit.

"They are," the blacksmith grinned. "Lord Chin-Hwa said you have firebenders on your side. He asked that I put together some armor for them." He stepped toward them, pointing as he proudly identified their traits. "After seeing some firebenders and earthbenders in action, I figure it'd be harder for a firebender to bend while wearing Earth Kingdom armor. So I stripped a set of Fire Nation armor down to the most basic components and added some Earth Kingdom features to it. Gives the same level of defense, but also lets 'em firebend effectively. Also, same color as the other Earth Kingdom soldiers. So there'll be no confusion."

"They're incredible, yet..."

"Yet?" the blacksmith's eyebrow rose.

"...We have three firebenders aiding our cause."

"Three!?" the blacksmith's eyes went wide, praying he had not made some terrible mistake in the order.

"Yes, well. I believe we both recall what happened the last time I purchased a new garment for Gang," Chin-Hwa sighed.

Wen Lan stifled a laugh, realizing that Gang would most likely protest such attire regardless.

The two nobles returned to marveling at the blacksmith's work as he proudly described the advantage of each detail and feature.

Chin-Hwa could not fight, yet he would contribute in whatever way possible.



The two breathed deeply, their movements hindered by exhaustion. The ground was heavily littered with scars from the old warrior's bending, sections of earth shifted and disheveled by the Demon's powerful movements.

Staring across at one another each waited patiently for his opponent's attack. Tension stretched over the space between them, each moment drawing it closer to the inevitable snap.

Bo smirked as he noticed a satisfied grin creep up from the broken section of the mask.

"You two idiots finished yet?" a voice called out from just within earshot.

Both turned their attention quickly toward the figure, startled by the interruption.

Min watched as she approached, displeased that she had been forced to travel so far to find the two. Her arms were crossed, a kettle hanging idly from her right hand.

"You can't just stay in the village and practice there; you had to hike all the way out here. Well next time you do it, I'm not even coming out to bring you tea. Heck, you can go without tea for all I care," she grumbled as she neared them, setting the kettle between them before fishing out a few cups from her sleeve.

Realizing that she would not permit them to train any further, Bo bowed to his sparring partner. He was grateful for the break, his muscles throbbing.

Jung returned the gesture, quickly reviewing that which he had learned in the encounter. He was determined to apply each lesson to the impending battle.

"Hey, heat this," she muttered to Bo, lifting the kettle.

He sat calmly, lifting his hand to the bottom. His fingertips grew warmer, the kettle regaining any heat it had lost in the journey from the village.

"Thanks," she nodded before pouring his cup. Turning toward Jung, she poured some for him.

Nodding gratefully, he turned away to take a sip.

"So I hear that Kano guy'll be here soon," she said idly, pouring her own cup.

"Hmm," the two said in unison before taking another sip.

"...You two're the last ones I should have t'say this to." Min set the kettle down, lifting her cup in her hand. "The both of you'd better come back alright." Her tone was low as she warned them, lifting the tea to her lips.

Bo smirked slightly as he watched her, nodding tenderly.

Facing away from them so as to sip his tea without revealing his face, Jung smiled gently. He nodded his head, setting the cup beside him.

"Good," she smiled, looking up to the sky.

In the distance, the sun began its gradual descent. In its wake was a wave of magnificent color painting the sky.



Gang walked down the hall, his body coated in a thick layer of sweat and dirt. An indomitable grin was spread over his face, each training session increasing his confidence in their victory over the Fire Nation.

Chin-Hwa approached from the opposite end, taking a moment to notice the filth covering the bodyguard and hope that he would not track it through any of the more important areas of the estate.

"Hey old man," he grinned, nodding his head as he passed.

"Gang," he nodded his head gently, unable to fathom why particular individuals had such difficulty referring to him as "Chin-Hwa."

"Oh," the bodyguard drew to a stop after passing the noble.

"Hmm?" he turned back toward the firebender.

"Decided I'll fix the garden once this whole Kano thing's done with," he peered back over his shoulder, still grinning.

"...I see," Chin-Hwa smirked, understanding the declaration behind the statement. Nodding his head slowly to approve of the notion, he turned to make his way toward the main hall.

"Heh," Gang grinned, making his way toward the bathhouse.



"General Seung, a visitor's here to see you," Aiguo opened the door slightly. Chin-Hwa had lent a section of the Yang estate to the Earth Kingdom army for the sake of convenience and planning, an offer Seung found himself very grateful for.

