Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Rain

Fresh Air

by RenoTurk 0 reviews

Tru gets a guiding hand in the most unlikely place. London's underground. Please R&R

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Fantasy, Sci-fi - Published: 2007-06-24 - Updated: 2007-06-24 - 1003 words - Complete

0Unrated
So I take shelter in tomorrow
Tomorrow will bring a brand new day
I think I can make it right tomorrow
I think I need more sleep today

Lets play for keeps again tomorrow
I need a pill to stay awake
I guess I'll always hate tomorrow
Until it's far away...

Non-Stop Violence - Apoptygma Berzerk


He noted that as he walked out of the central area of St Paul's Cathedral and got on to the tube that he had no plans about taking on the Grand Master save meeting him face to face. What would happen after? Would more come? Was this Grand Master the end of the line?

He stepped on the tube on the Northern Line and settled down. He had no idea where he was going. It irked him more and more that he was being led around. The tube had one other person on it who was miles away reading their book and at the next stop he stood up and got ready to depart and go and fetch a coffee.

"Tru." The gentle voice of the woman he now knew as Belleza floated past his ears. "Please step back on to the train."

He did as she asked and looked in to her eyes. She was pretty and softly spoken. Every time he saw her she brought a smile to the stern face. She pressed her hand to his arm and gently affirmed a touch with him.

"I am always pleased to see you." Tru said honestly and settled next to her as the tube pulled off again. He watched the other passenger and then turned back to her.

"You're very sweet." She smiled and put her hand in to his. "You are looking for the Grand Master. You will find him easily enough but I implore you that when you go you try not to disturb those already around him."

"Who is around him?" Tru asked his voice sounding more demanding than he really meant. "I mean please could you tell me?"

"The dead, spirits of those that have yet to realise they area dead." She said as they headed through the dark tunnels. "He is in one of the seven cemeteries here." She moved some of her hair from her face. "Can you talk with the dead Hellion?"

"I have never tried." He said as the doors slid open. The remaining passenger stepped off the train and they were left alone in the carriage.

"Be warned of them Tru." She said and turned to look in his eyes. "They are pained things. They are not belonging of this world and so they seek to destroy its occupants minds."

"And this vampire?"

"Will be unaffected by them as he is already amongst them. Re-animated and some say that it is a high price to pay for immortality. His body and his soul do not rot but he has been dead for so long that he no longer values the living. Each night the dead will invite him to their world but he knows more than anyone else he is cursed. He is too frightened of the dark pits to let his soul answer their call."

"I'm still learning." He said looking gently around and watching the map for their stops.

She smiled gently at him and then pressed her lips to his. He closed his eyes, a cool feeling of her skin on his passed over him. He opened them again and she was still there. His hand closed around hers and he smiled.

"Get off at Archway station, it will be a ten minute walk through the park. There is a cemetery there in the village of Highgate and there in the western side you will find the tomb of Julius Beer. He is not the creature but he would arrive if you waited there."

"Will you be waiting when I arrive the other side?" He asked her as he stood up at Archway.

"I think I can manage that." She nodded with a gentle smile. "Whatever side you appear I will be able to see you."

"Not perhaps the most instilling of answers." He smiled as the doors opened and he stepped off. He turned to see if Belleza would follow but she carried on to the next stop. He pulled his coat closer and headed up out of the station at Archway. He stepped on to the busy road and began his walk up the hill towards the park.

It was a pleasant walk through sculpted lakes and up in to Swains Lane. The Cemetery was split in to two sides and he moved to the right and in to the Western Gates. They were closed at night but it didn't stop him as he passed through and in to the large courtyard where mourners once would have gathered.

Tru stepped to the right hand path and began the ascent in to the cemetery. He thought of her words and of how the dead might be woken. It was not a comforting thought, he mused, as he stepped up the pebble and mudded path. Once the paths would have been a pretty obsidian inlay and now after years of neglect it was remnants and restoration on the graveyard was a slow expensive process.

Taking a short trip up to a higher level he looked around. He had no idea where the Mausoleum of this Julius person was and he was sure he'd be searching all night. He settled on the edge of a Greek looking grave.

"Talk to the dead." He muttered. "Well maybe they would be happier to give me the bloody instructions."

He looked around at the night sky and sighed. He still have no idea what was going to happen if he did beat this creature and how old must it be if it had organised these things for so long? He looked around at the silent graveyard and flexed his injured shoulder. It was going to be a long night.
Sign up to rate and review this story