Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Rain

Sudden Calm

by RenoTurk 0 reviews

Tru and the Vampire make a discovery

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Sci-fi - Published: 2007-09-30 - Updated: 2007-09-30 - 856 words - Complete

0Unrated
I'm over it
You see I'm falling in the vast abyss
Clouded by memories of the past
At last, I see

I hear it fading
I can't speak it
Or else you will dig my grave
We fear them finding
Always winding
Take my hand now
Be alive

Disturbed – Forsaken


“So what is your name?” Tru prompted again after another long silence.

“Michael.” He managed to tell him in between looking around the strangely made up area which looked like a Cathedral from a horror film. “Are you only known as Hellion then?”

“Not at all.” Tru said the shadows starting to drop from around him and settling around his feet like animals brushing against him for affection. “My name is Tru but they call me Hellion for some reason.”

“I guess that is fairly obvious as to why. So demon fighting demon is on the Vatican’s list of things to do in the interests of religion is that it?” He smirked as they looked for a door out.

“I don’t know. Some say I am the child of a saint.” Tru’s lips formed a slight smile. “Why are we at war? I mean can anyone even remember the original start of this thing?”

“No idea.” Michael admitted with a shrug. “All I know is your kind come after me so I go after them. In fact when this started before I was born I should think my own creator had something to do with it but he never told me. He just said it was an ancient feud.” Michael rubbed his arm. “I need blood.”

“I need a drink of water.” Tru said and sighed. “We’re gonna have to figure out the key to escaping. All I remember from my tutors is that there is in each realm of existence a key or a portal to the other. You have to figure that out and then you can move to your own world.”

“This is sounding more and more like some messed up fairy tale.” The vampire looked around the room and then spotted a doorway. The archway seemed to lead further in to the Cathedral.

“I know this place.” Tru said stepping out on to the first solid stones since they had arrived. “This is in Italy; it’s a monastery in Palermo only… it doesn’t look correct.”

“What do you mean by that?” He said looking at the empty corridors as they wandered down.

“Well in the monastery the area is lined up with people that are mummified. The dead line the walls. It’s an amazing place but I went there as a child and it scared the hell out of me.” Tru admitted. “It felt like I was being watched constantly.”

“You probably were then.” The vampire said watching the halls carefully. “Strange is it not that we spend our lives as supernaturals and refuse to believe in such things as ghosts watching us? Well I guess now we can be assured that they are.”

Tru stayed quiet as he looked at the halls and found his way around the chapel. It was a large building and he knew the front doors were an exit to the place itself but would it be the key to leaving the shores of the underworld? He stepped out and his solid booted footsteps at least came as some assurance. He looked over his shoulder to see the vampire was watching and taking note of all that passed.

When they reached the front doors Tru slipped through first as is to test the situation. It was night and he was back in the cemetery. He was also rather confused that it had come so easily. He motioned Michael out. Michael stepped back on to his home soil and looked around.

“This is wrong.” The vampire said scanning the area.

“How?” Tru asked.

“Look around you and it seems fine but look behind you.” The vampire smiled.

Tru turned around and behind them there was a crowd of faces. Some of them were from the Victorian period in dress working their way towards more modern fashions. The shadows had retreated and full light from the moon shone down. His hand slid to where his guns would be to find that he could not grasp the cold metal.

The crowd looked back at the intruders annoyed that their society had been interrupted. They were amongst the truly dead spirits. They were in the towers waiting to be moved on by the Ferrymen but trapped now in the cemetery and called back by Tru’s prayers.

“Why must you call us from our rest?” One shouted at him and Tru’s face hardened as the man, one leg mangled floated eerily along side him. “We should be preparing for our afterlife.

“Thousands of souls are buried here.” The vampire muttered as he moved alongside Tru. “Thousands but you cannot recall them all. How interesting.”

“How interesting?” Tru looked at him and growled his question. “How is this interesting? I’ve called the dead from their graves. What do I do with them now?”
Sign up to rate and review this story