Categories > Cartoons > G.I. Joe > Family and Duty

Chapter 4 : Homecoming And So Many Things To Do

by Medic_or_Medic_Lifel 0 reviews

LifeLine has a fwe things to do.

Category: G.I. Joe - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2005-09-16 - Updated: 2005-09-17 - 7295 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer - I do not own GI Joe; Hasbro does, along with Devil's Due and Sunbow

Disclaimer - I do not own GI Joe; Hasbro does, along with Devil's Due and Sunbow. I do not have permission to borrow the characters, but I make no profit from this. I am also using Toby Keith's song "My List" and lyrics without permission. I have also borrowed Eeyore from Disney without permission I am doing this for pure fun, so please do not sue.

Author's notes - A big thanks to Storm O and Scarlett Phoenix for the beta work. I greatly appreciate it. I also want to thank my many readers who keep me going and leave the wonderful reviews. Thank you so much.

Rating - PG 13

By medic (MedicLifeline)

Reviews always welcome.

Chapter 4 : Homecoming And So Many Things To Do

Lifeline stood there on the flightline as his eyes locked with his wife's, ignoring all the others around him. Exhausted but happy, he held her tightly. Carla still had her hand on his cheek, caressing the stubble that Ed had acquired after having spent the last two days on the plane.

"Let's go home, sweetheart," he told Carla, kissing her deeply.

Carla picked up Lisa as Ed carried Jacob to their Jeep Cherokee. Carla began to strap the children into their car seats. As Carla was strapping in the children, Ed began to load his bags into the vehicle. Walking back down the tarmac, he saw Moonpie wave to him. The Joe ran over to Lifeline.

"Lifeline, best of luck to you. I am going on to Joe Base 42," Moonpie said shaking his hand. As Lifeline shook his friend's hand, both of their bracelets shown in the afternoon sun.

"I wish you the best of luck too, Moonpie. I do not get to that Joe Base often, but when I do, I will look you up," Lifeline informed him. "If you see Sandtrap along the way, give him my best."

"I sure will, Lifeline," Moonpie stated, saluting Lifeline. Lifeline returned the salute and watched his friend walk away with his wife.

Grabbing the last of his belongings off the pallet, Lifeline carried it to the Cherokee. As he was loading it, he heard a familiar voice.

"Lifeline! Welcome back. Sorry I am late," Duke said, as he tried to get through the crowd. Lifeline turned around, recognizing Top's voice.

"Duke, Sir, it's great to see you," Lifeline said, holding out his hand to shake shaking the other man's hand. Carla walked up and greeted the tall, blond-haired First Sergeant.

"Duke, what a pleasant surprise!" Lifeline told him.

Looking beyond Duke, Carla spotted Scarlett. The redhead was running their way.

"Sir, it is great to be back," Lifeline informed his Commanding Officer.

"I bet it is. I know you want to get back to your family. I heard you were coming in today. Sorry that I am late but I wanted to be here to greet you," Duke told the medic. Duke surveyed the man before him, whom he had known for years. He looked tired, a bit thinner, and had two days worth of stubble. The Commanding Officer was not used to seeing the Joe medic in that type of shape. But other than that and being dirty, Lifeline seemed to be okay. "I wanted to let you know, you have a few days to spend with your family before returning to the team

"Thanks, Duke," Lifeline said as he wrapped his arm around Carla's waist. Carla looked over to make sure the children were safe. Satisfied, she turned her attention back to her former Commanding Officer.

Scarlett walked up and hugged Lifeline. "Welcome home, Lifeline. The infirmary has not been the same without you," she reassured him.

Lifeline chuckled," I think it survived without me."

"Well, it has, but it's just not the same I assure you," Duke grinned, pulling Scarlett close to him.

"Lifeline, I hope to see you in a few days. Carla, if you need anything just let me know," Scarlett told the two of them, nudging the Commanding Officer to let Lifeline and his family go.

Duke took the hint. "Lifeline, I will see you in a few days, and Carla, it's always great to see you," he replied, shaking the medic's hand, while nodding to the Joe's former doctor.

Both of them watched as Duke and Scarlett disappeared into the masses of soldiers and people.

