Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Laced With Nitroglycerin

11. Hard to Say

by aznfoblover 3 reviews

I suck. I know. I'm sorry.

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2007-11-20 - Updated: 2007-11-21 - 898 words - Complete

0Unrated
***
Chapter 11
Hard to Say (The Used)
"The singer finished singing and she's walking out..."
***

We went into the garage, still as nervous as we could ever be. I picked up my guitar, Brent got his bass, Spence took his place on his throne, and Brendon picked up a guitar and set up the electric piano. I took a few calming breaths, and we gave each other reassuring nods.

"I'm just gonna sit on this couch and you can start whenever you're ready. Don't feel rushed or anything," Pete said awkwardly, probably in an attempt to fill up the suffocating silence.

The only thing that I could think of was how Kate should've been there, watching us with Pete on that couch.

"Ryan? Ry. Come on man," I heard Brendon hissing at me. I snapped out of it and nodded at him. "Are you ready to go?" I took another deep breath and nodded.

"Um, this one's called 'I Constantly Thank God for Esteban,'" I said. We played it along with two others that we hadn't named yet. We had figured on just playing those three, but we might've added another one if Pete wanted us to.

I was so afraid that Pete was unimpressed, but he wasn't revealing anything through his expressions. He would just sit there, looking at each of us in turn, and making us all sweat. I know that I wasn't the only one messing up rhythms or missing beats or notes when his stare was trained on me. We weren't perfect, but I chalked it up to being nervous. After the last chords died out, we just stood there, waiting for a reaction. Pete was silent.

"You know, you don't have to be afraid of offending us if we were really that bad," Spencer said, sounding slightly panicked and a little impatient, but voicing all of our thoughts as we all nodded in agreement.

Pete just looked at us harder for a few seconds, his chin in his hand. "Well, I'm just gonna say it. You're all great guys from what I've seen of you. But you guys aren't the best band," he said. We all felt the blow to our egos, but we knew the truth. "That being said, you guys aren't the worst either. You have so much potential, and with a little bit of practice, hard work, and dedication, you can really be something great." What? What did he mean? He must have noticed our blank expressions, because he laughed. "I'm saying that maybe we can work together, get you guys recording and stuff." We all smiled at each other. This was it. Pete Wentz thought that we had potential. He wanted to work with us. I was ecstatic.

"So, now that this is over, think you guys might want to get something to eat?" Pete asked. We just nodded and went upstairs. I found Kate leaning on the door, trying to listen in. I just laughed, and we went outside to wait for the guys.

Once we were outside, I kissed her. "I'm guessing it went well?" she said, laughing as I spun her around. I nodded. "I only heard you guys playing. I couldn't really make out the talking part," she said sheepishly.

"He said that we weren't all that good, which wasn't a surprise," I said.

"Wait, I thought you said it went well," she said, confused. I nodded.

"I wasn't finished. He said we weren't that great, but that we had a lot of potential. He wants to work with us. This is it Kate!" I said, grabbing her hands in mine.

"I'm so proud of you guys," she said with a smile that didn't quite reach her teary eyes. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, wanting to ask her what was wrong. At that exact moment, the guys and Pete walked out.

"Hey, we're gonna go find some food. Wanna come, Kate?" Brendon asked. She took her hands from mine and passed off wiping away her tears as scratching the side of her nose.

"I actually think I'm gonna go home. You know, get some work done. I've got a huge project due Wednesday that I haven't started yet. But maybe next time," she said, looking at the ground with her hair falling in her eyes.

"OK," Brendon said awkwardly. "I guess I'll see you at home then." She mustered up the strength to look up and wave at everyone, and I saw more tears forming.

"It was nice to meet you, Pete," she said as she left. I ran a hand through my hair as the guys all turned and watched her leave and felt like running after her and holding her.

We went and ate at Marie Callendar's, not talking about Kate's sudden departure. I knew that Brendon had questions for me, but I couldn't talk to him in front of the others. And I had no clue what was wrong with Kate. I didn't really say much, just ate, and then got home as quickly as possible.

It was supposed to be the best day of my life, but I couldn't help but feel horrible that Kate had left.
***
A/N: I SUCK. I couldn't seem to find time to update this. I'm sorry. If you hate me, I understand. But please drop a review for me, and I'll love you forever.
Sign up to rate and review this story