Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > My Heart Can't Take This Hurt

Chapter 8

by Rybekka 2 reviews

...

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama, Romance - Published: 2007-04-30 - Updated: 2007-04-30 - 1422 words

0Unrated
Notes:
trueLIEx3: Thaanks =D
trophywives: Wow thanks =)


"So what happened?" she said with her eyes full of care and worry.

"Well. It's a long story but I think I can tell it if you're ready to listen." I said, still uncertain if I really wanted to tell her everything that had been going on. And by that I meant everything. Including everything that's been going on with my dad.

"Ryan, I'm here for you. I know that something has been going on with you ever since I met you and I'm ready to listen. You can trust me." Those were the words I'd been wishing to hear for so long. Ryan you better not start crying now. I looked into her deep blue eyes and I knew she meant it. So here I go.

"Well I guess it all started when my dad lost his job as a constructor." I began shakingly. "He started drowning all his problems with drinking. It was a tough time, then he got a job. I thought everything would go back to normal but it didn't and my dad got fired again for showing up drunk at work. Things just started getting worse. My mom had to start working two jobs and was never home. Dad was either somewhere drinking or passed out in front of the tv. I had to take care of Claire and myself, I was basically on my own."

I could feel the tears burning up my eyes. I hadn't talked about this to anyone. The sudden touch of Sophia's hand on mine made me nearly jump. I had been staring into thin air but now i turned to face Sophia. She smiled a comforting smile at me. A beautiful smile.

"Ryan, its okay if you're not ready to talk about it." she said kindly and kept her warm hand over mine. I smiled halfheartedly at her and said: "No I have to."

She nodded and I looked away from her getting ready to start again.

"So yeah, I didn't have time to do homework and I started to get in trouble in school and ended in detention. I guess that ended up being a good thing" I said and a small smile escaped my lips. "Anyway. I didn't think things could get worse but they did. Remember that night I came over? Well, that night my dad had been drinking again and ended up pushing me to the floor while yelling at me. He had never done that before. I didn't think he could ever hurt me or anyone but that night I realized that things were not going to get better. And they didn't. Now my parents are in the hospital probably in surgery and I could become an orphan any moment now."

There, I dropped the bomb.

"What? What happened?" Her eyes widened in shock while mine were filling up with tears.

"They were in a car accident caused by my father, they weren't even in the same car, and now they need machines to keep them breathing." I couldn't take to look at her. This all was just so messed up. "And Brendon, Spencer and Jon, my best friends, are mad at me because I didn't show up to practice for our new band"

A few tears had escaped my eyes and were slowly sliding down my cheek. I couldn't take the silence.

"Oh my god Ryan. I didn't think things were that bad, I'm so sorry" she whispered and wrapped her hands around me pulling me into a hug. I just let the tears fall as she comforted me.

It felt like we had been sitting there for ages when she finally let me go. She was now sitting close beside me and looking at me. I wiped away the tears and met her stare.

"Thank you so much for listening. I haven't told this to anyone and have just been keeping it hidden trying to ignore all the problems." I said and sent her a small smile. She smiled back with an understanding look on her face and started to play with her hair. I realized that that was just what she did when she had nothing to say, or was nervous, play with her hair. I found it a cute little habit.

"You're such a good friend" I said still smiling. For a second there I saw the smile disappear of her face and replaced by a disappointed look, but only for a second.

"Something wrong?" I asked confused.

"No, no. Everything is fine. Oh, wait no its not, I mean with your parents and all but, beside that everything is... Fine." she said nervously. "I think you should go to bed. Its been a long day and you're probably tired."

It kinda confused me why she dismissed me like that all of a sudden. I shook the confused look off my face, stood up and bid her good night. I walked out of the room wondering what I had said. It was probably nothing, since she had been so understanding and all but it still bothered me.

___________________________________________


I woke up the next day to the shrikes from Claire, I lazily opened my eyes to see Claire sit on the floor with Sophia by her side playing with some Bratz dolls.

"Good morning sleepyhead" Claire shrieked and jumped up with a Bratz doll in her hand. "Look, I picked the clothes and dressed her up! Don't you think she looks pretty?" Claire went on with a large smile stuck on her face.

"Wow, yes she is." I said and tried to sound interested. Sophia turned to face me and I met her shy smile.

"Good morning" She said and put a Bratz doll that she was holding back on the floor. "We have an unused toothbrush in the guest bathroom that you can use if you want and breakfast will be served soon."

"Oh. okay" I said and yawned. It was Saturday so no school. Great! I was suddenly feeling a little better, no school meant no need to talk to the guys. Just spending the whole day worrying about my parents. . .

I quickly got up from the bed and started walking towards the door to the bathroom. Half way there I felt Sophia staring at me. I looked back at her and then realized I was just in my boxers and a t-shirt. She looked down when she saw me looking at her and I felt my cheeks getting red. Why did i ALWAYS have to embarrass myself in front of girls? Especially the girl I liked. Still, she liked someone else so why should I even feel embarrassed I mean, she was just my friend.

"You like what you see?" I said jokingly and threw a pillow at her. She let out a little shriek when the pillow hit her. She then threw it back at me and rolled her eyes. I just smirked and walked into the bathroom.

________________________________________


"Ryan, there's someone from the hospital on the phone for you" Mrs. Carter said walking into the kitchen when I, Claire and Sophia were eating breakfast. I felt my heart sink. I didn't know what to expect, he could tell me that my parents were dead. But maybe they were just going to be fine. I stood up and started shaking as I reached for the phone in Mrs. Carter's hand.

"H-h-hello?" I stuttered.

"Hi, is this Mr. Ross?" an unfamiliar voice said.

"Yes."

"I'm afraid that I have some good news and some bad news about your parents." I felt my heart sink even deeper. Good AND bad news? After a moment of silence the doctor continued:

"The good news are that your parents surgeries were successful. But the bad news is that they are both in a coma and we can't tell when they are going to wake up or even if they will wake up. The only thing we can do now is hope" the doctor said calmly. I felt the tears starting to fall from my eyes. I couldn't stand all this crying. I couldn't stand not knowing when I will talk to my parents again.

"So, it could go weeks before they wake up?" I said with my voice shaking.

"Yes, maybe even months. I'm so sorry to be the bearer of bad news. We're doing everything we can."

"I know. Thank you, goodbye." I said and hung up the phone speechless. This day just got a whole lot worse.
Sign up to rate and review this story