Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > The Intern

Cars and coffee

by blue-flame 1 review

Gerard is late for his first day at Newark Construction Co.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor, Romance - Characters: Gerard Way - Published: 2007-02-23 - Updated: 2007-02-24 - 1095 words

0Unrated
"Come on... that's it.....right there.....come on baby....that's it......come on......come on....FUCK YEAH!"

Gerard punched the air as his beat up old Toyota Celica finally splutter to life after several minutes of coaxing. Pulling out of the lot he turned up the radio, singing along in a vain attempt to calm his nerves. Not only was it his first day as an intern at Newark Construction Co., but he was late to boot.

He pulled into the company lot at 7.50. Finally relaxing at the realization he was not going to be late; Gerard glanced into the rear view mirror.

Holy hell. Mother fucking dresser. This is not a good look. What the hell is my new boss gunna say when his new intern looks like he got hit by a truck? Aw crap

Gerard's eye sported a deep purple bruise. He ran a hand through his dishevelled and newly cut hair. With no time to shower he settled for running a hand through it as he dashed out the door. Grabbing a tie from his back seat he slung on his backpack and exited the car.

Walking up the stone stoop into his new office building, Gerard took a deep breath before opening the door. Cool air brushed across his pale skin, a sigh escaping his lips at the relief from another stuffy New Jersey summer's day. As he glanced around he shuffled across to the reception desk in the far corner.

"Hi, I'm Gerard Way. I'm a new intern, and I'm not sure where to report to" Gerard shifted uncomfortably under the gaze of the receptionist. The fact she was looking over her thin rimmed glasses like a disapproving teacher seemed to add to his tension. Gerard was desperately wishing he still had long hair, simply to hide behind.
"Hello Gerard, nice to meet you. I'm Christine, Chris for short. If you would like to take a seat, a soon as the other interns arrive Gary will come and collect you for the induction"
"Thanks, nice to meet you to Chris"

Making his way over to a seating area, he smiled weakly at the 2 other interns sat around a small table. The guy on the right was subtly built, with a shaved head and slight beard. He was dressed smartly in a black suit with red tie. If it weren't for the air conditioning he would have baked. Built guy have Gerard a small cursory nod, as eased into the remaining free chair next to him. To the left of built guy sat a relay tall dude with a crazy brown fro. He clearly had some Hispanic family roots. Dressed sharply in a dark green turtle neck and grey slacks, he reached across offering Gerard his hand, taking a fleeting look a his eye.

"Hello, I'm Ray, Gerard right?"
"Yeah Gerard way, nice to meet you"

Both men settled back into their respective chairs. Glancing around Gerard took in his opulent surroundings. Numerous awards stood sparkling on floating glass shelves. The quite hum of conversation drifted in from an open door leading to a drawing office, if he remembered correctly from the interview.

The door opened and a short guy walked in, hair gelled into a faux hawk. Sleeves of his white dress shirt sleeves rolled up to reveal heavily tattooed arms. Suddenly his black eye didn't seem so bad. Short stack spoke to Chris and introduced himself as Frank Iero. Frank strolled across loosening the blue tie around his neck.

"Hi, I'm Frank. You interns too?"
Ray immediately got to his feet again offering his hand. "Hi. Ray. Yes we are also interns. This is Gerard", Ray motion to Gerard, who smiled at frank. Frank smirked back and cocked an eyebrow a he deep purple bruise. "and this is bob" motioning to built guy" Bob let out a small deep mumble and returned to staring at the wall.

"Nice to meet you all" glancing around and finding all the seats taken, Frank put his hands in his pockets and lent against a wall.

After a few minutes of uncomfortable silence passed, Gerard's stomach was in knots. He knew this was a bad idea. He doesn't fit in an office like this. Just as he started to panic a tall man in a pinstripe suit with greying hair walked into the reception area.

"Hello gents, I am Gary, managing director of NCC. If you would like to follow me, we can being"

The four interns stood and followed Gary into a conference suit. Sat around a large conference table Gary went through the induction, what to do in a fire and the general running of the company. After half an hour Gerard was struggling to stay awake. The door was shut and the air conditioning was off, making it all too cosy for the groggy worker. Frank nudged Gerard in the arm. Eyes darting he noticed Gary staring at him.

Oh shit, I dint hear the question. Oh god he's gunna think I'm an idiot or wasn't listening

"Beg pardon?"
"Your eye. What happened, if you don't mind me asking?"
"Hmm, oh yeah, that. I err, hit it on a dresser, Sir" Frank let out a small chuckle, clearing his throat to try and cover it up. Heating up with embarrassment Gerard shifted in his seat, clearly uncomfortable.
"Oh don't be so formal, its first names here. Just Gary will be fine. Since you're nearest the door would you mind nipping to reception and see if the final intern is here? They phoned ahead to say an accident on the interstate would make them late. They should be here by now. Oh, and see if Chris has got the coffee ready yet"
"Yes sir, I mean Gary"

Gerard hopped out of his chair and covered the short distance to the door.

X

"Aleana Hacker, nice to meet you Chris."
"The other interns are in conference room B. I don't suppose you could take the coffee in with you? It would save be getting Rach to cover the phone whilst I do it"
"No problem"

Just once why cant the receptionist be a Brain or Matt. Oh god what if all the other interns are guys? Then again.....


Aleana grabbed the tray and strode across to where a brass plaque was inscribed with Conference Room B. Just as she went to push the door open with her shoulder, it gave way and she went tumbling through.

Gerard stood in shock as hot coffee soaked into his white shirt and dress pants.
Sign up to rate and review this story