Categories > Cartoons > G.I. Joe > Lifeline's Journal:A Day In The Life Of A G.I. Joe Medic

Chapter 2 - Funeral For The Fallen

by Medic_or_Medic_Lifel 0 reviews

Just as the title states.

Category: G.I. Joe - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst - Characters: Beach Head, Duke, Flint, Hawk, Lady Jaye, Scarlett, Other - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2005-09-17 - Updated: 2005-09-18 - 1025 words

0Unrated

Disclaimer: Please refer to chapter 1 for disclaimer. Once again thanks to Storm O and Scars Phonex for all your help.
By: Medic (MedicLifeline)
Rated - PG13
Feedback welcome

Chapter 2 - Funeral For The Fallen

I woke up early this morning; my nerves were jittery. Today was the funeral for Doc C, and the other teammates we lost. I wanted to make sure my Class A's were in top form, so I inspected my service ribbons and other items on my dress jacket with a ruler at least four times, making sure everything was in its proper place.

It was an honor for me to participate in the funeral by being in the Color Guard; however, since I will not touch a weapon, that meant no part of the twenty-one gun salute Carl was a modest man and would have been shaking his head at all the arrangements. We had talked a few times of death and what each of us wanted should our time on earth end unexpectedly. He had wished for a simple ceremony with his friends and loved ones.Well, he had all his friends, but sorry Carl, no simple ceremony.

The funeral itself was, quite frankly, one of the most moving ceremonies I have ever been to, even if it was just for the team. Earlier today this morning, our fallen comrades were laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetary. None of us were allowed to attend the funeral service in Washington D.C., since technically, we do not exist.

My thoughts turned to Doc C's family, as I wondered what they had been told of his passing. Much like him, if I am killed in combat, the only thing my sister, Stephanie, and Dad will know was that I died serving my country. They will never know how it happened or why or even where, including any of the medals I have been awarded. The only way they might know is if this journal is delivered along with my things. But, I have a strong feeling this book will be confiscated, if that should happen. I wondered about my own funeral... Would my father's views of me change?

Those of us attending the service and those being honored could not have asked for better weather. It was as if the fallen wanted us to know, that even amongst the sadness, that things will get better and that we all will get past this horrendous tragedy. Today was beautiful; the sun was out, and the skies were blue. Flint played Taps on the bugle. The song carried across the compound, moving and bittersweet. Hawk spoke of their dedication, pride, and courage. I could not agree with him more. By time his speech wasover, there was not a dry eye amongst us. Duke took the podium next and spoke of each one of them individually and of how they made the team whole. He said that although there may be a void now in all our hearts, their memories would live as long as they are not forgotten. I know none of them will ever be forgotten, especially Doc C, at least not by me.

Near the end of the ceremony, I saw Lift Ticket, Wild Bill, Ace, and Scarlett leave their seats to prepare for the fly over. As they left, several of my teammates came up to the podium to speak. Each told of fond memories of our fallen friends. Since I was part of the Color Guard, I gave my speech to Cover Girl. I stayed up most of the night, after getting my uniform together, trying to figure out what to say. There was so much to say about Doc C because he was not only a friend but also a mentor as I have mentioned. I watched as Cover Girl spoke; her hands trembled as she talked of Quick Kick and his famous actor movie impersonations. There were quite a few chuckles in the crowd at a few of the lines he always used. I could not help but smile also. Cover Girl read my speech and glanced over to me once in a while as I stood there. My mind replaying all of the memories as she read them off, just like they had happened yesterday. But now, they were just those... memories.

As I stood looking at the faces of my teammates, the funeral reminded me of the ones my father used to participate in. After my mother died of cancer, my father got saved and became a preacher. I was ten, and Steph was six. It also brought back memories of my best friend's death, which was why I left the Seattle fire department..It also brought back memories of his sister, Abby, to whom I had been engaged. I had not thought of them in several years...

As we stood in the warm breeze of the desert, we awaited the fly over. You could hear the Sky Strikers coming in low and fast. They were in perfect formation when the pilot, representing the fallen men, veered away from the other jets, rocketing skyward and leaving a noticeable hole in the formation. I watched the missing man maneuver, casting my eyes heavenward, shedding a tear as I gazed at the breathtaking move and mourned the loss of my friends and comrades.

I have seen it done only a few other times; but this time, it will remain etched in my memory forever. It was a fitting tribute to all of them. Shortly after they flew over, the twenty-one gun salute began .the shots ringing in my ears.Breaking the silance. Afterwards, we were dismissed. I walked over to Carl's marker and took off the 'Star of Life' /charm that hung on my dog tags. Stephanie had given the charm to me when I graduated paramedic school and got my first job as a paramedic. The charm was engraved on the back. It read: /Helping make the world a better place for all mankind.

I laid it on top the marker./ Yes, Carl...You made this place a better place for all mankind...I will surely miss you./
Sign up to rate and review this story