Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > "What is a Heart Beat?"

Chapter Eight

by FireChildSlytherin5 3 reviews

AU. Zuko was found in the Forest, half-wild, being attacked by a group of unknown beings wounded severely but yet somehow not effect by the pain afterwards. Read and found out the secret of the Fir...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Horror - Characters: Aang,Katara,Sokka,Zuko - Warnings: [!] [V] [?] - Published: 2007-11-01 - Updated: 2007-11-01 - 2433 words

0Unrated
"What is a Heart Beat?"

-

Summary: AU. Zuko was found in the Forest, half-wild, being attacked by a group of unknown beings wounded severely but yet somehow not effect by the pain afterwards. Read and found out the secret of the Fire Nation, the reason why the nation despise the rest, the reason why the nation seemed cold, and yet...

-

Chapter 8

-

Ba Bum ... the heart beat once.
Ba Bum ... the heart beat twice.
Ba Bum ... the heart beat three times.
Ba Ba Bum ... and the heart beat no more.


-

The city of Omashu or New Ozai as it was renamed before the War ended, is the second largest city in the Earth Kingdom. Omashu sat in the mountain range, surrounded by all sides by steep canyons and enormous gorges. Over in the chasm were the narrow gates into the city. The cites' three gates was composed from massive stone, each of five feet thick and towering over thirty feet high. After the 100 years old war, Omashu stood tall and great. The after math of the war was still seen, as few Fire Nation insignias still branded into stone.

Aang landed Appa next to the entrance of the gates. "Sokka put a bag over Zuko's head. We can't let these people recognize him."

Sokka nodded, smirking, as he pulled out a leather bag from his backpack. Zuko's eyes widen as he watched the water tribe boy approached him, raising the bag above his head.

He couldn't move, he was too weak... Blackness over took him. Unwilling, he let Sokka lend him blindly, feeling the water tribe boy pull him with a robe around his neck like a leash. He felt his feet untied, his hands, palms together, are tied behind his back.

‘/Where are they taking me?’ /Zuko wondered to himself.

Aang, Sokka (dragging Zuko) followed by Katara and Toph walked up one of the earth benders who guarded the gates.

"Young Avatar Aang," said one guard bowing his head. "I am pleased to see you again. My name is Daichi (1). I hope your journey was safe?" Daichi, the earth bender asked him.

"Well... not exactly," Aang said, pointing at bonded Zuko. Daichi looked at them, shocked.

"We need to see the Earth King Bumi immediately. It is regent."

"Of course Avatar Aang! Do you need an escort the...prisoner to the dungeons?"

Aang shook his head. "That is not necessary, thank you. Zu—the prisoner is the reason why we need to see King Bumi. I believe he would like to see the prisoner beforehand."

"Of course." the earth bender said, bowing his head again. He waved his arm, and the gates opened as if by magic. "You and your friends are free to go, Avatar Aang."

"Thank you." Aang said, bowing his head. The guard's face was priceless. Never in his dreams that the Avatar would bow to him; a common earthed bender.

As the Avatar and his friends pass, plus the prisoner, Daichi swear he heard the prisoner snarling under the bag, muttering in Fire Nation. Come and think about it, the prisoner wore what looked like rags that reminded him from Fire Nation...

He shook his head, laughing at himself. He must be losing it. The Fire Nation is all gone; they are all dead, just like the air nomads. He shrugged his shoulders and went back to his post.

-

"That was close." Katara said as the three gates behind them closed.

Aang nodded. "Come on!" they sped though the busy streets towards the palace and entered it.

As the approached the throne room, the earth bender guards opened the door for them, as they entered the room they saw Bumi sitting on his throne, as if he knew that they were coming. King Bumi wore purple robes, with bright pink cover over it, and bright red feathered hat.

Mentally, Aang, Sokka and Katara flinch at the sight of the King. At times, King Bumi would wear ridicules unmatched clothes. One would wonder if Bumi was dropped as a baby. As Aang and the rest of the group approached, the group (minis Toph and Zuko who couldn't see what was going on) eyed Aang's friend in weird look, still remembering the last time they came here.

"It’s good to see you Bumi!" Aang cried. Bumi and Aang brace each other into a hug.

"Yes, Aang. Good to see you too." King Bumi agreed. He eyed Zuko in a wonder, smiling. "What is this that you bring me, young Aang?" he asked.

"Well... Sokka please take off the bag..." Aang said. Sokka approached the now struggling fire bender. Just as Sokka took off the bag around Zuko’s head and the cloth from his mouth, everyone in the room gasp, wide eyed. Zuko snarled at them all, his golden eyes glowed with such horrible light, making some step back in fear.

