Categories > Books > Harry Potter > War

Waking Up

by Dragonis 3 reviews

Ch.09

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Sci-fi - Characters: Harry - Published: 2007-02-20 - Updated: 2007-02-21 - 3028 words

3Original
"I've never read about a basilisk like Bessy, it's probably best to ask Hagrid." Hermione pondered as they walked happily and almost carefree through the forest, she knew that dangerous creatures lived here but for some reason she hadn't noticed any one of them.

"It doesn't matter, I can talk to her and she can be like my big sister." James chirped from beside his dad, he had given up carrying the massive BFG a while ago because it was too heavy. He had gleefully taken a carefully controlled shot after Harry had told them all about Exodus and the Hive. Hermione had stood by and watched nervously, those two would be trouble and she couldn't be happier.

"What happened after I disappeared?" Harry asked bringing up the subject of what had happened in the wizarding world.

"A lot happened, it was somewhat predictable I guess, it didn't take long for Dumbledore and the others to try and guess what Voldemort would do. I should say that it saved us really." Hermione fingered her ring, the one that she never took off, and with a comforting glance from Harry she continued. "We tried every possible way of locating you, magical and non, nothing worked, we couldn't find your body and on all detectors you showed up dead. Voldemort was out of it for a few weeks, but when he came back he made sure that everyone knew about what happened. The Order took over the ministry almost immediately; there is no ministry anymore, its just part of the Order with Arthur Weasley leading it. The fighting began soon enough all over the world and escalated rapidly, anti-apparation wards, the Floo network were now completely controlled, air space was literally controlled by dragons, giant bats from ... somewhere. Voldemort began taking over towns and cities, within four years we were stretched to the limit with trying to cover up our war. Ron is leading a team of aurors, the best we have, I must warn you though that he has changed a lot. He's cold, brutal, unforgiving. Neveille has been working as a herbologist along side the twins who have created some really unique things. They don't run a joke shop any more; everything is completely focused on the war now. Ginny is a medi-witch, officially I teach transfiguration and Luna took over Professor Trelawny's position after she was killed." Hermione went on to tell Harry as about what territories Voldemort dominated, what they still controlled, and by the end he had gotten a very bleak picture.

"What do you think will happen now, with me coming back from the dead?" Harry asked.

"About that." Hermione began with a little grin. "I was thinking that perhaps before you come back as the big hero and all that, and everyone fusses over you ... that we have you to ourselves for awhile." Her expression told him that if James weren't with them right now that they probably wouldn't be doing much walking.

"I do believe that is the correct course of action. We tell no one that I'm back, let us get adjusted and spend some quality time together, and then everyone will find out soon enough." Harry couldn't be happier at all the prospects of this, from not having to deal with reporters to spending time with his wife and child, especially the time that he and Hermione would share together, eight years was a lot of time to make up. He did sort of feel bad about not telling anyone, but being dead for another week or two wouldn't hurt that much, the problem would be staying dead.

James looked a little upset. "Okay fine, but we still play Quidditch every day, no matter where we are." He held the now perfectly fixed and spotless Firebolt. He so desperately wanted to tell everyone that his dad was alive, that he was right all along, but he also wanted to get to know him.

They continued on talking about how they would have to make sure to act properly, and what they would do, almost normal family stuff. "Time to be anonymous hero." Harry gave Hermione a long passionate kiss, James muttered something about parents and yukky kissing, before putting his helmet back on with a sharp click and giving James a hug.

"We love you Sarge or...Harry." Destroyer's voice said over the comm.

"I love you too guys, and its still Sarge to all of you, unless you want to be called Roy. We're still Exodus, we're still brothers, nothing will ever change that. I'll fill you guys in on everything as soon as we leave, just pretend like nothing changed, like you don't know anything."

"Yes Sarge."

"And Sarge." This was Pyro. "You powerful? Like magically that is."

"Very." There was no denying it, he couldn't, he was no longer a scared little boy, he was a hardened, perfect killer, and he couldn't possibly deny that, it was pointless to deny nature. He hoped desperately that he would be just as good being a father and husband. "What's the situation over there?"

"It felt like a decoy, way too easy, and they retreated way too quick, seems that they just wanted to get your son. We got a few of them for interrogation, the Hawk is here we're bringing them over to it back at the stadium." They reported.

The attack had been stopped a bit too easily for his tastes but it was still halted. He hated to admit it, and he wouldn't to anyone, but those muggles did far better then anyone else. Those muggles were a real asset, an asset that was to be controlled and used, by him.

"RON!" Ginny ran up to him. "Where's Hermione? Have you seen her?"

"No."

