Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Silver Feather

PLans and Talks

by someonerandom 0 reviews

Plans and Talks

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2007-12-01 - Updated: 2007-12-02 - 849 words

0Unrated
Chapter 5

“I’m not going to kill people who are no more guilty than we are, cause its not like I’ll be going against raiders, these people have done nothing to us.”

“But…father’s not backing down.” Sophie pointed out “Surely you cannot mean…” she stopped, unable to continue the sentence.

“Yes it does. But it is not as if I am of any importance to the line of succession. I’m 4th in line, my brothers are all strong and healthy, not to mention that I don’t the throne from any of them. I’ll simply disappear. I’m leaving tonight.”

“No you’re not!” said a familiar voice as the door creaked open and in entered… … …

Eric!

“Eric?” Sophie hissed “What are you doing in here-”

“You aren’t deserting,” Alrick ordered quietly, but firmly as he closed the door so that they couldn’t be overheard so easily. “Without my help. I know how to get around the guards and you know all the routes.”

“Wait a minute, why are you helping me? The army is you passion!” Ryan asked him

“It may be my passion little brother, but we all know it would destroy you, which is exactly why she is sending you.”

“And what about Hans? And Christophe?”

“Hans, well he needs some discipline and has no idea what the real world is like. He could potentially benefit from this. There’s no way the Capitan of his division will put him in danger. And I’ve already made arrangements for Christophe that will cater to his talents, the way father had originally planned. He will be alright, like Hans I’ve set him up with an aqquaintence of mine that won’t coddle him and really has no sense of humour, but his loyalty is unquestionable and he will protect him with his life, though to many who do not know him it won’t seem like it, which will protect him further.”

“Any escape route for us?” Sophie asked on behalf of her and the other younger two. Eric shook his head.

“Sorry.”

“Ah well. Nothing you can do.”

****
The next morning all gathered to bid their beloved princess farewell. She would be the first to leave, followed by her brothers over the next month. There were plenty of tears from some of her friends in the village as she climbed into the carriage, having just overruled about riding at least part of the way. Looking out the window in the back she waved until the crowd was out of sight.

“Sit down girl!” The stuffy shirted man next to her huffed. He was the Duke of Stormwolk in the kingdom she was about to be trapped in for a year. Biting back a retort the princess did so and took out a book to read only to have it snatched out of her hands by the Lady Elmira’s Uncle, the Earl of Raztor.

“Excuse me!” she exclaimed and tried to get it back.

“Why are you READING this?” he asked contemptuously as he held it tightly in his hands.

“It’s a good book! Now give it back!” she replied indignantly.

“It is not good for you to read so much.” He stated coldly

“You can’t ban books! Books are knowledge!”

“Can they teach one everything?” he asked sleekly

“Not everything, but they’re full of facts, useful information and enjoyment!”

“While you are in my brother’s kingdom you shall not trouble the stewards or scholars with your silly habits.”

“What?” Sophie exclaimed “You can’t just keep me from reading!”

“We will provide you with suitable material for your age and gender. Your mother has sent you to us to learn to become a proper lady.”

“I’m sorry, my age and WHAT?!”

“Sophia please!” Elmira begged

“No! If I’m going to be stuck in a strange place for an entire year, I will try be polite and considerate of your customs bu-”

“Good. Than we will talk no more of this!” The Earl said harshly. However, the young princess was NOT in the mood

“With all due respect SIR, I shall not be talked down to, I shall certainly not stand for insults pertaining to my gender, or any other feature or characteristic about my person!”

“While under our roof, you will abide by my rules.”

“Is that a threat?” she asked defensively. At his raised eyebrow she bridled “I might be young and a bit of a bookworm, but I am not stupid. Nor am I weak. I was raised by brothers remember.” She said icily. When she would look back on this, the princess would see that statement as a miscalculation, for she had inadvertently increased the Earl’s desire to break her to his will.

“Well. I think we shall have an interesting time then.” He replied curtly.

A.N: Another short chapter, but I'm trying to fill in some gaps in my story and am working on a low level of inspiration for the next chapter or two.
Sign up to rate and review this story