Bumi giggled. “Ah the exile Fire Nation Prince Zuko. This is a surprise! I thought he and the rest of the royal family were killed during the invasion...” Bumi muttered to himself out loud.

“That’s what we thought.” Aang said nodding.

Bumi snort laughed again. “How did you come across this Prince?” he asked.

“It’s a long story, Bumi,” Aang started. Aang told him everything. How he, Katara, Sokka and Toph mystery entered into a Forest that was edge of the Fire Nation territory (now Earth Nation territory) and how they heard a shout. When they followed it they found Zuko and three others attacked by shadow beings, watching Zuko stabbed in a fatal wound, how they found him dead, taking his corpse to their camp site to bury them, and finding out that he wasn’t dead, but alive.

In the end of the story, Bumi and everyone else in the grand hall was shocked. Aang’s story was highly unbelievable, but they knew he wasn’t lying, why would the Avatar lie to them?

“So, Avatar, what did you come here, with him? Ba-Sing-Se, I believe is our capital.” Bumi asked, after Aang finished his story.

“I don’t want Zuko to be killed.” Aang confess to his friend. “If we brought Zuko to Ba-Sing-Se, they would’ve killed him out straight. I was thinking—,” Aang hesitated. “That we can let him live, to get information—”

“I WILL NOT YOU ANYTHING!” Zuko snarled, fighting the leather ropes around his wrists. Hearing these words, Aang flinch.

Bumi giggled again, not effected from Zuko’s outburst. “Now, now, Prince, you are not on the procession to have any choice in the matter—”

“I WILL NOT YOU ANYTHING, EARTH FILTH!” Zuko hissed, at the king. Everyone gasped again. No one ever in the history ever called the King that and lived. “Kill me, I don’t care, earth filth. I have nothing left to live for.” Zuko said, glaring at Bumi in a death glare.

Everyone didn’t move nor made a sound. They waited for what Bumi would do. Would he order the Prince’s death?

Bumi smiled, amused. “What about your uncle, huh? Do you care for him?” Bumi asked, grinning. Zuko’s golden orbs widened ever so slightly.

Zuko didn’t reply.

“Tell me, /Prince /Zuko,” Bumi said, mocking in his voice. “If you are alive, then others from the Fire Nation are as well. Tell me, where are they hiding?”

‘/Didn’t he hear me? Didn’t I told him I wouldn’t tell him anything?!’ /Zuko thought furiously. Zuko glared at the earth king in hatred, refusing to answer his question.

Without warning, an earth bender stepped forward behind Bumi’s throne, smacking Zuko across his face, as blood trickled down from his mouth. Zuko dropped to his back, rolling onto his stomach, hissing in pain, biting his lip refusing to cry out, knowing that the pain would go away in few seconds, as if nothing every happened. Less than a second later, his felt no pain, but knowing that his jaw was now broken.

Zuko started to laugh. They can hurt him all they want; the pain would only hurt him for a few seconds and nothing more. Few would view this as a gift, but all these years, Zuko come to realize its now more than a curse.

This angered the earth bender more, hearing the insane laugh, as if mocking him. The bender started hitting him, with his stone hammer, across his back, breaking few ribs. Zuko hissed, but continue to laugh.

Bumi had enough. He waved his hand in front of him. “Enough. We need him alive.” Bumi ordered.

The earth bender stopped. “Yes sir,” he said. He turned to the fire bender. “SPECK BEFORE THE KING!” the earth bender yelled, obeying his King.

Slowly Zuko sat up onto his knees, looking up to the earth bender’s eyes, and glancing at the King. “By my honor of my blood, soul and for my people,” Zuko started, “I will not tell you where they are!” he spit onto the earth bender’s face.

In rage, the earth bender slapped him, making Zuko’s head to snap towards it right. A dark hand print formed on Zuko’s left side of his face, making his scar darker in colour.

“STOP! You will kill him!” Katara yelled, stepping forward towards Zuko. Sokka stopped her.

“No, Katara, he is the enemy!” Sokka hissed at his sister.

“He is already injured Sokka! He could die!”

Before Sokka reply, Bumi spoke first. “The young lady is right. We need the Prince alive.” he glanced at the earth bender, who coward away from his King, his face blush red from both embarrassed and anger.

“Perhaps Aang, you and your friends go now and rest. Dinner will be ready shortly in your honor.” Bumi said. At these words, Sokka smiled, rubbing his stomach dreamily.