"Don't worry about Hermione and James they're with..." Mad Eye Moody considered the rest of his sentence carefully. "The Sergeant, coming out of the forest over there." He pointed. Bloody hell Potter, its good to have you back, he thought. He had seen through Harry's helmet but hadn't said anything at the time, who knew what was going on, and Harry Potter was a very sensitive subject to a lot of people.

Hermione and James strolled over to them; they kind of seemed reluctant to leave the muggle Ron noted oddly, great, that's all he needed right now, some daemonic vicious looking muggle to make friends with Hermione and James.

"Are you okay?" Ginny asked.

"Yes." Hermione replied a little too quickly.

She looked into her eyes, no glassy look, no Imperius, but happiness. She had never seen Hermione so happy since Harry had died. "What happened?"

"D-The Sergeant ripped the Death Eaters to shreds." James replied animatedly.

"You were attacked!" How could he have missed this? He was better then that, it all made sense now, he should have saw, should have predicted, he had almost failed, and what was worse the muggle had saved the day.

"Yes Ron we were attacked but we are completely fine now thanks to Sarge."

"Look mom." James pointed over to the Quidditch pitch where all of Exodus had assembled, including Bessy. "She's so beautiful." No one dared approach the quidditch pitch for obvious reasons.


Four Death Eater's were dropped painfully to the ground, utterly frozen and limp, Bessy had ensured they wouldn't protest. Their backs were to a cold metal machine, they assumed it was one of those muggle planes, but at the moment they were more concerned with the seven frightening looking muggles and a basilisk that made every other basilisk or terrifying creature look like a fluffy bunny. A man in a neat muggle suit was with them, completely at ease. They were waiting for something, probably Dumbledore or the Weasle, not one of the Death Eaters could tell what was going on between the muggles that had captured them because of their helmets. And then He came, and it was not the feeling of fright that they got from Voldemort, it was the feeling of immanent, painful, death.

"Miller, you can trust Dumbledore completely, conduct your meeting without us and I will explain everything back at the hive. I assume that the others have told you the news."

"Yes they have, and I must thank you for staying with us."

They shook hands. "No Miller I must thank you. You have been straight and honest with us this whole time, you gave me a second chance at life, and ultimately at seeing my family. Find out what you can from Dumbledore, just don't mention me or who I am. Just a warning about Dumbledore though, he likes to manipulate people a good bit."

"We'll get along just fine then, anything in particular you would like to know?"

"Nothing that your thorough analysis won't cover."

"Okay, will see you soon." He made sure to connect to the correct audio and video channels so that everything would be recorded and if anything Sarge could give him some advice should anything come up.

As Miller left Sarge looked at the Death Eaters before him. "How is Tom these days?" His tone was casual, so utterly at ease, and it made him all the more intimidating.

A feeling of death and utter helplessness washed over the Death Eaters, they could speak now, their mouths could move but nothing came out.

"Let me clue you in on a little something. Do not be scared of Tom. If you are going to be scared of anything at the moment be scared of us, especially Stalker and Snipe." Sarge motioned to the two. "You see Stalker comes from a military family with long standing proficiency interrogation. Snipe on the other hand comes from a very influential mafia family; together they can get anything out of anyone. We will not use veritaserium or any of the unforgivable curses, they only affect the mind and after all, they can be blocked. Now you have a choice, and this is the last choice you will be able to make before you die. Do you suffer pain, tell us what we ask and then die, or do you tell us what we ask and still die?"

"We won't tell you anything. You pathetic muggle, worthless scum sucking piece of shyte."

"Ok. Lets see if we can get comfortable shall we?" Sarge asked. In a flash they were in a dark, dusty room, the cold steel was replaced with cold stone. The Death Eaters looked around, snake statues. There are two people who are able to apparate inside Hogwarts grounds, Albus Dumbledore and Harry Potter."

"What the hell?" JJ asked looking around.

"I apparated us, wasn't sure if it would work but it did."

"You ever do it before?"

"Yes, with two others, Hermione and Ron." The Death Eaters didn't hear any of this of course all they heard was silence.

"That will come in handy, no need for the Hawk now."

"Actually I can only do it over short distances, mainly around Hogwarts, don't know why."

"Fill us in on this stuff later will ya Sarge?" Pyro scanned the room.

"Will do."

Bessy slithered around, checking the tight fitting tunnels. This place has a weird feeling to it. She came back and coiled around the room, keeping an intimidating glance on the Death Eaters.

"Welcome to the chamber of secrets. You no doubt have heard of this place, it is below Hogwarts castle." The Death Eaters looked about even more bewildered and petrified.

"Will you talk now? We have been very courteous to you, much more courteous and accommodating then you are to your prisoners I would imagine." Sarge spoke directly to them, while Snipe and Stalker fished out a few items.

"You really are stupid aren't you? Don't you get it? We're going to rule this sorry world and there is nothing you can do to stop us." The same Death Eater spat.