"Well, that was nice of them," Lifeline told Carla as he closed the hatch. Walking around the jeep, he made sure that two back doors were locked and each set down. Ed chose the passengers seat. Carla started the engine. Ed leaned back in his seat as Carla put the Cherokee in gear and drove them home. Carla and Lifeline returned the waves from fellow soldiers and their families as they made their way off the base.

Lifeline reached for his wife's hand as she drove. His mind flashed back to when he had left. He had held her hand as they drove that time also, as if it was the last time he would. He closed his eyes.

"Ed, are you okay?" Carla asked noticing his silence. She glanced over and saw that her husband's eyes were closed.

Opening his eyes and looking to her, "Yes, Carla. I was just thinking of the last time I did this," he told her softly.

"Oh," Carla quickly answered relieved. Turning around, Ed looked at his two children. Lisa and Jacob were napping. Ed just watched them, both sleeping so peaceful. Both were worn out from the excitement of his coming home.

Ed had realized with sadness that he had missed so much in the last six months. Turning back around, he said," They have grown so much. His son would be three soon, and Lisa will be starting kindergarten this fall. Where had the time gone?

"I know Ed, but they still know and love their father," Carla reassured him, squeezing his hand tightly. "I showed them your picture everyday to remind them of you."

Carla turned onto their street. After driving by several houses, she reached the house on base, which they had called home now for a few years.

"I was afraid they would forget me," Ed answered, looking out the passenger window.

Carla pulled the Cherokee in the drive. Ed waited for Carla to turn off the engine before getting out. He went around the jeep to open the door for his wife, momentarily stopping as they embraced each other Ed went to open the door and she held him there for a moment. "Ed, I would never let them forget their father."

Ed turned back to her and hoarsely answered as he held back his tears. "I know Carla," he said, leaning over to kiss her. As the kiss ended, he looked back at the children. "We are home, guys," he told the small sleeping children.

Undoing their belts, Carla and Ed got out of the Cherokee and opened the back doors. Lifeline unbuckled Lisa's straps as she reached and clung to her Father. Meanwhile, Carla lifted Jacob out of his car seat.

"Daddy! Daddy, you are home,' Lisa giggled as she hugged her father.

"Daddy," Jacob squealed as he squirmed in Carla's arms.

"Okay," Ed laughed as they walked up the drive to the front door. Carla unlocked the door and all of them walked inside. Ed realized that he was finally home when exhaustion washed over him. Setting his daughter down, she clung to his leg and Jacob grabbed the other one. Ed walked as they giggled while holding onto his long legs. Reaching the chair in the kitchen, he sat down and both children let go and climbed onto his lap. Jacob reached up and took his father's boonie hat and placed it on his head. Lisa clung tightly to him. Ed hugged them both as he laughed at Jacob wearing the hat, which was ten times too big for him. His little eyes peeked out from under the brim. Carla stood off to the side laughing, tears running down her face. She was thrilled her husband home and that their family was reunited again.

Seeing how tired her husband was and knowing that he still had to get his gear out of the Cherokee yet, she told the children, "Lisa and Jacob, let's get cleaned up for dinner."

"But mom," Lisa begged.

Ed looked down to his daughter. "Lisa, please go with your mother," he said, kissing her on the head.

Lisa looked at her father her eyes wide. "Your not leaving again are you, Daddy?"

Ed hugged his daughter, "No, Lisa. I do not plan on going anywhere for a while." Ed understood his daughter's fear at that moment. Carla walked over to them, picking up Jacob and holding him. "My, you look just like Daddy in that hat, Jacob." Carla smiled at him his eyes shining. Lisa slid off her father's lap and reached for her mother's hand. As they walked to the stairs, Lisa looked back to her father, who was sitting on the kitchen chair.

Ed watched them go up the stairs, sighing. He stood up and stretched. Walking out to the Cherokee as the children bathed, he looked over to the home that Ron and Courtney shared, both Mustangs were gone. Ed figured that they were on an assignment. Reaching in the jeep, he grabbed two bags and walked back to the house. He dropped them in the dining room and then walked back out to get his pack and two other bags. He closed the hatch of the jeep and walked back into the house, dropping off his luggage. When he walked back down the hall, the children ran to him, "Did you get cleaned up?"

"Yes, we did, Daddy," Lisa nodded her head. "Jaky, did too."

Jacob ran down the hall with Ed's hat still on. "What do you say little man? You like that hat?" Ed asked his son, picking him up and holding him high in the air. Jacob started to giggle.

