Categories > Cartoons > Class of the Titans > Never Too Late

Pictures

by ernie_the_leprechaun 3 reviews

Jay's chapter. The song is Pictures of You by The Last Goodnight. It wasn't the spng I had originally planned to be in the chapter, but I couldn't find the full lyrics of the other one, so this one...

Category: Class of the Titans - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-09-21 - Updated: 2007-09-22 - 829 words - Complete

0Unrated
How could they be so happy? Couldn't they see where they were, the beautiful fields of sweet grass and flowers that seemed to go on forever, the cloudless sky, tinged pink by the setting sun, and the flawlessness in general? It was not the unnatural beauty of the place that was unsettling, no. It was what it meant, what it represented. Jay, as well as them, was dead, dead and alone.

*
This is the cloak up on the wall
This is the story of us all
This is the first sound of a newborn child before he has to crawl
*

The story of Jay's life was a simple one, he had mused on it while listening to the words spoken above his coffin the day he was laid in the cold earth. He was the eldest of three siblings, he had a mother and father who loved him dearly, letting him get away with anything because he knew to toe the line. He was the over-achiever who got good grades, the talented boy who excelled in sports and other amusements alike. The pride and joy of his family, he was a hard worker, goal-oriented looker who could still get all the girls. He brought light into the lives of all who knew him.

*
This is the war that's never won
This is the soldier and his gun
This is the mother by the phone praying for her son
*

well, not all who knew him. Not at the end, anyway. What had happened to him, to lead him so astray? Why had he given up everything he could have ever wanted, everything he wanted now? It had all seemed so simple then. Until he saw the pictures.

*
Pictures of you
Pictures of me
Hung up on your wall for the world to see
Pictures of you
Pictures of me
Reminding us all of what we used to be
*

The first picture was of them, when they had first come to New Olympia. They had just been a group of misfits, kids from all walks of life, all social circles and standings, forced together be fate, united to save the world. None of them had a clue what they were doing, yet all of them had their own unique ways to bring to the group. Herry wasn't only physically strong, he was the one you would lean on whenever you needed support. Neil, the boy born lucky. How is it that, whenever he was directly involved, they always won? Nobody could tell. Odie, the smart one. A whole year younger than him, he was a whole lot smarter than Jay too, when it came to everything.

Here, was when the picture began to fall apart. Atlanta, Jay, Archie, and Theresa, the final figures in the picture. Who, outside the four of them, could really say what had happened, who was to blame, who was innocent. The answer was obvious and he knew it, yet Jay had become one to never admit to his imperfections.

*
There is a drug that cures it all
Blocked by the governmental wall
We are the scientists inside the lab just waiting for the call
This earthquake weather has got me shaking
Inside I am high and dry
*

There had been a cure, sure enough, for the problems that had ripped the group to shreds. The second picture Jay had been shown was the one of his own death, his and Archie's. Archie had died for Theresa, their love running so deeply that he would have done anything for her. What had he done for her? Broke her heart, used her, and then died, without apology or sentiment spared. Would he have given her one, had the opportunity arose? Somehow, he doubted it, yet seeing their happiness now was killing him all over again, enough that it would have tempted him.

*
Pictures of you
Pictures of me
Hung up on your wall for the world to see
Pictures of you
Pictures of me
Reminding us all of what we used to be
*

The third picture, the one they lived in now, was split. His side held the deepest of sorrows, of envies, of spite. He had no right to begrudge them happiness, yet he did. She had smiled at him like that once...no, she didn't. She never loved him, only Archie, only stupid, stupid Archie.

Jay went inside his new house, walking up to a wall. The wall was covered with pictures, of him and Theresa, him and Altanta, and everyone else he had ever known and loved, or had once loved. He thought they would bring him happiness, the comfort he had long sought, the closeness, but they didn't. They served only as a reminder, a sour reminder, of what they used to be.

*
Pictures of you
Pictures of me
Hung up on your wall for the world to see
Pictures of you
Pictures of me
Reminding us all of what we used to be
*
Sign up to rate and review this story