Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Stumbling Blind Side Stories

High, Clear Summer Sky

by Virgo 0 reviews

An existential romance.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Characters:  Ino, Shikamaru - Published: 2005-05-08 - Updated: 2005-05-08 - 1547 words

0Unrated
High, Clear Summer Sky

ShikaIno vague drabble. Pseudo-side story to Stumbling Blind. Set a couple years later (16-18 years or older, if you like). Product of too much KareKano.

~~~*~

Moments like these I treasure above most. No matter how many times we kiss, how many times he holds on to me, these are the moments I think upon most tenderly because they are the most honest. They are the times we're truly honest with ourselves and each other.

~~~*~

His silence would wrap her up and keep her warm. His mere presence meant more to her than any words could. Because he was there and he was who he was. And he was the most precious thing in her life and he felt the same way about her. She had lost count how many times she told him she loved him. She could count how many times he said the same, but it didn't matter to her. She didn't need to hear the words from him (even though every time he did, she fell in love with him all over again) because in every careful touch and every kind smile she saw the words plainly in his eyes. He loved her and never once did she doubt it.

It was almost frightening how much she felt for him. When he left it felt like she was slowly dying without him. She didn't know what to do, she felt useless. She hated herself whenever he wasn't nearby. Every time he was gone, she wondered how long it would be until her heart burst open from all the sadness and loneliness. And every time he was there the more she loved him. The longer he spent away, the more she came to care about him and every time he returned, it was the same familiar feeling welling up inside, that made her feel like she couldn't breath, made her feel frightened being around him because the intensity of her emotions towards him scared her. And when that happened, she hated herself whenever he was there.

But every time he would turn to her with that small smile and tell her he loved her. And the constricting emotion would break into something high and clear and all she could do is hold him until her heart stopped sobbing against his. She didn't know if it was possible to love someone too much, but she never wanted to stop loving him.

~~~*~

I don't want it to stop. I want to keep getting closer and closer. No matter how close we are, I want to get closer. I want to be together, immerse myself entirely in her. I don't want to spend another moment by myself, only as me.

~~~*~

Maybe he was frightened that she would change every time he wasn't there. He was always afraid of something whenever he left and it never had to do with him. He wanted to be there with her, he hated leaving her side. He wanted to stay with her and be with her and never have to be him without her. He wanted them to be together and only together. Maybe the reason he was so frightened when he left was because that feeling would only become stronger and every time he returned and saw her it was so hard to not want to be with her any way he could.

He didn't want to frighten her off, but the feeling wouldn't stop growing. He wondered if his heart would burst, overflowing with thoughts and feelings that centered around her only. It was always there no matter what they did. Even when she yelled at him or they were doing something childish, even when he acted annoyed the only thing he could think of was wanting to hold her and posses her and never let her go. If something ever happened to keep him from doing so, he didn't know what he would do.

It felt like he was going crazy, thinking these things. He wondered what she would say if she ever found out. He had to be near her because when he wasn't, the feeling would grow and only by being with her did his heart ever feel calm.

~~~*~

I want these times to last. I want us to be together and never be apart. I want to know myself as the person with you because you're what matters to me. You're the most precious thing in my life and I don't think I could ever give it up.

~~~*~

She liked it whenever they were up on the hill because it was just a world for them up there. In the warm grass in the warm sun with the cool breeze. Just the clouds and the sky and each other. No one else went up there, it was just a world for them and she loved it because it meant no one would take him away from her. It meant that she wouldn't be helpless because he's not there.

She especially liked it when it rained. They didn't care, they'd huddle against each other as they walked back to town. He'd stop at the bus station and he'd wipe her hair and face dry with a handkerchief. She loved the feel of his hands on her and she'd nuzzle into it. She'd stand closer to him to keep warm and he'd put his hands on her shoulders. They'd stand there and wait for the rain to stop or they'd decide to go somewhere else and they always did it hand in hand.

She didn't know if it meant that she was happy to be so thoroughly possessed, but she didn't want him to turn his gaze from her. She had his attention and he was willing to give her all of it. It gave her stillness and she didn't want to let it go.

~~~*~

If I lost myself to you entirely, I wouldn't care. Because I love you and I want to be forever with you. I feel like if I weren't with you I'd break and I wouldn't be able to find me again but sometimes when I'm with you it feels like it's not enough and I'm going crazy unless I can be closer to you.

~~~*~

Sometimes when she went home with him he'd just sit there and look at her. No matter how many times she was in his room she would always look around as if there was something she never noticed before. No matter how many times she was in his room he would look at her and he would see something about her that he never had before and he loved it and it made his love for her grow. He'd sit there and watch her and his heart would ache painfully because he could never feel close enough. He wanted to be with her as much as he could be, he wanted to hold her and touch her and speak to her through his heart.

He loved the moments that they'd just sit together, the feel of her in his arms and the warmth of her skin and her soft hair and the gentle smell of her perfume like wildflowers in a sun drenched field. He looked at her and he could see the sky and the sun and feel the soft clouds and he wanted to drown in her because it felt like he was drowning in his emotions for her.

He wanted to hold her and kiss her and love her eternally but he was afraid to because if he started he was afraid that he wouldn't know how to stop. He was afraid of where that may put them next and afraid that he may frighten her off. But then she'd look up at him and smile and tell him it was all right and he wanted to cry against her because it felt as if she took the weight off his floundering heart and let it dive into her endless sky.

~~~*~

Even if the world blurred and changed, even if it felt as if I were falling, it doesn't matter because I know you're there. You're there with me and you're holding me and catching me. In the safety of your arms you're all I need to know because, lost in each other, you're the only thing that matters. And for you I would give up myself because I'd rather be a part of you than not at all.

~~~*~

The sun reached its highest point and flashed and the cool wind blew. The scent of flowers and grass and wood mingled to a fragrant that covered the hill and they lay there, together, in each other. And nothing else mattered because they were where they wanted to be. Next to each other and belonging to the other.

They didn't have to say anything, together and not someone that could be without the other, because sometimes even 'I love you' isn't enough.
Sign up to rate and review this story