"Jacob reached up and clutched the hat. "You can wear it till dinner, okay?" Ed replied. "Now, you both go play while I get cleaned up," Ed said and placed his son back on the floor.

"Okay, Daddy, will you play with us?" Lisa asked.

"I sure will, but I need to get cleaned up now, Lisa. I am pretty dirty." Ed smiled to his daughter.

"Come on, Jaky," Lisa said taking her younger brothers hand. "Let's go play." Lisa led Jacob down the hall, the hat dangling on Jacob's back.

Ed laughed, walking to Carla. Hugging her, he said "Honey, I am going to get cleaned up." He untied his boots and placed them by the back door.

"You'd better," she said cocking an eyebrow towards him. "I can fix dinner while you are doing that." Leaning over, she whispered into his ear, "When you are done with dinner and if the children don't tire you too much, we have some time to ourselves.."

Ed gave her a shocked look. "Really?"

"Really," she answered, kissing him tenderly.

"Well, I'd better hurry then," Ed answered. Walking out of the kitchen and up the stairs, Ed stopped. He listened to the laughter of his children before he continued towards the bedroom they shared. Opening the drawer, he grabbed a pair of blue jeans and tee shirt. He headed into the bathroom and started to strip off his desert BDUs, letting them fall in a pile on the bathroom floor. Turning on the shower, Ed stepped in as the warm water began to run over his body. He thought about the luxury of having warm water as the steam filled the bathroom.

When he finished his shower, he dried off with a fluffy towel and stepped out onto a soft rug. For a moment, he wiggled his toes into the scrap of carpet before he dressed and then tossed his dirty uniform in the clothes hamper. Walking over to the bed, he sat down and ran his hand over the comforter. He spied her lab coat hanging on the chair, she had given up quite a bit the day she married him.

She had a thriving practice and several other things since leaving the service, but she never complained and always told him that she could not have done better. She would do it all gain because their love was enough for her. He sat there, putting on a pair of socks and lying down for a moment on the soft comforter. As his body began to relax, he could smell dinner cooking. He had been cooking her breakfast as a surprise the day he left. He smiled to himself, remembering that he often felt that he could not have done better and that he was the lucky one.

Figuring that he had better get up, he sat up, amazed at how refreshed he felt from the quick, hot shower and brief rest. He stood up and stretched. Walking back down the hall and the stairs, he watched Carla prepare dinner. He knew she had to be tired, and Ed had not thought about going out. He was exhausted also. Carla hummed a tune as she cooked, a smile on her face, not realizing her husband was watching.

Slowly walking up behind Carla, he wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her neck, "I am so glad I am home," he whispered.

Carla let her husband's arms wrap themselves around her slender waist, holding her tightly as she cooked. She had missed his touch and his presence more than anyone could say. She savored his embrace and then watched him from the corner of her eye as he set the table for dinner. A smile rested upon her lips as she turned back to put the finishing touches on their meal. Her lips curled into a warmer grin as she watched him corral the rambunctious kids, thankful to have him safely home and by her side again.

After a wonderful meal, Ed could not have asked for anything more. His stomach was full of the delicious food, which Carla had prepared especially for him. He enjoyed the conversation and tried to decipher what his kids were telling him, the children spoke at the same time and drowning each other out. Just as he was ready to say closing grace, his wife did something unexpected. She walked to the freezer and pulled out the vanilla bean ice cream. Ed's eyes grew wide behind his glasses, and Lisa squealed, "Ice cream, Jakey!"

Jacob started to smile, recognizing the word 'ice cream'.

"You didn't, Carla?" Ed asked, smiling as he saw that it was his favorite flavor.

"I did," Carla grinned, reaching for some bowls.

As Ed ate the ice cream, he savored the taste of it. One never realized what they missed until they did without it for a span of time. Spending most of their time in the hot sun, the group had talked of their favorite ice creams to get their mind off of where they were and to feel like they were at home. Ed's eyes turned dark with sorrow, recalling the friends he had lost. As he sat at home with his family, it dawned on him that there would be no home coming for them. Lost in his thoughts, Ed had not realized that he had stopped eating.

"Ed, are you alright?" Carla asked, concerned at seeing her husband sitting there, staring at his ice cream.

