Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Rain

Still Air

by RenoTurk 0 reviews

Tru is forced to make a truce with the vampire

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Sci-fi - Published: 2007-09-30 - Updated: 2007-09-30 - 831 words - Complete

0Unrated
Condemnation
Tried
Here on the stand
With the book in my hand
And truth on my side

Condemnation – Depeche Mode


Whirling mists surrounded both Hellion and the vampire. They had watched the light pass them by, a soul destined to the great towers. The towers stood in the background defiant of all things in a midnight blue hue of colours. The treachery of humanity and despicable souls marred the bleak landscape. They howled out and wanted to drag others with them but the Ferrymen saved those they could. On the boats of the river they could not be harmed or driven from their course.

The vampire had lost some of his resolve as he watched the floating figures pass them by. They were barely recognisable as human. They were hideously deformed by anger and resentment for things in their life that they had never learnt to let go of. Hellion wondered if that was indeed how they would end up and why had he been able to call up the prayer to cross over since birth. Was he that tainted by the evil or not?

“Get this over and done with.” Snarled the vampire rushing towards him and Hellion was not expecting it.

The Grand Master collided with Hellion and they slid along close to the riverbank. Water rushed soundlessly beneath them. The vampire looked in to the water. Dead watered souls swam around and as life touched the shores they began to swim over like fish waiting for food to be fed. The analogy was not far off.

Hellion took the moment he was mesmerised to kick out of the hold and roll off to one side. They both stood up and looked at the area. Hellion dived on to a Ferryman’s boat and over to the opposite side where another empty boat was crossing. He landed without noise and the ground began to twist and warp around him.

The Grand Master grumbled, as he could not cross the water in that manner. He spotted a twisted foul bridge and ran across it. The landscape vaguely mirrored London’s but it was twisted and warped. The perceptions of the physical world seemed to hold no purpose. The bridge was one crossing the Thames of that they were both sure.

“Where do you explain your science now? Tru said his voice carrying across the wide-open space as the vampire ran towards him.

“I never adhered to those ideals. I merely created them.” The vampire told him appearing behind him and throwing a wide punch, which connected with a defending shadow on Hellion’s arm.

“I will not give up the girl.” He countered. “She will make her own choices when she is old enough.” He wrapped one of the cloying shadows around the vampire as it ran towards him. Both of them sensed the oncoming force.

“Here is our first test.” The vampire said as the oncoming shadow looked like a giant running towards them. The shadowed mess became more solid as it ran towards them. It was a renegade spirit full of anger that washed over them striking deep into their bodies and flowing past them. The cold shadows ran through them and right down their spines.

The cold clinging feeling on their bones slowed them both down. They fell to the ground again. Hellion stumbled to his feet first. The touch of death weakened him to the core. His bones felt like lead and his heart was thudding in his chest. He shook and trembled and then he turned to see that the vampire was still struggling.

Both of them stood heaving great breaths in and out as they looked at one another. Hellion stumbled back a few paces and in to a large twisted tree. He felt the ground collapsing beneath him. The vampire got ready to laugh as he considered himself the winner when the Hellions shadows took him down too.

There was no white rabbit or light at the end of the tunnel. They sank through a hideous cloying mass of roots and shadows. Blood dripped from the ceiling as they landed with a thud on the floor.

“Is this hell?” The blue-eyed demon asked.

“I think this is not.” The vampire said dusting himself down. “This must be something else entirely. Quite what I would not know.”

“I think I made a mistake.” Tru let the shadows drop.

“I underestimated you.” The vampire commented.

“What is your name?”

“Why is it suddenly important?”

“If I know it I am less likely to kill you.” He said and straightened his trenchcoat. “Let me and Charlie be and we’ll get to the surface together.”

“Is that your peace time deal?” The vampire laughed. “All right I will agree. I will ensure that you and the child are left alone. Agree not to harm any more of my group and I shall be willing to call a truce.”

“So what is your name?” Tru asked him.
Sign up to rate and review this story