Categories > Cartoons > Class of the Titans > Girlfriend

Why Can't We Be Friends?

by jengrey 0 reviews

No one spoke but Theresa began to wiggle out of Herry’s now loosened grip. ‘I’m so done with this crap and this crap house and crap people,’ she ran upstairs and snuggled into the sheets,...

Category: Class of the Titans - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Published: 2007-09-12 - Updated: 2007-09-12 - 715 words

0Unrated
Chapter 11: Why Can’t We be Friends?

Theresa came down the stairs to receive worrisome looks from Jay, tears from Atlanta, quizzical looks from Herry and Odie, and final raised eyebrows from Neil.
‘What?’ She asked as she sat down at the breakfast table, but gathered no food.
No one answered her and finished their breakfast.
‘Ugh,’ she grunted and bolted out of the room, clutching her bag around her stomach as she started her car. ‘Stupid Jay, why does he have to be so—never mind…?’
She entered school petrified that someone would see her like this, this hideous creature of the night. She roamed the halls even after the bell had rung and slipped into history class when the teacher was on another droning drag so she came in unnoticed.
‘…And then so it shows that Mackenzie’s great mistake was that he and his army attacked too soon when the soldiers were really just reloading their guns. Of course that is just review for you all so that leads to your homework which…’
Her day went on just as usual, no lunch and late to class.

She walked back home slowly, her feet trudging in the colorful autumn leaves. She wept the entire way. Theresa quietly closed the door behind her as she entered the Brownstone, wiping her tear strewn face. She turned to face the others, all concerned.
‘Theresa,’ Atlanta began but she finished for her.
‘No, Atlanta I don’t want to hear it. Just—just leave alone. All of you, especially you Jay.’
‘Theresa wait,’ Herry said as he held onto her arm and refused to let it go even when she struggled. He picked her up, feeling the ribs of the girl he was carrying to the couch easily, causing him to wince in fright. ‘Theresa we need to talk to you, and that needs to happen now. Why can’t we all just be friends again?’ Herry looked from everyone back to Theresa. ‘There are all these problems now but if we all just stick by each other we’ll get through.

‘Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends...?
Why can't we be friends?’

No one answered Herry’s question, so he continued.

‘We’ve been around here for a long long time
I really remember you when you drank my virgin wine

‘Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends?’

Herry turned to Archie, who was covering his face with his hands and looked at Atlanta, holding her knees to her chest.

‘You saw her walkin’ down the hallway
you called her but she could not look your way
I pay my money in the lunch line
I see ya standing in it every time,

‘Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends,’

At this point Odie stood up and added in,

‘The color of our skin don't matter to me
As long as we can live in harmony,’

‘I'd kinda' like to be the president,’ Neil sang as he sat up.
‘So I could show you how your money's spent!’

‘Why can't we be friends,’ All three sang, standing up.
‘Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends

‘Sometimes he don't speak right
But yet you know what he’s talking about
We have our hidden secret
No one will ever spill it

‘Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends

‘Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends

‘Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends

‘Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends?’

No one spoke but Theresa began to wiggle out of Herry’s now loosened grip.
‘I’m so done with this crap and this crap house and crap people,’ she ran upstairs and snuggled into the sheets, leaving everyone crying on the inside.
Sign up to rate and review this story