Coming out of his thoughts, Ed looked at his wife. "Yes, I am. Sorry Carla, I just had something on my mind."

Carla nodded a quiet understanding as her eyes caught sight of the killed-in-action bracelets that her husband wore. Shifting her eyes down to her own bowl, she held back the tears that threatened to spill, knowing that someone could have been wearing her husband's name on their wrist at this moment. Collecting herself, she asked, "Ed, are you finished, Hon?"

Ed quietly answered, "Yes Carla, I think I am." He picked up his bowl and the children's before he walked over and loaded them into the dishwasher. Picking up a washrag, he washed Lisa's and Jacob's small hands and faces. "You are a gooey mess," he told both of them as Carla finished putting leftovers from dinner in the refrigerator.

Ed looked at the children. "Let's go play gang." Both children giggled and shrieked with delight. Ed lifted Jacob out of the high chair.

As Ed played with the children, it was Carla's turn to watch the three of them play, her heart swelling nearly brought her to tears. Ed may not have been home very often; but when he was, he always made up for the time he lost with his family. After playing a while longer, Jacob started to yawn.

"I think it is about time for bed," Ed softly said, picking up Jacob and looking at Lisa. "I think it is getting close to yours also, Lisa."

Lisa stared at her father. "Daddy...will you be here when I wake up?"

Ed kneeled down to his daughter's level. "I sure will Honey."

Carla gave each child a kiss goodnight. Lisa grabbed her teddy bear and started to follow her father up the stairs, dragging her favorite stuffed animal behind her. Ed tucked in each of his children. He made sure that Jacob had his favorite blanket. He paused as Lisa said her nightly prayers before arranging her blankets and making sure she had Mr. Eeyore and her teddy bear.

Turning out the light, he heard Lisa say, "I love you, Daddy."

"I love you too, Lisa," he softly told her.

Going back down the stairs, Ed saw Carla standing there. He held out his arms as she ran into them. They were alone, and he held her tightly, kissing her and whispering, "Let's go to bed."

Looking up into the eyes of her husband, Carla whispered, "I love you" as they both went up the stairs to retire for the night.

Under an old brass paperweight is my list of things to do today

Go to the bank and the hardware store, put a new lock on the cellar door

I cross 'em off as I get 'em done but when the sun is set

There's still more than a few things left I haven't got to yet


The next morning, Ed woke up to a beautiful, sunny day outside. He was shocked at the time since it was after nine in the morning and the house was still asleep. Carla was still sleeping. Trying to be as quiet as possible, he slipped out of bed. Hearing her moan, he stopped. When he figured she returned to sleeping, he quietly snuck out of bed. Picking up a pair of jeans and a tee shirt, he walked into the bathroom and changed into them. After he brushed his teeth and combed his hair, he quietly left the bedroom and closed the door behind him. Ed made his way down the hall and to the ground floor to the den where their desk was. Carla had an old brass paperweight sitting on the desk with things to do. While he was gone, she had done everything.

The list included trips the bank and the hardware store for a new lock on the back door. There were several other things on the list. Taking a paper and making a note, he picked up the jeep keys and his wallet. He wrote her a note letting her that he would be back soon, and hearing the patter of feet, that the children would be with him, signing it at the end with "All my love Ed." Walking out of the den, he saw Lisa.

"Good morning, Beautiful," he whispered. "Did you want to go with Daddy?"

"Where are we going?" Lisa asked. "Can Jaky go too?"

Ed smiled. "I have to run a few errands. If you are quiet and do not wake Mom, I want to take you and Jacob," Ed told her, picking her up and kissing her on the head. "Shhhh," Ed told her as he carried her up the stairs.

Carrying her to her room and setting her down, Lisa ran to the dresser and pulled out her favorite pair of overalls while Ed found a shirt. He helped her dress and combed her hair. Lisa put on her shoes and tried to tie them. "Better luck next time, Sweetheart. We will try again later," Ed encouragingly told her. Taking her hand, he led her to Jacob's room.

"Jake, get up. Daddy is taking us somewhere," Lisa whispered.

Jacob heard his name and slowly opened his eyes, rubbing them with his tiny hands.

