Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Rebirth of Hope

The Rat

by sailorchick321 2 reviews

what will the order do now that harry is dead? and how much help can he be for the other side? HBP compliant

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Dumbledore, Ginny, Harry, Hermione, James, Lily, Lupin, Peter, Ron, Sirius, Voldemort - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2007-05-27 - Updated: 2007-05-27 - 1483 words

3Exciting
The Rat

Harry vanished from sight after talking to his parents. He appeared in a rundown looking old house. Staying on the Plain of the Dead so that the living occupant shuddering in the corner couldn't see him, he approached the cowering Death Eater. Harry recognized him as Harper, a Slytherin one year below him. the boy was obviously terrified. As Harry looked at him, a man came out of the other room and started yelling at the boy to get his "no good lazy ass off the floor and quit whimpering."

Harry walked over to the man and appeared in front of him, blocking the man in a corner. Harry slowly removed his glove speaking as did. "The Powers have judged you and found you wanting." Having finished removing his glove Harry touched the man. The boy drew himself into a tighter ball and gasped when Harry turned to face him.

Harry looked at the boy for a long moment trying to determine if he had the Mark or not. When he found that he did, Harry sighed.

The boy gathered his courage and spoke in as whisper. "Harry?"

"He forced you to take the Mark didn't he?" Harry asked him, pointing over his shoulder at the man he had just sent to the Furies. When the boy nodded, Harry closed his eyes. "I can't let you live, but I will give you a reprieve from where I sent the others. Close your eyes. It wont hurt."

Shivering the boy did as he was told. Harry put his glove back on and turned to pick up the wand the boy's father had held. When he turned he saw Albus standing there. "Give me a moment to get the Styx. I don't think the boy has anyone there to meet him." Albus turned after he had spoken. "You're doing the right thing Harry. Not all of those who bore the mark were evil."

***

A few moments after having left Harry in the Styx, Albus saw the Harper boy appear. The boy still had his eye clenched tightly and was standing ramrod straight. Albus began to walk to the boy when he was stopped by someone he didn't expect.

Severus Snape had watch much of what had happened in the Styx. He had fallowed the group that was there when he appeared and watched from over to the side. He realized now that he was lucky Voldemort had killed him just before the battle had begun. He had returned to the After just before Albus and had planed to speak to him. Then he had seen one of his snakelings arrive and realized that Harry couldn't bring himself to send one so young to the fate that awaited the others.

Severus laid his hand on his old mentors shoulder. Albus turned to him surprise evident on his face. "Let me papa." With that Severus walked to the newest arrival.

Dumbledore smiled. At least his grandson was safely home with him. This time forever.

***

Ginny was desolate after having seen Harry again at the battle. She had refused to speak after her whispered revelation and had been taken upstairs to her and Hermione's room at Grimmauld Place. Ron had stood watch over her until the sky began to glow with hints of morning then had quietly left to rejoin the rest of the Order and find something to eat.

Down stairs was abuzz with the Order members all speculating on what had really happened. Some refused to believe that the creature they had seen had been Harry. Others were trying to figure out what Harry had become. Ron just sat quietly next to Hermione and wish he had his friend back to stay.

As the sun began to peek through the windows, Molly insisted that they all rest up from their hard night. There had been only one loss from the Order, Severus, but there had been many injuries. She shooed everyone staying there off to bed: Remus, Tonks, all her boys and Hermione. And she shooed those with their beds elsewhere off to find them.

Everyone agreed that they would meet again for an early dinner to decide what to tell the ministry about the battle and how to tell the world that Harry was dead.

***

Harry found and disposed of the other 4 Death Eaters leaving Peter for last. He stood over the next to last Death Eater closing his eyes and sensing the Mark. He had to make sure Peter was the last. Sensing only one last Mark, Harry vanished away reappearing in a sewer full of rats.

Making sure he had his gloves on he reached down letting his hand hover over each rat until he found the Rat he was looking for. Picking up Peter carefully making sure no part of his skin touched the Rat Harry disappeared again. This time with the Rat in tow.

Harry reappeared in a large stone amphitheater. He was standing in the center of the stage in front of a large stone arch with a curtain hanging inside of it.

Harry stood for a moment then looked to the right. His mum and dad and godfather were there. "Why are we here, pup" asked Sirius.

Harry threw the rat to the ground. "Change back Peter. I'm collecting on the life debt you owe me. You see Sirius," Harry continued keeping his eyes on the now human Rat. "The Fates said that I'm not dead. My life cord is still in the Tapestry of Time. I can go back, and Peter here is going to help me. Aren't you Peter?"

Peter shivered as he looked at the impressive figure that was the son of the friends he had betrayed. "You will help me because you owe me a life debt, and you will do it gladly and willingly because it will give you the chance to make amends. You can escape the fate the others got. Do you know where they are Peter? They are serving as toys to the Furies. 8000 years they will pay for their crimes and then, Peter, then they will Fade. They will cease to exist. But you, I'll send you to the After to face the friends you betrayed, if you help me."

Peter looked sick when Harry stopped speaking. "W..wha..at d...do I do?"

"Walk through the Vail with me." Harry replied.

"Harry!" Sirius said, "The Vail switched states, wont that give him the power you have now?"

"No." Harry replied, "He is the last. The moment we pass through the Vail, I'll just be dead. Or rather, he'll just be dead and I'll be alive in his place."

James smiled. "Good for you, Son. I hope you don't see me again for hundred years."

Harry smiled too, "Me too, I'll miss you guys."

Lily had tears in her eyes, but she too was happy for her son. "We'll be here when you get back, Harry. I love you."

"I love you too, mum." Harry turned to Peter, "We have to go through at exactly the same time."

As Peter and Harry walked towards the arch James yelled "Tell Remus to quite apologizing!"

"And tell him we all want to see him get some 'wolf-cubs' with Tonks!" Sirius added.

"oh be serious Sirius" James replied.

Harry passed through the Vail with Peter laughing at the antics of his father and godfather, who had in a very short time become more like friends to him.

***

The sensation of being Switch was very odd. Peter had been afraid of death, but seeing Harry, with wings and the power of the gods, apparently talking to the two dead marauders had terrified him. When he came out on the other side of the Vail he looked like he had when he left Hogwarts, and there stood James, Lily and Sirius, also looking like they had when they left Hogwarts.

Peter looked to the left to see Harry standing there, sans wings, gasping for breath. "It worked." Harry said.

***

As he passed through the Vail, Harry saw his parents disappear. The moment he came out the other side he remembered that breathing was necessary and that he hadn't been for a while. Still panting he looked around the now empty room. He could see clearly even though he had no glasses. Reaching for his scar he realised that that was gone also. "It worked." Even though the room appeared empty, Harry was sure his parents were still there. "I need to get back to the Order before they announce my death. I love you guys. Bye."

As Harry turned to leave, he realised that he was deep within the Department of Mysteries, somewhere he really shouldn't be, again, and apparently couldn't apparate out of. Hoping his luck would hold and he wouldn't get caught trying to sneak out, Harry started towards the door.
Sign up to rate and review this story