Categories > Books > Phantom of the Opera > Angel in my eyes

Chapter 20

by Lady141220 0 reviews

Futuristic fic about the reincarnated Erik living as a very successful music artist in America, after a botched pyrotechnic episode on stage Erik came away with a bad injury to the right side of hi...

Category: Phantom of the Opera - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance - Characters: Erik - Warnings: [!!] [X] - Published: 2007-05-18 - Updated: 2007-05-19 - 1887 words

0Unrated
Christine knocked lightly a few more times, she felt foolish but a part of her was beginning to worry about what Raoul had said, 'Was he inside ignoring her? Was he drinking?' Her mind raced with worry that feeling alone trumped her embarrassment; she reached up and knocked on the door again. A voice from behind her startled her as it called her name, she spun around to see Nick climbing the stairs, she stepped away from the door towards the steps, "Hi Nick."

Nick smiled at her as started to lead her down the hallway, "I'm sorry honey if you are looking for Erik he left a while ago for a dinner date." Nick gently placed his hand on the small of her back, "I'm glad I ran into you, I wanted to discuss your demo cd. Would you come to my office so we can sit down and have a conversation?" He said gesturing down the hallway towards an open door.

Christine looked over her shoulder once more than allowed Nick to lead her down the hall, "You've listened to my cd?" She asked bringing her attention back to Z.

A devilish smile shone across Nick's lips, "Have I listened to it....I can't stop it is amazing! That is what I'd like to discuss with you," he explained closing the door behind them and heading to his desk, gesturing for Christine to take the seat facing him, "Please sit."

Moving slowly Christine took a seat across from Z; a part of her was excited to even be having this conversation with him yet the other part of her thought back to Erik. 'Annette and Raoul were wrong; he was out on a date...probably with his fiancée.' The bitterness in her cut her straight to the bone more than she imagined it should. "I'm glad you like it."

Z chuckled a bit, "How long have you been singing? I mean how long have you been working towards a singing career?"

Christine's eyes were wide, "A singing career? I mean...I've been singing all my life." She explained playing ideally with her bracelet, "My father taught my when I was young up until he passed away, and now I get to learn from Erik."

Nick nodded as he pulled a cigar from his humidor, preparing to light it, "So is that why you joined the tour? To make a career for yourself?" he asked taking a long drag on his cigar watching her intently.

"No, definitely not I wanted to do this because it's a once in a lifetime offer." She explained quickly. Christine pulled her hair back into a loose pony tail and continued, "I've never done anything like this before, plus learning with Erik...I mean he's amazing and so talented. I know how lucky I am to be taught by him."

Nick shook his head, "Yes...Erik is a very talented artist; but so are you my dear. Actually what I would like to do is get you into the studio and record a few tracks."

Christine was practically bouncing in her seat with excitement, "That would be amazing!"

Nodding Z took another hit off his cigar, "I like some of your original work, plus I have a few songs I'd like to put down and I think you've got the perfect voice for it. I want to get you into a real studio to get some tracks created, I'm sure we can work it into your tour schedule." Z pointed his cigar at her, "I'm very interested in the progression of your career Christine and I believe this tour...you singing with Erik will only help sky rocket your success. Hell by the end of the tour; should things go right I could have you open for Erik. What do you think about that?"

A smile stretched from ear to ear across her face as Z filled her mind with thoughts of future success, "That would be amazing Z! Thank you soo much for this wonderful opportunity." She replied.

Nick stood and offered his hand to her, "It is entirely my pleasure Christine, believe me. Now please let's keep this on the down low for now, this can be our little secret. Then when things are prepared we can have a celebration party in your honor. How about we start Sunday evening, I will call you."

Flying high on cloud nine Christine nodded and shook his hand, "Sunday will be great. Thank you so much, I can't tell you how amazing this is." She reiterated her earlier statement following Z towards the door.

Opening the door for her Z smiled, "Have a nice night Christine. Don't be a stranger; if you need anything don't hesitate to call me, I'll see you tomorrow right? At the party?"

Christine nodded, "Thank you and yah I'll be there have a good night." She replied heading out into the hallway and waving back at Nick as he slowly closed the door behind her. Turning her attention back down the hallway towards the staircase, her eyes drifted slowly towards Erik's door. In all the excitement of her conversation with Z she'd forgotten the reason she was up here, pushing everything out of her mind about Erik for the time being. Glancing at the floor beneath the door she sighed noticing there was no light on, 'Still not home, must be out enjoying himself.'