Aang didn’t want to leave Zuko. A few weeks ago, he thought bringing Zuko here was the right thing, but now—he wasn’t sure anymore. “Okay.” Aang said hesitating, nodding unsurely.

“I am up for it.” Toph agreed.

Seeing Aang’s unsure look, Bumi said, “He will not be killed, Aang, that I promise. Kenta (2) please escort them to their rooms.”

The earth bender, Kenta, stare at his King in a blank look, “Ah—which rooms?” he asked.

Bumi blinked. “The Northern rooms” he decided.

“Sire, there are the servants’ corridors.” Said one behind Kenta.

Bumi nodded thoughtfully. “Hmm.. Western?”

“Those are used for storage.”

“Really, Naoki (3)? No wonder I always get lost there. What are fell with?”

“Well sire—” Naoki began.

Sokka smacked his forehead. Aang and Katara sighed impatiently. Toph blink her blind eyes ‘Is this King more insane then Hothead?’

Zuko cringed in disgust. ‘/This is going to take awhile.’/ He thought bitterly.

-
0o0o0o0o0o0o
-


“Let us get this straight, Iroh: You want us to follow you to New Ozai to rescue Prince Zuko, because you felt that Prince Zuko is alive, even if you don’t have ANY prove that he is or not?” Icarus said, stepping forward towards Iroh.

Icarus was one of the tallest Fire Nation Generals in history, at six and half feet tall in height. He was muscluer, with long black hair and dark eyes. He wasn’t a fire bender, like his mother and father was before him, but with his strength of his muscles gave him, gave him the advange of the lack of his bending.

Iroh was sating in the middle of a circle, everyone in the forest, was sitting on the ground in a circle surrounding Iroh, listening of what he has to say. Dalibor sat behind him, his arms folded in front of his chest. He didn’t want to go, but by honor he must.

“Yes.” Iroh said.

“You got to be fucking kidding me.”

If it wasn’t the serious setuwion beforehand, this statement would’ve been funny.

“Zuko is our last hope of regaining our Nation. He will be a good Fire Lord--”

“Our Nation has ended long ago, Iroh. There is no hope for us!” yelled one from the crowd. At this statement, shouts and cries broke out.

“ENOUGH! ENOUGH!” bellowed Icarus. At last the forest was quiet again.

“You are mad, Iroh. Going to that Earth Kingdom is madness! It is like going to in the Dragon lair with no weapons! Think, Iroh, of what you are saying!”

“Zuko needs our help.” Iroh said. “You have a choice to go with me or not. I only ask for help.” Iroh, pulled out one of Zuko’s twin swords and drew a line in the dirt. “For those who wish to join me, come forth behind the line.”

No one moved.

Iroh sighed. He thought at least one person would help him...

Slowly, Takeshi stood up from the ground of where he sat, and walked across the line, bowing to Iroh, who was now smiling at him./ “By my honor, I will accompany you of your mission.”/ he said.

Iroh bowed.

Slowly other people started to cross the line. Icarus was shock of what he was seeing, interly he sighed. Damn that Dragon of the West! Sighing again, Icarus too across the line.

“It is settle then. Tonight to go to hell! Let the Spirits of the Dead and Life protect us! ”

“Aye!” bellowed the Fire Nation.

“Let no one live to tell the tell! No one takes our Prince without suffering punishment!”

The Fire Nation roared, raising their weapons and fire above their heads.

(End of Chapter)

(1) Daichi: a masculine (male) name in Japanese. /dai /means "large, great" combined with ? (/chi/) "Earth, land" or (/chi/) "wisdom, intellect"

(2) Kenta: 健太 male name in Japanese. From Japanese 健//(ken) "healthy, strong" and 太//(ta) "thick, big".

(3) Naoki:直樹 male name in Japanese. From Japanese 直//(nao) "honest, straight" and 樹//(ki) "tree".

(4) Icarus: a male name in Greek Mythology. From Greek (Ikaros) perhaps meaning “follower”. In Greek Icarus was the son of Daedalus, locked with his father inside the Labyrinth. They escaped from the maze using wings devised from wax but Icarus flew too close to the sun and the wax melted, plunging him to his death.

Words: 2,421

Author's Notes: Yeah, another chapter! I know, I know, this chapter sucks. And I wanted to be humor in this story, not just dark, evil, depressing fic. Sue me. But please don’t. If u do sue, then I can’t update this story. Hehe.

Thanks for the kind reviews, even if it was so few. :( Oh well. Please review!

---FireChildSlytheirn5
Sign up to rate and review this story