Categories > Cartoons > Delilah and Julius > The Last Night

Author's Note

by panda_1418 3 reviews

Just read.

Category: Delilah and Julius - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-09-01 - Updated: 2007-09-01 - 422 words

0Unrated
Author's Note


I wrote this story because, sadly, I have friends going through this – the abuse, the cutting, and the feelings of abandonment. In-between writing the chapter DENIAL and the chapter AFTERMATH, I went to Camp Chamisal and got a whole different perspective.

During the testimony night, I almost felt ashamed. My friend Jesse had gone through Grade Nine thinking she was alone, and turned back to drugs. And I had no idea. I should have talked with her, but she hung out with the “popular” crowd and I am afraid of them – of their judgement. A recent study shows that 13 out of ever 1,000 kids are abused. So in your average high school, that’s 25 or 26 students – 7 or 8 people in your class.

My other friend Evan was a victim of bullying, which caught me off guard completely. I couldn’t understand how anyone could not like this kid. And again, I had no idea.

The one that scared me the most was my friend Joel. He’s honestly the happiest, craziest person in the world – again, impossible to dislike. And I learned that he was suicidal because he thought no one would miss him.

Suicide is the fourth leading cause of death in Canada in people ages 15 to 24. It’s the leading cause of death in people ages 10 to 24. Ten year-olds killing themselves – what is wrong with our world?

At the beginning of Grade Nine, I had similar thoughts. I figured that if I killed myself, no one would really care. But hearing Joel and Jesse say those same things, I thought, “Geeze, guys, are you oblivious? I love you so much, and you think that no one would care if you killed yourself?” And it hit me – I’d thought those same things about myself as well. Also, I remembered that even if I feel completely abandoned by everyone, I can always turn to one friend: Jesus.

Now you all might be going, “HOLY CRAP, JESUS HUGGER! HOW LAME!!” but I don’t really care. It’s nice to know that no matter what, there’s always someone to turn to. If you liked the song, THE LAST NIGHT, then I’d also suggest YOURS TO HOLD by Skillet.

So basically, I just want to dedicate this to everyone out there who thinks that no one will miss you if you kill yourself. It’s the Devil putting those ideas in your head, because trust me, I’d hate to be that friend if you ever gave up.

Thanks for reading =]
Sign up to rate and review this story