"Please show them in," he said absentmindedly, carefully studying a strategy they had developed for any potential flaws or weaknesses. He had already washed away the dirt that his sparring match had coated him in, now dressed in a simple robe.

His focus on the map was broken suddenly, recognizing the girl's voice as she said "thank you" to the lieutenant. Looking up, he caught sight of Xiu stepping toward him.

"Lady Xiu," he stood quickly, a few loose items atop the table shaking from his startled rise. "I apologize, had I known you were..." his voice trailed off as his hands scrambled to straighten that which was especially cluttered.

Silently she pressed her body to his, her hands and head resting softly against his chest.

His fretting ceased, breathing in sharply as he nearly felt her worry pass from her body to his. Slowly he brought his hands to her shoulders, resting them tenderly as he touched his lips to the top of her head.

Xiu said nothing, her eyelids lowering slightly as she watched the far wall. She wanted nothing more than to bathe in the confidence his touch offered her for eternity, suspecting it could ward off any threat, even that of the approaching admiral.

"...Xiu..." he whispered gently, resting his forehead to hers.

"You'll come back...?" she chided herself for asking such a childish question, yet knew all too well that she could not resist her desire to hear its answer.

"Yes." He smiled tenderly, closing his eyes.

"Promise...?" Her eyes turned to his, her fingers lifting to trace gently along his jaw.

"Promise," he nodded, resting her cheek in his palm.

The two stared into one another's eyes in silence, Xiu balancing on her toes as she lifted her lips to the general's.

In each other's arms the two took solace, galvanizing the confident resolve that both had individually forged.



"War's bad for business," Min complained as she walked beside Bo. "No one's come by the shop lately; been too busy panicking about this whole invasion."

"Hmm," Bo nodded softly, his muscles still sore from the match with Jung.

"Ah well," she muttered, stepping into the shop. Her pace slowed, slightly startled by the spectacle before her.

"What're you three doing here?"

Bo stepped in behind her, looking to see who had surprised her.

Yakone, Shui and Li Mei sat at a table, each looking toward the two as they entered the tea house.

"We were waiting for Lord Bo, auntie Min." The girl lowered her head apologetically, hoping she had done nothing to offend the woman.

"Eh? Why's that?" her eyebrow rose up curiously.

Equally unsure as to the nature of their visit, Bo watched attentively.

"Well..." Lie Mei trailed off.

"Just say it already," Yakone grunted, sipping quickly and deeply from a freshly poured cup.

"You say it," she hissed back at him, disliking his impatience.

"Fine!" he turned his chair to face toward the two elders. "The brat and the idiot here are worried about the old man. On the way to the valley, we could all watch each other's backs. This is the first time he'll be going into a fight without one of us."

Shui glared disdainfully at the waterbender, disliking his unnecessary insult.

"Oh yeah? If we're the only two worried about it, then why did you come too!?" Li Mei accused, resisting the temptation to throw her cup at him.

"Shut up, you're so noisy." Yakone took another sip, dismissing the notion before she could succeed in revealing any measure of its accuracy.

"...We just wanted to all see sifu Bo once more before the battle comes," Shui interrupted the argument, looking up to his master.

His two companions adhered to this, their gaze turning back toward the old man.

"It'll be fine," Min grinned. "Already promised me he'll come back safe!"

"Really?" Li Mei's eyes lit up, already understanding that only a fool would defy a promise to auntie Min.

The old pain opened her mouth to boast, a sudden sound interrupting her.

"Really."

The four turned their attention to Bo, who stood with a complacent smile.

"I promise," he nodded. "I will be fine."

"See? He even used words this time; he's serious," Yakone noted as he lifted the cup to his lips once more.

"Thank you lord Bo!" Li Mei bowed her head respectfully as she smiled, her eyes growing soft as she fended off a thin film of tears.

"Heh," Min smirked, moving toward the kitchen. "Didn't expect any customers tonight. I'll go make sure Sun hasn't messed up your brew too badly."

From the opposite side of the curtain, Sun narrowed her eyes as she peered toward her mother's approaching voice.

Shui watched as his master took his seat. Quietly he lowered his head, thanking the old man for the promise.

Bo returned the gesture, smiling calmly as he enjoyed the company of his former traveling companions.

Levity occupied the tea house, laughter and voices carrying toward the sky as the twilight washed over Bai-Jing.



The two had exchanged promises of safe return since the night of the meeting, each fretting over the other's safety.

