Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Rain

Clouded Skies

by RenoTurk 0 reviews

More Tru!

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Sci-fi - Published: 2007-06-03 - Updated: 2007-06-04 - 1053 words - Complete

0Unrated
We only come out at night
We only come out at night
The days are much to bright
We only come out at night

And once again, you'll pretend to know me well, my friends
And once again, I'll pretend to know the way
Thru the empty space
Thru the secret places of the heart

Smashing Pumpkins


It wasn't a long journey or a hard one. It was an incredibly frustrating one. He slid in to the alleyways and thought about her words. She had made this moment difficult. Faith? He hated that he was bound to his dark world. How could he hold Faith if he was damned. Surely being convinced he was damned was like Faith anyway?

He plugged his music in and looked up t the night sky and hopped across the fences towards the Cathedral. He melded in and out of the night with the shadows embracing that side of him. He was not an average human; he was not even human in his view. No better to accept that side of him. Better to try and face whatever came with an open mind.

He stood outside the Cathedral and watched as the night clouds washed over the tall ever welcoming cross on the dome. He looked at the doors and wrapped the large black coat around himself a little more. What could he say if he went in there?

He felt the other presence behind him but didn't move. Whatever it was it stayed clear of the square in front of the Cathedral. Tru slowly turned around to face what had followed him. A figure stood just in his view and Tru watched it move forwards a small step before taking another one back.

He slid from one shadow to another and stood just a few feet away. He looked at the dark figure. He despised it on site. It reminded him of... well, him. His blue eyes roamed over the man assessing him. He watched it and it watched back. Stalemate. Neither wanted to cross their respective lines. Then Tru looked again, no the other could not cross.

"Check mate." Tru whispered. "Who are you?"

"You're enemy." It said confidently. "You seek for me. You want freedom. You think this is science and religion."

"That is as it seems. How is a vampire controlling such a thing as science?"

The creature nodded and smiled. It was amused. Tru went to his pockets and his hands idled over the guns. He was weighing the guy up but it was hard. Why was he taunting him and not making an action? There was another long silence.

"Science and religion are not what this is about." He said and watched Tru's hands moving. "I am here because if I drank your blood, if I had you as my victim I could learn to control the shadows as you do."

"Not happening." Tru said and watching him. "So you take the blood of the person and can have their talents?"

"Why would I give all my secrets away?" He said stepping back towards the main roads and turning his back on Tru.

"Why aren't you stepping over here?" Tru watching and wondered why he still had not told him who he was."

"The boundary of faith." He stepped towards the main road where traffic whizzed by. "Even in death the souls of the pure protect such places from the condemned. Perhaps with that in mind you can ask yourself how you enter? You consider yourself condemned."

"What would you know about me...?" Tru said and blinked. When he looked again the creature had stepped through the traffic and disappeared. He sighed and looked back at the Cathedral.

If he was to fight and faith was the key then he had some serious soul-searching to do. He didn't fancy some all out war with a creature he couldn't best. If there was to be a battle he needed the right weapon. He stepped in to the Cathedral and headed to the private chapel. There he sat and rested his head on the wooden bench in front of him.

Praying never seemed to provide answers. Did he need faith in his own actions or faith in God? Either way he figured he could be in trouble. He knew what he could do just not if it would be enough. He had killed and was told that would send him to hell, or at least that was his belief. He did not follow the doctrines as strictly as he should and he was called demon more often than human.

Tru looked up at the ceiling and sighed, he could deliberate this all evening. He was no closer to an answer. He jumped slightly when he heard a child's footsteps running towards him. Charlie attached herself to his arm and looked up at him.

"Hello Charlie." He smiled and lifted her up and gave her a hug.

"Tru." She pouted at him in annoyance. "You keep going away. You said you wouldn't leave me."

"Well sweetheart sometimes grown ups don't have a choice." He said to her as he looked into her angry eyes. "I didn't want you to get hurt. Like when we went and you made snow angels. Before that you nearly got hurt."

"You were there. I was okay." She said confidently. "Are you going again? When are we going home?"

"We'll go when I have finished my last meeting. It won't be long baby." He said and she didn't seem all that convinced but she nodded anyway. "Good girl." He set her back on the floor. "So how do you like Thomas?"

"He's okay but he is always reading. I don't find it very fun." She said poking her tongue out at him.

"I get the hint." He smiled.

"Tru." She put her little hands on her hips and looked at the blue eyes. "You are going to have another fight. You are hurt so you should stop now."

"It's not so simple as that." He said.

"You will win." She said and stalked back off to where the sister was who looked after her.

"Glad you think it is that simple." He smiled and looked at the giant crucifix at the front of the chapel. "Then again... maybe it is."
Sign up to rate and review this story