Categories > Cartoons > Class of the Titans > Could It be....Graduation?

Far Away

by Shae-Thalia 6 reviews

Together for all Eterntity

Category: Class of the Titans - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Published: 2007-03-10 - Updated: 2007-03-11 - 3111 words

1Moving
This chapter was not going to be written until I came by some bad news. A girl I knew but did not know very well was murdered by her boyfriend of 3 years. The last part is what I want to say and just as a note. You never think it will happen. If you you girls or guys are in a relationship you are uncomfortable about please speak up. You never know... She taught me a lesson that may sound chezzy but it was her mentality. Live life to the fullest and seize the day. Live each one as though it is your last.

Atlanta lay in her bed at home. Her head rested tiredly on her pillows. She had graduated a couple of years ago. She was attending the local university and still lived in the Brownstone, with her university friend, Cassie. Herry and Neil stilled called the Brownstone home. Herry was a mechanic; while Neil was a well sought after model and he began to do some minor acting.

When she returned to the high school as a senior the headaches had started. As the year progressed the headaches got worse, until her vision began to blur. When she had gone to the doctor she had learned some bad news, she had a tumor in her brain which was pressing on her ocular nerves.

She attended chemo to shrink the tumor and it was successful at first. She graduated with honors, but didn't attend grad. After she had said good bye to Archie, Theresa and Jay she hadn't talked to them much. With the time difference Jay and Theresa were too busy to talk. And Atlanta wondered if Archie remembered her.

Atlanta's parents had tried to talk her in to going home but Atlanta had wanted to stay.

A knock sounded on her door.

"Come in," her voice was harsh and dry.

Herry entered.

"Hey Herry" she said raising her hand up to greet him.

He smiled, "Hey Lanta you up for some visitors?"

She groaned, "As long as it's not my parents"

He laughed knowing how obsessive and over tentative her parents had been to her. He shook his head, "No its not them"

He left and then a girl with orange hair entered, her hand linked with a brunette boy.

"Jay? Theresa?" Atlanta gasped out in shock as the two came up to her bedside.

"Hey Lannie," Theresa said sitting down besides her smoothing the bed covers around her.

Atlanta looked up at her leader; her face just glowing.

"How's it going Atlanta?" he asked concerned.

"It's going; I have my good days and my bad. Sadly this is one of my bad days..." Atlanta said quietly.

Jay nodded and comfortably ran his hand over her brown hair. She had yet to dye it her signature bold,fiery red color since her hair grew back

"What are you guys doing here?" her eyes asked, sparkling happily to see them.

"Herry called us, he told us what had happened and so we took next year off and wanted to come stay with you."

"You guys didn't have too" Atlanta protested as Theresa stood up.

"Don't worry about it Atlanta," Theresa soothed, "We will talk to you later. Get some rest."

Atlanta's eyes flickered shut, as Jay and Theresa shut the door and headed down to the living room.

They entered the living room seeing Atlanta's mom, and siblings, Herry and Neil sitting there quietly.

Theresa went and hugged Atlanta's mom her eyes wet with tears.

"We are sorry we didn't tell you about how bad she was," Atlanta's mom replied returning the hug as Jay settled her down on the love seat.

"Has anyone called Archie?" Jay finally asked. "Or where is Odie for that matter?"

"Odie is studying in California," Herry replied, "He will be here in a couple of days. And no one has gotten a hold of Archie."

Jay nodded and pulled out his battered PMR.

He stood up and excused himself, and went outside.

"Archie here," static raged over the old PMR.

"Archie, I'm glad to finally able to contact you; its Jay listen how soon can you come back?"

"Where is back? I'm not going to Greece." Archie's voice came in loud and clear.

"Back to the Brownstone," Jay replied, "Archie we will pay for flight tickets you just got to get back here as soon as you can"

"Why?" Archie asked.

"To see Atlanta, she isn't doing so well." Jay sighed and his eyes filled with tears, "She's dying, Arch. She may not make it to September."

The silence over the PMR made Jay questioned whether or not Archie had heard him.

"I'm on my way. I will see you in a couple of days." Archie hung up.

Jay nodded and wandered back inside quietly and met Theresa's eyes as she met him by the door.

"Archie is on his way," he said as he took Theresa in his arms.

Theresa nodded and looked up at Jay, "Why her?"

Jay shook his head; he would face Cronos alone before he lost his team mate, his sister, Atlanta.

*
Archie landed 2 days later. He got off the plane to see the team, grown up and waiting.

"Hey Drama Queen, Jay, Herry, Odie," his eyes flickered to Neil, "Neil."

"Hey Archie," Jay said clasping his hand on Archie's shoulder.

The two guys headed to grab Archie's luggage.

"Jay how bad is she?" Archie asked curiosity getting the better of him.

Jay met the eyes of the warrior, his chocolate eyes darkened slightly. "Arch I'm not going to lie. She was up and about when we left but she's not doing well."

"What have the docs' say?" Archie asked again grabbing his luggage from the carousel

"That if the tumor has shrunk down she will be fine, however the threat of it coming back will always haunt her. However if it gets worse, she will slowly lose use of her arms, she will lose her sense of taste, her sense of sight; she will fall in to a coma and die."