"Good morning Jacob," Ed told him, picking him up and hugging his son. "I have to get you dressed." Ed dressed and changed Jacob. As Ed started to leave Jacob's room, Jacob pointed to Ed's boonie on the door. Smiling and reaching down, Ed picked up the hat and placed it on his son's head. "Son, you look good in that hat." Secretly, Ed hoped that his son would not follow in his footsteps, but knowing if he did, he would not love him any less.

Talking Lisa by the hand and leading her down the stairs, Ed stopped in the kitchen to leave his note.

Carla,

The children and I went to the bank and the hardware store.

I did not want to wake you. We will be back soon.

All my love, Ed


Ed led them out the door, closing and locking it behind him. Strapping the children in the car seats, Ed climbed in and started the engine. He pulled out of the drive.

As Ed left, Carla had started to wake. Her eyes opened, realizing her husband was not in bed. Looking around, she saw the door was closed. Stretching and getting up, "Ed?" she called softly but did not get an answer. Reaching for her robe, she put it on.

Walking and opening the bedroom door, she headed towards the children's rooms but stopped when she saw that they were gone also. "Where in the world are they?"/ /she asked out loud, walking down the stairs. Reaching the kitchen, she saw a piece of paper on the counter. Picking it up and reading it, a smile crossed her face. Ed was always trying to let her sleep, so they ran the errands she had on the list. It was just like Ed to try to get several things done instead of resting.

Ed drove to the bank and found a place to park. Lisa held his hand as they walked, while Jacob rested in his arms. Walking in, the clerk behind the desk smiled at him, recognizing Ed.

"Welcome home, Sgt. Steen," she cheerfully greeted, "How may I help you?"

"I would like to make a payment on one of the loans," Ed told her, pulling out the checkbook.

Lisa watched her father set Jacob on the chair as he played with the hat that he wore. "What are you doing, Daddy?" Lisa asked her father, looking back to the pretty lady behind the desk.

"I am giving Mrs. Todd some money that we owe her." Ed smiled as he made out the check. "I would also like to withdraw some money from our account."

"Yes, Sgt. Steen. The amount please?"

Ed told her the amount and she processed the transaction, counting out the cash he had requested. As Ed placed the cash in his wallet, she handed each child a lollypop.

"Thank you," Lisa said, reaching for the candy as Jacob tried to thank her also. Picking up Jacob and taking Lisa's hand Ed thanked Mrs. Todd, and left.

Ed drove to the hardware store. "Daddy, where are we?" Lisa asked.

"We are at the hardware store. I need to buy a new lock for the back door," Ed answered as they walked to the counter. Lisa and Jacob stared with wide eyes at all the items in the hardware store as Ed asked the clerk for a new lock and told him what he wanted. The clerk went and picked out the lock that Ed had requested. After paying for their purchase, they waved and were on their way.

Before Ed went home, he stopped for fuel, seeing the gauge was reading low. Pulling into the gas station, he quickly filled the tank. "Now if Carla gets called out, she will not have to worry about having to stop in the middle of the night," Ed told himself as he paid at the pump with his gas card. He waved to the children. who peered out at their father as he replaced the gas hose.

Climbing back in, he started to drive. Ed spotted a young woman selling roses on the corner. Pulling over, he smiled to her and asked her for the last red rose she had. Thanking her, he placed the rose on the front seat.

"On to Mom," Ed told the children. Looking at his watch, he realized Carla would be awake by now. Driving back to the base, Ed reached the street they lived on in base housing. Pulling in the drive and turning off the Cherokee, Ed chimed, "We're here guys."

Carla heard them pull up and opened the door.

"Mommy!" Lisa and Jacob cried seeing her standing there.

Ed got out and unstrapped both children, setting them on the grass. Each child took off running into their mother's arms.

"Were you good?" she asked both of them, knowing the answer. "Are you hungry? I can make lunch."

Both of the children hugged their mother, nodding their heads that they were good and maybe hungry.

Ed walked up with the bag in his hand and kissed his wife. "I did not want to wake you," he told her, "so we went on a few errands." Ed had put the flower behind his back and pulled it out to hand it to her.

"Oh, Ed," Carla happily said, smelling the rose as he followed her into their house. All of them walked in, and Carla placed the rose in a bud vase on the kitchen table. The petals were beginning to open in the sun.

After fixing a few sandwiches, Ed and Carla ate lunch along with the children.

