Categories > Cartoons > Class of the Titans > Hecate's Aftermath

Realization

by tsuki-girl 2 reviews

Jay, unable to leave Theresa's side, discovers the source of his heartache.

Category: Class of the Titans - Rating: G - Genres: Angst, Romance - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2007-07-08 - Updated: 2007-07-09 - 1158 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter four! I wrote most of this a couple months ago when I was all pumped from being finished school, but then I got writer's block and left it for a while. Hehe.... I'm bad, I know.

As always, Class of the Titans is property of Studio B and all of their people. I do not own the characters, layouts or even part of this story which I have taken from the episode "Meet You at the Crossroads". I'm just a crazy fan.

Oh, and before I forget; thank you everyone for your wonderful reviews! I really appreciate them! Thank you for reading and enjoy Chapter 4.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thinking back over the night's events, Jay couldn't stop replaying his actions over and over again in his head. Archie had fallen, hurting his ankle. Forced to remain behind while the others went to the theatre, Jay had told Theresa....practically promised her!.....that if anything came up, he'd be there. Her face had lit up as she smiled at his words and in his heart he knew at that moment that he'd do anything to keep her safe.

'Some protector I turned out to be.'

His actions were almost laughable now. When the zombies began attacking, finding their way through Odie's monitor and into the room, Jay knew that now was the time to act. Theresa needed him; he was sure of it. But for some reason...possibly due to temporary insanity...Athena's words regarding her Halloween cake had made total sense. So without taking his sword or staff, he had crossed into another dimension armed with a dessert.

Although he greatly respected Athena, somehow thinking that Hecate would immediately become pacified by the delicious offering in hindsight seemed ridiculous. And his actions even more so.

Slapping his palm against his forehead in disgust, Jay painfully remembered what had happened next. He had taken one look at the witch, who had made some off-handed comment about saving the cake for later, and before he could react...before he could even think of what to do next...electric purple cords of magic flew from Hecate's fingertips, trapping him and his comrades in a binding spell.

And then.

Then, instead of being the hero he had told Theresa he would be, instead of finding away to free himself from the magic which held him and coming to her aid, what had he done? What had he said when she alone faced down their enemy?

'Theresa! Do something...'

He had sat there paralyzed like a fool and told the girl he had come to save to save herself.

"Augh!" Jay choked out in anguish, clenching his fists in anger at the memory. "I'm so pathetic..." he whispered.

At that moment, Theresa stirred ever so slightly and let out a quite moan, snapping Jay free of his thoughts. Shifting positions so that he was kneeling beside the bed, Jay leaned over and studied his ward. Her breathing was deep and even. Her body relaxed. Smiling slightly with the knowledge that Theresa was still sleeping peacefully, the teen tried to relax himself. But all he could think about was how lucky they had been.

"You could have been killed..." Jay whispered, brushing the back of his finger lightly across Theresa's forehead.

'And it would have been my fault.'

In agony at this revelation, Jay repositioned himself and slumped once more against the bedroom wall. His chest was tight with grief as he looked out at the moon which had been gracefully descending to the other side of the horizon. It was beautiful.

"Why?" he asked the hanging orb of white. "Why am I such a failure? I'm supposed to be the leader, so why..." Jay couldn't even finish his thought. His heart hurt so much from the seemingly countless emotions raging through him that he thought he might be overwhelmed.

He knew he was angry at himself - angry for not being a better leader, angry for letting his team mates down. For letting Theresa down.

'Theresa...'

And from that anger came guilt. Feels of guilt brought on by his inability to help during the time of need. It was his fault, he reasoned, that Theresa now lay in bed beside him, exhausted from the fight she had ultimately battled alone.

'Alone...and all I could do was sit there. Sit there and be...'

Jay's eyes shot wide open that instant as the thought finally registered in his mind.

'Sit there and be...'

"Afraid," he whispered.

Suddenly, everything fell into place - his guilt, anger, the pain in his heart which had been escalating in force ever since Theresa had collapsed in his arms. It all amounted to one, single fact.

'I'm afraid of losing her.'

As he admitted this to himself, Jay knew that it wasn't just because the prophecy would remain unfulfilled. There was more to it than that; he knew it now. Knew it because he could feel the pain in his chest begin to ease - the truth was setting him free.

But at the same time, he knew that there was still more to his revelation. More that he needed to finally accept in his heart and mind. It was a feeling that had been growing but also kept hidden for a while now. One that he tried to ignore, since its acknowledgement could prove dangerous to the team's safety. But now after the night's events, he knew it could no longer be denied.

Stunned at what he was about to admit, Jay stared up at the moon as a certain girl's smiling image flashed before his eyes.

'I'm afraid of losing Theresa because...'

'I...'

"No," he said firmly, snapping his head down and shutting his eyes as his heart immediately protested.

He sat there for a moment in silence, willing himself to focus on what he had said. But he felt torn; his mind telling him to do one thing and his heart, another.

"No..." he repeated, trying to sound more confident. He felt miserable.

Exhaling in exhaustion, Jay leaned his head against the wall and glanced over at Theresa. He watched her sleeping form for a moment before the growing pain in his heart forced him to look away.

'I can't.'

Determined to leave it at that, Jay forced himself to concentrate on getting some sleep. Glancing across the room at the digital red glow of Theresa's clock poised in the darkness, he knew that the sun would be rising in only a few hours. It was time to rest. His mind made up, Jay closed his eyes and tried to relax against the wall. Slowly his mind with its endless thoughts and worries began to cease racing. Yet his heart continued to ache. It would be another thirty minutes before he would fall into a fitful sleep.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm...shorter chapter, but it felt right to end it there. Until next time for what I am 99% sure to be the last chapter!
Sign up to rate and review this story