"You are wrong on all accounts. We are not stupid, maybe a little crazy and daring in some respects but far from stupid. Secondly, you are not going to rule this world because we will stop you. And finally." Sarge stopped his face inches from the Death Eater's he slowly took off his helmet. "I am not a muggle or a wizard. I am Exodus. And we, are so much more."

The Death Eaters were simply pale at this point visibly shaking, sweating, it was shock. When they looked at their Lord Voldemort they saw pure evil, but evil could be talked to, could be coached, soothed, predicted, and even manipulated to some extent. But here, with those eyes that bore into their souls there was no talking to, no evil, no coaching, no hope of survival, there was simply hard cold death.

The BFG has safety flush option where in the event that the gun is damaged and overheats the user can activate it to flush the heat out, this act creates unimaginably hot temperatures at the muzzle of the weapon for the duration of the discharge. This has no ill effects upon the weapon itself, the alloy it is constructed of can easily withstand the temperatures while most other alloys and metal melt.

"Flush engaged." A feminine voice spoke monotonously.

The barrels glowed brightly and blue misty light rolled out of the muzzle cooking the very air itself as it came out. The Death Eater's screams echoed so loudly that even some people within the castle stopped for a second as they heard the bone chilling cry of pain.

"Flush complete."

The Death Eaters body and face were burned away, the flesh burned off, the brilliant white ribcage exposed vividly, but such was the temperature that all the wounds were burned closed so that the Death Eater wouldn't die from blood loss or infection, the searing heat of plasma was gone and he was left gasping out of breath. His lungs felt like fire as he finally managed to inhale the burning air that stripped away at his lungs from the inside, burning them red.

"You're not going to lie to us." It was a statement not a question.

The Death Eater's shook their heads no.

"Good. Where is Tom?"

"We don't know. He moves around all the time, never staying in one place for too long, that's why the Order can never catch him."

"Do you know where he moves to?"

"No." All of the Death Eaters were talking now.

"Do you have any other attacks planned?"

"We don't know. Lord Voldemort gives us orders or the commanders do and we obey."

"Do you know of anything that he might have planned?"

"No."

There was silence from one of the Death Eaters for a second. "Yes."

"What?"

"He is searching for something. Searching frantically for it. Don't know what, we just know that he is, some sort of key, some sort of something."

"Key to what? What something?"

"I don't know, I swear. I managed to overhear a conversation, they were saying that he was getting closer to it. They say that the Lord has been acting strangely lately, that he is focused on something entirely. He wanted the boy James for some reason. Don't know why."

"Anything else you know that I might want to know?" He gave them a few moments to think.

They shook their heads no.

"Burn them to ash." He told Pyro.

Without hesitation an inferno was unleashed upon the Death Eaters, so hot that they didn't even have time to scream in pain as they were turned into a fine black ash.

- - -

Computers that had laid dormant for thousands upon thousands of years flickered to life. Energy reading had been gathered, data assimilated, confirmed, checked, cross-referenced, accepted. Ancient energies flared to bring the heavily shielded facility online, shields were checked, the lone occupant checked for status. Everything was at one hundred percent; ninety five percent would have been acceptable. The mission was a success, so far.

A lone cylinder hissed for a second, its occupant awoken from his deep hibernation. The individual slowly got out of the comfortable cylinder; groggily he made his way over to a lone terminal and checked the readings. Ten thousand years had passed, not too bad, he had hoped it would be quicker but nevertheless not too bad. Calculations showed that there was a fifty-six percent probability that nothing had gone astray. An acceptable probability considering the circumstances. He glanced the most important reading collected so far, nine out of nine matches, two were very close to completion, the other seven were getting there, only a matter of time now. The potentiality was fully developed according to the data; it was the realization that would become the fun part. He briefly wondered in which layer of society humanity's last hope had imbedded itself, it could after all be any.

Taking his time the individual dressed himself in plain yellow white clothing, nothing glaring, he hoped it would pass off for both societies. Then he went back to the terminal after getting a few things to eat and began pouring over various data, probabilities, some acquired by his hide away, others by various probes and scanners scattered across parts of the galaxy. He found it disheartening that the human race had fallen so far from glory, they were perfect, nothing could have stopped them and they would have made things right...but no. Some species were not meant to co-exist. He continued on through the data, catching up one the last fifty thousand years of history. He took time to check the other projects status, to his utter horror he found it a complete loss, and worse still he found it to be under control...the virus had won, the screening had failed. After a few days he decided that he would watch, see how things played out, find out more about the current situation before revealing himself. He only hoped that it wasn't all too late, he kept telling himself he mustn't rush, he can't, has to go at their pace or else everything could fail. After all, humanity was on the brink of extinction.
Sign up to rate and review this story