Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > My Heart Can't Take This Hurt

Chapter 4

by Rybekka 5 reviews

...

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama, Romance - Published: 2007-04-19 - Updated: 2007-04-19 - 1549 words

0Unrated
Thanks for the comments guys!

-

Ryan's POV

My dad didn't come home yesterday.

But that didn't change anything. I woke my mom and sister up. Cooked breakfast. Helped my sister to school. Convinced my mother to go work. And then I got my backpack and hurried to school without eating breakfast.

I hated this.

I didn't even care where my dad was. I hoped he wouldn't come back.

I don't care if I'll be late. Again.

And I was late.

I walked into the school with my skateboard in my hand. The hall was completely empty except for this one girl. She was panicking. She was shoving some books in her locker trying to be so quick that they all fell out again. I ran over to her and picked up her books for her. I hadn´t had a chance to take a good look at her but when I stood up with her books in my hands I instantly recognized her. It was that girl from detention. Sophia.

"Here you go." I said handing her the books smiling.

She took them and just stared at me with a surprised expression on her face.

"You're going to get yourself a another detention if you don't hurry up." I said smirking. Those words seemed to make her snap back into reality.

"Huh. Oh yeah. Thanks." She said shoving her books into her locker safely. "Won't you be late?" She continued after closing her locker.

"I'm gonna skip class. I'll get detention anyways." I decided at that moment. I saw a shocked expression appear on her face. She had probably never skipped class in her life.

"Hang out with me. You'll probably gonna get detention too. So you might as well enjoy it." I added and smirked at her. I really wanted to get to know this girl. She just seemed so interesting.

"Uh. I don't know. What if we get caught?" she said uncertain. She looked at me with her blue eyes. They were so pretty. I could see that she didn't completely trust me. Well, I couldn't blame her, I had just met her.

"Don't worry about it. We'll be fine. Common" I said and I grabbed her hand. She picked up her backpack and followed me, still holding my hand. I felt that she didn't feel so comfortable with this.

But when we got out of the school building she finally relaxed.

"So, I'm guessing this is your first time cutting class?" I said smirking. She was still holding my hand tightly and with her other one biting her nails just like she had did in detention. I was certain that she wasn't used to boys noticing her.

"Kinda. Yeah." She said blushing.

"You a good girl, eh?" I said teasingly. Her cheeks just turned redder. "Nah, kidding. How come I haven't seen you around school?" I went on wondering how I could have missed a girl like her.

"Well it is a big school. And we only have one class together." She said looking at the street beneath us while we walked.

"We have one class together?" I repeated. "Really? Then how on earth could I not have noticed a girl like you?"

She finally looked up to me. Cheeks red. Eyes glowing. I knew she liked me.

"Well, you must be blind." She said putting on a grin.

"I guess I am." I said smiling at her. "Anyway. Where do you wanna go?"

She hesitated for a moment and looked at her surroundings trying to spot something interesting. Then something caught her eye. "Ice cream!" she said and pointed excitedly at an ice cream shop.

I let out a small giggle, just looking at her smiling that excitedly made me feel warm all over. She took her eyes of the ice cream shop and looked into my eyes. "Are you laughing at me?"

"Noooo. That's a great idea. I'll buy." I said when a worried look appeared on her face. It quickly vanished and I started running towards the shop dragging her after me, giggling.

"Not so fast!" she said laughing. I looked back at her, the wind blew her brown hair back and she had a big smile on her face.

With ice creams in our hands we sat down in a booth in the ice cream shop.

"So Sophia Carter. What do you like to do in your spare time?" I said staring at Sophia, then giving my melting ice cream all my attention.

"Uh. Well. I like reading and writing. Music is a big part of my life too" she said shyly and looked out the window licking her ice cream. This girl was really something else. All the girls that I had talked to had ignored me or didn't even want to talk to me. I guess it was because I was kind of, well, not exactly weird just, lets just say I'm not much a people person. I didn't like to talk to people who I didn't know, I was always quiet in class and I avoided all unneeded attention. But in Sophia's case, something was different. I had never just met a person and felt comfortable around her instantly.

"Really? I read a lot and write too. And I'm starting a band with my best friends" I said.

"Wow. That's so cool I wish I could be in a band. But I don't really play an instrument, well, I know a few things on the guitar. What instrument do you play?" She said excitedly.

"I play the guitar too. I've been taking guitar lessons for 4 years now."

We talked until we finished our ice creams. Turns out we have a lot in common. When we got back to the school we had missed two classes, so there was a break now.

"Well, I guess I have to go tell my friends where I've been." She said smiling at me in the school hallway.

"Yeah, me too. See you later" I said and waved at her as I turned around to find the guys.

There they were, sitting in the middle of the cafeteria, glancing nervously around them self's. Spencer was the first one to notice me walk over to them. He got up and ran towards me.

"Hey, where have you been?" Spencer said all-motherly.

"Nowhere. Just over slept a little." I said innocently and sat down at the table with them. Brendon and Jon sent me suspicious looks.

"Well. Okay if you say so." Spencer said dropping the subject and took a seat beside me.

"Anyway. I talked to my mom and she said that we practice at my grandma's house. She's deaf anyways" Spencer said eagerly.

"Well that's good news! Then I don't have to clean the garage." Brendon said relieved. I smiled happily at Spencer and suggested that we could meet up at his grandma's house after school to play something. When that was decided I walked out of the cafeteria with a smile plastered over my face.

________________________


I skated my way to the front door of my house. My dad was home. Great.

I unlocked the door and walked inside. Mom and Claire were not in sight but my dad was sitting in front of the television with a beer in his hand. It was always a bad sign. I closed the front door as quietly as I could. I didn't want him to notice me, so I tried to tip toe my way though the living room without him noticing but I failed.

"RYAN? Is that you boy?" I heard him roar from the couch. I stumbled over an empty beer bottle and fell to the floor. Great. For only a second a lay on the floor until my dad wrapped his fingers harshly around my arm and pulled me up.

"Where where you? Why weren't you in school?" he yelled angrily. I guess the school had called him because I missed two classes.

"Do you really think you can just skip school? You'll grow up to become nothing. NOTHING. You are completely hopeless!" Those words cut deep. I felt my eyes burning up with tears. He was still holding my arm and was shaking me as he yelled.

"You are good for nothing. You useless boy. If you don't toughen up you'll be eating nails for breakfast and tacks for snacks." He spat at me and harshly let go of my arm. I fell to the floor and landed on my elbows. I tried to hold my tears back. But I couldn't. I felt the pain shoot up my arm.

"Are you crying now? Be a man Ryan! You're not a child anymore. You're hopeless!" he yelled at me and took a sip out of his beer bottle. I couldn't stutter one word out of my mouth. I was completely speechless. And the fact that my arms hurt like hell didn't help.

He stood over me for a couple of seconds and the shook his head and took his seat in front of the television.

I stood up and ran out the door. I had no idea where I was going.

Somehow I ended up in front of Sophia's house. I knocked on the door and waited for someone to answer it.

"Ryan?"
Sign up to rate and review this story