Realizing that their words could never truly ease the irrepressible worry of losing the other, they had resigned to a soft but comfortable silence.

They stood atop the bridge where they had shared their first confession, the sound of the small waterfall fending off the silence.

He held her in his arms, his mask resting idly atop the wooden railing of the bridge. A moist breeze washed against his skin, cooling the muscles that had been taxed by his fight with Bo.

She breathed in his scent quietly, memorizing it as her gaze met his. Her palms touched tenderly against his back, massaging as she smiled toward her love.

The two found an unconquerable peace as they embraced one another, the fireflies dancing merrily in the twilight.

"I love you," she whispered quietly, feeling a greater strength from the words with every utterance.

"And I love you," he smiled, her voice inspiring a levity in him that could never calm while in her presence.

No other words passed between them, instead resigning to silent comfort as they rested against one another. The twilight gave way to night, the moon hanging idly above them as it bathed the Kun valley in silver radiance.



Norio could not conceal his nervousness as he stood on the deck, looking out over the other ships that had been prepared for the campaign. A large pouch remained fixed at his side, his hand guarding over it unconsciously.

"Lieutenant Norio, we're being signaled. The other ships are ready to depart," one of the soldiers alerted him, noticing his superior's mind to be elsewhere.

"Right, thank you." He nodded, turning to face toward the Fire Nation docks.

"I say, a fantastic day for sailing! It seems that even nature itself offers us its blessing, doesn't it lieutenant?" Kano boasted excitedly, stepping up along the platform to board the vessel.

"Yes sir," Norio stood at attention, startled by the admiral's sudden appearance.

"Are the other ships ready to depart?" he grinned, his cape twitching wildly in the wind as he approached the bow of the ship.

"Yes sir, they await your order."

"Excellent! You know lieutenant, you've proven yourself to be one of...No, strike that so that I may make a proper evaluation of your skill; you are the most competent and capable of those who have served directly under me."

"Thank you sir." He could not accept the compliment without some degree of terror, completely unaware as to what could possibly follow it.

"And it is for that reason that I shall choose to reward you! You recall the battle strategy I had laid out for our arrival at Bai-Jing?"

"I do, sir."

"I shall permit you the honor and glory of taking charge of the second point of the operation!"

Norio's eyes went wide, understanding the true motive of the gesture. The second point was a potential suicide mission, one that carried with it the likelihood massive casualties. The admiral offering it to him was merely his own attempt to save his own life.

Yet to defy Kano even slightly would grant him a guaranteed demise. Bowing deeply, his eyes maintained their shock as he thanked his superior.

"I simply knew you would appreciate the offer! With that said, let us be on our way!" He grinned wildly turning to face the sea.

Swiftly and silently Norio grasped the pouch, hurrying to the side of the ship to order their departure. Swinging the bag once, he tossed it toward a Fire Nation messenger waiting patiently atop a mongoose dragon.

He had suspected Kano's treachery, but had understood most of all that such acts could place him and the other men in the path of defeat that was entirely unnecessary. Recognizing this, he had set to work on devising a strategy to save them from Kano's obsession with the valley.

He had made a copy of the admiral's letter to general Seung, offering the duplicate to the messenger to deliver on his superior's behalf. Keeping the original as evidence of Kano's treachery, he gathered what he could to aid in proving the fact.

Norio hired a second messenger to wait by the ship, paying him to catch the bag should he toss it to him and deliver it directly to Fire Lord Azulon.

The lieutenant had struggled with the question of loyalty and honor, the obvious egotism in Kano's gesture offering the final push necessary to make a decision.

"Lieutenant, why are we still in port? I thought I ordered our departure."

"There are...Complications, sir." Norio stood at attention, attempting to buy time for the Fire Nation to mobilize forces to intercept Kano.

"Lieutenant," the admiral's eyes grew wide as he turned to face his subordinate. "I ordered you to depart. You have less than a minute to succeed in this task."

Realizing the mortal danger of the scenario, his hand was forced. Norio turned to a group of deckhands, issuing the order to mobilize. Disappointment filled his eyes as he stared forward from behind Kano, realizing that the Fire Nation could not possibly
catch the vessel in time.

Kano grinned excitedly, feeling the cool ocean air wash over him once again. His cape twitched quickly, the wind tearing at it.

The fleet sailed forward, cutting through the sea as they pushed eastward. Water lined the horizon, the Kun valley drawing closer with each moment.
Sign up to rate and review this story