Categories > Cartoons > Delilah and Julius > Surreal

3. Odious

by panda_1418 2 reviews

Kick it up

Category: Delilah and Julius - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-02-20 - Updated: 2007-02-21 - 995 words

2Insightful
Chapter Three - Odious

"No, Roger! Stop it!"

Julius looked up at Delilah from across the table. He sighed as he watched the new kid, Roger, tickle her sides, causing her to laugh and smile. Rolling his eyes, Julius went back to twirling his cereal with his spoon.

"Dammit!"

Looking up again, he saw Roger stand up. Delilah's flying fists had knocked over her glass of OJ, spilling it all over Roger's pants. As he stood up, she started to snicker; it looked like he had wet himself.

"Thanks a lot," he grumbled.

Still chuckling, Delilah put on a sad face. "Oh, come on, you know it was an accident. A funny one, but still an accident."

Roger looked down at her, his head still held high. "An accident, hmm? Just like ... this?"

He jabbed her in the sides again. Delilah screamed and laughed again. Julius groaned and pushed his cereal away from him. He had lost his appetite.

Nosey nudged him. "The FNG seems nice,"

"Yeah, whatever," Julius mumbled, propping his head up with his hand.

Glancing at him, Nosey laughed. "Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed today."

"Shut up, Nosey," he growled, getting up and walking away.

Nosey glanced from Julius to Delilah and Roger tackling each other, and sighed. "All's not quite fair in love and war," he whispered to himself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

[Later that night, Roger's room]

Once again, the late night found Delilah and Roger stoned in his room, trying to laugh the effects off. It was just after one in the morning, and both their rooms had been checked already. Roger had texted Delilah, telling her it was all clear, and she had crept down the silent halls of the Academy to his room. She was looking forward to that floating, out-of-body feeling she had experienced the night previous.

Sighing, Delilah let herself slide down the wall until she was in a very uncomfortable position. Too lazy to move, she just lay there, staring at the ceiling.

"What's up?" Roger asked. He had intended it as a joke, but Delilah took it literally.

"I dunno. It's just ..." She pushed herself away from the block and lay on her back. "... It might be just me, but that didn't feel as good this time. It's probably just me."

Roger slid over closer to her. "Hmm. Probably is just you. Pot isn't one of the stronger drugs, I guess. For you, I mean. But ..." He hopped to his feet and walked over to his bedside table. Opening the top drawer, he shoved all his papers to this side and pulled out a black bag. "I might have just the thing to cure it in my little bag of tricks."

Dumping the contents onto his bed, he sorted through the plastic bags until he found what he was looking for. Holding up two of the bags, Delilah inspected them. One had what looked like candies in it, and the other a white powder.

"Is that crack?" she asked, pointing to the fine particles.

"Better," Roger answered, sitting down beside her. "This," he said, taking one of the "candies" out of the bag, "is E."

"Ecstasy?"

"E, X, XTC. Methylenedioxymethamphetamine, if you want to get technical."

Delilah glanced at him. "I'm not gonna even try to say that. So what's the powder?"

Roger smiled. "Ah, yes, good old PCP. People on the street call in 'angel dust'. Makes you numb and unable to feel pain," he explained, choosing to leave out some of the other effects. "So what do you say, angel baby? Want some of your dust back?"

She grinned as she took the bag from him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

[Next day, lounge]

It was study time at the Academy, but Al and Scarlett were away on a conference with the G.I.B., leaving the agents unsupervised. This meant, of course, that virtually no one was going over notes ... Except for four individuals in the lounge, sitting by the fire.

Julius and Nosey sat on the blue couch across from Delilah and Roger. The four spies were supposed to be reviewing Greek mythology for a test, but only two of them were taking the time. Delilah and her "boyfriend" (as Ursula referred to him) were whispering and giggling softly, while Julius and Nosey poured over their notes. Well, Nosey did, at least.

As Julius skimmed a paragraph about Pandora, he tried not to focus on the snippets he could hear from his partner's and Roger's conversation. Clenching his teeth, he forced his eyes to focus on the last paragraph on the page.

But Pandora was too curious. When the house was empty, she crept inside and opened the box. Out of the beautiful case came a whirling vortex of horror. Pandora had defied Zeus, and thus unleashed the Seven Deadly Sins upon mankind:

Lust
Gluttony
Greed
Sloth
(What the hell is sloth, anyway? Julius pulled out his electronic dictionary and looked it up: laziness. Ohhhh.)
Wrath
Envy
Pride


Try as he might, Julius couldn't shut the chatter out of his head. He couldn't focus on the reading, and had to go over to twice again to comprehend it. The Seven Deadly Sins. In fact, there were eight.

The eighth sin masquerades as a good thing. It's that feeling inside you that eats your insides. It tells you that maybe this can be accomplished, if only you do this and this. It's the feeling that allows you to make a complete fool of yourself when you dream, and chase those dreams. Sometimes, the eighth sin can be a wonderful thing. But behind all its promises and illusions, more often than not, it is a terrible, horrible sin.

The eighth sin was the last to come out when Pandora opened her box. That eighth sin, the worst one of all, was what is supposed to save the world, but really tears you apart after it crushes your dreams:

Hope.

=================================================================

Synonyms for /Odious/: hateful, green, vilifying, jealous
Sign up to rate and review this story