Categories > Original > Sci-Fi > World Tour

Chapter 07 - KEY

by CCero 0 reviews

The origin of their abilities is finally revealed. What nefarious plans fester within the confines of the KEY institution?

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Sci-fi - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2005-12-19 - Updated: 2005-12-20 - 686 words

0Unrated
Founded in the late 1960s, KEY is a research institution based out of Great Britain for the purpose of studying the metaphysical properties of raw energy. Originally a non-profit organization, KEY evolved into a branch of Britain's Secret Intelligence Service in 1978. As of today, it is now once again a separate organization, but operates as a multi-million dollar corporation.

While KEY does have a board of directors, it is primarily under the leadership of Sebastian Yvonne Graev, who has worked with the institution since it's early years. Originally dealing with spiritual awareness and healing, KEY is now primarily concerned with using raw energy from living organisms as a weapon.

In late 2003, KEY began work on a project under the title of Project DBZ. Project DBZ was for the research and development of using one's energy to manipulate the density of the air around them, creating spheres of condensed energy which could be used as explosives. The problem with this project was that, by physics standards, this was literally impossible without some kind of outside interference with the structure of the air. Since Project DBZ was inconclusive with it's findings, Sebastian Graev ordered the developmental research of Project Slash and Project DBZ was consequently closed.

Project Slash's objective was to rectify the problem which plagued Project DBZ. Graev had ordered the construction of a machine, codenamed Spiderweb, which could be used to literally rip open air as a solid matter. Graev believed that in doing so, the dense space where air once stood could be used to harness energy into explosive energy spheres. However, due to the funds that would be required to build Spiderweb, Project Slash would be an ongoing project for many years. To prepare for Project Slash's completion, Project DBZ was re-opened and research and development continued.

Come late 2004, the funds needed to completely finish Project Slash had come about, and Spiderweb's first test was to be run on December 29th, 2004. While simulation assured that there would be no complications with Spiderweb's duties, a fatal error in Spiderweb's mechanisms had occurred during the initial test run. The test was quickly aborted, but not without Graev seeing some promising results.

As Spiderweb could be used on a miniscule level, Graev recruited certain individuals to be used as guinea pigs for Project DBZ. The results were underwhelming, but it was more than enough to be used effectively. This select group of individuals came to be collectively known as Hunters, and were used to carry out KEY's objectives outside of their research labs.

It later became aware that Spiderweb's malfunction during it's test run had caused a rapidly spread 'rift' in the air. This, accidentally, 'leaked' the abilities of the Project DBZ out for global use among random people. Because of the dangers which could be associated from any average Joe learning how to harness such powers, Graev ordered an execution protocol for the Hunters to seek out and destroy any man, woman, or child (and, on a smaller level, animals) that appeared to have acquired such abilities. Graev quickly recalled the command, realizing the threat was not as high as it seemed, and personally gathered information on beings which appeared to have acquired abilities.

Graev's ambitions for KEY soon took a turn for the worse. Realizing that the potential of Hunters and Dogs (Graev's codename for outsiders having the abilities) could be used to his advantage, he decided to go out and personally meet with as many Dogs as he possibly could in order to acquire their allegiance to KEY. If the Dog refused, a Hunter would quickly execute them.

Graev's tyrannical ambition for a global society lead by KEY (or rather, himself using the name of KEY) eventually lead to Project Freeze in early 2005. Information on Project Freeze is scarce, as it has no physical records, and all information on Project Freeze is known only mentally by Graev and a few select researchers. The popular rumor around KEY's researchers is that Project Freeze is the construction of an ultimate lifeform beyond the level of a Hunter, but no concrete evidence for that has been found.
Sign up to rate and review this story