Archie staggered as though Jay had kicked him in the stomach.

"She'd hate that" his voice was remarkably calm.

Jay nodded.

They rejoined the group and sat in Herry's orange truck. Theresa looked at Archie as he gulped suddenly.

"Archie? Don't tell her how bad it is. She knows she just wants us to go on as if she wasn't that bad."

Archie nodded and tentatively got out of the truck when they pulled up to the Brownstone

"Archie?" a voice echoed as a girl Archie barely recognized headed down the stairs.

It was Atlanta. Her short hair looked wet, and it no longer looked brown it looked red.

"You dyed your hair," Theresa said coming up from behind of the staring Archie.

"Yeah, I felt good today. I didn't know you were getting Archie." She replied.

Jay nodded and everyone headed in except for Archie and Atlanta.

Archie could recognize her but it was a shadow of the girl who easily beat lapped him 20 times on the track. She looked stick thin, with dark shadows under her eyes.

"Archie," she came down and hugged him. He hugged her tightly, feeling the bones of her spin pushing against his hands. He had missed her so much; he wasn't sure why he had not contacted her. She felt weak and breakable in his arms.

This time, This place
Misused, Mistakes
Too long too late
Who was I to make you wait
Just one chance
Just one breath
Just in case there's just one left
'Cause you know,
you know, you know


He looked down at her in shock to see her eyes glowing with happiness to see him. He felt odd though. He felt so happy to see her, yet this shouldn't be happening to a strong girl like Atlanta, this wasn't her.

Archie walked inside with his arm wrapped around her waist.

"Oh Lannie I missed you," he said as they entered the building.

She smiled, "I missed you too Archie." Her laugher echoing through the house.

*
Archie and Atlanta had a quiet day together. Archie convinced her parents and everyone to let her come boarding with Archie as long as they were careful and Archie understood the dangers.

Atlanta was so happy to be outdoors and to be with Archie she looked thin but completely healthy.

Archie smiled and fell asleep on her bed with her in his arms.

*
During the night Archie awoke to Atlanta screaming in pain.

"Atlanta? Wake up" Archie cried jumping from the bed as she thrashed around. Her mom rushed in with a bottle of pills.

"Lanta, calm down" her mom said as she gave Atlanta a pain killer and as Atlanta fell moaning on to her pillows.

Archie stared in shock as Mrs. Stone met his eyes.

"I'm sorry son." And she left the room.

I love you
I loved you all along
I miss you
Been far away for far too long
I keep dreaming you'll be with me
and you'd never go
Stop breathing if
I don't see you anymore


Archie placed his hand on her head to feel her burning up and her voice weak from pain whispered "Don't leave...Arch? Don't leave..." He kissed her forehead.

"I'm not I'll be back in a bit"

Archie went down stairs, dressed only in his gray sweatpants to sit downstairs.

Pictures of the team in the past decorated the hall and the living room.

Theresa and Jay dancing at the luau, Neil's modeling stunts, Herry and his grandma. There were pictures of the group beating Cronos, a picture of Archie and Atlanta dancing at graduation. Archie laughed as he saw pictures of him chasing Neil around the school, and he smiled quietly at the sight of each student with their teachers.

Jay came downstairs. He was dressed in boxers and a top. He found Archie looking at the student mentor pictures.

"Do you see them often?" Archie asked Jay not looking away from the pictures.
"Persephone and Hera came over when Theresa and I arrived but other than that we haven't been to Olympus High."

Archie sat down on the couch staring tiredly, Jay settled in beside him.

"What happened?" Jay asked.

"She just started screaming in pain," Archie said his voice haunted. "She didn't even know me. We lost 2 years," Archie sounded like he wanted to cry.

Jay felt an uncomfortable hand clench his intestines. "Archie, we are all worried about Atlanta, there is a chance she can survive this. But we need to prepare for the worse too." He clamped his hand on Archie's shoulder.

"She has till September," Jay stood to leave "Don't lose any more time."

Archie went back to Atlanta's room to see sweat pouring down her face. He took a tissue and whipped her face ever so gently, and lay down beside her. She lay her head on his chest and clung to him. Her eyes were shut as he stroked her red hair. He did not sleep that night. He was content to watch the young women cuddling up tightly to him sleep, peacefully for the remainder of the night.

Atlanta's birthday was coming up and plans for a quiet party at home consisting of the seven heroes, Cassie, and a few of the gods came under the identity for Cassie as friends of the family.

On my knees, I'll ask
Last chance for one last dance
'Cause with you, I'd withstand
All of Hell to hold your hand
I'd give it all
I'd give for us
Give anything, but I won't give up
'Cause you know,
you know, you know


Archie and Jay were working together for Atlanta's present from Archie. The party was a quiet success. Atlanta was well enough to head out of bed. The celebrations ended just after a dinner when the party suddenly became just the seven and the gods.

They stood quietly by their mentors as each looked back on the years.

"You all did so well," Persephone said as she hugged Theresa.

"You have all well earned places in Elysian fields" Hera said as the room went quiet as each looked at the young girl staring back at them.

