Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Almost

Chapter Five- Where I Almost Did Five Years And Then Seven More.

by Silvana 2 reviews

In Which She Meets Grandma Helena.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance - Characters: Gerard Way, Mikey Way - Published: 2007-07-10 - Updated: 2007-07-10 - 1096 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter Five- Where I Almost Did Five Years And Then Seven More.

"You wrote Helena about your Grandmother. Was that just the grief or what?"
"Ah, well. When you got down it the whole album was just the grief of two little boys who'd lost their grandmother. So yeah, I guess it was.

Flashback- 4th December 1996

"You're really fit."
Leah tried to smile as the drunken student continued to hit on her as she sat on the cold bench. "So how about it?" he continued. He wasn't even cute; wasn't even vaguely passable.
"I'm sorry." She wrinkled her nose at the smell of stale alcohol on his breath. "I'm in a relationship."
"Doesn't matter," he said slimily, inching closer towards her. "So am I."
Leah's gaze hardened, her blue eyes turning cold. "Then I hope they know how loyal you are. "
"Baby, don't be like that," he murmured, coming closer and closer. She was about to lash out at him and damage parts of his anatomy that he would probably prefer to be left untouched when there was a voice behind them. "I assume he was just leaving?"
The drunken boy turned around, almost falling over. "I assume you're the boyfriend?" he slurred.
"No." Leah informed the drunkard. "I'm actually lesbian and he's just a mate."
The student looked stunned, then staggered away, meandering across the path.
"I'm just a mate am I?" Gerard asked, arching an eyebrow. Leah smiled at him, standing up and winding her arms around him. "No Gee," she breathed in his ear. "You're much, much more."
He beamed at her as she slipped into step beside him as his arm slipped round her waist. "So birthday girl, hope you like food."
She looked quizzically at him. "Why?" she asked suspiciously. "Where are we going?" She was wearing a dark denim miniskirt that was long enough to be decent but short enough to show off her legs. Because it was December and because Leah wasn't entirely thick she'd teamed it with opaque black tight and suede like, knee high black boots. She'd got on a black woolly v-necked jumper top and the black leather jacket that she wore almost everywhere. The only jewellery she was wearing was a silver locket and in one hand swung a black handbag.
"We," Gerard told her with a smile. "Are going to my house. Where you are going to meet my family, because we have been going out for over a year. And." Here he stopped speaking and positively beamed at her. "Mom makes the best pasta you've ever had."
She laughed, the noise floating out into the twilight. "You, Mr Way," she began poking him in the chest. "Are a cheapskate."
Gerard put on his best 'that really hurt me' face as they reached the train station and pouted. She leaned over and kissed him gently on the cheek. "And I'd love to meet your family." She straightened up. "Oh my gosh!" she squealed. "I get to meet Mikey!"
It was Gerard's turn to laugh. "Just don't flirt with him," he cautioned. "It confuses him."
_____________________

Gerard swung open the door and as soon as he did a woman's voice floated out from some where in the house.
"Gerard Way! If you think you're going to sneak off to your room before you've said hello you have another think coming!"
Leah smiled at his embarrassment, as a woman who she assumed was his mom came out and reached him, embracing him.
"See, that wasn't so bad now was it? And who," she began, turning to face Leah. "Is this extremely pretty girl who is standing in our house?"
Leah began to blush, dropping her gaze to the floor, her shoulder length chestnut hair slipping to partially hide her face.
"Hey, don't hide away. You've got to be confident." Leah looked up once more just before she found herself being hugged by Mrs Way.
"But how stupid of me, come in, come in. Happy birthday by the way. Gerard never stops talking about you." She'd begun to walk back to the kitchen as she said this.
"Mom!" Gerard protested, slightly too late.
"So you came then." Someone started. "Eventually." Leah followed the sound till her eyes came to rest on a gangly young teen with glasses right at the end of his nose. "Grandma's been waiting."
Gerard nodded. "Blame the trains." He interlaced his fingers with hers before saying. "Come and meet Grandma Helena."
She nodded, not trusting her voice. For a year it had just been the two of them and now she was being thrown in to meet the whole family. Yes, for once in her life Leah Watkins was scared because this mattered. She could tell by his face and tone of voice that his Grandma was important to him. Actually, she'd know this for a long time, probably about six months. She took a deep breath and prayed she wouldn't mess up.

In an armchair was a tiny woman, with white hair. Her eyes were amazingly dark. She looked exactly like an Elvin woman. Or at least, how Leah imagined an Elvin woman. Leah tentatively smiled and was thoroughly relived when she smiled back. It could have been the sight of her oldest grandson, but Leah didn't care.
"Grandma, this is Leah," Gerard said, after he'd hugged his grandmother.
Leah smiled. "Pleased to meet you."
"And you." Leah was surprised. For such a small woman her voice was fairly loud and strong. "My grandson has told me lots about you. Now come and talk to me so I can see whether he is right."
Leah walked over and sat down next to her. They had to be called three times before they realised that dinner was ready.

_________________________

"It was a lovely night," Leah said as she stood at the door. "Thanks." Donna Way smiled. "No problem. You're always welcome."
Leah smiled back then kissed Gerard on the cheek. "I'll see you tomorrow."
"Oo! Before you go tell mom about your game plan!" he prompted. Leah chuckled. "I'm gonna finish art school, spend five years being a highly paid book illustrator, then seven years being a highly paid artist and then I'm gonna travel the world."
Donna nodded. "I hope you do."
Leah smiled once more and turned and walked off into the night. Gerard walked away from the door, and went to sit next to his grandma. She leaned over to whisper something that made his face fall.
"Be careful of your heart with her. She will have no problems with breaking it."
Sign up to rate and review this story