Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Dawn of Eternal Night

The Summoner

by 1KyuubinoYoko1 0 reviews

Jonathan is now back in the world of the living, but who's this old guy?

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy, Humor - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-05-30 - Updated: 2007-05-31 - 642 words

0Unrated
When I regained consciousness the first thing I saw was an old man dressed entirely in a large blue robe. His beard was so long that it touched the floor, even when he stood at his full height. After a brief look at his eyes, I noticed that he was blind.

"Ah, so you're awake, good, good. I was starting to worry, you've been out for five hours," the old man's voice was so rough that it sounded like he was eating rocks.

I said the only thing that my mind would allow me to at the moment, "Who are you?"

The old man looked at me curiously before answering, "My name is Merlin, young Jonathan, and you have been summoned here for a reason. I would explain now, but it seems that Arthur is coming."

Just as Merlin had said, Arthur came into the room only moments later, "Jonathan! You're awake. This is good. Now would you care to explain why you fainted?"

I looked at Arthur for a moment with confusion, 'I fainted? When?' That was when I remembered what Arthur told me, and with that fresh in mind I jumped out of the bed and asked, "Arthur, did you say that it's 1450?!"

Arthur looked at me with surprise for a moment before answering with, "Yes, I did, why?"

And I fainted again...

*


This time when I regained my consciousness, I remembered what Arthur told me, and thus the first thing out of my mouth this time was, "HOW THE HELL DID I GET HERE?!"

I hadn't expected a reply, "Well Jonathan, that I can explain, for you see, it was I who summoned you."

I nearly jumped out of my skin, "WHOA!" I turned around to see Merlin in all his robed glory, "Don't scare me like that!"

Merlin laughed whole-heartily, his laugh was like nails on a chalk board; it wasn't pleasant to hear. After a few moments of laughing, Merlin calmed down and said with his rocky voice, "Jonathan, you are perhaps the most entertaining person I've ever met, and that's saying a lot..."

I looked at Merlin with confusion, the only thing running through my mind was, 'What does he mean by that?'

He seemed to read my mind, "You see, I've met plenty of people in my many years, no one has responded to me in that manner before. I suspect Arthur has gotten used to it..." Merlin seemed to have gone into his own little world, "But enough about that, I came here to tell you that I was the one who summoned you to this time, and for good reason, you are in grave danger..."

I looked at the old man with a bit of confusion, "How am I in danger? I've done nothing wrong..."

Merlin looked at me with a sad face, "Actually, it's because of something that you've done, it's something that I've done..." at this he looked down with shame.

I was now more confused than I ever have been in my life, 'What did this old man do that would put me in danger?'

Merlin seemed to read my mind again, "In your time the sky is always black, correct?" I nodded in affirmation, "Well, you see, that was my doing..." Again Merlin looked down in shame.

I looked at Merlin with complete astonishment, and I asked that first thing that came to mind, "You were the warlock?"

Merlin looked up at me with his blind eyes, "Wizard actually, don't get those two mixed up, you might get hurt. Warlocks practice the dark arts. Wizards on the other hand practice the arcane. I was young at the time, I didn't know that my spells would harm others, but they did, my last spell was to summon you, I cast it in the year 1850, 400 years from now."

---

Fourth chapter done!
Sign up to rate and review this story