Go for a walk, say a little prayer

Take a deep breath of mountain air

Put on my glove and play some catch

It's time that I make time for that

Wade the shore and cast a line

Look up a long lost friend of mine

Sit on the porch and give my girl a kiss

Start livin', that's the next thing on my list



Wouldn't change the course of fate but cuttin' the grass just had to wait

'Cause I've GOT more important things like pushin' my kid on the backyard swing

I won't break my back for a million bucks I can't take to my grave

So I'll put off for tomorrow what I could get done today

Like go for a walk, say a little prayer

Take a deep breath of mountain air

Put on my glove and play some catch

It's time that I make time for that

Wade the shore and cast a line

Look up a long lost friend of mine

Sit on the porch and give my girl a kiss

Start livin', that's the next thing on my list



Raise a little hell, laugh 'til it hurts

Put an extra five in the plate at church

Call up my folks just to chat

It's time that I make time for that

Stay up late, then oversleep

Show her what she means to me

Catch up on all the things I've always missed

Just start livin', that's the next thing on my list



As they cleaned up the lunch dishes, Ed looked to Carla and asked, "Do you want to go for a walk, Honey? I can fix the lock later."

"Sure, Ed, I would like that. We can go to the park down the street," Carla answered happily. "You and Jacob can take his baseball glove. You know he has tried to practice with me, but it is not the same. Lisa has quite a throw on her, too."

Ed grinned, "Come on, guys. Let's go to the park. Jacob and Lisa get your gloves." Both children were ecstatic; they were getting to go the park and play ball with their father. The park was one of two located in their housing addition on base, giving the children a choice of places to play.

With the sun shining, Carla and Ed walked to the nearest park with the children. Jacob still wore his father's hat, and Lisa held her mother's hand. Ed firmly held Carla's other hand as they walked. Reaching the park, they found a grassy place and Carla threw a blanket down then took seat. Ed helped both children with their gloves. Taking the small ball, he tossed it to Jacob first. "Catch, Jacob." Jacob reached out with his small hands, running to the ball as his father tossed it. He caught it in his small glove and held it up for all to see. Jacob tossed the ball just short of Ed, who reached down to pick it up.

"Way to go, Jacob!" both Ed and Carla exclaimed at the same time.

Next, it was Lisa's turn. "Ready, Lisa?'" Ed asked as Carla watched. He, once again, gently tossed the ball, this time to Lisa. She had wanted to play catch, and Ed and Carla never believed in the "for boys only" motto, so Ed and Carla played catch with both the children. Lisa missed but picked up the ball, and threw it into her father's glove..

"YAY! Lisa!" both proud parents cheered. They played ball a bit longer before moving to the swing sets. They pushed both children on the swings. As the afternoon progressed, Ed and Carla started the walk home from the park with the children, all of them having a wonderful time at the park.

Getting closer to home, Ed realized that he saw Dusty's Mustang in the driveway. "Carla, I think Ron is home," Ed commented.

Carla looked to the driveway. "Courtney's car is still gone. Do you want to talk to him?" Carla asked, reaching for Jacob.

"I will only be a minute, I promise," Ed leaned over kissing her. Carla took the children indoors to get them cleaned up for dinner.

He walked to the door and rang the doorbell. As Ed waited for a answer, he turned to look at his yard next door./ He needed to cut the grass/. "I will do it tomorrow...This is my first day home. The grass can wait another day. It does not look that bad yet."

While Ed was waiting, Dusty was unpacking, wondering who was ringing the doorbell. Walking towards the door, he saw a tall man standing there. Dusty said to himself, "No,/ it can't be Ed....Could it?" /Dusty pondered as he walked closer to the door, wondering if his best friend had made it home from deployment. Dusty had not heard anything of the Joe medic returning, but then he had not stopped by the administrative office that day

Opening the door, Dusty asked, "Ed? Is that you?" realizing his best friend was standing on his porch,

Ed turned around, seeing his friend for the first time in months. "Ron? How are you?" Ed asked, holding out his hand.

Dusty clasped his best friend's hand in a firm handshake and pulled him into a hug. "Ed, I'm so glad that you are back," he said, releasing his friend and slapping him on the back. "Come in, Come in," Dusty said, holding the door open.

Ed stepped inside. "I just have a minute. I saw your car home and wanted to say hello. Carla is getting the children ready for dinner," Ed grinned, still overjoyed at seeing his friend.