"We will always be together," Atlanta replied after a few minutes

Jay felt the hand unclench his insides and his body relaxed. Archie felt a weight leave his shoulders, Theresa felt the air grow heavier with emotion but everyone relaxed ever so slightly.

"Atlanta can you come outside for a bit with me?" Archie finally asked.

Atlanta nodded as Archie went to grab her coat. Archie walked with her outside, knowing that Atlanta did not want help.

The backyard was decorated with thousands of lit candles and flowers. The night was clear; Atlanta paused as she looked outside.

"Did you do this for me Archie?" she asked as she opened the door.

He nodded and led her to the hammock outside. She smiled and cuddle up against him.

"Atlanta I....I love you but I want to ask your forgiveness." Archie started as he began. "I've waited for you since that day we said good bye, but I thought we had all the time in the world."

Atlanta smiled and met his eyes, her green ones sparkling happily.

"Don't apologize Archie, we still have all the time in the world...I promise. We have all eternity." She replied her fingers stroking his face.

"But Atlanta..."

"Shush, Archie," her finger placed almost like a caress on his lips. "I know my times almost up Archie, trust me. But I have no problems or regrets with my life. We took down Cronos. I met you and my sister and my brothers. I know you are all trying to protect me but it hurts because you are all treating me differently. I lost my taste a few days ago. I didn't want to upset you all by telling you otherwise. My vision has been darkening. I know it's not long."

But you know, you know, you know
I wanted
I wanted you to stay
'Cause I needed
I need to hear you say
I love you
I have loved you all along
And I forgive you
For being away for far too long
So keep breathing
'Cause I'm not leaving you anymore


Archie wasn't sure what to say.

Atlanta continued, "Ill be waiting for you at the Elysian fields where we will have eternity together."

He smiled slightly, and their lips met for a gentle kiss.

"But Archie promise me something? When the time comes don't drag it out. I want you to be happy. Live life for the both of us," she smiled quietly and kissed him again. He nodded and reached in to his hoodie pocket.

"Happy birthday, my love." He handed her a burnt cd and a gold necklace. Atlanta smiled and led him up to her bedroom. Atlanta and Archie curled up together and fell asleep in each others arms.

Archie awoke late the next morning to an empty bed and Mrs. Stone shaking awake.

"What is it?" he asked Mrs. Stone suddenly reaching for his shirt.

"It's Atlanta. I guessed she sneaked down to the living room to listen to the CD you gave her and she slipped in to a coma. The ambulance just left."

Archie felt his heart grow cold. He scrambled up and grabbed a discarded shirt.

"Herry's got the car ready," He raced down stairs his eyes dead. Mrs. Stone shoved something in his hand and ran back up the stairs to wake up Atlanta's brothers.

Believe it
Hold on to me, and never let me go
Keep breathing
'Cause I'm not leaving you anymore
Believe it
Hold on to me and, never let me go
Keep breathing
Hold on to me, never let me go
Keep breathing
Hold on to me, never let me go.


The car was quiet as Archie turned over his hands and realized that Mrs. Stone had given him Atlanta's discman. It had been paused at a song and Archie realized it was perfect that she had heard that song.

The group had become quiet and subdued. Theresa was in Jay's arms pale, her eyes shadowed.

Archie kept pacing and walking in to hold her hand. He placed the song on repeat and placed the headphones over her ears. He had heard somewhere that music could help pull people out of comas.

*
Jay pulled his arm out from under Theresa's sleeping form and stood from the chair he had been huddled in. The teens had taken turns staying at the hospital; tonight it was Archie, Theresa and Jay's turn.

Jay stood stretch and looked around for Archie who was sitting talking quietly to Mrs. Stone. Her eyes streamed as Archie whispered to her. She nodded and left down the hall. Archie wandered over to Jay his eyes red.

"She told me not to drag it out." Archie replied to Jay's unasked question. "She wouldn't like it. She wants us all to live our lives for her. Mrs. Stone went to get the doctor... I'm going to go say goodbye."

Archie turned his back on Jay and went in to the room.

Archie stared down at her pale form.

"Good bye, my love." He kissed her check as Jay brought in the sobbing Theresa.

"Bye Atlanta," She said before hiding her face in Jay's shoulder. Jay didn't say anything as Herry, Odie, Neil and Atlanta's family entered with a doctor. He looked at the solemn gathering and pulled the plugs of the machines keeping her alive.

Archie just let the tears fall as he kissed her one last time.

*
The church was packed for Atlanta's funeral. Archie sat quietly with the rest of the team, and the gods off to the side. Each of the 6 had spoken recounting tales that despite the sadness of the occasion caused chuckles to be heard.

A girl with brown hair came up to speak. He didn't recognize her.

"I did not know Atlanta as well as the previous people who spoke. I played her in field hockey and she was my chemistry lab partner for the first part of senior year but other than that we did not talk. She taught me a lesson I will never forget. Seize the day and live each day as if it is your last. She was competitive, a damn good field hockey player. She was kind and passionate about what she loved. I will always regret not knowing her better..."

The song is in italics and is Far Away by Nickleback
Sign up to rate and review this story