Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Death Perception

Chapter 18

by horsie890 1 review

Chapter 18. Review already!

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Frank Iero, Gerard Way, Mikey Way, Other - Published: 2007-07-17 - Updated: 2007-07-18 - 1284 words

0Unrated
Gerard yawned and slowly opened his eyes, smiling a little to himself. He finally felt normal again. He stood up and rubbed his eyes, blinking several times, and glanced out the window.

'It's dark,' he thought, smiling again. 'Things are definitely getting back to normal.' He opened the door and walked into the living room, somewhat surprised at what he saw. Both Frank and Jamia were asleep on the sofa. He resisted laughing in case he woke them up. Returning to the hallway, he noticed the door leading to Alicia's room was open. He frowned and walked over to it, glancing inside. He didn't see her.

This immediately sent waves of panic through his mind. Alicia wasn't there. He raced up the stairs to Mikey's room to tell him, but stopped at the door. He heard soft voices from within, and decided to listen.

"What song is this?" Alicia murmured, sounding sleepy.

"'Romance,'" Mikey answered. "The vocals don't start until the next track."

"I like it," she said with a light laugh. Gerard could only smile. He liked it, too. He began walking back down the stairs. His thoughts were interrupted by the all-too-familiar sound of his ringtone, a recording of one of his own songs. He found himself singing along and quickly answered it, recognizing the number.

"Hey, Eliza," he said in a low voice, leaning against the wall in a place where he could watch Frank. The sight still amused him.

"Hey," she said in a sad, slightly raspy voice. It sounded like she had been crying.

"What's wrong?" he asked. He was immediately worried.

"I- I don't know how to tell you this." Fear washed over him. He sat down in a reclining chair close by.

"Tell me what?" he whispered. There was a long pause.

"We can't get married," she finally said. Gerard felt like someone had ripped his heart in half.

"Why?" he asked. His words finally caused Frank to wake up. Gerard immediately locked eyes with him, completely freezing his mind. He didn't want anyone to know just yet.

"It would never work. You know it wouldn't," she said tearfully. He let out a deep sigh, staring at the gold ring adorning his left hand. It was the exact color of any other vampire's eyes. Not his eyes, though. They never changed. He blinked several times, seeing the world before him become thinly veiled with black.

He was crying.

"I know," he replied sadly. He knew this had to be difficult for her, too.

"You'll probably hate me for this, but..." She drew a deep breath. "Can we still be friends?"

"Of course," he said quickly. "I'll always care about you, no matter what. Even if-" It was his turn to pause and breathe. "Even if we can't be together." He dropped his gaze to the floor. There no question; Frank had to be able to read his thoughts now. He tried to keep his mind as blank as possible.

"I really am sorry, Gerard," she said softly. "I hope you know that."

"I do." He ended the call. 'If I only I could have said those words in a different situation.' He wasn't even trying to hold back the poisonous tears now. They fell like drops of black ink.

"What's happened, Gee?" Frank murmured, too quietly for Jamia to hear.

"How much did you hear?" Gerard asked.

"You and Eliza are only friends now," he said darkly. "Something's wrong. You've only been engaged for-"

"-a month," Gerard finished. "She was just being reasonable. It wouldn't work. Both of us knew it."

"But that doesn't make it hurt any less."

Mikey narrowed his eyes and listened carefully. He could almost feel tears sparking at the back of his own eyes.

"What is it?" Alicia asked with worry in her tone. He sighed.

"It's my brother. He was engaged...but he's not anymore. I'm not entirely sure why." Alicia gasped.

"What's he saying?" she asked, approaching him. He closed his eyes to listen better.

"He saw it coming," Mikey said with a sigh. "I did, too. See, he wasn't engaged to another vampire." He turned to face her. "Eliza - his fiancée - was a werewolf." Alicia remained silent for several moments.

"I'm guessing he's not taking it well."

"He's devastated," Mikey muttered, turning away from her to face the wall. Alicia walked towards him and wrapped her arms around his neck. He quickly turned around and embraced her, too fast for her to know anything happened. But it didn't matter to her.

"Something else is wrong," she said decidedly. He muttered an affirmative response, then pulled away just enough to look into her eyes.

"I wasn't finished talking to you," he said more clearly. "There's...something else we need to discuss. This is only a reminder of it." Alicia nodded.

"What?"

"Not here. Somewhere else." Mikey walked over to the window and opened it, closely followed by Alicia. He picked her up and leapt to the ground, running along the familiar path. He stopped after a minute or so, setting her down gently.

She looked to the sky to see a golden light flooding over a low mountain range in the distance, casting dark shadows over the forest. Then she looked at where they were. The light danced across a vast expanse before her, glittering like hundreds of brilliant golden stars. She simply stared at it in shock, not knowing what to say.

"What is this?" she asked breathlessly. Mikey smiled.

"This is a lake. And that," he said, motioning to the sky, "is the sunset." Alicia slowly walked toward the edge of the lake, noting that the sparkles of light receded as she approached. She knelt on the ground and tentatively touched the place where she had seen the sparkles begin. The substance felt like liquid ice and danced at her touch. She pulled back immediately.

"And what's this?" she asked Mikey as he approached as well. He laughed in spite of himself.

"Water. You should know that." Alicia frowned at his words.

"I didn't think it could exist so cold."

"Trust me, it can be colder," he said with a laugh. He sat on the ground, legs folded beneath him, and Alicia joined him.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" she asked, still staring at the field of glittering light and water before them.

"Well, it's become very clear to me that relationships between vampires and anyone else never work. We're supposed to hate wolves and eat humans." He wrapped an arm around her shoulders as he spoke, sending a faint wave of warning through her mind. She ignored it, shivering at his cold touch. "And I guess if you think about it...we can't really be together unless I kill you."

Alicia suddenly broke away, glaring at him. "Let's get something straight here," she said in all seriousness. He felt like laughing at the look on her face, though. "We obviously don't view death the same way. You consider death to be lacking a heartbeat, don't you?" Mikey nodded.

"That's the general idea."

"Well, I consider death to be lacking life. And, well..." She moved closer to him, and he wrapped an arm around her shoulders again. "I can't live without you. So forcing us to be apart would be death to me."

Mikey just stared at her. Her words actually made sense.

"And since you don't want to kill me..." He leaned closer to her. The world seemed to slow to a halt. Alicia closed her eyes, so he did the same.

The rustle of leaves nearby caused Mikey to look away from her. And that was when Bob burst into the clearing.
Sign up to rate and review this story