"When did you get back?' Dusty asked.

"I came in yesterday afternoon," Ed replied. "I am so happy to be home."

"We missed ya, Ed," Dusty answered. "The infirmary has not been the same since you left and I think Dr. Stephen misses you also," Dusty told him as they walked into the living room.

"You know, the next day we are off, Ed, how about we go fishing? We have not done that in a while?" Dusty asked, walking into the kitchen to get them both some water.

Ed accepted the glass and took a drink. "That would be great. I have not gone fishing in years."

"You still know how to use a pole right?" the younger desert trooper joked with the older medic.

"I think I can be refreshed in that subject, Ron," Ed laughed.

After taking another drink of water, Ed said, "I'd better get back home, Ron. I know you have unpacking to do, and you said Courtney is due home this evening. If I do not see her, tell her hello for me." Ed handed the glass back to Dusty. "Thank you for the water."

"I sure will tell her, Ed. I know she will be thrilled to hear that you are home. Dusty led Ed to the front door, and with a last handshake, Ed left and walked to his house next door, happy to have seen his best friend.

Walking in, he noticed that Carla was fixing a light dinner. The children were getting tired from the long day they had. After eating dinner, Ed went upstairs to help give the children a bath and put them to bed. Both fell asleep quickly. It was still early in the evening, and Ed figured he could call his father a bit later.

Looking outside and seeing that it was a nice night, Ed asked, "Carla, how about we go and sit on the porch swing for a while? We can leave the door open. You and I can do the dishes later." He took her hand and led her outside.

Reaching for a light blanket in the cool spring air, they sat down on the swing. Ed wrapped the blanket around the two of them. He pulled her close to him as she leaned on his chest. He snuggled next to and held Carla tight.

Ed lightly rocked the swing as they sat there, his mind going to his family and his wife, whom he had missed so much in the last six months. Between the children and Carla, he felt like he abandoned them at times. He had been so blessed by them all. He wanted to make up for all the time he had lost while he was gone, anyway he could. Holding Carla close, he kissed her on the head. His breath tickled as it blew through her hair.

Stroking her long tresses with his free hand, his mind thinking of how incredibly lucky he was to be home. Several of his teammates, including two of his closest friends, were killed the week before he was sent home. He could only imagine the sorrow their loved ones were going through right now. As they sat there in the cool, spring air, Ed realized he had forgotten about the gift he had picked up for her

"Carla, Honey, I will be right back," Ed softly told her as he got up from the swing Carla wondered where her husband was going. She wrapped the blanket around herself to stay warm now that the heat of his body was gone. Ed stretched his long frame as he walked inside their house.

It seemed strange that he had been gone for six months, but after spending today with his family, it felt as if he had never left. His heart and mind knew differently. Walking over to his bags, he stood there, trying to recall in which bag he had packed the necklace in. It was not much, but he was happy that his friend was able to acquire it for him before Cobra's reoccupation of the village. He opened the bags and began to search, shuffling stuff around and seeing the dust and sand. He finally found the small pouch.

He had not told Carla of his small gift to her. He held the box in his hand as he walked back out on the porch, taking a seat next to Carla as she wrapped the blanket back around the tow of them. Ed noticed that she was wearing the bracelet, which he had made her of parachute cord. "How long have you been wearing that?" Ed asked, holding her wrist to look at the bracelet.

"I was just going to ask you if you were okay, Ed," she softly replied. "I have been wearing it since you sent it to me at Christmas," Carla proudly stated. It had not seemed like much to many people, but to Carla, it was priceless because Ed had made it for her and made it with love. Nothing bought would ever compare to it.

Ed sat there a moment stunned. "I am fine now, Carla. I am home, and I have my family again," Ed answered pulling her close. "I have something for you."

With his arms wrapped around her, he slowly opened the pouch and pulled out the thin silver necklace with a tiny charm and placed it on her neck.

Carla felt the necklace slip around her neck, and with her hand, she gently lifted the thin chain to see the small charm. "Ed. Where did you get this?" she asked shocked.

"I had a teammate get it in a small village before it was overtaken by COBRA again," Ed answered, tightly squeezing her. "He had asked if I wanted anything while he was out on the patrol. We were getting along with the locals pretty well," Ed stopped, not needing to say more.