Nick had returned back to his desk smiling to himself, it had been a moment of enlightenment when he'd thought about Christine and a singing career for her. Returning back to his desk he propped his feet up on his desk and continued taking hits off his cigar; "Erik's situation is covered, now the setup with Christine as a fail safe. Things are running so smoothly it's almost frightening." Nick's plans seemed to be falling into place and a snide smile just crossed his lips as he sat back congratulating himself.

Christine turned away from Erik's door and bolted down the stairs as quickly as she could berating herself with every step she took, 'So stupid, no wonder he didn't call or anything. He's probably with his soon to be wife! God Christine you are so thick. It's probably a huge joke between his band, he probably told Raoul to tell me that to make me feel bad and now they are all sitting back laughing at me. Aaah!' Her mind screamed in frustration, she'd been so worried and beating herself up over someone who hadn't even given her a second thought.

Christine made her way across the mansion knowing exactly what would make her feel better. She knew she could go and meet up with Meg and everyone else for a fun evening out, but she had no desire to see Raoul right now. She needed to give herself some time away from everyone to think things through, she'd have tomorrow night to party and enjoy herself. Bursting into her room she headed directly for her bed; she grabbed her keys off the night stand, "A nice evening drive will relax me."
She told herself letting her hair down out of its' pony tail. Looking around she grabbed her MP3 player off her bed, she glanced around once more, "Keys...tunes...oh one more thing." She reminded herself grabbing her phone out of her purse and tossing it on the bed. When she went driving she never took her phone, that way no one could find her or contact her; she could just drive. Christine made sure to leave the phone in plain sight so Meg would know where she was, it was their own kind of code so they know the other was ok. Christine headed for the door shutting off the light as she went; tonight she'd forget about this whole situation...about Erik.

~Erik's Room~

The knock on the door had finally stopped allowing him to remain peacefully miserable and inebriated, his inner torment not subsiding with each drink he took. Pushing up off the chair he'd been firmly planted in for the majority of the day, Erik took a few unsure steps forward stopping only to steady himself. Erik moved to his stereo turning his system on, just to have some sound in his room other than the voices in his head.

Shaking his head at the commercial on the radio he moved to his French doors pushing them open to reveal a clear night the moon shining brightly into his room. The reality of his whole life seemed to hit him like a knock out punch, the bottle in his hand slipped from his fingers and crashed to pieces on the floor beside him. Sobs began to rack his entire body as he dropped to his knees finally allowing the tears he'd refused to shed fall freely, the pain from the accident and everything hit him all at once. He had tried to hide, to forget about it but life had a way of keeping the limelight on the things you only wished to forget. Erik held his head in his hands as he embraced the release he felt from his flowing tears; pulling back slightly he starred at the broken bottle around him.

It reminded him of his life: lonely and broken. 'Is this what I've become...a lonely drunk.' The realization that he was correct caused an ache in his chest where the open void lay open and bleeding from the missing part of his life he'd lost. Sitting back on his heels he looked to the heaven, sending a silent prayer to whoever would listen.

"You feel like a candle in a hurricane
Just like a picture with a broken frame
Alone and helpless like you've lost your fight
But you'll be alright, you'll be alright"

The lyrics pouring from the radio caught Erik's attention, wiping at his tears he turned towards the stereo listening intently to the words of the singer.

"Cause when push comes to shove
You taste what you're made of
You might bend 'til you break
Cause it's all you can take
On your knees you look up
Decide you've had enough
You get mad, you get strong
Wipe your hands, shake it off
Then you stand, then you stand

Every time you get up and get back in the race
One more small piece of you starts to fall into place - yeah"

Taking a few deep breaths a slight smile graced his lips; he always knew that music was his life a part of his soul but he never knew the lord worked in this way. Sending his salvation in the form of lyrics set down by those he'd never know, knowing they'd never know exactly what the words meant to him. Swallowing hard he picked himself up off the ground, feeling lighter than he had in months now that he'd faced his demons and survived.

A/N: Lyrics are to Stand by Rascal Flatts, you can find the music on my website. There is also a poll on my website to find out who is everyone's favorite character. Next update before the weekend! Hope you've enjoyed the latest chapter, thank you for reading! As always leave love or hate just let me know you are reading it.
Sign up to rate and review this story