"It is beautiful, thank you," she said looking up and placing her hand on his cheek. She pulled him closer toward her and kissed him. As they sat on the swing, rocking, Carla and Ed saw a set of headlights coming down the street. They recognized the sound of the car as Courtney's.

"I guess Ron will be happy," Carla grinned.

"Yes, I know he will be. He was looking forward to her possibly getting home this evening when I spoke to him this afternoon," Ed smiled. They watched Courtney park her Mustang and getting out, oblivious to the happy couple sitting on the porch next door. Running to her front door, Courtney was unable to get to her husband's arms fast enough.

Sitting there a little longer, Carla asked, "It is getting a bit chillier. Shall we go inside?"

"I believe you are right," Ed answered as they both stood up, walking in with the blanket wrapped around them. Carla rubbed her arms trying to get warm as Ed closed the door behind them.

"I'd better go check on the children," Carla told Ed.

"I can go with you, Carla," Ed smiled, walking up the stairs behind his wife. They walked to each room, peeking in on their sleeping children. Both children slept soundly as their parents watched. Making their way back down to the living room, Ed asked, "You feel like a movie?"

"That sounds like fun," Carla agreed. "I can go make some popcorn."

"What shall we watch?" Ed asked, walking to the stack of movies that were put up high, out of the way of little hands.

"I would like something to make me laugh," Carla replied, starting to walk to the kitchen for the microwave popcorn. Ed picked out the movie and set up the DVD player. The phone rang. Answering the phone, Ed heard his father's voice on the other end. Things had started to look up for him and his father's relationship after Steph's wedding, which had been a turning point for both Steens. Ed could hear the popcorn popping and the smell saturated the room. His mouth watered as he spoke to his father. His father was just making sure his son was alright.

Carla had heard the phone ring, wondering who was calling hearing her husband. She overheard Ed talking and realized that it was her father-in-law. Smiling, she had known how bad things had been between her husband and his father over the years but relieved that in the end the two men could grow closer. The popcorn finished popping; she poured it into a bowl.

She walked into the room and with a motion of her hand told Ed to keep talking with his father. Carla took a seat on the sofa. Ed talked a bit longer before hanging up.

"Sorry, it took so long," Ed apologized. "Dad send his love, and so does Steph."

"Do not worry about it, Hon. I know they were ecstatic about you coming home," she said taking a seat.

Ed sat down with her, wrapping his arm around her shoulder as she held the bowl of popcorn. Ed started the movie. They both laughed until tears ran down their faces. Neither had laughed so hard in a long time, nearly rolling on the floor at the movie. It had always been one of their favorites. As the movie ended, both of them sat there for a minute. Ed removed his glasses wiping his eyes from laughing so hard. Carla's side hurt. Both reflected that it had been a while since having such a enjoyable night.

"I never tire of that movie," Carla chuckled. "I had a wonderful day, Ed."

"I did too, " Ed commented,"I look forward to so many more."

As he held his wife, she turned on the late night news. The report was showing that COBRA had attacked some more of area from where Ed had just returned. They announced that several more soldiers were wounded. Ed sighed and pulled his wife tighter. Carla could tell her husband was upset by the news report but preferred not to say anything. Instead, she said," You know, Ed, I know how to make this day complete," she said, cocking a eyebrow and turning off the television.

Ed looked to his beautiful wife, the gears in his mind working. He hoped that she had the same idea planned as he did, "What is that per se?" he grinned, leaning forward and kissing her.

Breaking the kiss, Carla softly spoke, "Follow me upstairs and I will show you," as she stood.

Ed reached for and took her hand. "Anything you want, Carla," he said as they started to walk toward the stairs.

Carla spied the dishes. "I forgot them," she sighed.

"Do not worry, Carla, I will do them while you are at work tomorrow," Ed reassured her. As they reached the stairs, Ed stopped, "Carla, Honey, I will be right up."

Carla looked to her husband. "Do not be long," she whispered, walking up the stairs.

"I promise you, I will not be long," he said, walking to the den. He turned on the light and saw his list of things to do. He scratched a few things off of it and added a few more things to do tomorrow. He carefully replaced the paperweight.

Walking to the door and turning off the light, Ed smiled. He walked up the stairs to be with his wife. He had a lot of catching up to do.

Under an old brass paperweight

Is my list of things to do today
Sign up to rate and review this story